PDA

View Full Version : I desperately need cruise control advice?

RonRider
05-05-2017, 02:44 AM
Greetings out there to my F6B family!

My arthritis is getting to the point where I need some wrist relief. I love my Black 2013 Deluxe. The bike is just how I want it, but the missing cruise control becomes more of an issue every year that goes by. I need some advice. Has anyone had experience with adding cruise? Are any of the throttle controls worth it. I know they can't compare to cruise. I feel like it would be foolish trading up to a newer F6B just for the cc, especially after all the other add-ons I've spent money on. Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thank you all for your help. 'gw-smiley'

taxfree4
05-05-2017, 03:06 AM
Asking this question is like asking about which oil to use but here goes:

I've been using the KAOKO for 3 years now, including 2 X country trips, without a hitch. It assembles at the end of the throttle and uses friction to work. Installation is fairly easy, I have a video on Youtube showing the extraction of the center hub you'll need to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbP95M6MSNY

There are simpler choices and more expensive ones, I've had a couple different ones prior to this but this one worked perfect for me.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kaoko-throttle-lock-honda-cbr-vfr-vtr-f6b?gclid=CJGj-Z-j2NMCFYONswodn2YKgA

Good Luck

shortleg0521
05-05-2017, 04:08 AM

My arthritis is getting to the point where I need some wrist relief. I love my Black 2013 Deluxe. The bike is just how I want it, but the missing cruise control becomes more of an issue every year that goes by. I need some advice. Has anyone had experience with adding cruise? Are any of the throttle controls worth it. I know they can't compare to cruise. I feel like it would be foolish trading up to a newer F6B just for the cc, especially after all the other add-ons I've spent money on. Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thank you all for your help. 'gw-smiley'

If you are talking about a true cruise control then all I tell you about is the one from Australia.
It is truly plug and play and works just as the one in you car.
I have it on mine and love it.

DMAGOLDRDR
05-05-2017, 06:14 AM
I also have wrist issues and would really like "real cruise control" but the cost of $800 and the amount of work is not worth it to me.

I have a "Go Cruise" throttle lock. Although a big help it, as most throttle locks, only lock the throttle at one speed which works well for me to get some relief unless I am on winding back roads that require constant throttle changes.

For about $30 it is a great addition.

http://www.2wheelride.com/GoCruise_throttle%20control2.html

DaWadd
05-05-2017, 07:45 AM
The Kaoko and Brakeaway are both excellent IMO. I'm currently using the Kaoko and after some practice with it I luv it."coffee"

roaddog
05-05-2017, 08:08 AM
I installed a Vista Cruise on my 1984 Goldwing and on my 2014 F6B and it works for me. It's easy to install and costs about $20, but it's just a throttle lock, you can't compare it to real cruise control. If you just need to rest your wrist every once in while you'll love it.

bob109
05-05-2017, 08:56 AM
I also have wrist issues and would really like "real cruise control" but the cost of $800 and the amount of work is not worth it to me.

I have a "Go Cruise" throttle lock. Although a big help it, as most throttle locks, only lock the throttle at one speed which works well for me to get some relief unless I am on winding back roads that require constant throttle changes.

For about $30 it is a great addition.

http://www.2wheelride.com/GoCruise_throttle%20control2.html

+1 The "Go Cruise" is a cheap and effective solution for some "wrist comfort" and way easy on the wallet:icon_wink:

F6B1911
05-05-2017, 11:02 AM
Asking this question is like asking about which oil to use but here goes:

I've been using the KAOKO for 3 years now, including 2 X country trips, without a hitch. It assembles at the end of the throttle and uses friction to work. Installation is fairly easy, I have a video ........

+1 on the Kaoko, simple clean design that has worked for me without issue.

Elroy
05-05-2017, 01:52 PM
+1 on the Kaoko, simple clean design that has worked for me without issue.

Does the Kaoko work with the fat Kury ISO grips?

Ixol Phaane
05-05-2017, 03:08 PM
If you are talking about a true cruise control then all I tell you about is the one from Australia.
It is truly plug and play and works just as the one in you car.
I have it on mine and love it.

+1
I love mine, too.

fast eddie
05-05-2017, 06:45 PM
I second or third the motion Kaoko is the way to go.

HBWinger
05-05-2017, 09:30 PM
Try adding one of these to aid in the cramping:

http://wingstuff.com/products/20524-crampbuster-cruise-assist-narrow

Also paddle grips are available. 'riding'

F6B1911
05-05-2017, 09:40 PM
Does the Kaoko work with the fat Kury ISO grips?

My F6B doesn't have the fat Kury ISO grips, so I can't answer that question, but it does work with the OEM heated grips and the Shinhopple's grip puppies.

glryder98
05-05-2017, 09:52 PM
I've installed the Rostra cruise control for about half the price of the Austrailian one. A little more detailed to install but it works flawlessly. I also bought the right hand control from a wrecked gold wing and my cruise looks factory. Message me for more info or search "Rostra Cruise control"

pdxstriper
05-06-2017, 06:04 AM
Hi,
Installed the BrakeAway and love it. It is the Cadillac of all the throttle locks. It allows you to adjust at will like all the others but adds the critical ability to quick release when you apply the brake. I've seen a friend in a emergency braking situation lose a 1/2 second to loosen his bar-end throttle lock and almost lost my friend as a result.

Note that I use the BrakeAway on an F6B Deluxe even though it is not recommended. I ground down part of the brake release bracket where the heated grip cable could possibly snag. In 5K miles I have not had any issues.
Pete

bob109
05-06-2017, 07:24 AM
Just for some "clarification" on the operation of the "Go Cruise"! The device is a "friction activated throttle lock" requiring initial adjustment with a "thumb wheel". The GC rides on a special rubber band placed on the OEM throttle grip. When in use the CG "releases" by simply "rolling off" the throttle. No button/lever too release and the brake lever need not be engaged, although that action will also release the "lock"! Another tip for GC users is to throughly clean the "rubber band" with "Rubbing Alcohol"! Same goes for the "claws"! Many folks experience/encounter slippage of the GC during use! Properly cleaning all "contacting points" is key to successful use/operation:icon_wink:

rudymsmith
05-06-2017, 08:32 AM
I have cruise on my 2015 and a throttle rocker - I find I use the inexpensive throttle rocker more than my cruise

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121357066302?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

give it a try - when set right your wrist/hand will love you for it.

luckyluciano
05-06-2017, 01:06 PM
+1 not worth risking your life for a bucks....jmo:)

MikeL
05-06-2017, 04:11 PM

I installed BreakAway on my Honda VTX 1300 and it worked excellent from 2008 until I sold the bike in 2014. Not certain if they sell a model for F6B but worth the time to research cost. It made of aluminum nd variable friction bands for adjustments.

loosegravel
05-21-2017, 02:06 AM
I haven't posted for quite some time. But I have managed to install a true cruise control system on my 2013 F6B. It's called "Rostra". It's about $180 for the 250-1223 kit. I bought mine from Amazon. Check them out. The unit is small enough to fit into the right side fairing compartment. I routed the cable around the front of the forks, but under the fairing where it can't be seen. Then it's a strait shot back into the left side of the throttle body. I bought a used cable from eBay and used the cable end on the Rostra cable. I purchased a new stock GL1800 clam shell and switch assembly for the right side handle bar instead of having some awful looking add-on switches. I relabeled the reverse on/off button on the GL1800 clam shell and put a red triangle on it to be used it for the 4-ways, as the stock F6B 4-way switch is in the same location. I also purchased a used GL1800 throttle body assembly from eBay because of the added cruise cable location on the throttle shaft and the mount for the cable end. Not very expensive. I replaced the throttle shaft in my F6B throttle body with the one from the GL1800. It was necessary to install a resistor in-line for the VSS signal wire (vehicle speed sensor wire) due to the revs per mile. Aside from the above, it was a pretty simple installation. There's room in the relay center under the seat to install an additional power relay. I wired the cruise power to the normally closed contacts of the relay. Then I connected the brake light signal to the coil, so when either the front or rear brakes are applied it also activates the coil in the relay thus interrupting the cruise power and kills it. I also purchased a couple of very small LED's, a green one for the "cruise on" and an amber one for the "cruise set" and mounted them to the panel just below the key switch. The system works pretty damn good, I must admit. I took some pictures along the way. I'll have to post them here when I get a chance. When looking at the controls it looks stock, which is what I also wanted. Having the cruise control makes riding this bike so much nicer. I also put on a "Clokwerks" windshield and some Kuryakyn highway pegs.

olegoat345
05-21-2017, 11:03 AM
My G/F (has many yeas & well over 150k miles on a bike) had a Kaoka on her '15 Scout, it was the first one they made for Scout. After dozens of photos & emails, "do this = try that" she never could get it to hold. The one's for the GW's may be better.
She brought a Break Away & is happy with it. I had one on my FJR, it worked great. A bit touchy to get set up but once dialed in, they work great.
Now I use the "small arm" deal that fits over the throttle & locks against the break lever. It does the job & works good.

stevenolts
05-21-2017, 02:36 PM
I have the Auzi cruise and I love it. It works just like the car. If you do install it when you change the oil filter you are almost there already. I did mine as a practice air filter change when I first bought the bike. It was a lot of work but if you put all the bolts in a bags and tape the bag to each part etc.... it is not anything you can't do yourself. There are really good instructions!!!

It holds the speed just as tight if not tighter than my Honda Accord and Acura TL.
Steve

perohijo
05-21-2017, 03:21 PM
[I guess I was lucky with my bike. I bough it new about 2 weeks ago (2015 F6B standard) but it came with the cruise control. I own a VTX 1800F 2005 and that one has the throttle lock but it really is not that good for the price. ]