PDA

View Full Version : Former Goldwing/R1200RT/Victory XCT owners--how was the move

motozeke
10-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Well team, I think I'm down to the F6B, the Goldwing, the R1200RT and the Victory Cross Country Tour as my next bike. I do plan to ride each prior to buying, but I'd love to hear feedback from those that have owned/ridden these models as well. It's always helpful to hear others' cross-shopping experiences.

I'd say what's most important to me are comfort, wind protection, and handling. Not necessarily in that order, but all three bikes are known to be strong in each of these areas. Will be interesting to experience the mix.

As background, I'm 48 and I've owned 3 bikes so far. Currently in the garage are a 2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring and a 2007 VFR800. The Ducati is going, the VFR is staying. I want a replacement bike for the Ducati that has much better wind and weather protection, comfort and storage. I seem to be the odd man out when it comes to the Ducati; I find it pretty uncomfortable, especially on my hips and lower back. I can go longer distances on the VFR, paradoxically. My next bike has got to be all day comfortable, 500+ miles, because those are the kinds of days I like to do.

Any thoughts you have to share would be much appreciated!

Westernbiker
10-09-2013, 01:06 PM
I can only speak of the Goldwing and the F6B. IF! You are looking for a TOURING bike the Goldwing is my choice hands down! It is a big bike so in town surface street riding can be cumbersome at times, although I and many others, use to, and still ride that big Goldwing around town. If you want and in town and maybe out of state weekend fun bike my choice is the F6B. Although I have found that the stock seat on the F6B is ok around town, it does NOT do it for me on a 250 or more mile trip. Custom seat is required on the F6B, at least for me. Plus the stock windscreen on the F6B is worthless and needs to be replaced, if wind buffering is a must to you.

cueman
10-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Well, I've owned a Ducati,BMW,Victory, and many more so I hope this helps. Duc-uncomfortable but fun. BMW-seat is painful and too much shop maintenance down time. Victory-just got tired of it. F6B can do all the things that these bikes can with more comfort. Even the seat is good to me. The windshield was changed for more comfort. IMO the F6b is a winner and most bike for the money.:yes: cueman

Texas TC
10-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Like previously mentioned, the GL1800 full sized Wing is the best for pure touring. I went from a '12 Wing to the F6B and frankly would not go back. This thing is the most fun motorcycle I have ever owned including BMW, Harley's, and full sized Wings, 19 motorcycles in total in my 50 years riding. A taller Windshield is mandatory but there many available now at reasonable costs. Handling is quick and nimble. If you test ride one, you will most probably buy it.

Scotrod
10-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Rode V-twins before. The foot positioning of the Wing/F6B is a bit different from the 'feet forward' feel of some twins. I adjusted to it quicker than I thought, but I'll still need to pick up some higway pegs.
If you don't need a trunk, the F6B's seat will give you more room/set you back farther than a regular Wing does. (Regular Wing feels pretty confined to me)
Depending on your size, the amount of seat 'real estate' each bike provides may be a concern. Lots of seat on the F6B. (Thats good for me as there is a lot of 'me'!)
I was contemplating a Vision,,, perhaps a CCT, but didn't need/want the trunk that comes with both. Kinda hoped for a Vision refresh for 14, but that didn't happen. All of that, and after spending some time on some Vic Forums, I kinda shyed away from Polaris.
No experience w/BMW.

Texas TC
10-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Rode V-twins before. The foot positioning of the Wing/F6B is a bit different from the 'feet forward' feel of some twins. I adjusted to it quicker than I thought, but I'll still need to pick up some higway pegs.
If you don't need a trunk, the F6B's seat will give you more room/set you back farther than a regular Wing does. (Regular Wing feels pretty confined to me)
Depending on your size, the amount of seat 'real estate' each bike provides may be a concern. Lots of seat on the F6B. (Thats good for me as there is a lot of 'me'!)
I was contemplating a Vision,,, perhaps a CCT, but didn't need/want the trunk that comes with both. Kinda hoped for a Vision refresh for 14, but that didn't happen. All of that, and after spending some time on some Vic Forums, I kinda shyed away from Polaris.
No experience w/BMW.

Interesting. I have not looked at the Victory forums but had a bad experience with Polaris not providing warranty on a brand new RZR I owned and will never buy a Polaris product again. Never.

hiflyer
10-09-2013, 04:31 PM
I traded an R1200RT in on the F6B, like the F6B better than any BMW I've owned. Won't ever look back.

Scotrod
10-09-2013, 04:54 PM
Interesting. I have not looked at the Victory forums but had a bad experience with Polaris not providing warranty on a brand new RZR I owned and will never buy a Polaris product again. Never.

Long before I ever thought of a Victory, I had a Polaris PWC. Bought new. Biggest POS made. Stranded several times out on the lake (Walking for help is one thing, SWIMMING is a completely different matter! LOL!) So bad I was given a brand new replacement, and had it back at the Dealer the same day I picked it up for overheating,,, Talk about 'not knowing' if you would make it back to the dock or not! LOL!!!

Recently,,
Surfed the Vic boards for about 2-3 months. Cruise won't work after a wash or rain. Bad castings with weeping oil, Terrible Customer Service, with current owners recommending you contact Victory through FACEBOOK as phone calls are apparently futile.
CC's buffet bad, Cross bikes give ya the hot seat, Clunky transmissions, the rear portion of the Vision's front fender can break off and lock the forks where you can't steer, limited aftermarket stuff so Polaris bends you over for their accessories. Impossible to get replacement parts for earlier models,,,

And now Polaris wants to sell INDIANS? :icon_doh:

Uh, I'm not a fan-boy, but I'll stick with the proven performance and longevity of a Honda over any of that:bsII:

opas ride
10-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Went from a 2011 Vision Tour to the new F6B..Love the new bike and it does all I want it to do..The Vision Tour was far more comfortable on the highway for me than the Goldwing and I just never fit right on the thing...Only had my F6B one day and absolutely love the thing so far....Just the bike I had been looking for...Good Luck.....BTW, I had no issues with both my Victory's in over 6 years of riding.....Some have reported issues, but they are few and far between to my knowledge...I have been a member of the VMC for 7 years and am familiar with most Victory problems and most are minor in my opinion...Dealer network is not hot, but I never needed one......

bones
10-09-2013, 07:01 PM
I've had the opportunity to ride both the Vic XC Tour and the XC. Both bikes fit me nice, have good torque but they both had a buzzy feel to them in the floor boards and grips and in my opinion, the fit and finish was not the best. The Vics also have fork mounted fairings. You tend to get a lot of buffeting on the XC and some on the XCT. I feel that you need a windshield change on both of those bikes and lowers on the XC. Like Scotrod, I've spent some time on the Vic forums and I got turned off by some comments, regarding warranty and issues with them. I've also had the opportunity to ride a Wing a few years ago but not a F6B. That'll be changing soon enough. It's the way to go, for me.

ff73148
10-09-2013, 07:56 PM
I had an RT before my F6B. Completely different ride. It is a sport tourer and does not fit into this class. The reason I got ride of it because it just too vanilla. It had all the bells and whistles but it just didn't do it for me. I am totally satisfied with my F6B. I've put a Corbin saddle on it and I'm comfortable for an all day ride. Touring is not a problem. Ride all the bikes you are considering and make the choice that satisfies you.

bigdawg
10-09-2013, 10:27 PM
FYI, BMW is coming out with a new RT based off of the new water cooled GS in 2014.

hiflyer
10-09-2013, 10:34 PM
FYI, BMW is coming out with a new RT based off of the new water cooled GS in 2014.

I think I read the other day that they have put it off for a year.

motozeke
10-09-2013, 10:39 PM
Thanks all, really appreciate your feedback! Hip surgery coming up in a couple of weeks, then the long recovery. I'll start test riding as soon as the doctors clear me and let you guys know what I think.

billv45
10-10-2013, 09:31 AM
I had a 2007 VFR800 before getting my F6B. If it were a perfect world, I'd still have it AND the Wing!
It's definitely a different riding experience due to the size increase. The VFR just goes were you think and the Wing takes a firmer hand but will do what you tell her. The windshield was my first upgrade. I went with a BaggerShield adjustable and love it but do miss the scoop on the VFR. Not a big fan of the back pressure from a solid shield but I'm not done fixin yet. I really miss the VTEC boost of the VFR but the Wing puts a big smile on my face too. I love the F6B and made the right choice (for me!) My girlfriend fussed about me getting rid of the Interceptor, as she thought it was the most beautiful bike ever, and it is gorgeous, but she just LOVES the new bike and it's comfort.

motozeke
10-10-2013, 11:30 AM
I had a 2007 VFR800 before getting my F6B. If it were a perfect world, I'd still have it AND the Wing!
It's definitely a different riding experience due to the size increase. The VFR just goes were you think and the Wing takes a firmer hand but will do what you tell her. The windshield was my first upgrade. I went with a BaggerShield adjustable and love it but do miss the scoop on the VFR. Not a big fan of the back pressure from a solid shield but I'm not done fixin yet. I really miss the VTEC boost of the VFR but the Wing puts a big smile on my face too. I love the F6B and made the right choice (for me!) My girlfriend fussed about me getting rid of the Interceptor, as she thought it was the most beautiful bike ever, and it is gorgeous, but she just LOVES the new bike and it's comfort.

Oh, I'm definitely keeping the VFR. I love that machine. I can't imagine a better engine for that platform, though maybe one that had a bit more pull, like another 10-15%. That bike is like a swiss watch, everything just works so smoothly. With a suspension upgrade that would be all I would want for the track and day rides. Even weekenders. But not long tours. I did 600+ miles on it in one day and knew that I needed something a lot more comfortable for that kind of work.

billv45
10-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Oh, I'm definitely keeping the VFR. I love that machine. I can't imagine a better engine for that platform, though maybe one that had a bit more pull, like another 10-15%.

Drop a tooth off the front sprocket:icon_biggrin: You'll get more bugs in your teeth...

Richie
10-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Went from a 2011 BMW RT and would never go back. Better power band, less shifting and a lot more comfort.

Richie

Hayabusa
10-10-2013, 11:34 PM
I've only own the R1200R, Goldwing F6B and Goldwing. Regarding engine, a Goldwing is a Goldwing so the F6B and Goldwing engine is identical. No guessing games.

The R1200R and R1200RT have identical engines so no guessing... the R1200 engine and the Goldwing engine is similar.

The subtle difference as the F6B is my 5th Goldwing is you consider the Valkyrie, the old bagger version of the Goldwing.

All Goldwings have this automotive engine smoothness to them. To some people, they say it doesn't have any personality or boring to ride, not enough character. The R1200 engine is smooth, but not like the Goldwing engine. Before buying the F6B, I was very tempted to buy the Concour which is the touring version of the Kawasaki Ninja 1400. Then I got the silly idea that the F6B in some was is the 6 cylinder version of the Ninja 1400 or Hayabusa -with the exception... all comfort, large gas tank, mini-windscreen -the perfect non-race bike/race bike. High performance in comfort, torque, longevity, passenger comfort, etc. I was also tempted by the 6 cylinder BMW. In the end the F6B has the proven engine. I've had the BMW R650, R1150, R1200, F800. They are all good bikes, but BMW has quirks. I've had my F6B for over 6 months and no quirks.

The F6B looks like a cross between a bagger, race bike with solid side saddle bags. I was talking to the dealership about sales of the F6B. I saw former posting that the F6B wasn't selling well. It L.A., they are selling like "hotcakes". Cee Baileys Motorcycle Windshields sells more F6B aftermarket windshields than any other after market windshields. Granted other manufacturers including Honda make aftermarket windshields. As of now, the F6B is only rising in popularity.

The Goldwing, R1200 and Victory are all good bikes.. TOUGH CHOICE :clap2: