PDA

View Full Version : Climbing Grand Father Mountain

carreramia
04-24-2017, 02:43 PM
So I continue to plan this trip we'll take in June down the Blue Ridge Parkway...some of you have already responded on an other thread with ideas on twisties and other things to plan for. But my question is I've heard it is difficult to drive a motorcycle up to the top of Grand Father Mountain, that it is steep and twisty and you have to deal with cars ahead of you. Some say it is not recommended. Hmmm.....It's 2 miles according to their website, and we plan to be there in the middle of the week which may reduce car traffic. Anyone here has any experience doing this?

2wheelsforme
04-24-2017, 03:58 PM
That is exactly what I would be looking for if I was in the area on my bike. Look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqwNwxko1dw

Allen Framen
04-24-2017, 04:09 PM
I have not ridden to the top of Grandfather Mountain. The last time I was in the area, traffic was so heavy that I turned around. I think that it was an opening weekend.

That being said, an F6B can handle twisties with steep elevation changes. However, you must allow extra room in front of you so that you can complete each hairpin turn without having to stop. And when negotiating an uphill hairpin, start slowly enough that you can stay on the gas until you have exited the hairpin and can reach the ground with either foot.

I hope that makes sense.

allen

carreramia
04-24-2017, 06:14 PM
That is exactly what I would be looking for if I was in the area on my bike. Look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqwNwxko1dw

Thanks!! Perfect, now we know what to expect! What views!!

speedjunkie
04-24-2017, 08:38 PM
Been up 2x on bikes. You can't get up enough speed except down to be dangerous. You do have to worry about too slow and potentially falling over. It's worse near the top. I was there in June & September, traffic wasn't an issue.

Mike

53driver
04-24-2017, 08:50 PM
I've got a friend who rode up Grandfather Mountain one-handed.
Not your average rider.....
Cheers,
Steve

Phantom
04-24-2017, 09:01 PM

Excellent Video !!!

I did this run several years ago, it was not as difficult as some in our group at that time had made it out to be. Today it will cost you $20 to enter.

Steve 0080
04-25-2017, 06:57 AM
Some...new riders find trouble deciding which foot to put down. Other than that, pace yourself so you don't need to stop!

Worth the trip up to the top.

fast eddie
04-25-2017, 08:46 AM
Well worth the ride no worries just use your head enjoy the view and be safe. Been up there around8-10 times loved every trip

willtill
04-25-2017, 09:12 AM
They looked like they were hauling ass in that video... maybe it was just the FPS being played back at a slightly more than normal speed.

wjduke
04-25-2017, 11:51 AM
I've got a friend who rode up Grandfather Mountain one-handed.
Not your average rider.....
Cheers,
Steve

Maybe the same friend who did the dragon one handed? :shock:

53driver
04-25-2017, 01:18 PM
Maybe the same friend who did the dragon one handed? :shock:

...with cigar....

wjduke
04-25-2017, 01:31 PM
...with cigar....
BABC...

Bdog
04-25-2017, 01:35 PM
Only been up Grandfather MT. once and that was in a car. The road up was very steep and curvy. What I wasn't expecting was that when we got to the top it was VERY windy. Wasn't like that at the bottom. It was actually difficult it walk in the parking lot and the wind rocked my vehicle. Might want to check on this if you can before ascending.

53driver
04-25-2017, 03:02 PM
BABC...

BBE....SG

carreramia
06-26-2017, 06:13 AM
Hi all, dropped in to say I just returned from my Blue Ridge trip...put over 1,940 miles on the bike and along the way starting at Front Royal, VA back to Florida did Grandfather Mt., and it was a thrill. The video posted above did lots for my confidence so I want to thank that contributor. Luckily we arrived at Grandfather Mt., too late on Tuesday last week to go up as the people at the gate recommended that we return first thing the next morning (Wednesday) as many cars were already making their way to the top. We did exactly that, parked by the gate at 8am when they opened and we had the circuit up all to ourselves and I'm glad. Those switchbacks would have been a nervous challenge had cars been ahead of us or coming down. Anyway, went up, took lots of pictures from up there, some really beautiful views, crossed the mile high bridge, went back down again without any sort of car traffic and finished it in one piece!

By the way, another contributor here recommended getting off the Blue Ridge before arriving at Grandfather Mt., and doing road 221. Wow!! We loved it! About 14 miles of twisties, and that Blowing Rock rock sticking out over the roadway! Looks exactly like a rock giant blowing wind, this one a giant boulder sticking out the side of the mountain. Did the 221 twice, once each way, then got back on the BR. Finished the trip at the Dragon, where we spent almost 2 days riding and then returned to Florida. The people in my group want to thank the contributor who recommended in another thread to do 221, so here goes: "Thanks!!!".

By the way, spent 12 hours from Milledgville, GA to Port Charlotte, FL, the last five on grueling I-75 (from Lake City, FL), where the temp hit 97! We were cooking in more ways than one!!