PDA

View Full Version : Possible owner with a few question

Webo
10-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Well,as the title says I am looking at a new bike and right now it's between the F6B or the 2014 Street Glide with NAV. Right now I'm riding a Can Am RS-S and just miss the leaning in the corners. My bike before the RSS was a 07 Street Glide and while I really like HD I'm not married to them, hence the Can Am. Most of the people I ride with have HD's but at this point I'm looking at comfort, power, and fun factor. At the same time safety is important and that's why I bought the Can Am. It appears the F6B is not offered with ABS but I believe the brakes are linked to some degree. Is this true and do you think they will offer a F6B with ABS? And second I was wondering how the radio sounded with a larger windshield? Thanks for the info and I will continue to lurk around trying to gather as much info as possible.

Here is a pic I had of the RSS on the iPad from this years Bikes, Blues, and BBQ rally on the Pig Trail.

mikey
10-07-2013, 05:00 PM
if you liked the Harley, you'll love this f6. I rode Harleys many, many miles & this bike has 'em covered. you will be less fatigued on long rides, and WAY LESS up keep. I know. been there, done that h-d thang. you'll love it!:icon_lol:

Steve 0080
10-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Raido is fine with a taller windshield....funny there was a big back and forth on another board about this same type question......I went yesterday and looked at the 2014 H.D. models...yes they look very good !!!!! Having said that I ride a F6B !!!! Compare apples and apples starting with $$$$ .....

Webo
10-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Yes the F6B can be had for about 5k less than the SG with Nav so that is a big bonus for sure! The power the F6B has to offer out of the box is the second plus. My brothers SG has about 10k in the 103 so I need something that will keep up without investing $ right off the bat. While the Can Am can keep the tail lights in the same zip code I'm afraid the 2014 SG might not off the floor..lol.. He dyno'd his bike this spring and the damn thing put down 129hp and 131tq, but for 10k plus the cost of the bike it should...lol... As for the brakes are they linked on the F6B?

JesseS
10-07-2013, 06:22 PM
First to your questions.
Not sure if Honda will ever add ABS to this bike, possible but I don't think so as this is a sport version.

As for the Stereo I swapped out for the Honda Tall shield with vents, I am 6'2 and the height is perfect, I can hear the stereo just fine at all speeds.

And yes the brakes are linked, applying either the front or rear will also apply the other brake at about 30%. Actually this is the hardest thing I had to get used to, the brakes on this bike are VERY GOOD, much better than my VTX, and I had to get used to a light foot on the peddle to keep from whipsawing the spouse into my helmet:icon_rolleyes: You are going to just love this bike, more fun than I have had in a while.

Steve 0080
10-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Buy the F6B and see if you B in Law can keep up !!!!

Webo
10-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the info on the brakes and the radio. That's another thing I miss with the Can Am is the external radio. I've been using my Bluetooth helmet but sometimes it's nice for the driver and passenger to be able to listen to the same thing. I think the linked brakes are a nice option when no ABS is offered. Since the Can Am only has a foot brake I will have to adjust to grabbing the hand brake again...lol... I think I might actually miss the Brembo brakes on this thing with ABS as it will about through you off the front in panic stops. As for keeping up with my brother we rider with a 2012 GW that's is badass but it won't outrun his bike. They are about 25hp short at the rear tire and weigh almost 200lbs more. But again he has 40k in his bike between the bike, motor, and accessories and it's not the normal stock Harley. We also ride with a 2012 Heritage with a stock 103 and the GW will destroy his bike, heck the Can Am will walk on the stock 103. Again thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and if you don't mind I have one more.

Does the F6B run on 87 or does it require super unleaded of 91 to 93?

1951vbs
10-07-2013, 07:48 PM
87 octane and it works great, no ping.
I have had several HD's including 3 eletra glides turned into street-glides (way before HD caught on) and they are OK but EVERYBODY has one now and they don't handle worth beans. The motor difference is one reason I am on the F6B. I am sick of spending $$$$ to get a Harley to run. My last Electra (Street) Glide was the Undresser 2. 113 inch Kendall Johnson 125HP/135TQ 6 speed hot rod 1998! Street Glides are old news. Don't go back.

fl1madmax
10-07-2013, 07:56 PM
Well,as the title says I am looking at a new bike and right now it's between the F6B or the 2014 Street Glide with NAV. Right now I'm riding a Can Am RS-S and just miss the leaning in the corners. My bike before the RSS was a 07 Street Glide and while I really like HD I'm not married to them, hence the Can Am. Most of the people I ride with have HD's but at this point I'm looking at comfort, power, and fun factor. At the same time safety is important and that's why I bought the Can Am. It appears the F6B is not offered with ABS but I believe the brakes are linked to some degree. Is this true and do you think they will offer a F6B with ABS? And second I was wondering how the radio sounded with a larger windshield? Thanks for the info and I will continue to lurk around trying to gather as much info as possible.

Here is a pic I had of the RSS on the iPad from this years Bikes, Blues, and BBQ rally on the Pig Trail.

Ive had over 20 scooters, always like the Gold Wing for power and ease of Maintainability, the F6B has the power
of a Kawasaki Concurs, the Tunes of a Harley , and the GRIN FACTOR of my FZ1, , it will pull the front tire on if you slam second gear, try that with your Harley, Best scooter I ever rode, waiting on Ultimate seat, and V&H pipes, taller shield and tunes including satellite are second to none !!!! LOVE IT , just did my first service, 4 quarts of oil

( Amsoil ) 20/50 and I'm good for 10,000 miles.......

HogSlayer
10-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Honda has been refining the goldwing into the finest touring motorcycle second to none!
The horizontally opposed WATER COOLED motor was designed with endurance/life span in mind.
I like lots of others on this forum have owned or still own the valkyrie, rune and full touring
goldwing. I have NEVER had a leak out of any of the flat sixes I've owned and Im talking
lots of miles on those motors! Absolutely smooth power with NO vibration!
Ive owned my F6 for 2 weeks and when I ride it I never want to get off of it and
when I have to get off all I think about is the next ride. It manuvers like a bike
half it's size!
I've owned HD's, rode them for 20 years but IMHO HD's were great for their time but their time has passed, air cooled still! You live in a hot area that screams for a water cooled motor.
As far as being able to run with your HD buds, my buds call me HOGslayer for a reason
and no I'm not a butcher:icon_biggrin:
I've rode a hd sg, you'll get alot more bike for your money if ya choose the F6 but
then I have a serious F6 ocd goin on! :bowdown:

Webo
10-07-2013, 08:16 PM
All great information guys really appreciate the feedback! I hear you on the SG being old news and everyone having one. There are HD best selling bike now and they are a dime a dozen here in Dallas. That was another plus on the Spyder, not something you see at every other stop light! You mention maintenance on the F6B being a selling point so what are the major mileage maintenance point for this bike and what's the average cost for those in a year for someone that rides say 10k?

motozeke
10-07-2013, 09:36 PM
First to your questions.
Not sure if Honda will ever add ABS to this bike, possible but I don't think so as this is a sport version.

Argh, sore point... other markets (even Canada!) have ABS so they actually had to go to the effort of *not* offering it in the U.S.. Probably because the base Goldwing doesn't have ABS would be my guess.

It's just nuts to me though. They are offering ABS on their budget bikes... this sucker is $20K, no reason it shouldn't have ABS at least as an option (like part of the Deluxe package). Grrrr... :banghead:

F6B-RICH
10-07-2013, 09:38 PM
I came from a Canam Spyder 2010 RS-S. I love the F6B and will probably be in my garage for a long time.I had the usual HD motorcycles before the Spyder and the F6B is better then all of them.The Spyder is safer with 3 wheels and very fun to ride but I missed the leaning and was sick and tired of that dam limp mode :banghead:

Scotrod
10-07-2013, 09:40 PM
I've never had ABS on a bike before. The old VTX 1800 had linked brakes. I liked 'em then, and I like 'em now. :icon_biggrin:

I gotta get used to the quiet / no vibe ride of this bike,,, Almost fell asleep the other day!! :shock:

1951vbs
10-07-2013, 09:41 PM
For me the linked brakes are great. Pull front get 66% frt 33% rear not sure where the other 1% goes. Trail brake into a corner (unless you are Big Dawg) 66% rear 33% front. Anyway it works for me.:clap2:

Scotrod
10-07-2013, 09:53 PM
You mention maintenance on the F6B being a selling point so what are the major mileage maintenance point for this bike and what's the average cost for those in a year for someone that rides say 10k?

From the manual:
4 qts 10w-30 or 10w-40 oil and filter every 8k.
Air filter is buried under a lot of Tupperware. Some say 'hours' to remove/replace. 12k intervals but many go farther and/or go K+N and 'forget' about for extended periods of time.
Plugs 16k
4 ounces of final drive oil replaced every 24k
Check valve clearance 32k

Couldn't tell ya how much $. I do all my own.

4DI2D
10-08-2013, 10:36 AM
I use Valvoline Premium Blue 15-40 in my 302 Bronco, my wife's 3.5L Sebring and my F6B. Bosch 3323 filter is longer for better filtration. Mileage intervals are owners choice, but I would NEVER go 8K with an engine I wanted to keep.
It's a 300,000 mile motor if it's maintained.
Ride it like you stole it, service it and keep it going long after the Harley turns to rust and recycles itself.

jlyon
10-08-2013, 03:01 PM

I have a 2009 H-D Fat Bob CVO 110 CU and a 2009 H-D Ultra 103 CU with about $5K in engine work to bump it to a 103 with Hi comp heads and a speedy cam.... I just bought my F6B, and I mean JUST bought it !!! I had to wait three hours at the dealership for them to finish putting it together before I rode it from Md to S.C. for the Myrtle Beach rally !!! Let me tell you... I FREAKIN' LOVE THIS BIKE !!!! It corners as good as my Fat Bob, Carries more than my Ultra, is faster / quieter / smoother than either of them and is an all around great bike (in my 40+ years of riding I've owned all the Japanese bikes as well as my H-D's)... It has taken it's place in my stable, and if I have to release one of the bikes for room's sake, it will NOT be the F6B !!!

Dmoon64
10-08-2013, 03:08 PM
US F6B's do not have ABS. Unless someone has input from US Honda we can only speculate whether mother Honda will release a 2014 F6B with ABS or cruise control. If they do expect the non ABS and cc versions to tank in resale. I had an email from a guy who bought his F6B Deluxe at roughly $4000 off retail so there are deals to be had that save a lot of money versus the $23,000 Street Glide.

Comfort is subjective. Take the longest test ride you can on both bikes.
Stock the F6B is a faster bike. It pulls like a freight train. That may be important now, but how about in a year or two?
All bikes are fun. :icon_lol:
Brakes are linked on the F6B. They take some getting used to especially in low speed maneuvers when you drag your back brake. I've gotten used to them though.
I've bought two windshield and I still need a bigger one. For me the radio suck. Very little bass makes it to my ears. This is my first bike with a radio though, maybe it's just the nature of the beast.

Good luck with whatever you buy. If I had it to do over again I would have bought the Road Glide.

Scotrod
10-08-2013, 04:49 PM
if I had it to do over again I would have bought the Road Glide.

2013, or wait for the 15? The Rushmore improvements are many. If I was determined to go with an RG, I'd wait for the 2015.

YMMV!

bobbyf6b
10-08-2013, 05:51 PM
If I had it to do over again I would have bought the Road Glide.

You would hate the speakers on the RG even more. I upgraded the speakers on my SG and they still sucked. F6B speakers are way better IMO.

dickiedeals
10-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Argh, sore point... other markets (even Canada!) have ABS so they actually had to go to the effort of *not* offering it in the U.S.. Probably because the base Goldwing doesn't have ABS would be my guess.

It's just nuts to me though. They are offering ABS on their budget bikes... this sucker is $20K, no reason it shouldn't have ABS at least as an option (like part of the Deluxe package). Grrrr... :banghead:

My .02 cents about ABS. I Had ABS brakes on my 2011 Road Glide Ultra. The linked brakes on the F6B are far superior than ABS brakes.
The F6B will stop in two thirds less distance. I in fact learned real quick to not squeeze or mash the pedal so hard. It only takes a light touch to obtain the results I had with ABS.

Dickie

Webo
10-08-2013, 07:09 PM
You know I have never owned a bike with ABS until the Spyder. The 07 SG did not have ABS and I lived thru it, the 02 Fatboy had no ABS and neither did the 97 Softail Custom. I think I have gotten spoiled with the Spyder on the brakes. Being a reverse trike you can really stand on the Brembo brakes with no fear of the rear coming around. Hell you can even panic brake in corners with little issues if critters jump out. But then again there is no leaning fun on the spyder...lol..

Anyway I went buy the local Honda dealer today to see what the options would be. I knew I was going to lose on the spyder and was willing to take a 4k to 4.5k hit. I figured this is the bike for me and since I live in Dallas we can ride just about year round so might as well go ahead and see if I could make a deal. Well the best they would do put me at a 6k hit on the Spyder and that's just to much to swallow. I'm going to list the Spyder for sale and hopefully I can sell it out right and only take a hit of 1.5k to 2k. I'll pay the difference out of my pocket and right it off as a live and learn experience. I always thought the Spyder was cool and different and REALLY love the safety features it has but it's not the same and at 43 I can still throw my leg over a bike with no problem. I guess worst case I'll be stuck with the spyder through the winter until next riding season when everyone wants to buy a bike...lol... Until then I'll continue to ready up on the F6B and plan out my mods. Thanks again for all the great information!!!

1951vbs
10-08-2013, 07:10 PM
HD didn't make a 2014 Road Glide so I expect something different next year. However if it doesn't have a big displacement V-Rod based engine or uses pretty much the same frame from a 1980 Tour Glide I'm not a player. They wallow around the corners even with the new (2009) trans stabilizer and to me the road feel through the rubber mounted bars is a joke. The F6B is rock solid in the handling department and a water cooled flat six is hard to beat!

Big Dawg
10-08-2013, 07:16 PM
For me the linked brakes are great. Pull front get 66% frt 33% rear not sure where the other 1% goes. Trail brake into a corner (unless you are Big Dawg) 66% rear 33% front. Anyway it works for me.:clap2:

Gee thanks! I have ridden the F6B and I am a big fan of them. I presently have a Goldwing with ABS but it wasn't by choice. I am a firm believer that someone who truly knows how to use the brakes on a motorcycle, honestly doesn't need ABS. Where the ABS may have an advantage is in the wet, but then we all slow down when the roads are wet. The Wing and the F6 have excellent brakes and they work very well in the proven linked arrangement.

For what it's worth, most of the guys that I ride with are on Hondas. We all used to ride Harleys. I like to tell folks that still ride HD's.."sooner or later you will figure it out" I did.

I'm not slamming HD but who builds air cooled, push rod motors any more? Even their new (water cooled head) is a feeble attempt to try to keep the beast from frying your legs in the summer time. They are a great Bar to Bar bike but if I am going on a cross country trip, it's a NO Brainer. I have a good friend who has a Wing and a Street glide. When he is chasing me in the mountains of the wing, we ride really close to the same pace. When I on the Wing and he is on the Street Glide, he fades from view in my mirrors in a few turns. They simply can't run with the Honda.

As for trail braking, when I am pushing hard in the mountains, I do trail brake (front brake only) into the corners with engine braking. Once again I Never use the rear brake in the mountains.

Cool Hand Luke
10-08-2013, 07:23 PM
I feel compelled to give my two cents here. I've been riding since I was 19, now 45. I've had my share of bikes: Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, BMW, and of course Harley. I loved all of them, and they all had some strengths and weaknesses. I definitely concur that all bikes are fun.

When I bought my Road King Classic I thought it was the best cruiser ever. I put over 70,000 trouble free miles on it. Added a ton of stuff, some for looks and some for comfort, like removable batwing fairing, speakers, tour trunk, lowers, etc. Mustang seat with backrest made it very comfortable.

Then I bought a Goldwing. Amazing difference! First day I bought it I rode it over 750 miles, all stock with some extras including a backrest. Road King just stopped being fun as I suddenly started feeling it's shortcomings in performance and comfort.

I have to admit that one of the reasons I bought a Harley was because I just wanted to find out what all those Harley guys see in them. I also thought the resale value of Harley, especially a popular model, would be a no brainer.

I came to conclusion that Harley guys buy them mostly for looks, desire to belong to a certain lifestyle, and probably the ingorance of never trying anything else, like GW or BMW, and therefore not knowing what they're missing. I belonged to HOG Chapter, it was nice having a group to ride with, even though the rides were usually pretty short and ended up at a restaurant of some kind. I was also by far the youngest member there.

I started noticing just how much heat RK puts out on my legs. It was much worse with lowers, too hot during summer. So, I sold the RK and got a VRod Muscle, thinking the liquid cooling engine would be much better. I was right. VRSCF is a bit of a black sheep in a Harley herd, but most everyone liked it and commented positively on it. It can leave other bikes in the dust as it has 125 hp and 86 ft/pounds of torque and weighs less than RG or GW and F6B. Also, much smoother running engine than typical HD. I put a removable fairing and saddlebags on it. Surprisingly I'm comfortable enough on it with stock seat, did several 400-500 mile days on it, but I also use AirHawk cushion on all my bikes.

So, Muscle is a keeper for now. Flashy enough, reliable and strong. Love taking it to Daytona Bikeweek.

I tried a RG and liked it, but simply not in the same league as F6B. I put Baggershield on mine and I can hear the stereo great, I mostly use ipod, crystal clear and strong enough. RG stereo is definitely not any better than F6B's. Also, a lot of buffeting from stock RG windshield, I think it is because it is positioned fairly far from rider. RG does handle very well due to frame mounted fairing, but not as good as F6B. Saddlebags on F6B are much bigger and nicer to use, too. Brakes, engine power, wind protection, comfort, all are better on F6B than RG, that is a fact.

RG has some advantages, depending on your point of view: it's a Harley, and that may be enough for most people anyway. There are dealers everywhere, and it has the most accessories available of any bike. It also has a lifestyle thing, such as many owner groups to ride with, clothing etc.

The biggest disadvantage to RG is air cooled engine. There is a stigma that Harleys are unreliable as miles start to pile up. My RK was the hardest bike to sell I ever had, due to 70,000 miles on it even though I maintained it and it ran just fine. On the other hand, my BMW K1200LT had over 80,000 miles and a gentleman approached me and offered to buy it on the spot, and that's how I sold it.

I love my F6B, I have a black one. I never had as many people ask me about the bike as I do with this one. People love it, all kinds of people, riders, non riders, Harley guys. Last week I rode with a couple of friends, both on Harleys, to a local bar/restaurant. The owner and others, who all ride Harleys, came out of the establishment so I can show them my F6B, and also invited me to ride with their group on Sundays. It's to the point it's becoming a nuisance!

I bought my F6B for $17,500 out the door! Base model. Can't go wrong! I also added 5 year extra insurance. For $500, so if I can ride it for next five years I can than sell it and it will still have two years of insurance on it, unlimited miles! Good for resale. I'm sure it will still fetch a good amount for it, abs or not.

F6B has excellent brakes so not having abs is not a deal breaker for me. My BMW had abs and in 8 years of ownership I don't think I ever used it. But abs did break down and I had to pay good money to fix it.

Cruise would be nice, but I added Throttlemeister and can live with that. Most of my riding is on backroads and cannnot really use cruise a lot anyways, so not a deal breaker.

But I never buy bikes because of resale value. I buy them to enjoy riding them. After a few years of ownership the value does not seem to drop as fast anyways.

So, buy what you like for whatever reason you like it, be it to ride or to fit in a certain lifestyle. But, the fact is that F6B is probably one of the best bikes made today!

I included pictures of my HD VRSCF, HD RK, and F6B at Deals Gap for your viewing enjoyment.

Big Dawg
10-09-2013, 08:53 AM
I feel compelled to give my two cents here. I've been riding since I was 19, now 45. I've had my share of bikes: Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, BMW, and of course Harley. I loved all of them, and they all had some strengths and weaknesses. I definitely concur that all bikes are fun.

When I bought my Road King Classic I thought it was the best cruiser ever. I put over 70,000 trouble free miles on it. Added a ton of stuff, some for looks and some for comfort, like removable batwing fairing, speakers, tour trunk, lowers, etc. Mustang seat with backrest made it very comfortable.

Then I bought a Goldwing. Amazing difference! First day I bought it I rode it over 750 miles, all stock with some extras including a backrest. Road King just stopped being fun as I suddenly started feeling it's shortcomings in performance and comfort.

I have to admit that one of the reasons I bought a Harley was because I just wanted to find out what all those Harley guys see in them. I also thought the resale value of Harley, especially a popular model, would be a no brainer.

I came to conclusion that Harley guys buy them mostly for looks, desire to belong to a certain lifestyle, and probably the ingorance of never trying anything else, like GW or BMW, and therefore not knowing what they're missing. I belonged to HOG Chapter, it was nice having a group to ride with, even though the rides were usually pretty short and ended up at a restaurant of some kind. I was also by far the youngest member there.

I started noticing just how much heat RK puts out on my legs. It was much worse with lowers, too hot during summer. So, I sold the RK and got a VRod Muscle, thinking the liquid cooling engine would be much better. I was right. VRSCF is a bit of a black sheep in a Harley herd, but most everyone liked it and commented positively on it. It can leave other bikes in the dust as it has 125 hp and 86 ft/pounds of torque and weighs less than RG or GW and F6B. Also, much smoother running engine than typical HD. I put a removable fairing and saddlebags on it. Surprisingly I'm comfortable enough on it with stock seat, did several 400-500 mile days on it, but I also use AirHawk cushion on all my bikes.

So, Muscle is a keeper for now. Flashy enough, reliable and strong. Love taking it to Daytona Bikeweek.

I tried a RG and liked it, but simply not in the same league as F6B. I put Baggershield on mine and I can hear the stereo great, I mostly use ipod, crystal clear and strong enough. RG stereo is definitely not any better than F6B's. Also, a lot of buffeting from stock RG windshield, I think it is because it is positioned fairly far from rider. RG does handle very well due to frame mounted fairing, but not as good as F6B. Saddlebags on F6B are much bigger and nicer to use, too. Brakes, engine power, wind protection, comfort, all are better on F6B than RG, that is a fact.

RG has some advantages, depending on your point of view: it's a Harley, and that may be enough for most people anyway. There are dealers everywhere, and it has the most accessories available of any bike. It also has a lifestyle thing, such as many owner groups to ride with, clothing etc.

The biggest disadvantage to RG is air cooled engine. There is a stigma that Harleys are unreliable as miles start to pile up. My RK was the hardest bike to sell I ever had, due to 70,000 miles on it even though I maintained it and it ran just fine. On the other hand, my BMW K1200LT had over 80,000 miles and a gentleman approached me and offered to buy it on the spot, and that's how I sold it.

I love my F6B, I have a black one. I never had as many people ask me about the bike as I do with this one. People love it, all kinds of people, riders, non riders, Harley guys. Last week I rode with a couple of friends, both on Harleys, to a local bar/restaurant. The owner and others, who all ride Harleys, came out of the establishment so I can show them my F6B, and also invited me to ride with their group on Sundays. It's to the point it's becoming a nuisance!

I bought my F6B for $17,500 out the door! Base model. Can't go wrong! I also added 5 year extra insurance. For $500, so if I can ride it for next five years I can than sell it and it will still have two years of insurance on it, unlimited miles! Good for resale. I'm sure it will still fetch a good amount for it, abs or not.

F6B has excellent brakes so not having abs is not a deal breaker for me. My BMW had abs and in 8 years of ownership I don't think I ever used it. But abs did break down and I had to pay good money to fix it.

Cruise would be nice, but I added Throttlemeister and can live with that. Most of my riding is on backroads and cannnot really use cruise a lot anyways, so not a deal breaker.

But I never buy bikes because of resale value. I buy them to enjoy riding them. After a few years of ownership the value does not seem to drop as fast anyways.

So, buy what you like for whatever reason you like it, be it to ride or to fit in a certain lifestyle. But, the fact is that F6B is probably one of the best bikes made today!

I included pictures of my HD VRSCF, HD RK, and F6B at Deals Gap for your viewing enjoyment.
Excellent post! Amen Brother.............

jkelley
10-09-2013, 09:34 AM
I agree with the above but with some points highlighted others have made. Ride what YOU like. I find the F6B for me personally difficult to get used to the ergonomics of mid controls again after many years on Harley. I loved most everything about my CVO Road Glide except for the fact that it was a four or five hour job to clean it up once it got wet with all the chrome. My F6B, about 30 minutes so I tend to ride it more when the weather is crap. The F6B is a totally different machine in all categories. The performance out of the box can not be matched by Harley without many thousands of dollars being spent. The engine and drive train are proven.
The new water heads for Harley are seeing some issues as reported by some of the owners so that alone would have me waiting to see how the new design shakes out. Maintenance wise other than oil changes the rest being infrequent still prove much more difficult on the F6B. Personally I dread the air filter change in the future. The drive shaft verses a belt drive is also a consideration. I like the shaft but never did have an issue with a belt. I did hear about some folks having one break and it was costly to replace. There are much more accessories available for all Harleys and the lack of cruise control on the F6B is a big issue for me as well. I didn't realize how much I would miss it. The paint on the Hondas simply stated SUCKS!!! Harley has won that one hands down. However, having said all the above buying a bike is a personal thing, and you need to get what you like and feel fits your needs and comfort level. Harley AND Honda have proven performers. Hopefully you will find what you like and be happy with it regardless of what anyone else thinks.

Yeahoo Whoyah
10-09-2013, 10:02 PM
The new water heads for Harley are seeing some issues as reported by some of the owners so that alone would have me waiting to see how the new design shakes out.
Wow, I hope that's not widespread. I thought the "twin cooling" would be the cure for what I consider the big H-D problem- heat! I certainly wouldn't buy a 2014 Street Glide, the H-D to get is the Ulta Limited with "twin cooling". But if there's problems....waiting is the best plan. I'm satisfied with my F6B for the foreseeable future.

Scotrod
10-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Rumor has it the HD crowd is slow to embrace changes, but I'm not so sure 'that generation' is such a key part of HD's overall business model anymore.

I also like the water assisted cooling they finally came out with. They did a darn decent job of hiding it all to keep from offending the 'old Guard'.

Good way to get started 'down that path' I suppose, but IMHO, the Twin Cam mill itself leaves a lot to be desired.

Still, glad to see 'em evolving! :yes:

("Steamin Eagle" just kinda has a ring to it though!! LOL!!)

Erock1800
10-11-2013, 05:34 PM
I too have been lurking on this site, Vic site and HD site. I currently own a Suzuki M109R she is a beast. But, I didn't realize my wife would like riding so much with me. My ride has no storage space. So I am looking at the F6B, Vic XC tour and the 2014 HD SG special. I still have to ride all three before I make my choice. I have always liked Hondas. I just wish the honda had the touch screen features such as the HD. I'm a gadget guy and I like the latest technologies. In fact that is the only reason why I am looking at the HD.

My current ride, she had been modded.

Scotrod
10-11-2013, 06:16 PM
By all means, check em all out!

The XCT hands down will have the most storage. SG and F6B are not even close in that regard.

I had thought XCT at one time, only because the lowers, taller shield, extra wind protection, tip over protection, ect that come with a XCT vs an XC were worth it. (Cheaper than dressing an XC how I wanted it.) Didn't need the trunk, and would most likely take it off and never use it. (That kinda seemed like a waste)

I like the improvements of the 14 SG, no doubt about it, but the shaking of a non-balanced engine, and the heat generated from air cooling, to me, is a helluva turn off. (If folks cars shook that bad and were that hot to drive, they'd demand a refund!)

The smooth, seamless F6b is quite a bit different. Almost, dare I say, a bit too smooth/seamless! :shock:

Erock1800
10-11-2013, 08:31 PM
By all means, check em all out!

The XCT hands down will have the most storage. SG and F6B are not even close in that regard.

I had thought XCT at one time, only because the lowers, taller shield, extra wind protection, tip over protection, ect that come with a XCT vs an XC were worth it. (Cheaper than dressing an XC how I wanted it.) Didn't need the trunk, and would most likely take it off and never use it. (That kinda seemed like a waste)

I like the improvements of the 14 SG, no doubt about it, but the shaking of a non-balanced engine, and the heat generated from air cooling, to me, is a helluva turn off. (If folks cars shook that bad and were that hot to drive, they'd demand a refund!)

The smooth, seamless F6b is quite a bit different. Almost, dare I say, a bit too smooth/seamless!

:shock:

I only rode one harley my brother in laws soft tail springer. I was like...WTF do people see in these?! So I like the looks of the SG, batwing, but if it rides like crap I'm out. I like the looks of the Vic the most. But I always love Hondas.

Phantom
10-11-2013, 09:36 PM
But I always love Hondas.

You already have the answer, no need to re-invent the wheel :iduno:

Scotrod
10-11-2013, 09:56 PM
So I like the looks of the SG, batwing, but if it rides like crap I'm out.

Friend has a 2012 SG I rode once. I remember feeling every expansion joint in the road,,, (Not sure if he had the air set 'correct' in the rear shocks or not.)

Kinda thought about a RG Ultra at one time. RG Custom and SG, to the best of my knowledge, have factory lowered suspensions. 2 inchs of rear travel on the SG. I was hoping the extra suspension travel of the RGU would have been 'more plush'riding than it's lowered counterpart, but,,, I never got the chance to find out. :icon_biggrin:

Drjohn80
10-12-2013, 09:37 AM
I have a Harley Electaglide and test drove a new Roadglide before buying my F6B. As far as handling and pure acceleration the f6b is superior. Much more fun to ride on longer trips. The bike feels much lighter than it actually is and is smooth as silk. At a savings of 5 K, No Brainer.

xzvs
10-14-2013, 11:38 AM
I can speak too much on the Harleys or can-ams other than I like the keyless feature thing on the harley (we had a used one on our sales floor and that was neat-- except that i heard that a lot of people started the bike went to get helmet etc forgot fob on the desk/ counter at home and then were stranded at their first stop) and that our new parts guy worked at a can-am dealer and said "man don't ever get one of those -- we'd sell one on friday and could count on the owner and the bike waiting for us on monday am all pissed off cause it broke"

jkelley
10-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Wow, I hope that's not widespread. I thought the "twin cooling" would be the cure for what I consider the big H-D problem- heat! I certainly wouldn't buy a 2014 Street Glide, the H-D to get is the Ulta Limited with "twin cooling". But if there's problems....waiting is the best plan. I'm satisfied with my F6B for the foreseeable future.

Time will tell, there are several complaints on HD forum, but then again most of the time all you hear is the bad ones.

Hopefully they will work it out for all.

jkelley
10-14-2013, 02:16 PM
I can speak too much on the Harleys or can-ams other than I like the keyless feature thing on the harley (we had a used one on our sales floor and that was neat-- except that i heard that a lot of people started the bike went to get helmet etc forgot fob on the desk/ counter at home and then were stranded at their first stop) and that our new parts guy worked at a can-am dealer and said "man don't ever get one of those -- we'd sell one on friday and could count on the owner and the bike waiting for us on monday am all pissed off cause it broke"

Leaving your fob is not the end of the world, you can override the security using the turn signal switches very easily after programming in your personal security code. I liked not having to carry a key to start and or open saddle bags etc.
I know nothing about the Can-am's other than reported horror stories but they sure look good. Would I ride one, don't think so.
All bikes have a purpose and most a loyal following. Ride what ever you like and be happy.

xzvs
10-17-2013, 07:28 PM
JKelley -- downside to this is if you are a tech

jkelley
10-18-2013, 05:40 AM
JKelley -- downside to this is if you are a tech

Good point, I was referring to an owner, and I have seen some that did the same as you mentioned "forgot the fob" in the garage when they left and sadly they did not read the manual and had no idea they should have reset their codes or how to override the system. In that case most dealers use the same code on every bike, and if they were after business hours they were screwed. Personally I like the system, but there are always issues possible with anything designed.