PDA

View Full Version : Whats F6 drone?

Flhfxd
05-03-2017, 08:48 AM
I've never ridden one of these yet, but I hear the odd referral to a "drone"...... is it with stock or aftermarket exhaust set up?

53driver
05-03-2017, 08:55 AM
Are you familiar with bagpipes?
The three pipes coming out of the bag that the piper is not actively playing are called "drones."
At pressure, they emit a tunable frequency and when they're out of tune, it can be epically awful.

Some people hear an irritating noise / "musical" note in several aftermarket exhausts on the F6B and the Wing when the bike is at speed at constant RPM, say cruising at 60mph.
Not all people hear it even with the same exhaust systems.

I'm running stock and I don't have it.
I've a sound freq meter app on my phone (I'm a sound engineer) and I have nothing that stands out.
If I ever run into someone with a "drone", I want to ride bitch and take readings when they hear it to see what which freq it is.

Cheers,
Steve

wjduke
05-03-2017, 09:05 AM
Not to toss something that doesn't belong, but I get a drone with my full face helmet on, but it's NOT the bike, just that helmet. My bike is all stock. I've posted here and might be one of two others that have the same thing going on. Mine is between 50-60. Below, nothing....above, nothing. Sounds like a bumble bee in my head. It's strictly my highway helmet for that reason.

willtill
05-03-2017, 09:20 AM
I think the drone is more of a "hum" or a "woooo" when you're at steady speed. It is amplified (as previously remarked) by a full faced (or even 3/4) helmets. I wear disposable foam earplugs as a result. My tinnitus is pretty bad as is...

My exhaust is stock.

opas ride
05-03-2017, 09:45 AM
Same similar comments about the "drone". With the Cobra pipes on my bike the drone is more noticeable with my face shield down on my Shoei helmet. Hardly noticeable with my open face 3/4 HJC helmet, which I use around town and on shorter rides..On the highway with the Shoei shield down, if the drone starts to bother me I either flip up the shield or change throttle speeds. Going into my 4th season of riding, the so-called "drone" has not become an issue for me.....Ride safe

Hornblower
05-03-2017, 10:26 AM
I've never ridden one of these yet, but I hear the odd referral to a "drone"...... is it with stock or aftermarket exhaust set up?

For clarity, the drone we're discussing is a very resonant and annoying tone or hum. It's usually noticed more at certain speeds and especially when that speed is held constant for longer periods.

I'm not aware of any drone complaints with stock exhaust. That's not to say drone doesn't exist but it's masked by the muffler. When you install an aftermarket exhaust or slip-ons, the masking is greatly reduced and that's when drone complaints begin to surface. Also, wind noise can mask drone. The more wind noise, resulting either from windscreen or helmet design, the less you'll probably notice drone. Finally, a common "cure" for drone is the addition of Torq Loopz. As you may know, Loopz eliminate the catalytic converter and some associated piping. A common theory is that drone is generated in that area so perhaps eliminating that explains why Loopz help reduce or eliminate drone.

gregj
05-04-2017, 08:13 AM
My '15 had the drone with the stock exhaust. Even more noticeable with a FF, but still annoying as hell with an open face helmet. And this is with ear plugs. I went with the Torque Loopz and the TBR mufflers, and couldnt be happier with the result.

willtill
05-04-2017, 09:42 AM
My '15 had the drone with the stock exhaust. Even more noticeable with a FF, but still annoying as hell with an open face helmet. And this is with ear plugs. I went with the Torque Loopz and the TBR mufflers, and couldnt be happier with the result.

What actually dissipated the drone? The Torque Loops or the Two Brothers Racing Exhaust? Or does it take a combo of both?

I would like to get rid of the drone as well... I have always stood firm on not touching the exhaust system on this bike; after redoing so many other bikes exhaust systems that I have had.

But... maybe I'll entertain Torque Loops only if by themselves; they will completely negate the drone. They seem such a pain in the ass to install though. And yes.. I am mechanically inclined to do the work... I'm just tired of wrenching on bikes at this point of my life. I want to ride more; than wrench... :shhh:

terryboyle
05-04-2017, 11:59 AM
I test drove the 2014,2015,2016 F6B. The 2015 and the 2016, both with stock systems and stock windshield, had the drone. Love the sound at idle but could not stand it at highway speeds. I do wear a modular helmet.

I ended up buying a new 2014 in May 2016 to avoid the drone. Really wish I had the cruise that come on the later models.

98valk
05-04-2017, 01:27 PM
I test drove the 2014,2015,2016 F6B. The 2015 and the 2016, both with stock systems and stock windshield, had the drone. Love the sound at idle but could not stand it at highway speeds. I do wear a modular helmet.

Wow, that's interesting to know. I have a '13 and thought maybe I wanted the louder stock pipes. Now, maybe not ....

Good info for us - thanks! :yes:

Alberta Beagle
05-04-2017, 05:29 PM
My 2013 had no drone at all.
My 2016 has a mild drone and a much deeper exhaust note. My son says that Honda got it right with that exhaust as he rides with me on his CBR100RR. He loves the exhaust note on the new F6B.

Frankly I like it too.

As a side note I am wearing the same helmet on the 16 that In was wearing on the 13. The exhaust is not offensive and I have already got used to the mild drone.

Beagle :icon_cool:

opas ride
05-04-2017, 07:21 PM
As I said on some earlier posts about the so-called "drone", after going on 4 years with my F6B and Cobra pipes, I have no issues with the exhaust sounds from these pipes. After all folks, this is a flat 6 Honda motor that will never sound like any V-twin period...The older Valkyrie motors had a great sound with the 6-into-6 Cobra or Two Brothers pipes, but had six carbs and a completely different exhaust system. If you want to spend the time and money to chop up the stock system, and hopefully eliminate the "drone" I understand Torq Loopz help, but I do not wish to "mess with success" so to speak and will spend my money elsewhere.....I personally don't feel this "drone" is any big deal and worth changing things that work fine for me....JMHO and ride safe

samwisekoi
05-06-2017, 02:26 PM
Just got back from the dealer, who installed a Honda 'tall windshield' on my bone stock 2016 Deluxe. I exchanged loud wind noise for a very loud drone on throttle above 2500 rpm. It doesn't sound like exhaust as much as intake noise focused back at the rider. And it completely disappears if I lift.

How different are the F6B intake and exhaust from the Wing's? Are there any reports of a similar drone from any GL1800 except the 15/16 F6B?

My next step is to make a shorty windshield that only adds around 6" to the original. In theory, enough to push the windstream above my helmet, but not enough to focus the drone.