PDA

View Full Version : SoCal LED Switchback turn signal kit

soberbiker
05-19-2017, 10:37 AM
Feb of this year I ordered and installed a LED Switchback turn signal kit on my F6B and it was operating flawlessly until yesterday 5/18 my right hand signal completely quit. No light, no turn signal. I have check connections to see if they are solid (and they are) at the signal head but haven't dove into the rest of the connections line yet. I was hoping to find out if this is common fail or it there's a troubled area I should go to check next?

53driver
05-19-2017, 10:50 AM
Did the rear go out as well?
If only front, try swapping bulbs.
If rear went out as well, I'll have to find and check the schematic.

Steve

soberbiker
05-19-2017, 10:54 AM
Did the rear go out as well?
If only front, try swapping bulbs.
If rear went out as well, I'll have to find and check the schematic.

Steve

Good suggestion...It is just the front.

2wheelsforme
05-19-2017, 11:27 AM
Did you see this post? http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?10725-SoCal-counterfeits

soberbiker
05-19-2017, 01:05 PM
Did you see this post? http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?10725-SoCal-counterfeits

I had not seen that post. No worries though, I purchased the kit direct form SoCal. To update the trouble shooting and per suggestion from 53Driver, I found that the bulb was the culprit. I thought LED's weren't suppose to burn out in the first 30 days...:icon_laugh:

Sorcerer
05-19-2017, 02:42 PM
I had not seen that post. No worries though, I purchased the kit direct form SoCal. To update the trouble shooting and per suggestion from 53Driver, I found that the bulb was the culprit. I thought LED's weren't suppose to burn out in the first 30 days...:icon_laugh:

LEDs never burn out. The electronics that drive them fail. Just like CFLs. The heat kills the power supply.

grendl
05-19-2017, 07:39 PM
I installed mine and in less than a year the right one failed. The way it failed was it came on and stayed on constant no flashing. It also had a serious burning smell.
Since I also had Muth Signal Mirrors I stopped and unplugged the wiring and worked it when I got home. It was the bulb. I wrote SoCal about it,received no response but reordered the bulbs any way.I noticed when I installed the replacements they were different that the originals - maybe an improved design?
I will say this because I have found it true. There are many nice things for our Bikes but so far while the addition may work,I notice the craftmanship and life to be shorter than the original I have replaced.
Right now it is limited experience and I dont want to dog our sponsors,but before this is over my bike is going to be back to original if this keeps up.