PDA

View Full Version : F6B Dyno'd

jlyon
10-09-2013, 11:02 PM
Hey y'all.... I bought my Red F6B last Wed (had to wait three extra hours while the dealer completed the build with my accessories) and drove it from the store in Md down to Myrtle Beach, S.C. for the fall rally... I also own a 2009 H-D Fat Bob CVO and a 2009 H-D Ultra bumped up to a 103 ci with high comp heads, Zeppelin seat and a ton of other goodies... but I have to say ... I LOVE THIS FREAKIN" BIKE !!!! :icon_biggrin:

I had the dealer add the Cobra pipes, K&N easier flow air filter, and the Bazzaz tuner to the package... drove it down to Myrtle, and promptly took it to a well known dyno / tuner guy for a check out (Lloyd'z Motor Workz).... Here is the report...

Verbally: Kyle said that the Bazzaz auto tuner with the F6B base map in it was doing its job perfectly, and that there was really nothing worth doing that he could do to make it any better....

The numbers: 106.47 HP 115.6 ft/lbs of torque Not too shabby !!!!

Side note: He said these were the quietest dyno runs he had ever done !!! :icon_lol:

Now I'm considering replacing the cat converter with torque tubes for an additional power boost... any info on them out here ???

MichaelG
10-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Now I'm considering replacing the cat converter with torque tubes for an additional power boost... any info on them out here ???

jlyon, I would offer you my very experienced opinion...but...I will bite my tongue, and watch as you..."do your thing".

jlyon
10-09-2013, 11:18 PM
jlyon, I would offer you my very experienced opinion...but...I will bite my tongue, and watch as you..."do your thing".

Come on Miles... I asked.... :P

MichaelG
10-09-2013, 11:37 PM
Come on Miles... I asked.... :P

Nope...my thoughts will only pizz you off, and I want you to be welcome, and feel welcome here.:icon_wink:

Coyote1998
10-09-2013, 11:50 PM
Hey y'all.... I bought my Red F6B last Wed (had to wait three extra hours while the dealer completed the build with my accessories) and drove it from the store in Md down to Myrtle Beach, S.C. for the fall rally... I also own a 2009 H-D Fat Bob CVO and a 2009 H-D Ultra bumped up to a 103 ci with high comp heads, Zeppelin seat and a ton of other goodies... but I have to say ... I LOVE THIS FREAKIN" BIKE !!!! :icon_biggrin:

I had the dealer add the Cobra pipes, K&N easier flow air filter, and the Bazzaz tuner to the package... drove it down to Myrtle, and promptly took it to a well known dyno / tuner guy for a check out (Lloyd'z Motor Workz).... Here is the report...

Verbally: Kyle said that the Bazzaz auto tuner with the F6B base map in it was doing its job perfectly, and that there was really nothing worth doing that he could do to make it any better....

Side note: He said these were the quietest dyno runs he had ever done !!! :icon_lol:

I have had the torque loops installed, I just need pipes now.....has anybody had a stock F6B on a dyno so we can compare!

GiddyupF6B
10-10-2013, 08:19 AM

I'm in Frederick too. I'll be on the lookout for an F6B, I haven't come across another one yet.

Big Dawg
10-10-2013, 08:37 AM

I'm with Miles on this one.
I like to keep mine stealthy. I's easier to hear my stereo. I left the loud pipes when I left the Harleys. I don't like to give the cops a heads up and let them know I'm coming. Even my sport bikes have stock pipes.

I do wish you continued success and please enjoy your bike(s) "whatever makes you happy" You can spend over a thousand dollars and only gain a couple of horsepower, if it makes you happy, then go for it. I have spent a couple of thousand on suspension and that makes me happy!

FlyinF
10-10-2013, 08:43 AM
I think the point is missed............I spend thousands of dollars on my bikes to make them unique and "mine". And the sad news is, when it comes time to sell or trade we rarely get those thousands back.

MichaelG
10-10-2013, 09:18 AM
You can spend over a thousand dollars and only gain a couple of horsepower, if it makes you happy, then go for it. I have spent a couple of thousand on suspension and that makes me happy!

I spent a couple thousand to ride out to North Carolina to meet Big Dawg, and that makes me happy ! :icon_wink:

Big Dawg
10-10-2013, 09:26 AM
I spent a couple thousand to ride out to North Carolina to meet Big Dawg, and that makes me happy ! :icon_wink:

Hell Yeah, it made me happy too, my friend! How is the hearing and balance coming along?

chipmaker
10-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Can't imagine throwin all those parts on the bike without getting a stock baseline run... Hopefully someone has one to post.

Big Dawg
10-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Can't imagine throwin all those parts on the bike without getting a stock baseline run... Hopefully someone has one to post.

Most stock gl1800's dyno around 102~105 depending on the dyno.

Bruce B
10-10-2013, 12:09 PM
For dyno runs with a baseline, check out the thread "Dyno Run" in "The Garage" forum.

Scotrod
10-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Yeah, but,,,

If it ain't the same bike on the same dyno by the same operator under identical conditions ,, its all a bit 'fuzzy'

I saw a before / after chart for the GL1800 on Bazazz's site where it gained about 3 HP/ 3 TQ (with Bazazz only) Of course, multiple mods can all 'work together' for larger gains.

Not a lot of true 'power chasers' with the GL1800 and very few options to do such things even if you are so inclined.

Had a VTX 1800 with intake/ pipes/ PC3 w/custom dual map. Cost a grand+ for parts/dyno time. Ran real nice, and I was happy with it, but the appeal of such things doesn't seem as strong today as it was back then.

:wheelchair wheelie:

That, and I've seen more than enough of these already!

:cop2:

Big Dawg
10-10-2013, 01:43 PM
Hey Jloyn,

You might find this and interesting read..........if you want a fast F6B

http://*****************/forums/showthread.php?183868-GL1800-turbo-on-the-road&highlight=turbo

jkelley
10-10-2013, 01:53 PM
I chased Hp and torque on all my Harleys, This one I'm leaving alone. If squeezing the power lemon is your thing, then more power to you.
One of the many reasons I went F6B is how it ran out of the box without spending thousands to make it run.
Damn, am I getting old?

Scotrod
10-10-2013, 02:54 PM
I'd consider tweaking on mine,, a little,,, if there were any 'low hanging grapes' to be had. Doesn't seem to be the case.

But then again, I still haven't had mine over 4500 rpm yet!!!

Hey,,, :shock:

Wait a minute,,,

I just realized,,,

WHOO HOOO!!! I got grapes I ain't even checked out yet!!! Those located at 4500 PLUS rpm!!!! :woohoo:

Mustangjake
10-10-2013, 09:25 PM
http://youtu.be/UeuyoTq3MHo

ED209
03-21-2014, 06:09 PM
So... O.P.

Is the Bazzaz unit in combination WITH their Bazzaz auto tuner ?

I like that dyno sheet, is it at less than 100% correction ?

I've had my experiences with dyno games against Harleys with my Yamaha Stratoliner 120ci, so I know a little bit, but not too much. I really believe those low numbers people put online on our motor are less than a 100% correction factor and of-course smoothing 5. There is so much to consider in a dyno, the weight and experience of the operator and all the other factors.

There is a reason this bike is so quick, aerodynamics and power is really something to be reckoned with by other bikes thinking of trying to antagonize you. :catfight:

Like I said in another post, numbers are a game, this bike can run right there with my 120ci 110hp 140 lbs trq Stratoliner, that just don't make sense. Although the Stratoliner would roast the tire off the rim in 3 gears it still couldn't beat out more than like 113-114mph in all my 1/4mile runs.

Thanks for your input and those numbers, great work ! :icon_cool:

JBnAZ
03-21-2014, 09:39 PM
I love reading threads like this, reading about others with the tinkering addiction. I just dropped 3K lifting my F150 and putting better tires on it. I also have my next set of upgrades to install on the bike this weekend. So spend it if you have it on whatever makes you happy. HP gains are silly expensive, that's a universal truth.

Reading about others spending makes me feel less of a hopeless addict!

Scotrod
03-21-2014, 10:38 PM
An OEM 113 Liner is ~done~ after 4k rpm, Rolling it up tighter isn't going to be 'rewarding',,, TQ is droppin fast and it's HP sucks. It is, however, hellish fun to short shift up to about 70 or so,,, :icon_twisted:

There's really no comparison between the XV1900 and the 6 in the HIT you azz feels when you crack the wick in top gear at 60 mph. The Wing loses that game big time... but,,, as the revs build, the wing's HP pulls out and the over-stroked torque monster runs outta breath,,, Wing leaves the Liner behind on the big end,,,

Rode my new 6 for a week before I rode the wifes 'Liner in to HOR to trade it for her very own 6. Totally different sensation of power. Cracking open 118 mm of stroke can instantly hit you hard,,, 71 mm? Eh,,, them squirrels have to be sprinting before they can 'bark',, If not, the speed on a Wing just kinda sneaks up on ya after a while,, :icon_biggrin:

120, you outta pull them heads off yer 6, cut the bowls back, port, polish, rework the exhaust, and dump some more fuel down her throat's w/ a programmer,,,

C'mon,,, We KNOW you wanna do it!!! :icon_twisted:

ED209
03-22-2014, 08:09 AM
:icon_lol: I think I'll wait for Blacksmith to come through on something.

A little 20-30 shot of nitrous will always get the job done. :shhh:

I am going to try to find the fellow in Palm Coast again, the one with the land speed Goldwing. He knows a lot about this motor. I will try to hook him up with Blacksmith.

I did build my own 120ci in my Stratoliner, sent in my own specs for milling, top ring gap set to my preference, did my throttle bodies, exhaust ports and let Vtwin Racing do the heads. Also built a couple big block chevys, built transfer cases for off road vehicles, frames, roll bars, axles, tranmissions, my father and I built a couple air boats and put Avco Lycoming motors in them.

What I have stuck in my mind is that this bike in stock form is perfectly powered for any occasion [out of the box]. You just cant find that in any bike. Busting out over 100+ in hp and torque and a long powerband has really surprised me. The O.P. [original posters] dyno is impressive, it shows the nature of the beast. But I do believe there will be more to meet the eye from looking at the sheet. I think a cold-air induction and an X pipe to assist each bank of cylinders pull each other with a controller with a power a/f map, can really pull out a little more at a savings of not having to pull heads or cams. Theres always tire size games too, you can do a lot with the tire profile.

Its all fun, especially talking about it like Jbnaz said :lolup:

Scotrod
03-22-2014, 09:15 AM
I agree, the power-band / delivery of the flat 6 right off the showroom floor is about as 'plush/seamless/predictable/all-around enjoyable' as it gets! :yes:

Until I owned one, I couldn't figure out why anybody would accept the ~reduced~ foot/leg room required by the flat 6. I also discovered 'feet ~back~ positioning wasn't near as bad as I figured it would be!!!

Better be quiet about that X pipe!!! :shhh: Folks around here are stuck in 'loop' mode!!! :icon_wink:

Would be nice if someone could come up with one/bring it to market,,, however,,, don't expect any major MFG to step up to the plate.

For now, 'off road use only' is the only thing that keeps these exhaust manufacturers legally in business. They want nothing to do with developing a 'limited market' item that clearly voids emissions for an engine/bike that has never been used in / recognized for any off-road sport. (We need a 'Run Forest, RUN!' icon here!)

Has anyone ever see a flat-six powered MC in any professional off-road competition??? :shrug: Me neither.

MoonDawg
07-28-2014, 09:38 PM

Have you had any problems with your bike having the Bazazz unit installed? I've had nothing but problems. A hesitation

jlyon
07-29-2014, 02:25 PM
MoonDawg,

No, I had no problems with it at all.... no hesitation, no running too lean or too rich...

My dealer did the install and initial tune... then it auto-tunes itself...

My dyno sheet was done just to see how well it was doing.... the tuner guy is Kyle Crandall of KMC Powersports while in Daytona last year. He said that the Bazzazz was doing its job and required no tweaking from him during the dyno runs.

Hope this helps.

Joe

motoman
07-29-2014, 04:36 PM
Doesn't seem like a huge improvement. Am I missing something? :shrug:

Westernbiker
07-30-2014, 10:08 AM
Doesn't seem like a huge improvement. Am I missing something? :shrug:

My experience with performance parts on motorcycles, is this. If you jump 3 or 4 H/P, your BUTT DYNO will not be able to tell. IMO It is not till you jump 10H/P, till you can tell the difference with your BUTT DYNO.

jlyon
07-30-2014, 11:40 AM
Totally agree on the "butt-dyno" determination....

Because I changed out the OEM intake filter for a higher flow filter, and changed the stock exhaust out (did NOT modify the cat though), I added the Bazzazz controller just to ensure that I was getting the best "burn" coming through the engine.

Just seeing a "minor" increase in HP or torque is satisfying enough, but ensuring the longevity of the entire engine through proper fuel/air mixture and burn when changing from OEM components to after-market was my goal...

However...

I am not displeased with the results !!! :)

Joe

Jimmytee
07-30-2014, 06:11 PM
I test rode a yellow F6B about three weeks ago where the dealer salesman said they had removed the cat, installed torque loops ,different exhaust, Bazzazz, and something done to the intake. I'm assuming a K&N filter. They claimed it dynoed at 130 HP. He couldn't produce the sheet on it though. All I can say is it was definitely quick. They wanted $2200 for the labor and parts. The dyno was actually done on another bike with the same set up they had done for a customer. They had repeated the same process on the one I rode. When I last spoke to him he said they were going to take the one I rode to a Dyno. I said , yes I'd wanna see the proof. I haven't bothered to call back, because I bought elsewhere due to when we sat to talk money, he was talking out his rear.:no: He had all kinds of things to say about how I couldn't beat his out the door price, he had to be smokin' crack.:yikes:

He told me to call him before I bought somewhere else. Yea right. He didn't respect me enough to present a serious price at the first go 'round, I'm not playing his game. I asked him to price me a new 2013 red and he came up 4-5 K higher than what I paid with a single phone call.

ED209
07-30-2014, 09:58 PM
If you guys really want more power and speed, you will just have to paint it RED, its the fastest color. :stirthepot:

jlyon
07-31-2014, 11:34 AM
TOTALLY agree 120CI !!!! :icon_lol:

BBB
07-31-2014, 01:35 PM
I chased Hp and torque on all my Harleys, This one I'm leaving alone. If squeezing the power lemon is your thing, then more power to you.
One of the many reasons I went F6B is how it ran out of the box without spending thousands to make it run.
Damn, am I getting old?

I'm in the same boat!
From my experience with Harley hop up,
For me, it's not even worth it to spend money
Unless you'd get 20% more in HP and TQ
I'd rather spend that money to put has in the
Tank n go riding! Lol

ED209
08-01-2014, 07:20 AM
:icon_cool: Some of you HotRodders try this:

Start out in 2nd gear with a little more throttle like on a sportbike, then immediately go wide fartin open, talk about a rush of curing the hotrod blues. :biggthumpup:

The 2nd gear will get you to almost 70mph very quickly, then quick shift 3rd and open it again, then do the same in 4th gear. :icon_mrgreen: you will be cured by top of 4th. Unless your a true high power 150mph type sportbike guy, this should cure those darn blues. Works for me and I had a 105hp/140tq 120ci Yamaha Stratoliner, Yamaha Warrior, 95ci Fatboy, Sportster, Electraglide, GS1100 and a KZ900. This F6B meets or exceeds all of those bikes in speed. This F6B feels mostly similar to my GS1100. The high powered Stratoliner would boil 3 gears and net you 70mph before you could catch traction (worthless) for street use, it needed a race slick and it may have been good for 1/8th mile drags only.

I sure would dig that "Porshe" sound .batman-smilie. , although the quiet stealth is very cool too. :yes:

RcBtx1999
08-01-2014, 07:43 AM
My two cents is probably a reflection of why the other guys did not want to comment and piss you off. Like so many other's I've been a Harley guy for the last 50 years, had a few Honda's along the way but only as Police Escort bikes, in later years and as a starter bike back in 1965. Anyway for ME.........the old HD adage, "if it's too loud, you're too old"....applies. I was really tired of all that noise, and I know the argument, "it's safer if cages can hear you coming". So, I guess I'm just too old (63). Also, I love the fact that my F6B comes very close to making those numbers you posted on the dyno without a chip tuner, or pipes. I love that I did not have to do a stage I to just get it out of the dealership and onto the road, I love that after putting almost 5K on it I'm not looking to do a stage II, because it blows every other bagger off the road as a stock bike. I really love that it really needs nothing except a windshield. My wife loves that too.:stirthepot: I'm not spending a ton of dough on it either. Since I got my F6B, all I have added is a Klockwerks windshield, a set of ergo kuryakyn hwy pegs, a belly pan, and just within the last few days the replacement caddy made by kuryakyn that takes the place of the plastic cover where the airbag goes on Goldwings and a set of Kuryakyn mini-floor boards. I removed the backrest on my Red/Black deluxe since I am a solo rider. I do like your thought on more airflow with the upgraded air filter. And YES, it's a sweet bike, for sure. :stirthepot:

XKnight
08-01-2014, 09:00 AM
Just seeing a "minor" increase in HP or torque is satisfying enough, but ensuring the longevity of the entire engine through proper fuel/air mixture and burn when changing from OEM components to after-market was my goal...

I wasn't aware that there were any issues with the motor in stock form. Plenty of folks have run this motor 200-300K miles with just regular maintenance. If it was a Harley motor I would agree about questionable longevity especially since they run too hot and too lean, but this is a liquid cooled Honda. What made you concerned about the F6 motors longevity?

jlyon
08-01-2014, 10:21 AM
To each his own I suppose, re: mods or no mods to this wonderful piece of machinery....

I was not chasing Hp / torque, nor do I have any log term longevity issues with these mods as I am well aware that these machines often have the ability to go 200~300K miles easily... I liked the look and sound of the 6-2-6 Cobras (they make the F6B sound somewhat like my 350-Z), and having modded up a bunch of Harleys before, I wanted a "clean burn" through the engine to retain the longevity it is famous for.

I suppose I could have bought two F6B's, modded one and left the other stock, ran them both for 200~300K miles and then did a complete engine teardown to report back whether the Bazzazz was needed or not...

However, I didn't / don't care to do that !!!

I was simply adding material and information to our forum as to things I had done, in case someone was interested.

If I feel the need for speed (and HP/torque to pull my hair back) I also have a Victory XC with the 116ci big bore kit installed that puts out 135HP / 135 ft/lbs to the rear wheel.... that sucker will lift and fly when I feel the need to be loud and proud... It is a fun bike to be sure...

However... my Red/Black F6B is my all time FAVORITE bike, and I've been riding for near 40 years now...

So thank you all for your comments, questions, and even concerns...

I like all of my bikes for the uniqueness each brings to the road... but I LOVE my F6B.... let there be no mistake !!! :moon:

RcBtx1999
08-01-2014, 10:53 AM
To each his own I suppose, re: mods or no mods to this wonderful piece of machinery....

I was not chasing Hp / torque, nor do I have any log term longevity issues with these mods as I am well aware that these machines often have the ability to go 200~300K miles easily... I liked the look and sound of the 6-2-6 Cobras (they make the F6B sound somewhat like my 350-Z), and having modded up a bunch of Harleys before, I wanted a "clean burn" through the engine to retain the longevity it is famous for.

I suppose I could have bought two F6B's, modded one and left the other stock, ran them both for 200~300K miles and then did a complete engine teardown to report back whether the Bazzazz was needed or not...

However, I didn't / don't care to do that !!!

I was simply adding material and information to our forum as to things I had done, in case someone was interested.

If I feel the need for speed (and HP/torque to pull my hair back) I also have a Victory XC with the 116ci big bore kit installed that puts out 135HP / 135 ft/lbs to the rear wheel.... that sucker will lift and fly when I feel the need to be loud and proud... It is a fun bike to be sure...

However... my Red/Black F6B is my all time FAVORITE bike, and I've been riding for near 40 years now...

So thank you all for your comments, questions, and even concerns...

I like all of my bikes for the uniqueness each brings to the road... but I LOVE my F6B.... let there be no mistake !!! :moon:
Sounds like you have got a bunch of bikes, good for you. The guy I sold my last Harley to was working in the oil field south of San antonio and making dough hand over fist. That purchase was his 7th Harley, he said he had always told himself if he could ever afford it, he would have one for each day of the week. Like you, my F6B is my favorite bike ever, but I'd love to have a bar hopper Harley just have for no particular reason, but I can't afford that so I am very well satisfied. Ride safe Brother!!!!!!

Bamaburt62
08-02-2017, 05:52 PM
I have done every mod that can realistically be done to the b. Torq loops, cobras, gulh ecu reflash, k&n filter along with many lets make it pretty and comfortable mods. I've got two friends with stock b's and they can't believe the difference the ecu reflash has made. Has to be experienced to see the difference. It added a grand to the rev limiter and before the reflash coming out of first the old girl wouldn't spin the tire without popping the clutch. Now you have to be careful. Don at gulh hasn't figured out how to fool the top end limiter but my Honda dealership has. I'll keep you posted on the real top end of these bikes. I've got another friend that figured out how to trick the top end limit and he swears it will top out at 145 but no concrete evidence yet.

Blk6bgg6
08-02-2017, 08:14 PM
Man I'm thinking on that ec flash.good to here this ,keep it coming we be listening ,thanks

broncsrule21
08-03-2017, 03:16 AM
i'm listening...

Colorado
08-03-2017, 03:36 PM
Can you flash the ECU and put a Bazzaz fuel controller on?

It seems like the Flash would remove some of the limits that are programmed into the ECU and the Bazzaz would control the AF ratio changes needed due to intake and exhaust system modifications.

Bamaburt62
08-05-2017, 04:20 PM
Not sure about the bazzaz. The reflash actually does a lot more than the bazzaz. I'm no engine expert but my dealer has two of the best goldwing mechanics in the world. They have installed both the bazzaz and the reflash. They talked me into the reflash because it set my bike up to give me the optimum horsepower in every gear and I wanted the rev limiter set up a grand higher.

Zteve
08-06-2017, 08:39 AM
I installed a Booster Plug for $160. It doesn't change the numbers much but it does transform the feel of the bike's power. Much more fun to drive now 'gw-smiley'

LA Weld
08-06-2017, 01:03 PM
Not sure about the bazzaz. The reflash actually does a lot more than the bazzaz. I'm no engine expert but my dealer has two of the best goldwing mechanics in the world. They have installed both the bazzaz and the reflash. They talked me into the reflash because it set my bike up to give me the optimum horsepower in every gear and I wanted the rev limiter set up a grand higher.

My question, is it safe to push it to 7 grand redline without floating the valves? :nono: Nooby to this type of engine after getting off a K bike.

broncsrule21
08-06-2017, 06:45 PM
My question, is it safe to push it to 7 grand redline without floating the valves? :nono: Nooby to this type of engine after getting off a K bike.

Even if it is safe, doubtful you are still making better power that far after factory redline.