PDA

View Full Version : PA. NY. NJ. or the NE ride

Bob Penn
05-22-2017, 02:38 PM
We may be putting together a ride for this coming memorial day weekend for any bodies who might be available and interested. Of course Weather permitting!
We are open to suggestions. Some possible destinations have been listed under the NE weather thread but please feel free to suggest some.

Mazilla
05-22-2017, 04:29 PM
I'm in! As long as no rain. I am up for anything!

We used this web site for suggestions on where to ride when we were in NC, looks like lots of rides in PA
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Pennsylvania_114.html?&scenery=5

Mazilla
05-22-2017, 04:41 PM
How about a coastal tour through Delaware??
Check out this route:
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/149/Delaware/Delaware-Coast-Short-Run.html#sthash.OB3Qn6mo.dpbs

Looks like the end of the route (near Dover Delaware) is 3 hrs from Newfoundland PA...and there are places to stop and eat crabs....mmmmmmm crab....

wjduke
05-22-2017, 05:25 PM
Me and Maz are in...as I said in the other thread, whatever we do should get us home on Sunday....weather turns on Monday, as of today.....a week out brings change.

DMAGOLDRDR
05-22-2017, 06:34 PM
I'll be in DC at the veterans memorial this weekend.

Enjoy the ride folks!!!

Bob Penn
05-23-2017, 07:29 AM
I'm in! As long as no rain. I am up for anything!

We used this web site for suggestions on where to ride when we were in NC, looks like lots of rides in PA
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Pennsylvania_114.html?&scenery=5

Yes this is a great site.

I enjoyed their report on the PA Route 6 ride. It's one of the rides I suggested. I've done it a couple of times many years ago but never knew about all the eateries suggested by the reviewers who rated 6 the best bike road in PA. This is the road we'll be taking out to the Elk Park later in August to hear the bugling. Give it a read.

Bob Penn
05-23-2017, 07:37 AM
How about a coastal tour through Delaware??
Check out this route:
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/149/Delaware/Delaware-Coast-Short-Run.html#sthash.OB3Qn6mo.dpbs

Looks like the end of the route (near Dover Delaware) is 3 hrs from Newfoundland PA...and there are places to stop and eat crabs....mmmmmmm crab....

We could do that but that road down there can be a real traffic bottleneck, especially on a holiday weekend. Then again I do like crabs!

Bob Penn
05-23-2017, 07:42 AM
I'll be in DC at the veterans memorial this weekend.

Enjoy the ride folks!!!

We will miss you:icon_cry:!! If we go I'll let you know what we ate.:icon_lol:

wjduke
05-23-2017, 08:25 AM
Let's do a mystery ride around the state....doesn't matter to me. We'll have all day.

GaTeach
05-23-2017, 09:31 AM
BRING EXTRA AMMO

DMAGOLDRDR
05-24-2017, 06:11 AM
We will miss you:icon_cry:!! If we go I'll let you know what we ate.:icon_lol:

ssshhh,,, I thought I heard someone say Cheese Danish.

no

ok, carry on...

wjduke
05-24-2017, 12:41 PM
May I assume a 10am meet up at Matamoras? If this changes, let me know. I need to make sure of my departure time!

Bob Penn
05-25-2017, 06:55 AM
May I assume a 10am meet up at Matamoras? If this changes, let me know. I need to make sure of my departure time!
That works for me. Or if it's just us and Maz (no one else seems to be chiming in) we could meet at Exit 20 off 84. St route 507. It's about 30 miles west of Matamoras. It's the interchange where you normally get on 84 to head home after eating at the Hotel. There's a truck stop there and a nice dinner for "P" and coffee. From there we could head north up 507 along the lake to Rt 6. Then 6 into the back hills to see the valleys below.
The forecast here is showers on Friday and Sunday but Saturday still looks good for riding all day. That's if you want to believe someone who makes his living performing on TV in front of a map.
10 am is good if we're meeting in Matamoras, 10:30 at exit 20 or just give me a call mobil (570- 614 9028) if your running late or early. Naturally the earlier the better to see more but enjoyment and comfort comes first!

wjduke
05-25-2017, 08:26 AM
That works for me. Or if it's just us and Maz (no one else seems to be chiming in) we could meet at Exit 20 off 84. St route 507. It's about 30 miles west of Matamoras. It's the interchange where you normally get on 84 to head home after eating at the Hotel. There's a truck stop there and a nice dinner for "P" and coffee. From there we could head north up 507 along the lake to Rt 6. Then 6 into the back hills to see the valleys below.
The forecast here is showers on Friday and Sunday but Saturday still looks good for riding all day. That's if you want to believe someone who makes his living performing on TV in front of a map.
10 am is good if we're meeting in Matamoras, 10:30 at exit 20 or just give me a call mobil (570- 614 9028) if your running late or early. Naturally the earlier the better to see more but enjoyment and comfort comes first!

10:30 at EXIT 20 is fine. I have to leave my area at 6:00 to make that. Maz is 95% going...I'm for sure. I need my medicine.

GaTeach
05-25-2017, 09:48 AM
10:30 at EXIT 20 is fine. I have to leave my area at 6:00 to make that. Maz is 95% going...I'm for sure. I need my medicine.

I'm glad Maz is goin to protect y'all!

wjduke
05-25-2017, 09:52 AM
We're in.....10:30 exit 20....guns ablazing

Bob Penn
05-26-2017, 05:44 AM
We're in.....10:30 exit 20....guns ablazing

It's breakfast time and raining hard right now!! So I just interrupted feeding time to check this morning's weather forecast. Seems the weather front changed course and is now heading further north and east putting it right over us. You'll be heading right into it! The forecast for Saturday is now predicting rain showers all day.:nono:
So unless your bike really needs a washing, you may want to reconsider this and save your vacation days.

Maybe next Saturday, the 3rd, we can ride down to Reading to see the airshow mentioned on the Gettysburg thread.

wjduke
05-26-2017, 06:30 AM
Well, sounds like we're postponing. Next weekend doesn't work for me personally.

I contacted Maz. Our weather here looks good Sat and Sun....I'm riding anyway. I do love that area though. Next time!

wjduke
05-27-2017, 06:26 AM
Two Matte Silvers will be cruising RI, CT, and MA today. Maz and Wayne. Maybe see someone out there. Doing the Quabbin area.

Bob Penn
05-27-2017, 06:54 AM
Looks like we called it right. This morning it's overcast here and looking like any minute rain. The local weatherman is calling for off and on showers for the rest of the day.
I'm sure I'll get some riding in locally but I doubt it would have been much fun for those who would have had to ride 4 hours to get here and worst yet 4 hours home in wet BVD's.

Enjoy your local riding, stay dry, and by all means have a great lunch!

53driver
05-27-2017, 09:39 AM
I need to get into that "lunch" thing more....
Yesterday started at 0600, rode from PCola to NAS Meridian, coached the Advanced Rider Course Range from 1100-1430, then rode back to PCola, arriving home at 1845.
441 miles, mostly on Hwy 45, which is 2 then 4 lane, then coming home on the Friday before a long weekend, with all the traffic heading to PCola (now a huge LGBT Memorial Day weekend destination), that 441 miles took all of 8 hours.

Oh yeah...lunch? Two bottles of Gatorade, and two protein bars.
Not exactly a culinary extravaganza.....
I need training....
Cheers,
Steve

wjduke
05-27-2017, 06:24 PM
We had a great day. I clocked 320. Lunch wasn't great, just a pizza, but Maz is great to ride with. I only got us lost at the end. She saw familiar territory and took over! I have one more day to tackle before rain Monday.

JGF6B
05-27-2017, 08:40 PM
Nice!
Almost went... as usual. Retirement is in 20 years, then I'll be able to make every trip!

Bob Penn
05-28-2017, 05:19 AM
I need to get into that "lunch" thing more....
Yesterday started at 0600, rode from PCola to NAS Meridian, coached the Advanced Rider Course Range from 1100-1430, then rode back to PCola, arriving home at 1845.
441 miles, mostly on Hwy 45, which is 2 then 4 lane, then coming home on the Friday before a long weekend, with all the traffic heading to PCola (now a huge LGBT Memorial Day weekend destination), that 441 miles took all of 8 hours.

Oh yeah...lunch? Two bottles of Gatorade, and two protein bars.
Not exactly a culinary extravaganza.....
I need training....
Cheers,
Steve

If I ate like that my pants would fall off!!

You obviously spend too much time teaching people how not to fall off their bikes and not enough time teaching them how to fall off their diets.

Bob Penn
05-28-2017, 05:40 AM
Yesterday I did the local riding thing and managed to avoid 2 rain clouds.
Making it back to the garage, I only managed 112 miles but I did stay dry at least until I opened the bar.

Back on the deck I had to eat my own cooking. Thank God London broil and baked potatoes on the grill are not that hard to make. To my credit I added a tossed salad.

Today's forecast looks drier, hopefully I'll get more miles than calories in.

Bob Penn
05-28-2017, 05:47 AM
Nice!
Almost went... as usual. Retirement is in 20 years, then I'll be able to make every trip!

As my now dead uncle used to tell me, "Any damn fool can work for a living, you proved that.":icon_lol:

Bob Penn
05-28-2017, 05:56 AM
We had a great day. I clocked 320. Lunch wasn't great, just a pizza, but Maz is great to ride with. I only got us lost at the end. She saw familiar territory and took over! I have one more day to tackle before rain Monday.

It's good you guys stayed in the dry East, but you disappoint me, with all I tought you. In the land of lobster rolls you ate Pizza?:shrug: :icon_lol:

wjduke
05-28-2017, 06:53 AM
Not many lobster rolls in central Mass! There was McDonalds, pizza and a CVS. We chose pizza.

53driver
05-28-2017, 08:25 AM
If I ate like that my pants would fall off!!

You obviously spend too much time teaching people how not to fall off their bikes and not enough time teaching them how to fall off their diets.

As my now dead uncle used to tell me, "Any damn fool can work for a living, you proved that.":icon_lol:

Teaching people good techniques is exactly how I'm not working for a living, but rather playing and having serious fun.

I promise I'll work on my lunch techniques!
Cheers,
Steve