PDA

View Full Version : Heel toe yes no?

Scotrod
10-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Who else prefers a heel-toe?

Read a little hub-bub about transmission warranty issues when heel toe units were installed, but I have my own theory on cause-effect, and I ain't skeered!

Anyway, in the process of setting my 6 up with a H/T

Less is more, and I started with the Show Chrome heel shifter. It appeared to be everything I needed, but when it got here, I found out it won't work with my Kury mini-boards.

Currently have the Kury heel toe shifter sitting on my desk. Looks like the clearance issues of the Show Chrome unit caused by my mini-boards shouldn't be an issue with the Kury.

Anyone else using a H/T?

fsixb_AZ
10-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Heel no. Had heel/toe on both my Roadstar and Venture, took them off and installed toe only. Being raised on dirt bikes just never could get used to the heel shift.

small change
10-10-2013, 08:14 PM
No not good for your transmission. I was told at my honda dealership that every gl1800 that had transmission problems most of them had heel and toe shifter

Scotrod
10-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Raised with dirt-bikes myself. Still love a H/T! =)

Some talk on other forums about H/T's being bad for tranny's. I can fully understand why they could be, at least on GL's.
Reading about what was happening to the failed tranny's, both with and without H/T's, helps a person to understand what's going on. I can fully understand why Honda wouldn't warranty the situation. I also feel the issue is avoidable, even with a H/T installed.

Read on the same forum where a member here has the exact set up I've described on his F6B.

Mustangjake
10-10-2013, 09:10 PM
I have a heel toe if u want it I will take $100 it's like new less than a thousand miles

Deer Slayer
10-10-2013, 09:32 PM
If one does not use logging clod hoppers boot you do not need heel toe shifter.

xzvs
10-11-2013, 02:34 AM
if you pair them with a running board you are gonna piss off your mechanic -- no need unless you are a spaz

Scotrod
10-11-2013, 08:05 AM
LMAO!

I am my own mechanic, and I don't wear logging clod hoppers!!

Y'all apprently haven't experienced the effortless shifting a proper H/T can provide. No worries. Those of us who have know exactly what I'm talking about.

Crazy as it sounds, the best H/T I've ran across to date was OEM on the Wifes Kawi 900 Classic. Upshifts consisted of raising only you heel about an inch, sliding you foot straight back and letting the weight of your heel shift for you.

As mentioned in post one, I have a new Kury on my desk, gonna give it a spin. (As soon as I get my seat back from RDL)

Besides, The H/T will help keep the top of my riding shoes tidy! http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524446545 437&CAWELAID=1810266641&cagpspn=pla&site_refer=GGLPRADS001

:icon_laugh:

kjelders
10-11-2013, 09:03 AM
I have the Kury heel/toe shifter along with the black mini boards. I've been using heel/toe shifters since my VTX1800 days....

F6B-RICH
10-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Raised with dirt-bikes myself. Still love a H/T! =)

Some talk on other forums about H/T's being bad for tranny's. I can fully understand why they could be, at least on GL's.
Reading about what was happening to the failed tranny's, both with and without H/T's, helps a person to understand what's going on. I can fully understand why Honda wouldn't warranty the situation. I also feel the issue is avoidable, even with a H/T installed.

Read on the same forum where a member here has the exact set up I've described on his F6B.

No clue how most guys on the other forums could use the heel/toe shifter.I look at there pictures and most guys are wearing flip-flops :icon_biggrin:

Texas TC
10-11-2013, 09:43 AM
I had H/T shifters on most of my Harley's and found the heel part of the shifter only to be good for limiting comfortable foot positioning on the floorboard. I never had much use for them. I have found I like the toe only shifting paired with my Kury mini boards quite well. I guess, like most things, it is a personal choice and decision.

Scotrod
10-11-2013, 10:09 AM
I have the Kury heel/toe shifter along with the black mini boards. I've been using heel/toe shifters since my VTX1800 days....

If you get the right set-up, an H/T is a GOOD thing!

My old Stratoliner had a 'weak attempt' at a heel shifter. Yami was limited with what they could do due to the sweeping floorboards.
I still found it easier than 'up-toe-ing'

Scotrod
10-11-2013, 10:14 AM
I had H/T shifters on most of my Harley's and found the heel part of the shifter only to be good for limiting comfortable foot positioning on the floorboard. I never had much use for them. .

Never owned an HD, but those I've ridden and/or sat on gave me the same impression as you. Heel portion was too close and too high.

They can be a hindrance if not done right.

Scotrod
10-11-2013, 10:19 AM
No clue how most guys on the other forums could use the heel/toe shifter.I look at there pictures and most guys are wearing flip-flops :icon_biggrin:

Yes, there are some real 'Road Warriors' out there!!!

Gotta admit, flip flops on a Wing might be a little bit better than the guy I saw with Croc's, shorts, and Hawaiian shirt on his 'I'm a tough guy' Big Dog chopper!! LOL! Lotta that chit here in Houston,,,

Texas TC
10-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Never owned an HD, but those I've ridden and/or sat on gave me the same impression as you. Heel portion was too close and too high.

They can be a hindrance if not done right.

The problem with Harley is getting the positioning right. One tooth up on the shaft put the heel shifter too high. One tooth down and it is sitting on the floorboard and will not shift. I just never cared for them.

I have not looked closely at the Kury setup for the Wing to see if there is a similar issue.

I do know that when I had " ghost shifting" issues with my '12 Wing, downshifting from 5 th to 4th gear on its own, the dealer told me Honda would not warranty the problem if I had installed a H/T shifter.

HogSlayer
10-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Had a heel-toe on my 02 Wing got use to it but never liked it, to many years with just a toe shifter has biased me I suppose. I should be using a Heel-Toe cause
I have a little case of shifter's toe, little arthiritus in my left big toe from repetitive motion, shifing lots of gears! I'm just gonna grin n bear it, I like using a toe shift.
I would like a little longer shifter peg, has anyone found one that will work?

Scotrod
10-11-2013, 12:19 PM
The problem with Harley is getting the positioning right. One tooth up on the shaft put the heel shifter too high. One tooth down and it is sitting on the floorboard and will not shift. I just never cared for them.

I have not looked closely at the Kury setup for the Wing to see if there is a similar issue.

I do know that when I had " ghost shifting" issues with my '12 Wing, downshifting from 5th to 4th gear on its own, the dealer told me Honda would not warranty the problem if I had installed a H/T shifter.

The Stratoliner had a similar positioning flaw, but I was able to adjust the 'shifter to trans' rod enough to allow a 1 notch 'drop' of the heel lever. Result was both H and T were low but functional / easy to use without a lot of 'dancing'

The Kury H/T has no adjustment. I have my mini-boards tilted with the leading edge lower than the trailing edge. Intent is that the H will be within easy elevation and T won't be much higher tha what I already have.

Most of my shifting 'shortcomings' are on the upshifts. (1-2 worst) Floppin my foot on top of the shifter during a downshift has always been EZ.
I must have lazy toes....

I can understand why Honda 'woudn't warranty a Trans with a H/T' (I work in the Warranty business, and it's never quite as 'clear cut and dried' as stated, but I get the meaning behind it.)

OPINION: The GL-1800 shifts smooth as butter when new. I believe there are cases where time goes by without proper care/maintenance of the shifter system. Compound that with a 'less than stellar' H/T system that's been equally neglected,,, less than 'correct' user input... Burnt/bent forks and ghost shifting wouldn't suprise me at all.

Honda made their shifter system so they pretty much have to stand behind it. If you add something that ends up having a detrimental effect on a Manufacturers Product, that damage is not covered by Warranty.

Now, if I only had a dollar for each time I've had to type that same last sentence out to a Customer,,, =)

BubbaJePH
10-11-2013, 07:28 PM
I have the heel toe shifter on my 1300R. I'm spoiled! Would want the Heel Toe on the F6B.

Scotrod
10-11-2013, 08:09 PM
I have the heel toe shifter on my 1300R. I'm spoiled! Would want the Heel Toe on the F6B.

Once you get used to one, and you like it, 'toe clickin' up through the gears seems like a lotta work! :icon_biggrin:

JesseS
10-11-2013, 08:41 PM
I had a heel/toe on my VTX/R for over 100,000 miles and loved it, it was a custom rig made by Lee's Forwards in SoCal and was raised, moved forward, and tilted just for my leg length, and was the most comfortable set of controls I have ever had. I hope the OP reports back on how well the Kury H/T shifter worked with the mini boards, I would be interested as I find the toe up shift a PIA with soft shoes on, and I hate to change into boots for a quick trip to dinner or the dealer.

BIGLRY
10-11-2013, 08:53 PM
I hate to change into boots for a quick trip to dinner or the dealer.

Ya bought a Honda....why the hell you going to the "dealer"? :iduno:
:077::icon_lol:

JesseS
10-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Ya bought a Honda....why the hell you going to the "dealer"? :iduno:
:077::icon_lol:

Good Point, let's see, new helmet, bike cover, helmet for the spouse (that one took 2 hours:banghead:) show off all the new accessories, oh yea, sold my enclosed trailer to the salesman. Anyway my point was the tennis shoes are crap for a toe shifter.

Bosman
10-11-2013, 09:29 PM
I have the Kury toe heel shifter and floor board package on my bike. It works great. I got used to the TH shifter on my VTX1800N. Once you get used to them it is hard to go back. I enjoy the bike much more with this setup.
Bob

Scotrod
10-11-2013, 10:06 PM
When I ordered the Kury H/T shifter, I thought about going 'all in' with the Kury full board/ H/T shifter package. (Or the Rivco's) As I already had the Kury mini B's, and like the 'tilt' feature, I opted for the H/T only,,, At least for now!

It may be a while before I get to test out my new set-up,,, I just sent our seats to RDL a couple days ago,,, Probably be the end of the month before they get back.

(Thought about strappin a big pillow on the bike in the meantime, but,,,,,,,,,,,,, NAH!!!!)

dickiedeals
10-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Who else prefers a heel-toe?

Read a little hub-bub about transmission warranty issues when heel toe units were installed, but I have my own theory on cause-effect, and I ain't skeered!

Anyway, in the process of setting my 6 up with a H/T

Less is more, and I started with the Show Chrome heel shifter. It appeared to be everything I needed, but when it got here, I found out it won't work with my Kury mini-boards.

Currently have the Kury heel toe shifter sitting on my desk. Looks like the clearance issues of the Show Chrome unit caused by my mini-boards shouldn't be an issue with the Kury.

Anyone else using a H/T?

I have the kury heel-toe on mine. Took a little getting used to after riding HD heel-toe for 15 years but way better than toe shift in my book anyway. I guess to each his own. Dickie

Westernbiker
10-14-2013, 11:05 AM
I have a 'Rattlebars' (they are no longer around) heel toe shifter on my Valkyrie and love it. I have not put one on the F6B and not sure If I will or not. A different riding position on each bike and the toe shifting of the F6B seems to be ok, the Valk was harder to shift because of riding position so the heel toe shifter was a must.

Scotrod
10-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Finally installed the heel toe, Got it on and decided I might prefer just the heel part, so I pulled the 'toe' peg off and plan on using the 1 inch 'nub' to down shift so I don't have to raise my toes as high. (I'm a lazy shifter, LOL!!!) I may put the toes peg back on, dunno yet,,

Mini boards are tilted forward slightly, and I still have room enough to 'hook' a size 12 heel over the back of the board w/o hitting the heel shifter.

NO ROAD TESTING DONE as I have no seat! (LOL!) :icon_frown:

Kick stand is somewhat between the heal shifter and board when raised. Not impossible to lower by any means, but one might want to watch what they were doing vs blindly stompin down 'in the general vicinity'.

Mustangjake
10-20-2013, 07:55 PM
U moved the pegs out and down, u will be Scraping pegs a lot earlier in the turn !
Not saying u don't know this just saying in case u had not Thought of it.
I took mine off because the wife freaks every time this happens !

Scotrod
10-20-2013, 08:18 PM
Out for sure, never checked down.
I never have scraped the mini boards before. (my toes, yes, boards no)
I always ride solo, and I'm a pretty mellow rider. (A lot of me is lazy, not just my toes!) :icon_biggrin:
If scrapin becomes a problem, I might consider 'standard' adapters for the boards ISO the drop mounts. (Kury 8808, I believe)
Really need to wait until my seat arrives before I can fine tune the rest of the bike

1951vbs
10-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Finally installed the heel toe, Got it on and decided I might prefer just the heel part, so I pulled the 'toe' peg off and plan on using the 1 inch 'nub' to down shift so I don't have to raise my toes as high. (I'm a lazy shifter, LOL!!!) I may put the toes peg back on, dunno yet,,

Mini boards are tilted forward slightly, and I still have room enough to 'hook' a size 12 heel over the back of the board w/o hitting the heel shifter.

NO ROAD TESTING DONE as I have no seat! (LOL!) :icon_frown:

Kick stand is somewhat between the heal shifter and board when raised. Not impossible to lower by any means, but one might want to watch what they were doing vs blindly stompin down 'in the general vicinity'.

Scotrod, When you hang your heel over the back of the mini board don't you hit the kickstand? This seems to happen to me all the time. I wonder if you move it far enough if the kickstand safety switch would cause the engine to kill.

Scotrod
10-20-2013, 09:05 PM
Scotrod, When you hang your heel over the back of the mini board don't you hit the kickstand? This seems to happen to me all the time. I wonder if you move it far enough if the kickstand safety switch would cause the engine to kill.

Unknown if the recent change in board position would allow my heel to contact the k-stand.

I do have the mini boards tilted down in the front and the heel depth of my riding boots (Timberland work boots) is only about 1/2 inch tall. Has not been an issue before, but will find out (hopefully soon) if it has become an issue with the latest change. Thanks for the 'heads up'!

Yeahoo Whoyah
10-20-2013, 11:19 PM
Not for me. However, each rider should choose what they want.

Scotrod
10-21-2013, 08:15 AM
I myself 'didn't like' H/T's before, but once you have one ya like, eh, it's kinda like the 'can't live without cruise' debate. I can live w/o H/T, but I'd prefer to have one that was easy to use/functional.
I've never had any issues downshifting with the toe, but there have been occaisions where, for probably a couple reasons, I didn't get a 100% completer 'stroke/return' on my upshift. Made the shift, but not to 100 full detent.
Dang lazy toes! LOL!

Scotrod
11-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Meh,,,,

The Kury had great upshift-ability. :yes: It did move the left board out about an 1 1/2, which kind of became a shin scraper on occaision at stoplights. Also have to look at the K-stand when deploying to keep from accidently kicking into 2nd.

Wasn't really happy with the Kury 'toe' being as high as it was, so I was running'sans toe' with just the black plastic 'nub', which,,, when the board is 1 1/2 further away from the bike,,, eh,, really had to aim my foot inward to find it. :icon_frown:

Never could devise a 'nub extended',,, Swapped out the Kury back to a Show Chrome unit I modded to miss the mini-board. yeah, it missed the mini, but it would hit the k stand on every upshift. Kind of a cheap made unit as well when compared to the Kury,,, so,,, took it off,,,

I'm back where I started,,, :icon_rolleyes:

Mustangjake
11-11-2013, 07:52 PM
I am with you brother :banghead:
I was at the Honda dealer they where saying most the Goldwings with trany problems
Had the heel toe. I think it's like you said you get complacent with Heel toe,
I can't put anything on that extends my foot out, my boot is always dragging the ground now. I didn't even have mini boards and the kick stand has a pain.

Big Dawg
11-15-2013, 11:14 AM
Toe only for me, I do not like the boards at all for my riding style. Also for shorter riders, they can create additional problems with reaching the ground and keeping their feet straight down while stopped.

JesseS
11-15-2013, 08:25 PM
Put the Kury H/T shifter on with the mini boards, allowed me to tilt the boards up one notch as I was dragging them a lot, still drag a little (I corner aggressively) but not often and the angel allows for a smooth 'scrapping' with no 'kick' back. Love them so far, not as nice as the custom ones on my VTX but close.

Mustangjake
11-15-2013, 08:58 PM
I guess I drive to hard. I has always dragging the peg with the just the heel toe shifter no drop boards. I very seldom drag the left with out it but I am always dragging the right one my boot shows the wear.