PDA

View Full Version : Northeast weather

wjduke
05-07-2017, 07:27 AM
We're not going to see 60 degrees for about the next 10 days. Totally screwed Spring this year. Chill factor today is 50 with nearly 20mph winds.

willtill
05-07-2017, 07:44 AM
We're not going to see 60 degrees for about the next 10 days. Totally screwed Spring this year. Chill factor today is 50 with nearly 20mph winds.

50 degree's is great riding weather Duke :yes: Just gear up for it.

Bob Penn
05-07-2017, 07:59 AM

I love the chill factor. It gives me reason to take extra time to relax in bed :asleep:enjoy a second cup of coffee and

:moon:'notworking; :icon_lol::icon_lol:

bob109
05-07-2017, 08:44 AM
June, July and Winter:shock:

Returned home from Florida May 1st, only to be greeted by cold, damp, foggy and overcast weather:icon_frown: Had a "Frost Warning" mid week to cap things off:icon_lol: This is definitely not cycle riding weather! Glad I left my bike in Florida where I hope to return shortly. Playing with the house thermostat the last several days, trying to keep warm, reminded me that I'd much rather be turning the same down to keep cool:icon_biggrin: Should you good folks have a ride ending at the Newfoundland Hotel, I'll just meet you there for a good sandwich:039:

Warm Regards and Safe Riding

bob109

P.S. Not a single day above 65 degrees and lack of sun within the "Seven Day Forecast":yikes:

shortleg0521
05-07-2017, 12:17 PM

Returned home from Florida May 1st, only to be greeted by cold, damp, foggy and overcast weather:icon_frown: Had a "Frost Warning" mid week to cap things off:icon_lol: This is definitely not cycle riding weather! Glad I left my bike in Florida where I hope to return shortly. Playing with the house thermostat the last several days, trying to keep warm, reminded me that I'd much rather be turning the same down to keep cool:icon_biggrin: Should you good folks have a ride ending at the Newfoundland Hotel, I'll just meet you there for a good sandwich:039:

bob109

P.S. Not a single day above 65 degrees and lack of sun within the "Seven Day Forecast":yikes:

I have to laugh, my wife and I just got back from some time in Iceland
We came home to almost the same weather minus maybe the snow[I hope].
I was amazed on the way to the Airport in Iceland we had sun, light rain, heavy rain, rain and sleet, sleet, heavy and I mean heavy snow, then sun and 60 deg by the time we got there.
Not your usual global warming.

wjduke
05-07-2017, 02:52 PM
I understand about the temps...when the wind is around 16, gusting higher, and you have multiple bridges to go over, that changes the ballgame. That brings the one thing about this bike, you get blown around all over the place, and not the good kind. Just don't enjoy that kind of ride.

willtill
05-07-2017, 03:10 PM
I understand about the temps...when the wind is around 16, gusting higher, and you have multiple bridges to go over, that changes the ballgame. That brings the one thing about this bike, you get blown around all over the place, and not the good kind. Just don't enjoy that kind of ride.

My opinion; the F6B can hold its direction in gusty wind a lot better, compared to some other bikes I have had.

Heavy bikes, like my past Triumph 3 and Victory Vision tracked pretty good in the wind as well.

Now my DL650 and my present DR650... get blown around like a potatoe chip :shock:

A fork brace does wonders for helping to mitigate that sudden reaction to wind/trailer blast as well, I found the magic in them when I put one on my DL650....

shortleg0521
05-07-2017, 10:05 PM
My opinion; the F6B can hold its direction in gusty wind a lot better, compared to some other bikes I have had.

Heavy bikes, like my past Triumph 3 and Victory Vision tracked pretty good in the wind as well.

Now my DL650 and my present DR650... get blown around like a potatoe chip :shock:

A fork brace does wonders for helping to mitigate that sudden reaction to wind/trailer blast as well, I found the magic in them when I put one on my DL650....

I love big words like[ mitigate ] It makes me feel even better when I know
what it means.

willtill
05-08-2017, 05:13 AM
:icon_lol:

Yeah. I have a limited plethora of important sounding words. Sometimes I don't know what they mean :icon_mrgreen:

Old Army saying "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with B.S." :shhh:

53driver
05-08-2017, 08:24 AM
I love big words like[ mitigate ] It makes me feel even better when I know
what it means.

Yeah. I have a limited plethora of important sounding words. Sometimes I don't know what they mean :icon_mrgreen:

Old Army saying "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with B.S." :shhh:

I would go to this site, pickup a few phrases, and then toss them out on senior DLA employees and see what would stick....it was really funny.
http://www.atrixnet.com/bs-generator.html

Cheers,
Steve

GaTeach
05-08-2017, 08:37 AM
I would go to this site, pickup a few phrases, and then toss them out on senior DLA employees and see what would stick....it was really funny.
http://www.atrixnet.com/bs-generator.html

Cheers,
Steve

My office mates and I used the Educational Jargon generator to write reports for the State DOE.

http://www.sciencegeek.net/lingo.html

bob109
05-08-2017, 08:37 AM

I recall working on a project and needing a "Hexogonalinvertedstelonoidcamsnapper" to get the task done! Luckily for me, Harbor Freight had them in stock:icon_wink:

Bob Penn
05-08-2017, 09:06 AM

bob109

Funny thing about That

First let me say welcome home, Bob!

Then let me ask if there's any super natural reason or why the correlation between your arrival and our current weather conditions. It just seems odd that the weather turned so nasty for riding upon your arrival. Maybe it's because you forgot your bike!!:shock:
I personally put close to 2000 miles on my "B" since March. We had a fairly nice April. Even got our first meet, greet and ride from Metamoris to the bakery and up to the hotel in. Now I've put 200 hours in riding the sheets since May 1.
I must say thank you. I'm well rested now!
So I have to ask exactly when are you leaving for FL. I'd like to plan a few more warm dry rides before Americade.
Looking forward to riding with you in the safe months of July and August.

GaTeach
05-08-2017, 09:27 AM
Funny thing about That

Then let me ask if there's any super natural reason or why the correlation between your arrival and our current weather conditions. It just seems odd that the weather turned so nasty for riding upon your arrival. Maybe it's because you forgot your bike!!:shock:
I personally put close to 2000 miles on my "B" since March. We had a fairly nice April. Even got our first meet, greet and ride from Metamoris to the bakery and up to the hotel in. Now I've put 200 hours in riding the sheets since May 1.
So I have to ask exactly when are you leaving for FL. I'd like to plan a few more warm dry rides before Americade.

Hey BobPenn! I was thinking about you yesterday when I had to use the emergency lane----I mean the shoulder---to get around stopped traffic on the big road. How you been?

Bob Penn
05-08-2017, 10:22 AM
Hey BobPenn! I was thinking about you yesterday when I had to use the emergency lane----I mean the shoulder---to get around stopped traffic on the big road. How you been?

How much an hour do you charge to listen? You know I'm on a pensioner's budget.:icon_lol:

I'm glad to hear you learned something riding with me. It's dangerous to sit in traffic behind those self appointed road blocks.

When are you coming back up this way? The deer, squirrels, raccoons, possums, chipmunks, turkeys, rabbits, and bears miss you.

bob109
05-08-2017, 12:19 PM
Funny thing about That

Soon as I get my house on the market I plan on heading south! Lots of "logistics" involved with my move, one of the reasons I left my enclosed trailer and bike in Florida! It broke my heart to do so, but if I yanked it north with me I wouldn't get things done:shhh:

GaTeach
05-08-2017, 01:25 PM

78 and sunny here in the Dirty South :)

Bob Penn
05-09-2017, 05:57 AM
78 and sunny here in the Dirty South :)
You just said that to make us yankees jealous. Enjoy it while you can!
We're sending 109 back down there. Let your rainy season begin!! :icon_lol:

Bob Penn
05-16-2017, 07:10 AM
All is right with the world Bob 109 must be in FL.

Today is the start of a forecasted string of perfect riding days. The high today will be in the mid 70's tomorrow in the low 80's and by Thursday a scary high in the upper 80's. Then by the weekend back to the mid 70's.

Excuse me I gotta go. At least 5 carefree riding days a coming and at least 2000 miles planned.

Retirement is hell! Nobody knows, how I suffer, when I think about how I suffer!

wjduke
05-16-2017, 08:30 AM
I'm booked by family activities through the weekend...figures

Bob Penn
05-18-2017, 07:47 AM
Damn it was hot yesterday 90 !!!!! It's supposed to be even hotter today!! If I didn't know better I'd think I died and went to Florida :icon_lol:

Thank God it's supposed to drop back down to the middle 70's for the weekend!! Perfect riding conditions:039:

Hey Wayne, how about next weekend memorial day weekend? You got plans? If 109 doesn't come up :rainyday:maybe we could put a ride together.

wjduke
05-18-2017, 08:10 AM
I'm off that whole weekend....weather says Saturday looks good, but rain Sunday, Monday....lets wait a bit. I'll keep it open

Bob Penn
05-20-2017, 10:34 AM
Damn it was chilly this morning 48 degrees on top of the Mountain. What a change from a week of 90's
A front is moving through causing light showers.
Hopefully clearing by this afternoon for riding in the mid 60's. Nice.

wjduke
05-20-2017, 10:56 AM
Sprained ankle and a college graduation...I'm out

wjduke
05-22-2017, 04:44 AM
Saturday is in view and still looks decent. That one look good for a ride? Sunday cools down a bit and Monday shows rain drops. My ankle isn't great, but this is a week out. I'm good if it all holds up. I'll ask Maz too.

wjduke
05-22-2017, 12:57 PM
Maz is in pretty much for sure for Saturday. Hope to confirm it all by mid week.

Bob Penn
05-22-2017, 02:14 PM
Maz is in pretty much for sure for Saturday. Hope to confirm it all by mid week.

First the bad news. Our local weatherman is telling me 109 mite be up here this coming weekend. :icon_lol: But it's still early.

Now for some details. Where would you like to go?

The possibilities are: Gettysburg .............................. 3 and a half hours one way from our usual meeting spot.
The End of the World state park................. 2 and a half hours
PA Grand Canyon..................................... 3 and a half hours
PA Beltzville State park............................. 1 and a half hours
Our usual run, the waterfall, bakery, dam, .. 1 and a half hours
Or just a ride into the back hills................... ???
New Jersey Shore and boardwalks ............. 2 and a half hours

Maybe some of the other guys like Don may chime in with some good ideas here or if we post a possible ride destination under a new thread other may join in.

wjduke
05-22-2017, 02:35 PM
First the bad news. Our local weatherman is telling me 109 mite be up here this coming weekend. :icon_lol: But it's still early.

Now for some details. Where would you like to go?

The possibilities are: Gettysburg .............................. 3 and a half hours one way from our usual meeting spot.
The End of the World state park................. 2 and a half hours
PA Grand Canyon..................................... 3 and a half hours
PA Beltzville State park............................. 1 and a half hours
Our usual run, the waterfall, bakery, dam, .. 1 and a half hours
Or just a ride into the back hills................... ???
New Jersey Shore and boardwalks ............. 2 and a half hours

Maybe some of the other guys like Don may chime in with some good ideas here or if we post a possible ride destination under a new thread other may join in.
I think Gettysburg is too far out for us. I've never been to the Jersey Shore, but that's a long day too....I'll follow along and see what others say. Remember, I have 4 hours each way before we go anywhere.

Bob Penn
05-22-2017, 02:58 PM
I think Gettysburg is too far out for us. I've never been to the Jersey Shore, but that's a long day too....I'll follow along and see what others say. Remember, I have 4 hours each way before we go anywhere.

I know and I don't envy you that ride. I can only offer you both a place to roll out your sleeping bags at the hunting camp the night before or after. If that helps. Of course there is plenty of room for Maz's husband to join us if he can.
And that would give us all an early start.

wjduke
05-22-2017, 05:23 PM
I know and I don't envy you that ride. I can only offer you both a place to roll out your sleeping bags at the hunting camp the night before or after. If that helps. Of course there is plenty of room for Maz's husband to join us if he can.
And that would give us all an early start.

We were going to ask if Hotel Penn was open. Definitely an option to stay over Friday night or Saturday. Getting home Sunday looks best. Monday is a question.

Delta
05-22-2017, 06:33 PM

Sounds like you guys are putting together a decent ride. I won't be able to make it as I am heading out Thursday morning for D.C. to visit the Wall. I like to take 2 days to make the trip down as it affords me the opportunity to explore the less traveled roads in PA and MD. This year will be a bit more expensive for me as I needed a set of tires. With the projected rain I didn't want to take the chance as I am close to the wear bars on the rear at 9,000 miles. Going with Dunlop Elite 4s. Hope I have time to scuff them in Wednesday before riding into the expected rain the closer I get to PA. Be safe and have fun. If things change, I could be in the area.

You guys should really consider a sleep over. Gettysburg is not to be missed.