PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Weekend motorcycle vacation ended before it really gets started

choptop
05-27-2017, 10:04 PM
Road today with about 7 friends to Wisconsin Dells Wisconsin to spend the next couple days riding the beautiful countryside.
After checking into the motel, Road up to the local gas station to buy some Necessities for the evening.
When I came back I notice if someone had taken my parking space so I had to go around them and make it tight turn into the next parking space. Embarrassed to say but I turned a little bit too tight and kind of Jack knifed the front and it went down on the right side. My aero pegs were extended and it landed on the aero Peg and rip the bolts almost all the way out of the head and it immediately started losing oil out from underneath the head.
Adjuster has been called and the bike is getting towed 170 miles back home tomorrow and my vacation will be over. LOL will have to wait till early next week till an adjuster comes out and looks at it before I take it to a shop.
How bad do you think I screwed things up?

ths61
05-27-2017, 10:35 PM
Drive out to Burlington and give Rivco the bill for the damage the Aero pegs did to your bike.

These pegs are a bad design and you are not the first customer to get bit by them.

bob109
05-27-2017, 11:21 PM
Drive out to Burlington and give Rivco the bill for the damage the Aero pegs did to your bike.

These pegs are a bad design and you are not the first customer to get bit by them.

Shortly after introduction some else had the identical problem. The persons bike fell to its left side while stopped. The pegs were extended and the impact ripped the mounting thread bosses from the head causing a oil leak. They posted a picture of the damage and shortly thereafter the entire "post/thread" of the incident disappeared:shock: Newer versions of the pegs are supposedly designed with a "notch" machined into the foot lever as a means for the lever to "snap off" in the event of a "fall over".:shhh:

choptop
05-28-2017, 05:17 AM
Thank you. Anyone know whether head is salvageable?

wjduke
05-28-2017, 06:59 AM
Damn, I'm here bitching about bad weather. Sorry to hear that.

willtill
05-28-2017, 07:51 AM
Thank you. Anyone know whether head is salvageable?

I don't think your head is ruined. The valve cover just needs to be replaced,

53driver
05-28-2017, 08:40 AM
So sorry to hear that!

As a fellow Aeropeg user, it seems that every time I stopped someplace, someone with a GL1800 of some variety had a story to tell about their Aeropeg drama.
"Most" of the time, it was "only" the valve cover, but a few times, some people stated that they really screwed things up.
Hopefully yours is the former.

Best of luck and please keep us posted.
Steve

ths61
05-28-2017, 01:01 PM
I requested that Revco make just the blacked out (and/or chrome) cover plates as an additional product line for those that want to black out their bikes.
No pegs, just a blacked out cosmetic plate.
They had no interest, nor selling a set of plates before they were milled to accept the pegs.

jm21ddd15
05-28-2017, 02:43 PM
Sorry to hear about your mis-hap. Glad you didn't get hurt. Too bad about the bike,
because it's a beautiful weekend for riding, here in Wi. We don't get many like this! Maybe have it towed right to the dealer.

BuzzzPhotos
05-28-2017, 04:17 PM
Yep, I grabbed my bike for balance while putting on rubber boots to go feed the horses. Quite embarrassed to knock it over & it landing on the aero peg. It's like $380.00 for the valve cover & $120.00 for the dealer to put it on. I'm now careful to put my peg in every time I stop. Kept the same pegs on it. It is one of those sick feelings to knock it over & see oil leaking.

RuneRider66
05-29-2017, 03:44 AM
Aeropeg user also. 60k miles on the Rune with Aeropegs and 5k on the F6B with the Aeropegs. No problems or issues. I am sorry to hear about your incident. Hopefully you will get the bike repaired soon and get some good riding in.
Let us know how it turns out. I will be more careful with mine now.

choptop
05-29-2017, 08:16 AM
Got the 6 trailered home this morning, will call insurance tomorrow to see who adjuster is and when they will get out and look at it, hope it is just the valve cover, did not totally fall:yikes:, had hold on it when it went over.

willtill
05-29-2017, 08:49 AM
I got absolutely soaked yesterday during the ride home from Rolling Thunder... luckily my leather vest has become half dry.... me and the old lady are getting ready to go the the Crownsville Veterans Cemetery for a ceremony. Then on the the ALR Post 7 for a nice lunch.

:icon_smflag:

My bike had it's first real "hose batch" early this morning... can't believe the amount of road grime that was all over it. The silver matte finish sure is easy to clean though... first bike I ever had that I don' have to fret over; if it rains. :yes:

choptop
05-30-2017, 07:12 AM
Just for shits & giggles I left a message on Rivco's website last night detailing what had happened to see if I get any kind of response back, their is a lack of customer service out their and it would be nice to at least get some type of response and renew my faith in what ever.

bob109
05-30-2017, 08:28 AM
Just for shits & giggles I left a message on Rivco's website last night detailing what had happened to see if I get any kind of response back, their is a lack of customer service out their and it would be nice to at least get some type of response and renew my faith in what ever.

Don't hold your breath:icon_frown:

choptop
05-30-2017, 08:38 AM
Don't hold your breath:icon_frown:

Well much to my surprise I got a response about 15 minutes ago asking for pictures, I sent them 3. We shall see where it goes from here.

bob109
05-30-2017, 08:49 AM
Well much to my surprise I got a response about 15 minutes ago asking for pictures, I sent them 3. We shall see where it goes from here.

I truly hope you are successful and get some type of relief!

Regards

bob109

choptop
05-30-2017, 09:56 AM
Called local Honda steelership and was quoted appx $1,300.00 for right side valve cover, gasket and labor. Seems like a person w/some skills concerning wrenching should be able to do this.

53driver
05-30-2017, 10:04 AM
... It's like $380.00 for the valve cover & $120.00 for the dealer to put it on...

Called local Honda steelership and was quoted appx $1,300.00 for right side valve cover, gasket and labor. Seems like a person w/some skills concerning wrenching should be able to do this.

Quite the 'delta.'
Damn.

Steve

willtill
05-30-2017, 10:24 AM

F&CK That! :shock: Order the parts and do it yourself...

choptop
05-30-2017, 12:18 PM
F&CK That! :shock: Order the parts and do it yourself...

"The pegs were extended and the impact ripped the mounting thread bosses from the head causing a oil leak." posted by Bob109. I have a $500.00 deductible, my concern is that it could be more than just a valve cover that I might not notice if I replaced the cover myself and I know I could do it.
When things like this happen, you don't remember things, I don't remember shutting the engine off, did I wait till it was righted and went that 5 ft to the parking spot or what. W/fresh Mobil 1 synthetic, it should have been ok, but I don't know, I'm not a trained motorcycle mechanic. I am going to spend $500.00 either way, the insurance company can pay for a professional to make it right.

53driver
05-30-2017, 12:26 PM
"The pegs were extended and the impact ripped the mounting thread bosses from the head causing a oil leak." posted by Bob109. I have a $500.00 deductible, my concern is that it could be more than just a valve cover that I might not notice if I replaced the cover myself and I know I could do it.
When things like this happen, you don't remember things, I don't remember shutting the engine off, did I wait till it was righted and went that 5 ft to the parking spot or what. W/fresh Mobil 1 synthetic, it should have been ok, but I don't know, I'm not a trained motorcycle mechanic. I am going to spend $500.00 either way, the insurance company can pay for a professional to make it right.

And the bottom line is you have to do what makes you comfortable and gives you peace of mind for the long haul.
No worries.

Cheers,
Steve

bob109
05-30-2017, 04:23 PM

Partzilla is your friend! Cylinder Head Cover $235.64......Head Cover Gasket $16.62......Lower Cover $123.68........$375.94 Parts Total

If it's only the Head Cover this is not a complex repair IMHO:icon_wink:

See Attached

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2013/GL1800B+2AC/CYLINDER+HEAD+COVER/parts.html

BIGLRY
05-30-2017, 04:26 PM
Partzilla is your friend! Cylinder Head Cover $235.64......Head Cover Gasket $16.62......Lower Cover $123.68

See Attached

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2013/GL1800B+2AC/CYLINDER+HEAD+COVER/parts.htmlYep and it really is an easy job to change them out.

choptop
05-30-2017, 07:13 PM
I have no doubt that I could do it and I have the time but not the inclination. Basically 400.00 for parts, to my door plus oil change and my time, lets call it 500.00. I also have a scratch on the top of the bag and their is the reimbursement to someone for hauling the bike to my house on Memorial weekend. I also have a buggered up Rivco peg and not to mention that I am not a mechanic and what if there is a problem w/the head or something else... I have to pay the $500.00 deductible; I want to get it done right and everything fixed and everybody paid for their services.
Would be a different story if it was a $1,000.00 deductible, I would do it myself.

Old Ryder
05-31-2017, 08:38 AM
The day I got my B, the owner of the dealership told me he also rode a B and he gave me the story about a lady tipping his over while fueling it at a gas station. She clipped the back of the bike and it fell over and his Rivco pegs were down. Ever since then, I make it a point to retract them every time I take my feet off.

After all of that however, when I was changing the rear tire, I broke the driver peg mount laying it over on it's side----and I did that one on purpose.

Moral of the story, anytime a 800+ lb bike goes on it's side, very little good comes from it. Then I think back to my early crashes on my XL 125 and CB 350 back in the 70's. I got up after going down at 50+ MPH---bent the bars back straight---kick started it and rode it back home. Motorcycles sure have changed.

willtill
05-31-2017, 09:04 AM

You can at LEAST take the valve cover off and look. If the bosses in the head are fine... you are golden and you'll save much money. Think how much beer you could buy; with the difference...

choptop
05-31-2017, 10:34 AM
You can at LEAST take the valve cover off and look. If the bosses in the head are fine... you are golden and you'll save much money. Think how much beer you could buy; with the difference...

Not saving a cent by doing it myself, still cost me roughly 500.00 and my time. I took it to the steelership this morning.

willtill
05-31-2017, 11:58 AM
Not saving a cent by doing it myself, still cost me roughly 500.00 and my time. I took it to the steelership this morning.

Hope they don't damage anything else on the bike... your experience may vary. I'd rather have a sucking chest wound than take my bike into the dealers around here.... :icon_rolleyes:

Good luck :icon_wink:

choptop
05-31-2017, 12:40 PM
Hope they don't damage anything else on the bike... your experience may vary. I'd rather have a sucking chest wound than take my bike into the dealers around here.... :icon_rolleyes:

Good luck :icon_wink:

I have had my bike their before, brake recall, replace fork seals, they did ok. Got a return text from Rivco concerning my experience w/the pegs, they will sell me a pair of the "pegs" that pull out, $70.00.

edgeman55
06-01-2017, 03:01 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident.This is why I did not like the Rivco pegs.If this had happened without them you might have scratched the engine guard as these bikes flop over pretty well protected.Plus I believe when they go over to the side like that the engine cuts out from a angle sensor type switch.Heck you walked away from it so alls not that bad:yes:

willtill
06-01-2017, 03:08 PM
Has anyone; or does anyone know; of any issues with the Kuryakyn Ergo III's causing damage to the valve covers, if the bike falls over?

Jimmytee
06-01-2017, 05:40 PM
Has anyone; or does anyone know; of any issues with the Kuryakyn Ergo III's causing damage to the valve covers, if the bike falls over?

Well, I forgot my kickstand wasn't down, was distracted and the bike went over before I could catch her. She went down soft though as I had a hand on her. Just couldn't completely stop the momentum. The Ergo IIIs were fine. Of course they don't attach to the valve covers. I can tell you I've dragged the mounts in the corners last year. Only damage was to the mount where I ground them on the pavement.

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s667/Jimmytee68/grinding_zps1ucftkvq.jpg

Old Ryder
06-02-2017, 10:00 AM

My kickstand was not all the way down and I laid it over softly while pulling as hard as I could and screaming all the while. The Kury rolled over on the mount and made a slight dent into the valve cover. You have to look real hard. I do not even classify that as an accident.

BTW---I understand what Chop is saying. It is going to cost him $500 either way whether it is insurance deductible or parts. May as well get everything fixed and let somebody else do the sweating.

choptop
06-02-2017, 11:55 AM
My kickstand was not all the way down and I laid it over softly while pulling as hard as I could and screaming all the while. The Kury rolled over on the mount and made a slight dent into the valve cover. You have to look real hard. I do not even classify that as an accident.

BTW---I understand what Chop is saying. It is going to cost him $500 either way whether it is insurance deductible or parts. May as well get everything fixed and let somebody else do the sweating.

Thanks Old Ryder !!

choptop
06-11-2017, 08:07 AM
6 has been in the shop since the Memorial weekend incident, finally got my estimate from the dealer last Wednesday, turned it in and am waiting on the adjuster. My estimate ended up being a bit over 2,599.99 which included the right exhaust and a new right side saddlebag lid.25623 Enclosed is a pic of the new Rivco pegs complete w/nub for your boot to catch for opening and a cut out so they might break off before they did the damage they did to my valve cover. $70.00 pair
Scheduled to be worked on this coming Friday if the adjuster gets off her ass.

choptop
06-11-2017, 08:09 AM

seventwenty
06-11-2017, 01:51 PM
$70/ pair? Where can you get them for that? I assume that's just the flip out but didn't know you could order just that part.

choptop
06-11-2017, 03:59 PM
$70/ pair? Where can you get them for that? I assume that's just the flip out but didn't know you could order just that part.
Yes it is just the flip out part, come in a pair for $70.00, the little nub to open and close w/the shoe and the cut out to possible eliminate damage if you fall on them is kinda nice, Not on the website, need to call and ask for it.

Cant get pics to load on our site.25626

53driver
06-11-2017, 05:49 PM
$70/pr.
I'll be getting those.
Thanks mate!

choptop
06-18-2017, 01:54 PM
Well we all no that on may 27th I dropped the 6, damaging my right side valve cover when the open euro peg hit the pavement. Got towed back, got the bike in the shop on Wednesday the 31st, were busy and could not look at it till the following Tuesday the 6th of June. Picked up my estimate and dropped them off to my American Family agent on Wednesday the 7th, along w/the other pertinent paperwork to be sent to my adjuster. Waited a day or so and called the lady adjuster on Friday the 8th, surprise, not in, left message. Called adjuster lady early after noon on Monday the 12th, and of course I was on her list of people to call, ya right, told me she was going to have to have an agent look at it, would call one after getting off the phone w/me, should just take a couple of days and then he could write a check and then they could get working on it. I checked w/dealer, wed, thur, and Friday and no one was out and no call from the adjuster lady, she has yet called me concerning this incident.
I called my local American Family agent, the people who are 3 miles from me and who I have dealt w/over the past 18 years and told them how unhappy I was. We will see what happens. But before the day is done I will call the adjuster:nono: lady and give her a piece of my mind.

Sorcerer
06-18-2017, 04:16 PM
Don't feel like your the odd man out ChopTop. I played the same game after my crash last year. Keep after them.

choptop
06-18-2017, 05:18 PM
Don't feel like your the odd man out ChopTop. I played the same game after my crash last year. Keep after them.

Thanks, and I will !

tiltingf6b
06-18-2017, 07:28 PM
The day I got my B, the owner of the dealership told me he also rode a B and he gave me the story about a lady tipping his over while fueling it at a gas station. She clipped the back of the bike and it fell over and his Rivco pegs were down. Ever since then, I make it a point to retract them every time I take my feet off.

After all of that however, when I was changing the rear tire, I broke the driver peg mount laying it over on it's side----and I did that one on purpose.

Moral of the story, anytime a 800+ lb bike goes on it's side, very little good comes from it. Then I think back to my early crashes on my XL 125 and CB 350 back in the 70's. I got up after going down at 50+ MPH---bent the bars back straight---kick started it and rode it back home. Motorcycles sure have changed.

Not to mention you can snap the head off a bolt holding a peg on during removal:yikes:.

choptop
06-19-2017, 01:53 PM
Got a call from the adjuster lady this a.m. Seems she supposedly assigned an person to look at the bike but some how it got sent to the Catastrophe Division, we had some storms here 2 weeks ago, don't ask me how, but that is were it has been sitting.

F6Dave
06-19-2017, 08:38 PM
I bought the Aero pegs because they looked great. But I've never felt comfortable using them. Having the valve cover and head hold the weight of your feet and legs doesn't seem like a good idea. So I rarely use them, and when I do it's on a long ride and only for a few minutes to change riding position. After that I close them immediately.

Now that I've read these horror stories I'll probably use them even less!

choptop
06-20-2017, 01:31 PM
Another agent called this a.m. and told me they were not going to go out and look at it, just cut a check less my deductible and the facility ordered the parts last week so I should have a bike for the party! woo hoo:yes:

F6Dave
06-21-2017, 07:55 AM
Another agent called this a.m. and told me they were not going to go out and look at it, just cut a check less my deductible and the facility ordered the parts last week so I should have a bike for the party! woo hoo:yes:

That makes sense. It costs them time and mileage to send an adjuster out. If your claim was only costing them $800, there may not have been much financial upside to verify the damage. My agent told me for claims under a certain dollar amount they never send an adjuster, unless you have a suspicious claims history.

choptop
06-21-2017, 01:32 PM
That makes sense. It costs them time and mileage to send an adjuster out. If your claim was only costing them $800, there may not have been much financial upside to verify the damage. My agent told me for claims under a certain dollar amount they never send an adjuster, unless you have a suspicious claims history.

Claim cost them a little over $2,000., only reason they did not send an adjuster was because they screwed up and made me mad by taking so long.

F6Dave
06-22-2017, 04:04 PM
Claim cost them a little over $2,000., only reason they did not send an adjuster was because they screwed up and made me mad by taking so long.

I missed that post. I read the earlier one where you said the valve cover would cost $1,300. $2K is definitely adjuster territory, but doesn't sound too bad since it includes the exhaust and saddlebag lid.

I'm curious about the saddlebag lid. Does it come painted to match your F6B? Or does the dealer have to get that done?

choptop
06-25-2017, 12:56 PM
I missed that post. I read the earlier one where you said the valve cover would cost $1,300. $2K is definitely adjuster territory, but doesn't sound too bad since it includes the exhaust and saddlebag lid.

I'm curious about the saddlebag lid. Does it come painted to match your F6B? Or does the dealer have to get that done?

Supposedly pre painted or they could have fixed the existing one.

choptop
06-25-2017, 12:58 PM
Well, no bike for the party, will get it back next Thursday, just in time to go to Algonia :yikes:!!

jm21ddd15
06-25-2017, 04:08 PM
Hey Chop, sure sounds like you got the good ole run-around! Sorry you had to deal with that kinda crap. I would have chimed in earlier, but was out west on a 15 day ride. Great time, 5330 miles. Only the weather was my enemy. Had rain, hail, sleet, snow high winds, and cool temps, on 9 of my days. Beartooth mtn Pass was a total white-out. I should have turned around, but...., made it, to Cody.
Well, you get the 6 all fixed and we'll go riding together!

choptop
06-26-2017, 07:35 AM
Hey Chop, sure sounds like you got the good ole run-around! Sorry you had to deal with that kinda crap. I would have chimed in earlier, but was out west on a 15 day ride. Great time, 5330 miles. Only the weather was my enemy. Had rain, hail, sleet, snow high winds, and cool temps, on 9 of my days. Beartooth mtn Pass was a total white-out. I should have turned around, but...., made it, to Cody.
Well, you get the 6 all fixed and we'll go riding together!

Glad to hear you had a good:yikes:time. Get it back Thursday and leave Friday for Algona Iowa, nice to have you back, safe and sound !

jm21ddd15
06-26-2017, 03:04 PM
What's happening in Algonia?

choptop
06-26-2017, 06:39 PM
What's happening in Algonia?

Abate of Iowa Rally, this Thursday, Friday and Saturday, a lot of bands and nekedness. www.abateiowafreedomrally.com

BuzzzPhotos
06-26-2017, 10:02 PM
Hard to believe but I did it again. Left my Aero Peg out. Went in to the courthouse to get my registration renewed & came out to my bike knocked over & a huge oil spot. This happened last Thursday & I filed the claim on the app while I was waiting for my wife to bring the trailer. Also called the dealer & told him I was on my way. The insurance adjuster called while is was driving off. I pick up the bike tomorrow. Should also have the new version of Aero Pegs tomorrow. Got some great service from my dealer & insurance company. $250.00 Deductible.
Also tomorrow is my riding anniversary. 50 years.

willtill
06-27-2017, 07:22 AM
Hard to believe but I did it again. Left my Aero Peg out. Went in to the courthouse to get my registration renewed & came out to my bike knocked over & a huge oil spot. This happened last Thursday & I filed the claim on the app while I was waiting for my wife to bring the trailer. Also called the dealer & told him I was on my way. The insurance adjuster called while is was driving off. I pick up the bike tomorrow. Should also have the new version of Aero Pegs tomorrow. Got some great service from my dealer & insurance company. $250.00 Deductible.

Geez :icon_doh:

choptop
06-27-2017, 10:42 AM

Good for you:icon_biggrin:, while I wait a month to get mine back...:jerkit:

choptop
06-30-2017, 07:04 AM
Called the dealer yesterday to ask when the 6 might be done so that I could set up a ride, service person said , anytime, it's done. I wanted to say "when were you going to call me" but what's the point. Felt good to ride her home, bike and trailer loaded and ready to go to Algona Io.

53driver
06-30-2017, 07:11 AM
Called the dealer yesterday to ask when the 6 might be done so that I could set up a ride, service person said , anytime, it's done. I wanted to say "when were you going to call me" but what's the point. Felt good to ride her home, bike and trailer loaded and ready to go to Algona Io.

Just wow. Check the mileage, maybe they "enjoyed" having it around.....
Have fun at Algona - keep the camera discrete.
Cheers,
Steve

choptop
07-02-2017, 08:28 PM
Algona was fun, 95% of the woman :icon_frown:should have kept their clothes on and if you have a small wiener...:yikes:
And I came home to a "not so happy " S.O., seems I am a sicko and didn't give her enough notice of my sick endeavor, figure a couple of days of "quiet" is not such a bad thing.:icon_biggrin::shhh:

Sorcerer
07-02-2017, 10:08 PM
Oops. Should have invited the SO along?