PDA

View Full Version : Left cubby 12v outlet

Hodgey1
04-27-2017, 06:44 PM
I am terrible at searching this forum and getting the results I need. Can someone give me a solid link for installing the 12v outlet in the left cubby?

Spiff215
04-27-2017, 11:47 PM
Same process on F6b

https://youtu.be/COuTOlXT0tU

Steve 0080
04-28-2017, 07:11 AM
You Tube is your friend! I actually find it my go to source of information, from install to recommendations.

tommyb
04-28-2017, 02:02 PM
Same process on F6b

https://youtu.be/COuTOlXT0tU

Thanks for the YouTube link!

tommyb
04-28-2017, 02:21 PM
Not trying to hijack your thread, but does anyone have a 12v port and USB port together? Is there a single install that comes with both ports rather than have to install 2 separate ports? Thanks

Dirtstiff's F6B
04-28-2017, 10:27 PM
Yes,
If you could see the picture I just failed trying to post;
I bought a 12 volt charger setup with dual(2) USB charger ports combined with a cigar lighter socket. Very compact and good quality. I have it mounted in the Harbor Freight trailer I just finished, but cannot post a pic of it either.
O'Reillys for around $20 bucks.

tommyb
04-29-2017, 04:35 AM
Yes,
If you could see the picture I just failed trying to post;
I bought a 12 volt charger setup with dual(2) USB charger ports combined with a cigar lighter socket. Very compact and good quality. I have it mounted in the Harbor Freight trailer I just finished, but cannot post a pic of it either.
O'Reillys for around $20 bucks.

Great, thanks!

Hodgey1
04-29-2017, 09:54 AM
Thanks guys! I'm installing this morning, I'll let you all know how it goes.

Hodgey1
04-29-2017, 02:48 PM
Thanks guys! I'm installing this morning, I'll let you all know how it goes.

That was the single easiest mod I've ever done! On a separate, more frustrating note. I put the 12v receptical in to feed my new garmin. Once I got all finished mounting it, I found out that you cannot use the 12v plug when connected to the motorcycle bracket......... what? That is plain stupid.

Hornblower
04-29-2017, 04:45 PM
That was the single easiest mod I've ever done! On a separate, more frustrating note. I put the 12v receptical in to feed my new garmin. Once I got all finished mounting it, I found out that you cannot use the 12v plug when connected to the motorcycle bracket......... what? That is plain stupid.

Why not just connect power to your Garmin using USB? This depends, of course, on exactly which Garmin you have. Some Garmin units must be powered through their special base, otherwise, the screen will not illuminate fully.

Hodgey1
04-30-2017, 07:44 AM
Why not just connect power to your Garmin using USB? This depends, of course, on exactly which Garmin you have. Some Garmin units must be powered through their special base, otherwise, the screen will not illuminate fully.

The garmin came with two different power supplies, one to hard wire in and one with the cig plug. So I put in the cig receptacle, intending on just plugging it in when I was using it. It wasn't until after I installed the cig outlet, that I realized the 12v plug in was only able to be used with the suction cup, for car use. When using the motorcycle bracket, you must hard wire it in because the bracket covers the 12v cig plug on the back of garmin.

My thought was that it should enable to feed it either way, but it is what it is and now its mounted and works great and I also have a spot now to charge my phone. So all in all it's ended well.