PDA

View Full Version : Became a darksider today

Bighutch14
04-21-2017, 08:20 PM
Thanks to jm15ddd21 for helping me get my Drivegaurd RF mounted and installed today. We went for a ride for a few hours. Almost immediately I knew I made a good decision. The bike felt so much more planted and more stable in the twisties. So where is the cookies?

jm21ddd15
04-22-2017, 05:49 AM
Glad to help. Was a good ride, too! New roads are always fun.

choptop
04-22-2017, 07:52 AM
Thanks to jm15ddd21 for helping me get my Drivegaurd RF mounted and installed today. We went for a ride for a few hours. Almost immediately I knew I made a good decision. The bike felt so much more planted and more stable in the twisties. So where is the cookies?

Good for you Hutch. Would still be Darkside if I had not picked up something on the way down to the Rally last year, will have to wear out the MT first.

Bighutch14
04-22-2017, 08:40 AM
Good for you Hutch. Would still be Darkside if I had not picked up something on the way down to the Rally last year, will have to wear out the MT first.

Tanks Chop. Im hoping to ride up your way this summer and check out the SHT BAR!

Felloverboard
04-22-2017, 11:04 AM
I have a Driveguard RF on my F6B with just over 25,000 miles on it, a couple thousand miles still easily left. Most miles were Highway, but some in the mountains including the Dragon 7 or 8 times with no issues. Always held to the road tight wet or dry. Was hard to mentally adjust tire pressure lower at first, but little by little with experimentation I settled about 28--30 psi. Would buy again, but am also curious about other RF tires.

willtill
04-22-2017, 11:16 AM
I have a Driveguard RF on my F6B with just over 25,000 miles on it, a couple thousand miles still easily left. Most miles were Highway, but some in the mountains including the Dragon 7 or 8 times with no issues. Always held to the road tight wet or dry. Was hard to mentally adjust tire pressure lower at first, but little by little with experimentation I settled about 28--30 psi. Would buy again, but am also curious about other RF tires.

I'm running 30psi currently in my Michelline Alpine PA3 RF. However I am going to reduce it to 28 in the warmer months, since it gains pressure from the increased temperatures in the non-winter months.

Bighutch14
04-22-2017, 07:32 PM
I started with 31.5 lbs and will adjust from there. Have done about 400-500 miles and it feels great. Will check tread depth regularly.

wiggy
04-22-2017, 08:33 PM
Bighutch,

Congrats on becoming a Darksider. And I think you made a great choice of tire. There's a growing legion of folks on here going with the Driveguard Runflat.

Felloverboard, 25k so far. That's awesome! My only other experience with Darkside was with a Yoko Avid Envigor. While the tire performed ok, 14k on the mileage just wasn't
satisfactory enough for me. My Driveguard is just as planted as the Yoko, probably more. To know it will get twice the mileage is a big bonus!
Thanks for chiming in!

wiggy
04-22-2017, 08:38 PM

Bighutch,

Did you use the layover method to change out the tire? Or did you jack up the bike and remove it through the rear area?

Felloverboard
04-22-2017, 09:05 PM
I laid an old blanket down in the grass and lowered it on it from the edge of the drive. Placed a short 2 x 4 under the center stand when laid down to raise the wheel up a little extra.... no damage. I did get another person to help me lower and raise the bike back up. I have an F6B....

Steve 0080
04-22-2017, 11:09 PM
Our group is growing !!!!!!!

Bighutch14
04-22-2017, 11:12 PM
Bighutch,

Did you use the layover method to change out the tire? Or did you jack up the bike and remove it through the rear area?

Layed her over. Easy Peasy

Bighutch14
04-22-2017, 11:15 PM
Our group is growing !!!!!!!

Glad to be part of the group. So Steve, how does someone get their darkside #. I see you are #1617.

willtill
04-23-2017, 05:31 AM
I laid an old blanket down in the grass and lowered it on it from the edge of the drive. Placed a short 2 x 4 under the center stand when laid down to raise the wheel up a little extra.... no damage. I did get another person to help me lower and raise the bike back up. I have an F6B....

Personally I wouldn't lay it over on the grass... there's minimum clearance between the saddlebags when in the laid over position; if those crash guards sink into the dirt under the grass...

jm21ddd15
04-23-2017, 07:24 AM

Bighutch could lay the bike over and pick it back up with 1 hand. I helped with the wheel removal, but he did the lifting. Looked like a toy when he stood it up!: yikes:

wiggy
04-23-2017, 08:55 AM

Ok, thanks for the info. That'll be my route next time.

Steve 0080
04-23-2017, 09:12 AM
Glad to be part of the group. So Steve, how does someone get their darkside #. I see you are #1617.

There is a guy on the GL1800 board that is assigned that task...maybe we should start our own!

I also have some round lapel pins that say, I ( heart/love ) the dark side. I can't load a pic of same :(.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/483598760/star-wars-i-heart-the-dark-side-official?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=I%20heart%20the%20dark%20side&ref=sr_gallery_2

They look like this only they are round pins about the size of a quarter... If anyone would like to buy one send me $5 with a self addressed envelope with two regular stamps and I will send you one.

choptop
04-23-2017, 04:52 PM
Tanks Chop. Im hoping to ride up your way this summer and check out the SHT BAR!

Anytime, but the weekend of the party is June 24th.

Bighutch14
04-23-2017, 05:45 PM
Ok, thanks for the info. That'll be my route next time.

We are pretty close to each other. Give me a shout and if I'm available I could come down to assist.

wiggy
04-23-2017, 07:08 PM
We are pretty close to each other. Give me a shout and if I'm available I could come down to assist.

Thanks for the offer, Bighutch. I'm ok with the concept of laying the bike over and would have no physical problem doing it---or righting it.

I just didn't do it last time because I had a full tank of gas and didn't want the bike to be laying on it's side for a few days while the new tire came in and then got mounted.
My lead inserts gave way over time in my garage floor and I just need to put new inserts in to remount my Harbor Freight tire changer.

But I wouldn't mind riding up to the border sometime and sharing the wind with you.