PDA

View Full Version : Steelmate TPMS question

DMAGOLDRDR
04-25-2017, 06:57 PM
Has anyone using Steelmate worn out the battery. I am curious because I have noticed when first starting out for a ride the front sends updated PSI almost instant once the wheels start rolling, but the rear takes almost a mile to update.
I am thinking a battery change may be needed but thought I would ask.

willtill
04-25-2017, 08:13 PM
Has anyone using Steelmate worn out the battery. I am curious because I have noticed when first starting out for a ride the front sends updated PSI almost instant once the wheels start rolling, but the rear takes almost a mile to update.
I am thinking a battery change may be needed but thought I would ask.

My rear tire takes a while to register as opposed to the front; but it doesn't take a mile. Normally I see the cold value for the rear register within 500-1000 feet of distance traveled. Sometimes less.

DMAGOLDRDR
04-26-2017, 06:10 AM
My rear tire takes a while to register as opposed to the front; but it doesn't take a mile. Normally I see the cold value for the rear register within 500-1000 feet of distance traveled. Sometimes less.

Thanks, I guess I will try a new battery just for a comparison.

98valk
04-26-2017, 04:18 PM
I have not worn out a battery yet.

I noticed that the rear sensor does not register as easily as the front. I figured it has more difficulty getting the signal to the receiver because of more bike in the way.

My memory is pretty much useless. But, I believe that I swapped sensors and reprogrammed them and had the same results. Hence thinking it's tougher to get a signal "through" the bike.

willtill
04-26-2017, 04:30 PM
I have not worn out a battery yet.

I noticed that the rear sensor does not register as easily as the front. I figured it has more difficulty getting the signal to the receiver because of more bike in the way.

My memory is pretty much useless. But, I believe that I swapped sensors and reprogrammed them and had the same results. Hence thinking it's tougher to get a signal "through" the bike.

You could be right. A weak battery could contribute more to that effect. But don't these CR2032 lithium batteries go "tits up" fairly quickly once they lose their charge?

DMAGOLDRDR
04-27-2017, 05:58 AM
Thanks guys, you may be right about the signal.

I hope to have time this weekend to prep my old 78 and wake it from it's winter hibernation. I put TPMS on that also and will see how that does.

53driver
04-27-2017, 08:31 AM
I need tech training here....is this statement true?
"The Steelmate TPMS will not give you readings until you are rolling."

Thanks,
Steve

willtill
04-27-2017, 09:09 AM
I need tech training here....is this statement true?
"The Steelmate TPMS will not give you readings until you are rolling."

Thanks,
Steve

Yes.

The Steelmate sensors start transmitting when the wheel is in motion Steve. They become dormant again, after a period of wheel inactivity. Prolongs the battery life in the sensor.

The display unit will "remember" the last recorded tire pressures and temperatures when you turn the bike back on. Once the wheels are in motion again; it will update to the current readings.

I know others have a Fobp TPMS and like it...

....but I like the Steelmate TPMS because I may not always have my I-Phone with me. But the Steelmate TPMS display is always there on the bike.

53driver
04-27-2017, 02:27 PM
Yes.

The Steelmate sensors start transmitting when the wheel is in motion Steve. They become dormant again, after a period of wheel inactivity. Prolongs the battery life in the sensor.

The display unit will "remember" the last recorded tire pressures and temperatures when you turn the bike back on. Once the wheels are in motion again; it will update to the current readings.

I know others have a Fobp TPMS and like it...

....but I like the Steelmate TPMS because I may not always have my I-Phone with me. But the Steelmate TPMS display is always there on the bike.

Got it! Thanks.
I'm a FOBO user and one of the things I like is that I can walk out to the bike, check pressures, and fire up the compressor if necessary, without turning on the bike.
I guess if you don't have a compressor in your shop, then finding out on the way to the service station air compressor is really no big deal.
The system is on all the time, but the batteries last over a year so that's not really an issue.
Yes, it requires a phone/app device. I might have to dedicate an older phone to Isleen and just keep it on her at all times running the app.
Doesn't require cell service, just BT.

Cool.

I learned something today. Thanks Will!
Cheers,
Steve

DMAGOLDRDR
04-27-2017, 04:18 PM
Got it! Thanks.
I'm a FOBO user and one of the things I like is that I can walk out to the bike, check pressures, and fire up the compressor if necessary, without turning on the bike.
I guess if you don't have a compressor in your shop, then finding out on the way to the service station air compressor is really no big deal.
The system is on all the time, but the batteries last over a year so that's not really an issue.
Yes, it requires a phone/app device. I might have to dedicate an older phone to Isleen and just keep it on her at all times running the app.
Doesn't require cell service, just BT.Cool.I learned something today. Thanks Will!
Cheers,
Steve

I looked at the FOBO but not having a smart phone pushed me to Steelmate.

One time I actually fired up the bike and pulled it up into 3rd at idle while on the center stand and spun it up to wake up the sensor and check the rear PSI before riding off.

willtill
04-27-2017, 05:17 PM
The main reason that I got a TPMS was because of the run flat car tire I mounted last summer. I'm more concerned with watching the tire pressure of it as it gets warmed up; because I am new to the Dark Side of things. And since it's a run flat, I may have no idea that it lost air at all while I'm underway.... :shock:

DMAGOLDRDR
06-19-2017, 07:06 PM
I changed the battery in the rear sending unit and no change, so I swapped rear units from my other Motorcycle and reprogramed them to each bike. Still no change.

The front will update as I roll the bike out of the garage. It should be quick as it is close the readout receiver. BUT the rear still takes 2 to 3 miles before it updates. This only happens on the F6B, my 78 Wing rear readout is also slow to react but not miles like the F6B.
I called Steelmate USA in California but they do not sell this system and have no tech support for it.

I suppose I will live with it for now as I feel it is just a weak system but probably will change systems before to long..

2wheelsforme
06-20-2017, 02:49 PM
The Garmin tire pressure monitors also do not transmit until the tire rolls. Additionally the rear is also slower to respond to the readout on the GPS unit.

98valk
06-20-2017, 04:33 PM
I changed the battery in the rear sending unit and no change, so I swapped rear units from my other Motorcycle and reprogramed them to each bike. Still no change.

The front will update as I roll the bike out of the garage. It should be quick as it is close the readout receiver. BUT the rear still takes 2 to 3 miles before it updates. This only happens on the F6B, my 78 Wing rear readout is also slow to react but not miles like the F6B.
I called Steelmate USA in California but they do not sell this system and have no tech support for it.

I suppose I will live with it for now as I feel it is just a weak system but probably will change systems before to long..

Thanks for the update.

I'll have to pay more attention to mine and see how long it takes to get a new reading. I'll let you know ...

Antennas are funny magical things and not my expertise. But, I would guess that the power wiring of the receiver plays a part in the reception.

Wrapping/spiralling a wire around and along the power wires (not physically electrically connected) and then running it towards the rear of the bike might aid in the reception of the rear transmitter. Just a wag, and a pita, but a thought ... :shrug:

Edit: My wiring is easily available. I may give this a try and see if it helps in the next couple of days ...

DMAGOLDRDR
06-20-2017, 08:14 PM
The Garmin tire pressure monitors also do not transmit until the tire rolls. Additionally the rear is also slower to respond to the readout on the GPS unit.

Thanks for the added info, good to know.

DMAGOLDRDR
06-20-2017, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the update.

I'll have to pay more attention to mine and see how long it takes to get a new reading. I'll let you know ......

I have been wondering if I was the only one with this issue ??

98valk
07-06-2017, 11:49 AM
I have been wondering if I was the only one with this issue ??

No useful news on this TPMS. I've been watching and lately, the rear sensor sends a signal while I am backing down the driveway. In fact, before the front sensor sends its signal.

I know at times, one or both of them have been very slow about reacting. Something must move in the sensor when the tire spins. Maybe it is moving easier now that it is hot outside. :shrug:

I'll keep monitoring and see what happens. When I need new batteries, I'll have a good look inside and see what is going on in there.

As a quick and interesting test, you could swap front and rear sensors without reprogramming them and see what happens ... :popcorn:

DMAGOLDRDR
07-06-2017, 12:44 PM
No useful news on this TPMS. As a quick and interesting test, you could swap front and rear sensors without reprogramming them and see what happens ... :popcorn:

As an update
A new battery did not help...

I have a second Steelmate TPMS unit on my old 78 GL1000 and so I swapped the rear sensors and it made no difference in time to update, although both units seem to work quicker on the Old Wing then on the F6B.

Now it could be the F6B has more electronics on it or it has to do with the position of the receiver. On my Old Wing the receiver is mounted up on the Handlebars but on the F6B the receiver is mounted down in the tunnel along side where the Right Handlebar mounts.

98valk
07-07-2017, 01:50 PM
As an update
A new battery did not help...

I have a second Steelmate TPMS unit on my old 78 GL1000 and so I swapped the rear sensors and it made no difference in time to update, although both units seem to work quicker on the Old Wing then on the F6B.

Now it could be the F6B has more electronics on it or it has to do with the position of the receiver. On my Old Wing the receiver is mounted up on the Handlebars but on the F6B the receiver is mounted down in the tunnel along side where the Right Handlebar mounts.

I understand what you have already done and are about through with this. But ---- swapping the front and rear without reprogramming would be an easy test. And there would be no other variables to deal with. What if both of the sensors you put on the rear are not exactly the same/as good as on the front? If you would humor me, I'd like to know the outcome. :popcorn:

DMAGOLDRDR
07-07-2017, 03:23 PM
I understand what you have already done and are about through with this. But ---- swapping the front and rear without reprogramming would be an easy test. And there would be no other variables to deal with. What if both of the sensors you put on the rear are not exactly the same/as good as on the front? If you would humor me, I'd like to know the outcome. :popcorn:

I will give it a shot this weekend.
I have to replace the Front Brake Pads and will be rolling around on a creeper anyway...

98valk
07-07-2017, 03:47 PM
I will give it a shot this weekend.
I have to replace the Front Brake Pads and will be rolling around on a creeper anyway...

Thank you, Sir! :yes:

DMAGOLDRDR
07-20-2017, 06:31 AM
My long term use of Steelmate TPMS review is not very good.

Just as an FYI for anyone interested.

The front tire sender unit on both my Motorcycles works well BUT the rear on both bikes is very inconsistent. Sometime taking up to 3 miles before it updates the PSI. Also it seems to loose the signal from time to time and I get no reading just a red -- that shows no PSI. A call to one of their tech supports was useless as they told me they do not have tech support for this system only their alarm system and I should call another phone number that is not Steelmate but does install them.

The Steelmate TPMS system seems to work for 95% of the time and is still a helpful tool but I always wonder if the reading is correct. Not very confidence inspiring.

I am done swapping units from bike to bike and running tests.

willtill
07-20-2017, 07:57 AM
My long term use of Steelmate TPMS review is not very good.

Just as an FYI for anyone interested.

The front tire sender unit on both my Motorcycles works well BUT the rear on both bikes is very inconsistent. Sometime taking up to 3 miles before it updates the PSI. Also it seems to loose the signal from time to time and I get no reading just a red -- that shows no PSI. A call to one of their tech supports was useless as they told me they do not have tech support for this system only their alarm system and I should call another phone number that is not Steelmate but does install them.

The Steelmate TPMS system seems to work for 95% of the time and is still a helpful tool but I always wonder if the reading is correct. Not very confidence inspiring.

I am done swapping units from bike to bike and running tests.

That sucks. You must've gotten a less than stellar unit for the rear sensor. Mine are still working correctly. Fingers crossed. :tapfing:

98valk
07-20-2017, 12:02 PM
I'm still experimenting with mine. I even took one of them completely apart. Not a good idea! They are sealed and have itty bitty surface mount components around the edge, the size of a pinhead, begging to be stripped off.

One thing that I noticed is that the battery seems to fit pretty loose. So I stuffed a piece of plastic foam in the holder to put some added pressure on the battery.

Right now, both of my sensors will react just moving the bike in or out of the garage. I'll have to keep checking for inconsistencies ...

Check your temps and your pressure. The temps can change even when the pressure does not, indicating a good sensor response.

"--" is definitely not good! Try the foam? :shrug:

Another thought: Radio interference - the amp is in the way. Try it with and without the radio on?

DMAGOLDRDR
07-20-2017, 12:44 PM
That sucks. You must've gotten a less than stellar unit for the rear sensor. Mine are still working correctly. Fingers crossed. :tapfing:

I thought that way at first but I have TWO separate units on TWO different bikes and issues with both rear units. I even swapped the rear units between bikes for a test.
1) 2013 F6B
2) 1978 GL1000

I am glad you have no problems. You are not alone, seems many more good reviews than bad. I just ended up on the bad list. HA HA ... Not the first "bad list" I have been put on and probably not the last.

DMAGOLDRDR
07-20-2017, 12:49 PM
I'm still experimenting with mine. I even took one of them completely apart. Not a good idea! They are sealed and have itty bitty surface mount components around the edge, the size of a pinhead, begging to be stripped off.
One thing that I noticed is that the battery seems to fit pretty loose. So I stuffed a piece of plastic foam in the holder to put some added pressure on the battery.
Right now, both of my sensors will react just moving the bike in or out of the garage. I'll have to keep checking for inconsistencies ...
Check your temps and your pressure. The temps can change even when the pressure does not, indicating a good sensor response.
"--" is definitely not good! Try the foam? :shrug:
Another thought: Radio interference - the amp is in the way. Try it with and without the radio on?

I thought about interference from electronics also as I have a CB in the left saddlebag, but that doesn't explain my issue with my 1978 Wing with no electronics and no body work. Not even saddlebags on that bike. It's an old naked GL1000.

I did try a new battery but did not snug it up with foam. I'll give it one last try and see if the battery connections are it.

98valk
07-20-2017, 09:28 PM
Well, I spoke too soon. Just when I thought that all was well.

Just now, I took the bike out and the rear sensor worked immediately. The front sensor took a couple of miles before it registered the new pressure & temp.

It appears that this is an intermittent problem. I used to have the problem on the rear sensor. I swapped front and rear without reprogramming and the problem has moved to the front. So it must be the sensor.

I guess that I should try reprogramming it while it is on the front and see what happens. But I think that it is going to be a bad contact inside the sensor.

When I had it apart, I could see some surface mount components and the pressure sensor thing-a-ma-bob. I was hoping to see what ever they used to trigger the sensor when the wheel moves (a spring, a ball, something). I did not see anything. Next time I am in there, I will remove all the sealant and see if I can find the trigger mech.

Just following up ...:stirthepot: