PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Damage What Recourse?

RiderRob
05-05-2017, 11:21 PM
I'm wondering if someone has had a similar situation, and what they did about it.

I purchased my new 2015 three months ago from a dealership about 350 miles from where I live. The B was a standard bike not a deluxe. I bought and had the dealership install the stock passenger backrest.

Tonight I was removing the seat and back top lid to install a new remote saddlebag opener and a new Mustang seat.

When I removed the seat I noticed that when I loosened one of the screws for the passenger handle, the handle was completely loose, almost as if I had loosened the other screw. Come to find out, when the dealer removed the seat to install the hardware to mount the backrest they screwed up the threads on one of the screws.

After I get the seat off I need to remove the back lid to get to the latches for the saddlebags. I noticed the back lid was awful loose. When I looked at it more closely, the idiots had broken one of the hooks on the end of the lid that wraps around the frame.

I'm so pissed. This is a brand new bike. Anybody have any suggestions on what I should besides calling up the dealership and cussing them out from here to the 350 miles had to go to get the bike?

Thx
Rob. :banghead:

taxfree4
05-06-2017, 04:39 AM
Start with the dealership, always give them a chance to correct it. Contact them by email, paper trail, see what happens. I think you'll be successful here as they're not Harley, plus, they'll want to correct this. Include a jpeg file of the damage in your email as so they can show the red-faced installer, more importantly it'll illustrate you're a "documenter" and not just a "phone caller" which has no protections.

If you get nowhere write to Mother Honda with a copy of the email and pics you sent. (I doubt it'll ever get to here)

If you get nowhere bring in the artillery, the gubment: https://www.ftc.gov/about-ftc/bureaus-offices/bureau-consumer-protection

Jimmytee
05-06-2017, 06:07 AM
I'm wondering if someone has had a similar situation, and what they did about it.

I purchased my new 2015 three months ago from a dealership about 350 miles from where I live. The B was a standard bike not a deluxe. I bought and had the dealership install the stock passenger backrest.

Tonight I was removing the seat and back top lid to install a new remote saddlebag opener and a new Mustang seat.

When I removed the seat I noticed that when I loosened one of the screws for the passenger handle, the handle was completely loose, almost as if I had loosened the other screw. Come to find out, when the dealer removed the seat to install the hardware to mount the backrest they screwed up the threads on one of the screws.

After I get the seat off I need to remove the back lid to get to the latches for the saddlebags. I noticed the back lid was awful loose. When I looked at it more closely, the idiots had broken one of the hooks on the end of the lid that wraps around the frame.

I'm so pissed. This is a brand new bike. Anybody have any suggestions on what I should besides calling up the dealership and cussing them out from here to the 350 miles had to go to get the bike?

Thx

Hopefully your dealer will accept responsibility. Already, they have at least one person there that is less than totally honest in my opinion. Otherwise those things would have been corrected. I have broken one of those little prongs on mine early in my ownership, when I had forgotten about it while removing the rear cover. The bolt hole for the seat rail hopefully should be an easy fix by running the correct sized tap through. However, you're right, these shouldn't be your problems.

willtill
05-06-2017, 06:38 AM
Don't get me started on the incompetence of the "motorcycle technicians" at many motorcycle dealerships :banghead:

Bringing you bike into the dealer for work; is the same as visiting a "doctor" in a rented storage space for a liposuction procedure. It's going to go badly. :shock:

That's why I do all maintenance and repairs myself. :icon_wink:

cueman
05-06-2017, 08:48 AM
One of the reasons I didn't buy the extended warranty was I didn't want the dealership working on my bike. I hope your dealership steps up to the plate and properly repairs it. And rips the tech that caused this issue a new one. :shock: cueman

opas ride
05-06-2017, 10:00 AM
Don't get me started on the incompetence of the "motorcycle technicians" at many motorcycle dealerships :banghead:

Bringing you bike into the dealer for work; is the same as visiting a "doctor" in a rented storage space for a liposuction procedure. It's going to go badly. :shock:

That's why I do all maintenance and repairs myself. :icon_wink:

+1 and I wish I could do more myself...lucky for me my dealer, although 125 miles away, so far has been very competent with my service and repair issues....(I hate motorcycle service departments with a passion)!!!...Wish it were not so...

naga viper
05-06-2017, 01:25 PM
I was in the automotive dealership for some years working.
So some technicians are hacks while others take much pride in their work!
Somethings that also may have contributed to your problem.
Cost driven shops want production (fast... get it done and move onto the next one)
Parts counter may have been out of stock on broken piece, but that doesn't seem like that was it because they would've told you.
Another thing that I learned from recall service that I had done is only goldwing technicians work on f6s.
So it sounds like a poor work ethic on their part, either look for new dealer to go to or take things in your own hands and fix yourself. Best of luck.

RiderRob
05-07-2017, 10:14 PM
Just an update,

So I stay in contact with the sales guy who sold me the bike. He now works at one of the largest HD shops on the west coast. I txt him and told him a brief explanation of what happened. He immediately called me back and said he was going to call his old boss at the Honda Shop, who is also part owner.

Within an hour I had a call from the shop. I sent them pics of the broken parts. Will see what happens next Tuesday.

Just to clarify, I didn't take the bike in to have work done on it. I usually do all my own work also. I'm like just about everyone else. I don't trust the stealer. I just had them install the backrest on my new bike before I flew 350 miles to pick it up. Looks like they can't even do that correctly.

The owner of the Honda Shop said they were getting rid of the guy who worked on my bike before I picked it up for sure now.
I don't like to see people loose jobs, but if I were the guys boss, he'd be history.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll see Tuesday of their going to fix me up. It sounded positive, so I have hope the shop will do the right thing.

taxfree4
05-08-2017, 01:32 AM
Just an update,

So I stay in contact with the sales guy who sold me the bike. He now works at one of the largest HD shops on the west coast. I txt him and told him a brief explanation of what happened. He immediately called me back and said he was going to call his old boss at the Honda Shop, who is also part owner.

Within an hour I had a call from the shop. I sent them pics of the broken parts. Will see what happens next Tuesday.

Just to clarify, I didn't take the bike in to have work done on it. I usually do all my own work also. I'm like just about everyone else. I don't trust the stealer. I just had them install the backrest on my new bike before I flew 350 miles to pick it up. Looks like they can't even do that correctly.

The owner of the Honda Shop said they were getting rid of the guy who worked on my bike before I picked it up for sure now.
I don't like to see people loose jobs, but if I were the guys boss, he'd be history.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll see Tuesday of their going to fix me up. It sounded positive, so I have hope the shop will do the right thing.

Sounds like they want to make it right, we'll see, that guy made himself lose his job by doing shitty work and, more importantly, hiding it from his superiors. Anyone can have a bad day but to hide it. Good Luck

willtill
05-08-2017, 04:42 AM
One of the reasons I didn't buy the extended warranty was I didn't want the dealership working on my bike. I hope your dealership steps up to the plate and properly repairs it. And rips the tech that caused this issue a new one. :shock: cueman

I'm still debating if I should apply for the refund on my extended warranty, before the original runs out. I only bought it in case something catastrophic would happen to the bike... something beyond my mechanical abilities to address.... or a very expensive part going tits up.

taxfree4
05-08-2017, 05:43 AM
I'm still debating if I should apply for the refund on my extended warranty, before the original runs out. I only bought it in case something catastrophic would happen to the bike... something beyond my mechanical abilities to address.... or a very expensive part going tits up.

That's why I bought my extended warranty will, just in case...so you never have to use it. It is a little bit of peace of mind though.

unsub
05-08-2017, 12:46 PM

Thx

Hi Rob, welcome. Those seat bolts are very easy to cross thread and the rubber bushings can fall out and you might not even notice until reassembly. Going forward just keep that in mind if you are taking the seat off again for any reason.

Happy trails

RiderRob
05-08-2017, 03:35 PM
Hi Rob, welcome. Those seat bolts are very easy to cross thread and the rubber bushings can fall out and you might not even notice until reassembly. Going forward just keep that in mind if you are taking the seat off again for any reason.

Happy trails

Ironically, I had no issues putting my new Mustang seat on. I went ahead and took the recommendation of a fellow member. I had to retapp the hole the dealer screw up, but I went ahead and retapped all the other ones for the seat and used the pointed screws. Bada Bing, went on like butter.

thunder217
05-09-2017, 12:46 AM
I had a similar situation. Took mine in to have a new front tire installed and when I got the bike bake it wobbled like something had happened to the front end. So I did my investigation and noticed that the rear fender was loose and causing the bike to wobble. Under further inspection, someone at the dealership had attempted to remove the front wheel without removing the rear fender and broke all of the nuts for the screws from the rear fender and then glued the nuts into place where there were supposed to be and remounted the rear fender like nothing was wrong. when I took it off and saw the glued parts I almost went ballistic and they gave me a new rear fender and yes I put it on myself and promised to never let my machine in the back without me. LOL I guess the best bet and buy the manual and start reading. The dealerships are something. :yikes:

taxfree4
05-09-2017, 03:16 AM
I had a similar situation. Took mine in to have a new front tire installed and when I got the bike bake it wobbled like something had happened to the front end. So I did my investigation and noticed that the rear fender was loose and causing the bike to wobble. Under further inspection, someone at the dealership had attempted to remove the front wheel without removing the rear fender and broke all of the nuts for the screws from the rear fender and then glued the nuts into place where there were supposed to be and remounted the rear fender like nothing was wrong. when I took it off and saw the glued parts I almost went ballistic and they gave me a new rear fender and yes I put it on myself and promised to never let my machine in the back without me. LOL I guess the best bet and buy the manual and start reading. The dealerships are something. :yikes:

This is starting to sound like Harley.

6gun
05-12-2017, 03:11 PM
I had my brake recall work performed in January. Rode 150 miles to dealer because I know I don't trust the local dealers. All the employees at this dealer treat customers like gold. Had a great experience as expected. When I got the bike back everything looked great. It performed great. No leaks. A month later I decided to take the front caliper covers off to check brake pad wear. When I pulled the two front bolts off the left side, the cover fell to the floor. The dealer had broken both tabs off the rear fender section. The service writer said he checked with the mechanic. They are sure it did not leave the shop that way. But.......to help me get back on the road......he sent me a new fender half, over night, free shipping. I paid his cost on the part. Which was cheaper than I could find online.

I think they were looking for a way to not admit guilt while keeping me pacified so I would not escalate the claim. I think they assemble these plastic parts with air tools or cordless tools with no over torque protection.

RiderRob
05-27-2017, 10:16 AM
I thought I would update my saga with Huntington Beach Honda.

So after about a month of emails, phone calls, and aggravation. I was finally able to talk with the store's General Manager yesterday.

He basically said that he would set up the bike to have the new Top Back Lid that was sent to me scratched, installed at my closest dealership (yah right, I'm supposed to trust service) and the fact I had to fix the cross threaded seat mounts myself, and stood around his showroom for 3 hours waiting for his service department to get my new bike ready even though I had given them 2 weeks notice I was coming to pick it up from 350 miles away. I could basically go F myself. He didn't really say that, but he might as well have.

I mean the guy after going through a month of crap with his sales and service departments couldn't even offer me a free oil change or something for all my trouble.

I'm just without words. I've been a Service Manager for years, and if I had a customer that was really upset with my technicians for something, I would at least throw the customer a bone for all their trouble.

Needless to say, I have filed a complaint with Mother Honda. I'm most likely not going to get anywhere with them. But at least it will be in the files about what they did by selling a brand new bike with hidden known broken parts. :banghead: