PDA

View Full Version : Going to Laconia Bike Week from Florida???

WEGI
05-13-2017, 11:52 PM
Hi Folks

I'm planning to ride to Laconia,NH for bike week. Expect to leave the week before and take a few days to ride up. Leaving from Port St Lucie but can met up of course. Any takers for going along?

WEG

Bob Penn
05-14-2017, 09:11 AM
I'll be going, but when, will all depend on the weather.
That time of year up here it can be a real tricky problem so it's a bit too early to set a definite plan.
Americade is still 3 weeks away and it's cold and rainy right now. Laconia is the week after. I can't even get my riding buddies to commit to Americade yet.
But stay in touch.

WEGI
05-14-2017, 11:16 AM
Hi. Bob;

I am meeting two friends from Pittsburgh up there if I find folks from here who want to ride up together, otherwise I probably will ride up to Pittsburgh stay a day or two and the three of us will ride to Laconia. Our plan this year is to ride Northern NH and VT maybe a day seeing the displays in Laconia.

WEG

wjduke
05-14-2017, 11:41 AM
I'm looking for a day trip around Americade, plus more. If I know in advance, I could grab a day off work and ride up NH, VT for a day. I'll keep an eye open.

lloydmoore1
05-14-2017, 11:51 AM
I will be there 16,17,18 staying at https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Maple+Leaf+Motel/@44.0400588,-71.1261855,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x4cb3a1008d62615b:0x6141a8efa4cdd 4b2!8m2!3d44.0400511!4d-71.1239968?hl=en

We usually show up Saturday for a bit but mostly ride the area. Anyone in the area can drop by for a brew. As of now there are 7 in our group 3 Harley's, Yamaha Stratoliner,Triumph,Honda 1300,and moi'gw-smiley'

Russell
05-15-2017, 12:11 PM
I live in the Laconia area. Anyone want to hook up for a ride or stop by for a brew drop me a line.

wjduke
05-15-2017, 12:58 PM
If there's a planned ride for that Saturday, I should be able to make it. I hate walking around, I want to ride. I don't mind a lunch break, but if it's a gab session and blowing a day in the crowds, I'll pass. Sorry, I just want the miles....too many rain days up this way!

GaTeach
05-15-2017, 07:35 PM
If there's a planned ride for that Saturday, I should be able to make it. I hate walking around, I want to ride. I don't mind a lunch break, but if it's a gab session and blowing a day in the crowds, I'll pass. Sorry, I just want the miles....too many rain days up this way!

Oh wow! I hope you can meet Lloyd! He rides ok for a Canadian. :)

BE sure and get up Mt Washington while you're there. Lots of fun there.

53driver
05-15-2017, 07:55 PM

And? Lots of miles going up that thing too!!!!
Not that I've been there, but I heard about it!

wjduke
05-16-2017, 04:47 AM

Hmmmm....you told me you'd never do it again. Not the support I was looking for!

GaTeach
05-16-2017, 06:49 AM
Hmmmm....you told me you'd never do it again. Not the support I was looking for!

Lol Yeah I won't. That was a horrible experience.

GaTeach
05-16-2017, 06:50 AM

Lloyd said Mt Washington was "wicked." Does wicked mean good or bad?

lloydmoore1
05-16-2017, 07:49 AM
Yes Mt Washington was wicked and I do mean "wicked Good". We did it last year and one guy stopped on the way up and was having a moment! I known this guy for 15yrs and never knew he was that scared of heights. He said he was good until he stood on his pegs to look off the side :yikes: but he made it after some encouraging words. It can get busy especially with the tour vans going up and down but worth the slow ride to the top.
Last year it was closed on Saturday for a bunch of crazy people who were running up it.:yikes: We went back on Sunday on our way home.
Teach if you think I had some funny expressions you would die to meet this crew that is riding down with me. I actually have to sometimes double take and think '' what is he trying to say???''

GaTeach
05-16-2017, 04:35 PM
Yes Mt Washington was wicked and I do mean "wicked Good". We did it last year and one guy stopped on the way up and was having a moment! I known this guy for 15yrs and never knew he was that scared of heights. He said he was good until he stood on his pegs to look off the side :yikes: but he made it after some encouraging words. It can get busy especially with the tour vans going up and down but worth the slow ride to the top.
Last year it was closed on Saturday for a bunch of crazy people who were running up it.:yikes: We went back on Sunday on our way home.
Teach if you think I had some funny expressions you would die to meet this crew that is riding down with me. I actually have to sometimes double take and think '' what is he trying to say???''

Suezanna likes Mt Washington. But she's BA like that. I hated every second. I didn't think I was gonna get my fingers loose from the grips.

Anyone who stands on their pegs to look over the side should get pushed over the side. That's just ridiculous.

Hey I have a hard enough time understanding Northerners to begin with!!!

Mazilla
05-16-2017, 05:22 PM
I rode up Mt Washington on my Yamaha FJR , and my hubby was on a Buell 1125R. I was fine going up, until we got stuck behind a tour bus who kept stopping on steep sections of the DIRT road near the top and we were doing our best just to keep moving forward and not lose traction! It was very foggy on the way up too, could not see anything. On the way down the fog lifted and you could see how steep it was down the side of the mountain! Hubby was NOT enjoying it, all he wanted to do was get down! He said he would not do it again. I "might", if I knew that I would not get stuck in tour bus (its really a 15 passenger van type thing) traffic and stop & go traffic on the dirt parts!

GaTeach
05-16-2017, 05:36 PM
I rode up Mt Washington on my Yamaha FJR , and my hubby was on a Buell 1125R. I was fine going up, until we got stuck behind a tour bus who kept stopping on steep sections of the DIRT road near the top and we were doing our best just to keep moving forward and not lose traction! It was very foggy on the way up too, could not see anything. On the way down the fog lifted and you could see how steep it was down the side of the mountain! Hubby was NOT enjoying it, all he wanted to do was get down! He said he would not do it again. I "might", if I knew that I would not get stuck in tour bus (its really a 15 passenger van type thing) traffic and stop & go traffic on the dirt parts!

I would not do it again. Unless y'all were. In which case I'd have no choice. :) can't wait to ride with y'all. :)))

wjduke
05-16-2017, 07:50 PM
I would not do it again. Unless y'all were. In which case I'd have no choice. :) can't wait to ride with y'all. :)))

Y'all can ride up together without me....I'll ride around and wait fer ya's

Maz! Good to see you around!

WEGI
05-18-2017, 10:45 PM
Hi Folks;

So I'm still interested in seeing if there is anyone out there planning to ride up to NH and looking for some riding company. I'm planning on leaving Tuesday the week before and taking my time riding up. No Iron Butt ride....

WEG

Bob Penn
06-05-2017, 08:47 AM
By this morning's weather forecast it looks like a wash out for Americade this week. Laconia week is looking pretty good right now. However you folks coming up from the south might want to remember to bring some warm cloths. It still might be a bite cool up there and I don't mean that in a good way.

WEGI
06-05-2017, 01:48 PM
Hi Bob Penn

Good advice. I'm originally from Boston area and know NH weather well. Old Yankee expression: "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute..."

Three years ago rode up to Laconia and the weather was in the mid 70's but chilly at night. Great biking weather, IMHO of course... But it can get really cool this time of year. Need to be able to layer up.

Ride safe

WEG
ATGATT

Bob Penn
06-07-2017, 08:31 AM
Today's forecast proves me wrong again! You may want to pack your shorts! This coming Sunday's forecast is for temps in the high 80's. They are even saying the rain may stop, but I'd bring my rain gear anyway. Just in case.

PS. However, this morning's temp up here on top of the mountain outside the outhouse was 46 degrees.:yikes: The bladder water didn't freeze but I sure needed the long house coat for that first run!

Bob Penn
06-17-2017, 07:47 AM
It was a crazy week. My computer went down on Monday and I didn't want to take the time to fix it. So I ran it down to Best Buy for repairs. I left it there and went home and started to get ready to go to Laconia but the weather was so hot I put leaving off until Wed. morning.
Wed. morning dawned with perfect riding weather, 65 degrees to start the day and no rain forecasted for at least 2 days. It took a little less than 5 hours to get to Laconia. I wouldn't admit to it but there was some speeding involved at times, but your honor, I was only keeping up with the traffic. I covered 358 miles in a little less than 5 hours. I guess that's not bad for city driving.
Once there I saw the usual suspects mostly Harleys ridden by old men but in fact if it wasn't for the Harley logos and nice paint I would have sworn I was riding down a corridor of mirrors. There was plenty of bikes to see but I only saw 4 F6's in the 2 days.
The riding was fun but the traffic was not. Truth be told I'd rather ride the deserted back roads right here in the hills of PA.

wjduke
06-17-2017, 08:18 AM
I made my last trip there last Saturday. There isn't one thing about it that makes it worth the ride, along with catching crap about owning a Honda. All set...NH backroads only from now on.

53driver
06-17-2017, 08:54 AM
...NH backroads only from now on.

No more Maggie Valley????

wjduke
06-17-2017, 09:31 AM
No more Maggie Valley????

If I have the chance, I'd do Maggie Valley again in a heartbeat. I'm a little down on Laconia, that's all.

WEGI
06-20-2017, 04:03 PM
Here's an update on the trip...

Florida to NH via Pittsburgh PA and Return

I just returned Sunday night from Laconia, NH bike week. Stayed in Lincoln, NH few miles north of Laconia. I rode from Port St Lucie FL to Pittsburgh, staying in Fayetteville, WV first night after about 850 miles. My first long ride. Also was alone as I was meeting two friends in Pittsburgh. Two day Group ride to NH (three of us). Rode around four days then headed back to Pittsburgh, again two days riding. Stayed an extra day then headed out to FL early Sunday morning. Rode straight through to Port St Lucie, FL getting home about 10:30 pm. Long 16 1/2 hour day! About 1070 miles... One tired puppy. Didn't ride through to prove anything, just one mile after another. Surprised me that it was so easy on the F6B. Also my first long trip on the B.

WEG
ATGATT
PS The F6B was a 70th birthday present to myself in March.

53driver
06-20-2017, 10:57 PM
Here's an update on the trip...

Florida to NH via Pittsburgh PA and Return

I just returned Sunday night from Laconia, NH bike week. Stayed in Lincoln, NH few miles north of Laconia. I rode from Port St Lucie FL to Pittsburgh, staying in Fayetteville, WV first night after about 850 miles. My first long ride. Also was alone as I was meeting two friends in Pittsburgh. Two day Group ride to NH (three of us). Rode around four days then headed back to Pittsburgh, again two days riding. Stayed an extra day then headed out to FL early Sunday morning. Rode straight through to Port St Lucie, FL getting home about 10:30 pm. Long 16 1/2 hour day! About 1070 miles... One tired puppy. Didn't ride through to prove anything, just one mile after another. Surprised me that it was so easy on the F6B. Also my first long trip on the B.

WEG
ATGATT
PS The F6B was a 70th birthday present to myself in March.

Well done sir! Yes, the B is an amazing machine.
Cheers!