PDA

View Full Version : Highest odo reading?

2wheelsforme
05-15-2017, 06:59 AM
I know some GWs go high mileage but this F6B has not been out that long. Who has some big miles and how many have you logged? I'm a measly 17K.

53driver
05-15-2017, 07:17 AM
No one has hit 100K yet, but there are two forum members I know of above 60k.
I'm at 52k.

glryder98
05-15-2017, 10:29 AM
I just turned 70,500 on my 2013. Hopefully 100,000 in 2 more years

2wheelsforme
05-15-2017, 10:48 AM
70 plus. That is pretty high. Mostly trouble free I hope. :yes:

shortleg0521
05-15-2017, 04:31 PM
70 plus. That is pretty high. Mostly trouble free I hope. :yes:

I can't see these bikes not going 200K and better with good maintenance.
Had a couple of Valkyries that didn't look or feel any worse for ware at 100K.
It was the same with them change the oil and brake pads and a mess of tires.

VStarRider
05-15-2017, 06:27 PM
I will roll over to a mere 10k sometime this week. No rush to spin up the odometer for me. I ride when I want to/feel like it.

It will be beautiful here all week...yet, I will probably only ride to work once or twice.

One of the reasons I bought this bike is that I could keep it 20 years and it will still be in good shape if I maintain it and keep it out of the sun for long stretches (one of the reasons I do not ride it to work every day, plus it is a pain in the ass).

I have a feeling this bike will age well (from a style and mechanical perspective).

A redesigned Gold Wing that doesn't look like a slightly modernized 80s touring bike with cruise, ABS, modern stereo, and lots of adjustability for comfort might get me to make a move.

wjduke
05-15-2017, 06:43 PM
I will roll over to a mere 10k sometime this week. No rush to spin up the odometer for me. I ride when I want to/feel like it.

It will be beautiful here all week...yet, I will probably only ride to work once or twice.

One of the reasons I bought this bike is that I could keep it 20 years and it will still be in good shape if I maintain it and keep it out of the sun for long stretches (one of the reasons I do not ride it to work every day, plus it is a pain in the ass).

I have a feeling this bike will age well (from a style and mechanical perspective).

A redesigned Gold Wing that doesn't look like a slightly modernized 80s touring bike with cruise, ABS, modern stereo, and lots of adjustability for comfort might get me to make a move.

I do more miles than you....so far, but I don't see myself setting any records, not in this area of the country. I see this as my last bike....it should outlast me if I take care of it! Slow start because of weather this year, but as of this week, I should start ramping it up. A family graduation this weekend will delay me a bit, but I can't wait to roll out steadily.

glryder98
05-15-2017, 08:33 PM
No problems at all. Change oil every 5,000 miles, change gear oil every 10,000 miles, Change front tire at 17,000 miles. Rear tire change at 35,0000 miles. Only added cruise control.

VStarRider
05-15-2017, 08:36 PM
No problems at all. Change oil every 5,000 miles, change gear oil every 10,000 miles, Change front tire at 17,000 miles. Rear tire change at 35,0000 miles. Only added cruise control.

Two things stuck out to me in your reply. 35k out of the rear? Is that a CT? The cruise control...what are the details?

glryder98
05-16-2017, 04:14 AM
Yes darkside rear and Rostra cruise control. Cost for cruise is about 350 - 400.00. Add another hundred if you use goldwing right side control to look like factory.

Bob Penn
05-16-2017, 06:42 AM
What's the big deal with how many miles you put on your bike. What's important to me is where you've been, what you've done, what you've seen, who you've met, and maybe what you've eaten along the way.
Yes, it can be a barometer of whether you're only a biker wanna be or if your a true biker enthusiast, but riding in circles just to say I've got the most miles seems like rushing to put the last nail in your loved ones coffin.
I think it's agreed the Goldwing is a minimum 100,000 + mile bike with minimum maintenance! That's at least 10 years of service for the average rider. Don't rush it enjoy your life!

The milage only tells you when to change the oil or whether you're riding your brakes too much!

bob109
05-16-2017, 06:45 AM
2013 with 54.7K miles. I "Double Dark Side"! 53.6K miles between two General G-Max (combined) and approximately 40K miles on two Bidgestone BattlAx BT-45's. I have two G-Max in reserve and expect to reach 100K "Double Dark Sided:icon_wink:

GaTeach
05-16-2017, 06:46 AM
What's the big deal with how many miles you put on your bike. What's important to me is wear you've been, what you've done, what you've seen, who you've met, and maybe what you've eaten along the way.
Yes, it can be a barometer of weather you're only a biker wanna be or if your a true biker enthusiast, but riding in circles just to say I've got the most miles seems like rushing to put the last nail in your loved ones coffin.
I think it's agreed the Goldwing is a minimum 100,000 + mile bike with minimum maintenance! That's at least 10 years of service for the average rider. Don't rush it enjoy your life!

The milage only tells you when to change the oil or weather you're riding your brakes too much!

Riding in circles just to say I have the most miles???

No, you're understanding this wrong. I'm only speaking for myself, but I'm not riding JUST to say I have a lot of miles.

I'm riding BECAUSE I FREAKIN LOVE EVERY SECOND OF MY LIFE ON THAT BIKE and that gives me a lot of miles.

Why would you knock people with a lot of miles? Besides, some of us don't have to winterize our bikes.... :) (where is that smily thingie) :icon_biggrin:

bob109
05-16-2017, 07:10 AM

No, you're understanding this wrong. I'm only speaking for myself, but I'm not riding JUST to say I have a lot of miles.

I'm riding BECAUSE I FREAKIN LOVE EVERY SECOND OF MY LIFE ON THAT BIKE and that gives me a lot of miles.

Why would you knock people with a lot of miles? Besides, some of us don't have to winterize our bikes.... :) (where is that smily thingie)

Teach! You have to forgive Bob Penn! One who "dens' with the bears" for six months and puts his 6 on the road whenever Wood Chuck Phil see's or doesn't his shadow is not "right with the world"! At least Bob likes "apple pie":icon_lol:

Bob Penn
05-16-2017, 08:39 AM

Why would you knock people with a lot of miles? Besides, some of us don't have to winterize our bikes.... :) (where is that smily thingie) :icon_biggrin:

Stop personalizing. The caption of this thread is "Highest odo reading?" like the highest will win something.

I'm not knocking anybody except maybe those who use their bikes to go from their house to the bar and back running up high odo numbers for bragging rights.

I'm certainly not talking about you. You've gone places, seen things, done things and even met things. You have stories to tell. Your travels prove you usually have a destination in mind when you ride. I didn't know your milage was such a badge of honor to you.

By the way I don't winterize my bike!! I rode at least one day a month every month for at least the past 20 years. I just pick my days carefully I don't have to ride. I ride when I know I'll enjoy it, not to prove anything. There are far too many pleasurable things in life that can be done inside when the weather outside isn't perfect!

At my age the milage comes no matter how hard I try not to encourage it!!

2wheelsforme
05-16-2017, 09:13 AM
Bob please stop trying to ruin this thread with your bad crotchety attitude. Just trying to have a little fun and talk about riding and our bikes that we love, no prizes given. A little knowledge about how long one can expect this bike to go trouble free might be gained. You don't like to talk about high mile odos then move on and complain about something else somewhere else. Don't even read it if it is making you angry. Please thank you. So far looks like just over 70k is tops. I have almost 120k on a 05 Yamaha Venture and it still works well but does not compare to this F6B in power or handling.

2wheelsforme
05-16-2017, 09:25 AM
Change of plans, now a prize is offered to the F6B with the highest odo reading that attends this years rally. Yep! http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?10563-2017-Rally-Ideas-for-Rides-amp-Things-to-Do&p=148590#post148590

And remember "if you ain't having fun stop doing it."

GaTeach
05-16-2017, 10:44 AM
Yeah, you made me think and I have to say, yes, my mileage is a badge of honor for me.

I think it is such a great testament to the F6B that a chick can ride over 60,000 miles in a year and ten months......16,000 in a month and a half last summer.....747 miles in one day....

And not one of those miles is me and SG riding around in circles just to put miles on!!!!

Yeah. I'm proud of Sweet Georgia. Extremely.

2wheelsforme
05-16-2017, 11:27 AM
Yeah, you made me think and I have to say, yes, my mileage is a badge of honor for me.

I think it is such a great testament to the F6B that a chick can ride over 60,000 miles in a year and ten months......16,000 in a month and a half last summer.....747 miles in one day....

And not one of those miles is me and SG riding around in circles just to put miles on!!!!

Yeah. I'm proud of Sweet Georgia. Extremely.

Yep a great testament for anyone, not for just "a chick" Besides riding around in circles is still riding and so is riding to a bar and back, neither of which is likely to amount to very many miles. I do them all, several hundred each week with the local chapter of the Southern Cruisers, several road trips each year and yes around in circles because it fells good sometimes in a smooth parking lot and good practice also I think if you imagine cones or spots to go around. I do have a windshield free bike for T to T rides. (Tavern to Tavern)

glryder98
05-16-2017, 12:00 PM
What's the big deal with how many miles you put on your bike. What's important to me is wear you've been, what you've done, what you've seen, who you've met, and maybe what you've eaten along the way.
Yes, it can be a barometer of weather you're only a biker wanna be or if your a true biker enthusiast, but riding in circles just to say I've got the most miles seems like rushing to put the last nail in your loved ones coffin.

The milage only tells you when to change the oil or weather you're riding your brakes too much!

Riding in circles? haven't been anywhere? Let's see...... In the last year I have been to Sturgis. Americade in Lake George NY, Bikes Blues and BBQ in Arkansas, Wing Ding in Reno Nevada, Daytona Beach Bike week, And 1 trip to Texas just to visit family. The bottom line is I love to ride my motorcycle any time and any where. Mileage just happens to be a badge of honor.

GaTeach
05-16-2017, 05:00 PM
Riding in circles? haven't been anywhere? Let's see...... In the last year I have been to Sturgis. Americade in Lake George NY, Bikes Blues and BBQ in Arkansas, Wing Ding in Reno Nevada, Daytona Beach Bike week, And 1 trip to Texas just to visit family. The bottom line is I love to ride my motorcycle any time and any where. Mileage just happens to be a badge of honor.

I was in Lake George a couple of times last summer. 28 through the Adirondacks is AMAZING

1951vbs
05-16-2017, 07:52 PM
I was hoping to get to 100,000 first but a great 2015 came in on trade and with only 6000 miles heated grips and cruise...I had to have it. My 2013 is in good hands and unlimited mileage warrany until 2020! Long live the "B"!

GaTeach
05-16-2017, 08:56 PM
I was hoping to get to 100,000 first but a great 2015 came in on trade and with only 6000 miles heated grips and cruise...I had to have it. My 2013 is in good hands and unlimited mileage warrany until 2020! Long live the "B"!

Rock on!!!!

jeffedose
05-17-2017, 09:38 PM
68000 on 2013 deluxe air cleaner changed at 65000. And still looked pretty darn good. Just getting ready to put progressive cartridge mono tubes on with this 2nd set of fork seals...loving it. My gl1800 has 100000 and still smooth as ever...love the f6 for shorter Colorado rides and the big wing for the long long ones...

90 Vmax custom
09 Vmax
94 softail custom
13 f6b
04 gl1800

Rubber side down.......

GaTeach
05-18-2017, 06:10 AM
68000 on 2013 deluxe air cleaner changed at 65000. And still looked pretty darn good. Just getting ready to put progressive cartridge mono tubes on with this 2nd set of fork seals...loving it. My gl1800 has 100000 and still smooth as ever...love the f6 for shorter Colorado rides and the big wing for the long long ones...

90 Vmax custom
09 Vmax
94 softail custom
13 f6b
04 gl1800

Rubber side down.......

Is that the first time you had to replace the air cleaner? I think I'm on my third.

rudymsmith
05-18-2017, 06:29 AM
I know some GWs go high mileage but this F6B has not been out that long. Who has some big miles and how many have you logged? I'm a measly 17K.

As much as I love my F6B, I have three other 2 wheeled rides that beg for me to share my road time with them. Envious of the folks who can Cruise all day everyday!'gw-smiley'

Bob Penn
05-18-2017, 07:22 AM

Thank you for pointing out exactly what I was saying you didn't mention odo. You just pointed out you've gone places, done things, and seen things. Unfortunately, you left out who you met and more importantly what you ate!
Unless you were keeping a log I doubt you could even tell me what the odo reading was at any of these places along the way. That may because the important things are the memories that we have from the gone, done, seen not the milage.
Of course we all love to ride, that's why we have and love bikes.
At the risk of sounding crotchety and being told again to leave this thread by someone that's only been on this site less than 6 months I must say after 58 years of riding, since 1961, and some half a million plus miles I don't need badges or bragging rights. Experience has taught me what's important!
I'm not interested in your odo but I'd love to hear some of you're travel stories!
If your worried about the expected longevity and if you did your homework all Goldwing owners know that these bikes are good for over 100,000 + miles! That's one of the reasons why we bought them.

2wheelsforme
05-18-2017, 07:25 AM
If not interested in someone odo why even click on this thread with odo in the title? Why don't you start your own thread that you like, maybe call it "Travel Stories" If you are lucky no one will criticize it.

2wheelsforme
05-18-2017, 08:18 AM
Well 195 VBS is high with 78K on a F6B but no longer accumulating miles. Maybe the person he sold it to will become a member and we can still see the 100K milestone crossed soon. Like the title says it is highest odo reading not how many miles you have done. It is about the bike not the Rider. Looks like many have over the 50K mark and at least one will be at the rally in PF. Yep!

Bob Penn
05-18-2017, 08:25 AM
If not interested in someone odo why even click on this thread with odo in the title? Why don't you start your own thread that you like, maybe call it "Travel Stories" If you are lucky no one will criticize it.

That's real funny coming from someone that's been on this site less than 5 month yet has over 180 post. Nothing else to do? Maybe you should go out and ride your tricycle around the block.

Stop telling me what to do! If you start a thread it's open to discussion. If you can't handle it, your the one with the problem!!

If you don't like what people say on a thread you start maybe you shouldn't even start one, because you start it doesn't mean you own it. Your obviously one of those people with little experience claiming to be an expert on everything.

Now I've got to go enjoy riding on this beautiful hot spring day regardless of my odo.

2wheelsforme
05-18-2017, 09:01 AM
So much anger Bob! Yes maybe riding will help. I don't profess to be anything except a person who loves my bikes, riding and talking about those two things. Twice now you have referred to the short time I've been here. I did not know we had a pecking order according to ones seniority. Can we just get back to talking about high mileage odos? If you are not having fun you are doing it wrong.

Bill1584
05-18-2017, 09:09 AM
This strikes me as the dichotomy of which Mr. Pirsig spoke. Classic vs. Romantic. From the romantic side, we find much more fulfillment in the spoils of the journey than what it might take to complete it. From the classic side, things like fuel economy, oil longevity, chain tension and such are integral to the enjoyment of the same journey. Some might even say critical to it. Same path, different perspectives.

So I guess now we should refrain from discussions about oil preferences, tires, fuel types, because they are just a means to an end? Just because they do not directly relate to what we ate along the way? Because of their innate irrelevance? Some people, frankly, deeply enjoy all of the technical aspects of motorcycle ownership. I happen to be one.

Oh, and I mention my odo last because it is a little embarrassing. Purchased a 13 in 14, and still have yet to break 10k. Not that this is important particularly, but out of respect and deference to the OP...

2wheelsforme
05-18-2017, 09:15 AM
"dichotomy" Now that word I had to look up. Thanks, enjoyed your post and learned a new word. :icon_biggrin:

53driver
05-18-2017, 09:53 AM
Just finished with three days of teaching 11 riders at the HD Riding Academy here in Pensacola.
Isleen had to sit all day for three days in the HD parking lot. She grew VERY tired of that nonsense.
I was incredibly fatigued last night, but all the riders passed and everyone went away tired and happy.

I think Isleen and I are going on a ride today up to Brewton, around to western Alabama somewhere and then back home.
Never did just 'joy ride' in that area....should be fun. We'll see where she wants to go.

Recommend all y'all get out and enjoy the weather because this weekend - especially Sunday here - looks ominous. :yikes:
I'll have to find a dry place to hole up!

Cheers,
Steve

GaTeach
05-18-2017, 01:40 PM
Well 195 VBS is high with 78K on a F6B but no longer accumulating miles. Maybe the person he sold it to will become a member and we can still see the 100K milestone crossed soon. Like the title says it is highest odo reading not how many miles you have done. It is about the bike not the Rider. Looks like many have over the 50K mark and at least one will be at the rally in PF. Yep!

I got the prepaid maintenance so I'm sure this isn't a complete list. I take her to Cycle World and I pick her up.

I'm on my fourth set of tires. First two sets were Stones. Now I have The E4s.

Third air cleaner. Had an incident with a rat's nest about a year ago.

MANY headlight bulbs.

Front wheel bearings

Steering head bearings

I'm on my third battery.

2wheelsforme
05-18-2017, 01:54 PM
I got the prepaid maintenance so I'm sure this isn't a complete list. I take her to Cycle World and I pick her up.

MANY headlight bulbs.

Front wheel bearings

Steering head bearings

I'm on my third battery.

You are at just over 60 right? Surprised you had two sets of bearing problems. More convincing that I will get the extended warranty next year. Tires, batteries, bulbs, filters I consider consumables like oil and gas. What you gonna do about rats, some got in my SUV last year, put out poison and something ate a bunch of it and I quit seeing the vermin.

98valk
05-18-2017, 03:04 PM
I must say after 58 years of riding, since 1961, and some half a million plus miles I don't need badges or bragging rights.

Sorry, but that is too funny! :stirthepot:

F6Dave
05-18-2017, 07:24 PM
I just turned over 39,000 on mine last weekend. I can't ride today because it's snowing here in Colorado!

I also have two old Valkyries. One has over 97,000 miles, and the other is over 174,000. These Honda flat sixes last nearly forever.

jeffedose
05-18-2017, 10:31 PM
Is that the first time you had to replace the air cleaner? I think I'm on my third.

Yes I was amazed how clean it still was.

Bob Penn
05-19-2017, 09:43 AM

MANY headlight bulbs.

Front wheel bearings

Steering head bearings

I'm on my third battery.

Most of what you listed is normal, but "many headlight bulbs" and "3 batteries" is not. You might want to have someone else check out your electrical system.
I'd start with the power coming out of your headlight socket and maybe the output of your alternator. Knowing your odo your bike doesn't sit around long enough to kill batteries and bulbs unless they are faulty to start. Maybe there's too much power going to the light and thus blowing the bulbs. Then again maybe it's just one of those southern belle accessory you might have added like an electric hair dryer or window air conditioner. :icon_lol:

53driver
05-19-2017, 09:50 AM
I sense impending 'moderating' required.....

MANY headlight bulbs.

Front wheel bearings

Steering head bearings

I'm on my third battery.

Most of what you listed is normal, but "many headlight bulbs" and "3 batteries" is not. You might want to have someone else check out your electrical system.
I'd start with the power coming out of your headlight socket and maybe the output of your alternator. Knowing your odo your bike doesn't sit around long enough to kill batteries and bulbs unless they are faulty to start. Maybe there's too much power going to the light and thus blowing the bulbs. Then again maybe it's just one of those southern belle accessory you might have added like an electric hair dryer or window air conditioner. :icon_lol:

firetech
05-19-2017, 04:50 PM
53000 smiles :icon_lol: A little about those miles...
2013 standard bought 03/13, been to 2 of our rallies in Franklin, 2 trips to Fl keys, many trips to Fl east coast, 2 trips to the Carolinas and Tenn,
solo trip to Connecticut, been to about 18 of our Fl ride to eats (great way to meet people and get some miles and ooohh eat some great food) :chatchairs:"thanksgiving'''
No problems with bike at all, on 4th set of tires, replaced air filter with K&N way back, replaced plugs with iridium's way back, 3rd set of
headlights(by choice went to HID then to LED), change oil every 5000 with Rotela T6, final drive every 2nd oil change, coolant and brake fluid
at 25000. getting ready to do again this weekend. changed front and rear brakes around 30000.
Lots of great scenery and memories, looking forward to many more.

GaTeach
05-20-2017, 08:45 AM
Then again maybe it's just one of those southern belle accessory you might have added like an electric hair dryer or window air conditioner. :icon_lol:

The only Southern belle accessory I'm carrying is a Ruger LC 9. You've seen it. I thought I was going to have to use it that day in the Delaware Water Gap when you and that Yankee in the minivan were having a "discussion" about right-of-way.

Then I found out that yelling at each other in the middle of the road is just what Yankees do. Who knew???

Bob Penn
05-20-2017, 09:37 AM
53000 smiles :icon_lol: A little about those miles...
2013 standard bought 03/13, been to 2 of our rallies in Franklin, 2 trips to Fl keys, many trips to Fl east coast, 2 trips to the Carolinas and Tenn,
solo trip to Connecticut, been to about 18 of our Fl ride to eats (great way to meet people and get some miles and ooohh eat some great food) :chatchairs:"thanksgiving'''
No problems with bike at all, on 4th set of tires, replaced air filter with K&N way back, replaced plugs with iridium's way back, 3rd set of
headlights(by choice went to HID then to LED), change oil every 5000 with Rotela T6, final drive every 2nd oil change, coolant and brake fluid
at 25000. getting ready to do again this weekend. changed front and rear brakes around 30000.
Lots of great scenery and memories, looking forward to many more.

Now your a riding, talking, and a eaten!
It was interesting about what you fed your bike over the years but could you give me more details on what and where you ate in Key West? Is the Turtle Kurrels still there. Did Jimmy buy the whole place? Is the Live Bar still sharing the parking lot. Are they still offering a Key West dozen oysters (16) for $1.50?
Now that brought back some happy memories! :icon_lol:
Damn, I had some low ODO readings back then.

Alys
05-20-2017, 09:57 AM
Just 4100KM on my 2016.

Bob Penn
05-20-2017, 10:08 AM
The only Southern belle accessory I'm carrying is a Ruger LC 9. You've seen it. I thought I was going to have to use it that day in the Delaware Water Gap when you and that Yankee in the minivan were having a "discussion" about right-of-way.

Then I found out that yelling at each other in the middle of the road is just what Yankees do. Who knew???

Oh you were miss led my child! That was no Yankee that was an out of state New Yorker!
I just can't stand people telling me what to do or forcing me to ride at 10 miles an hour down a winding road that begs to be ridden at 60! :banghead:
Do you remember that road? They just repaved it. Now, just last week in fact, on my way to the bakery I proved 70 is possible. You know at my age I have to travel at that speed to get my ODO up so I can brag and still have time to eat.

Bob Penn
05-20-2017, 10:19 AM
Just 4100KM on my 2016.

Welcome to the site. I look forward to hearing about your adventures and travels in Jordan! Please remember to include what you eat along the way. Your culinary variety would really interest me.:eat1:

Steve 0080
05-21-2017, 07:14 AM
I met a young lady (25) yesterday riding a SFV-650 with 70K at 18 months! The lady works about three jobs and does her own oil changes!!! I did turn her on to Rotella as she was paying $60 for a gallon on oil?

Bdog
05-21-2017, 09:42 AM
I have a friend that has put ALOT of miles on bikes over the years. He is always quick with a joke or words of wisdom. I guess he's had a lot of time to think while riding so much. A few of us were sitting around one day talking about how many miles he and others have ridden and he had some "wisdom" that I thing may apply well to this thread. He said some people ride 5k a year and some ride 50k a year. All that matters is that they both enjoyed those miles the same.