PDA

View Full Version : No "Typical" Wing issues with the F6B

Texas TC
10-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Having owned two Wings prior to purchasing the F6B, I cannot help but notice the lack of issues on this new model compared to the big Wing. To this point, 10,500 miles, I have not had a hint of the dreaded front end wobble. There has been no ghost shifts, shifting from 5th to 4th without driver interface. Front and rear tires still have many more miles of use before they are in need of replacing. I suppose the weight and balance could be the remedy of these typical Wing issues but I am extremely pleased no matter why the F6B is a better platform.

The only problem the new model seems to share with big brother is the cold engine hesitation. I can live with this by giving up the other issues I experienced on previous Wings.

The F6B continues to be the best motorcycle I have owned in my 50 years of riding. It is just a pure joy to ride.

kjelders
10-11-2013, 11:14 AM
I only have 5,000 on mine at the moment. However, in the short time I have owned it, it is by far the best bike I have ever owned.

motozeke
10-11-2013, 11:57 AM
I only have 5,000 on mine at the moment. However, in the short time I have owned it, it is by far the best bike I have ever owned.

Wow, these ringing endorsements are really encouraging. I'm really excited about this bike, looking forward to a test ride after my surgery.

kjelders
10-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Just like any new bike, once you add some items to make it fit you, custom seat, risers, windshield, etc. ... I have really enjoyed the bike. Last weekend I went with 11 other "wingers" on a 3 day 1,000 mile trip. The handling in the twisties was fantastic. I know the lack of tour pack only accounts for a minimal amount of weight difference from the "full wing". However, it makes the center of gravity even lower with the stock lower seating position. This one for me is a keeper!

Scotrod
10-11-2013, 02:58 PM
I'd say how my luck is going but I don't want to Jinx myself! { :yes: }

CruiserCustomizing
10-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Wonder if the front end wobble on your Goldwing was a result of the front tire being out of balance, under inflated, or tire design. I had a similar issue with low speed wobble when my I ran Metzeler's. After switching back to Bridgestone's the wobble disappeared. A loose steering stem can also cause front end wobble. Shifting issues could have been related to shimming during assembly.

Texas TC
10-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Wonder if the front end wobble on your Goldwing was a result of the front tire being out of balance, under inflated, or tire design. I had a similar issue with low speed wobble when my I ran Metzeler's. After switching back to Bridgestone's the wobble disappeared. A loose steering stem can also cause front end wobble. Shifting issues could have been related to shimming during assembly.
I had both issues on two different Wings, 2008 and 2012 models.

The front tire on the 2008 was a Dunlop. The '12 had the stock Bridgestone. I have always run 40# air pressure in my Wing front, and rear for that matter, tires.

There are also many threads about ghost shifting. Both seem to be common issues on full sized Wings. They certainly were issues on the two I owned and I am more than pleased those problems did not carry over to the F6B.

motoman
04-30-2014, 01:36 AM
40 lbs front pressure is high. Try 36 lbs.

bob109
04-30-2014, 03:34 AM
40 lbs front pressure is high. Try 36 lbs.

If you run the recommended 36 psi in your owners manual, you will develop almost immediate "tire cupping"! What at first appears high, the 40 psi is the correct tire pressure for the 6. I have almost 16k miles on my original stone without any signs of cupping and expect to get approximately 20/21k miles wear from this tire. I run 40 psi. If you do a search of recommended front TP by 6 riders you'll find a vast majority have disregarded the "recommended 36 psi" and run 40psi:icon_wink:

F6B-RICH
04-30-2014, 07:22 AM
+1 :yes: 40 front / 40 rear .batman-smilie.

Scotrod
04-30-2014, 08:08 AM
38/40
:stirthepot:

Westernbiker
04-30-2014, 09:07 AM
40/40 :icon_mrgreen:

Razco53
04-30-2014, 05:46 PM
40R 42F = 22k before new rubber on my 95 Wing. I will try 40/40 on my F6B.

Steve 0080
04-30-2014, 11:23 PM
+1…very good bike …..

Fla_rider
05-01-2014, 05:54 AM
1400 miles and 1 month on the F6B, nothing but great times. Lots of thumbs up from Harley riders. Increasing front tire pressure from 36 to 40, thanks guys!

fxdl2051
07-11-2014, 10:56 PM
Noticed the front tire would wander and push a bit slowing down at lights with a lower pressure. Running at 40 psi front cleared this up and seemed to make the handling even better in the twisties.

Deer Slayer
07-12-2014, 12:15 AM
16,000 mi no wobble or any other problems. That is why I RIDE RED! :cheers:

smokinjoe187
07-12-2014, 03:23 AM
16,000 mi no wobble or any other problems. That is why I RIDE RED! :cheers:

22k.......still burning gas and smirking all the dam way!!!!!!!!!!!

XKnight
07-12-2014, 10:46 AM
Only have about 1500 miles on my F6 after getting it a few weeks ago and all I can say is that it puts a huge smile on my face every time I ride it. Trouble free so far other than the right saddlebag not opening properly anymore. Will have the dealer fix that under warranty when I go in for my 4K mile service or sooner if I plan a trip where I actually need both saddlebags filled up.

opas ride
07-12-2014, 03:01 PM
Check the seat bolts..If they are to tight it will cause the saddlebag not to work right...Loosen them a bit, try the bag lever and make sure it works right, then re-tighten the bolts a little and it should cure the issue...If not the cable may have come loose and the dealer can fix it without much issue..I had my bike custom painted and it took a few times to get the bags working after they were off the bike, but now they are fine......

Wild Bill
07-12-2014, 05:49 PM
40 lbs front pressure is high. Try 36 lbs. I allways run 40.Tire started to show sum cupping and slit bar shake.Checked pressure and it had droped to 36.Air up to 40.Took it to NC mountains,tire is smooth with no sines of cupping and still riden on it with 17k miles on it.

XKnight
07-13-2014, 02:37 PM
Check the seat bolts..If they are to tight it will cause the saddlebag not to work right...Loosen them a bit, try the bag lever and make sure it works right, then re-tighten the bolts a little and it should cure the issue...If not the cable may have come loose and the dealer can fix it without much issue..I had my bike custom painted and it took a few times to get the bags working after they were off the bike, but now they are fine......

Thanks for the tip. I'm waiting on a Mustang seat to arrive so will see if the saddlebag works right after I install the new seat.

opas ride
07-13-2014, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'm waiting on a Mustang seat to arrive so will see if the saddlebag works right after I install the new seat.
I am also waiting for my Mustang seat to arrive at my dealer..Ordered the thing on June 12 and still not here...Had bike at dealer while I was on vacation out West to visit family and needed some minor touch-up paint work done so left it there hoping that the seat would arrive while I was gone.....No luck and so far.Had the dealer call Mustang and they said maybe two or three weeks yet....High demand for this seat apparently......

XKnight
07-13-2014, 06:24 PM
I am also waiting for my Mustang seat to arrive at my dealer..Ordered the thing on June 12 and still not here...Had bike at dealer while I was on vacation out West to visit family and needed some minor touch-up paint work done so left it there hoping that the seat would arrive while I was gone.....No luck and so far.Had the dealer call Mustang and they said maybe two or three weeks yet....High demand for this seat apparently......

Same here! I ordered the Mustang seat about 2 weeks ago and was told there was a 4+ week backlog from the factory. The place I ordered from said they already had some backordered and that I would get mine in less time, but no shipping notice yet. I too am visiting family out west so can't ride the F6 for a few weeks anyway. I just hope the seat is delivered when I get home.

Stick
07-13-2014, 08:30 PM
1200 on mine now. Best bike I ever owned. A joy to ride!!!