PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle insurance

BillyDee
05-31-2017, 01:53 PM
57 years old, riding a 2016 Deluxe with about 20 years on two wheels. Using Markel Insurance Company, about $758.00 per year with a $375.00 deductible, 100/300 Liability blah blah blah. Four payments per year

Just got the bill today and thought it was kind of high, called my insurance rep that I use for house and cars. The rep gave me two quotes, Progressive and some other but both were over $950.00 for a single payment plan. $500 deductible.

Made a claim two years ago with Markel after I side swiped my brothers Mercedes, (long story)...Service was good.

Might be worth a call, Markel Tel: 800-236-2453.

I have no affiliation with any insurance company or would I want too...

Redlinez
05-31-2017, 02:50 PM
So far, no one has come close to State Farm. We've been with them 23 years plus my wife's time before marriage (6 years)

opas ride
05-31-2017, 03:57 PM
All insurance companies just plain"suck"!!!..Rates are out of control in most states and here in Michigan we are forced to pay into the biggest "BS" scam called catastrophic coverage that raises rates over 40%...This stupid fund now has over $18 billion dollars in it and no one in our capital knows how to use the money!!!...Our roads are some of the worst in the nation and the "asshole" law makers sit in Lansing and scratch their balls with no clue how to use this money....I do find although, that State Farm is fairly competitive in this area and I have been with them for almost 40 years....Ride safe

Jimmytee
05-31-2017, 04:11 PM
Hard to compare insurance from one place to the next. Location makes a big difference. I pay like $500 per year for full coverage on 2 bikes. $500 deductible with no deductible on accessories and clothing. I don't recall all the specifics. I previously had Progressive and when I bought the F6B they tried to clown me on a rate. I got both of my bikes with the same coverage for less than I was originally paying with Progressive when I called Geico. Been with them now since. That was just about 3 years ago.

valkmc
05-31-2017, 10:30 PM
Just renewed with Progressive $316 for the year. Surprised it did not go up after my tangle with the pallet which caused a little over 5k in damage. They were great taking care of the problem.

ths61
05-31-2017, 11:24 PM
Progressive charges me $500/year with a $1,000 deductible for a clean record in the PRK and 40 years riding.

Guess I need to shop around before renewal comes up.

My previous Vision was @ $800/year.

scottarkon
05-31-2017, 11:51 PM
I'm switching to Geico this week. I'm currently with progressive on 3 bikes for $66 a month. Geico goes down to $60 a month but my coverage is higher and I get extras like roadside, lower deductible, $5k in accessory coverage.

I'm adding two teenagers to my policy on my cars and Geico was $330 a month for auto (that's 5 total drivers in the house with 3 of them teenagers). USAA was quoting $760 a month adding the kids. Same coverage - $430 more.

So I think I'm going to move everything to Geico. I'm told their app makes claims and customer service very easy.

ths61
06-01-2017, 12:09 AM
I wonder how guys with collections like Jay Leno insure all of their toys. They must either be self insured or get some sort of fleet pricing.

F6Brian
06-01-2017, 01:11 AM
I wonder how guys with collections like Jay Leno insure all of their toys. They must either be self insured or get some sort of fleet pricing.

If I had his money I would be self insured, no doubt about it.

willtill
06-01-2017, 07:52 AM

Umbrella policy?

Redlinez
06-01-2017, 09:33 AM
It definitely has a lot to do with where you live. It's insane in Philadelphia, NJ, NJ, etc.

jmdaniel
06-01-2017, 01:25 PM
Umbrella policy?

Umbrella policies are simply to ensure against excessive liability, not excessive number of cars or length of chin...

$840 for 2016 F6B and 2007 FJR1300, with Progressive. And that was after I bumped the coverages up to the levels necessary to get umbrella coverage. Geico was close to $1500, and USAA quotes through Progressive, so couldn't be cheaper.

wjduke
06-01-2017, 01:35 PM
Progressive has been good to me through an accident and premiums. My state controls rates, so all insurances are pretty close here.

Rickc
06-01-2017, 02:23 PM
Liberty Mutual has my annual premium a $381.00. The F6B and a 1972 Norton Commando.

F6B1911
06-01-2017, 03:53 PM
All insurance companies just plain"suck"!!!..Rates are out of control in most states and here in Michigan we are forced to pay into the biggest "BS" scam called catastrophic coverage that raises rates over 40%...This stupid fund now has over $18 billion dollars in it and no one in our capital knows how to use the money!!!...Our roads are some of the worst in the nation and the "asshole" law makers sit in Lansing and scratch their balls with no clue how to use this money....I do find although, that State Farm is fairly competitive in this area and I have been with them for almost 40 years....Ride safe

I thought I read the the catastrophic fund is used to bail out the folks who don't have insurance... You know, it rewards those are too cheap to buy insurance and penalizes those who do pay.

JackB
06-01-2017, 04:02 PM
I shopped around and Erie Insurance was the lowest I could find, but I stayed with State Farm, because I can suspend it during the winter but with Erie you can't suspend.

imscots
06-01-2017, 05:58 PM
57 years old, riding a 2016 Deluxe with about 20 years on two wheels. Using Markel Insurance Company, about $758.00 per year with a $375.00 deductible, 100/300 Liability blah blah blah. Four payments per year

Just got the bill today and thought it was kind of high, called my insurance rep that I use for house and cars. The rep gave me two quotes, Progressive and some other but both were over $950.00 for a single payment plan. $500 deductible.

Made a claim two years ago with Markel after I side swiped my brothers Mercedes, (long story)...Service was good.

Might be worth a call, Markel Tel: 800-236-2453.

I have no affiliation with any insurance company or would I want too...

I have used them now for the past few years, great service and prices, you also get 5 free tows/pick ups per year. I got a flat one night on way home and as it was late and dealer was closed, they took the bike to my home about 10 miles and came the next morning and re picked up the bike and took me to the dealer, about 12 miles and counted it as one of my five allowed. pretty cool

naga viper
06-01-2017, 06:45 PM
Just from experience state farm DOESN'T COVER THE RIDER only bike
I'm paying top dollar with dairyland BUT i have replacement coverage 250 and 500 coverage that stacks uninsured and underinsured lost wages roadside assistance 5000 accessory coverage (I may need to increase that) winter discount event replacement and lodging if I had tickets to concert and broke down or accident they replace value and put you up passenger coverage and probably more that i can't remember
I had a deer run into my chest years back lost my breath but never dropped bike went to emergency room thought may have broken rib or something (60mph) had to pay the whole emergency room bill xray cat scan ect. I will never go personally uninsured

VStarRider
06-01-2017, 08:22 PM
First, insurance is apples and oranges due to location, credit score, driving record, coverages, state regs, etc.

Second, interesting phone call with Progressive. I had two bikes and an ATV on my policy. Total cost with 100/300 liability, $250 deductibles on comp and collision is $289 for the year. I called them to drop my old VStar, which I sold a year ago. The rate went up to $307, due to losing a third vehicle on the policy. That's quite a multi-vehicle discount. WTF. I said I want to continue to coverage the VStar and save the $18.

Full coverage on the F6B alone is about $250/year where I live.

F6Dave
06-03-2017, 09:05 AM
Like others have said, it varies hugely (that's a popular word now) by location. Here in Colorado I pay $304 a year of full coverage on FOUR bikes. It's with Allstate, and their MC policies are so much cheaper than anyone else that when I asked a Farmers agent for a competitive quote, he said he wouldn't even bother.