PDA

View Full Version : Windshield for tall rider (6' 4")

J0k3r
05-31-2017, 02:47 PM
Just picked up my 2016 F6B last week. Immediately noticed that the stock windshield was useless at managing wind noise above 45mph. I purchased the 16" Klock Werks and while it did stop the wind from blasting me in the chest it now hits me dead in the forehead. The wind noise is so bad that after a ride on the highway at 70mph my ears rings hours after the ride. I purchased the 16" Klock Werks on the recommendation of one of their reps after telling him how tall I am. BTW I'm 6' 4". Now I'm looking for another solution. What sucks is I've spent $300 on the Klock Werks. Hopefully I can sell it and recoup some of my money. I was looking to add the X-Creen Touring but I'm not crazy about the look plus the curved lip on the Klock Werks means I would need to mount the X-Creen lower to get on a flat surface wich will reduce the effective height of the X-Creen. Now I'm looking at the F4 20" windshield but boy is it expensive at $400. Any other tall riders out there that had the same issue? Would l love to hear your solution. Thanks.

98valk
05-31-2017, 03:23 PM
You can get a Tulsa Tall shield. They are very tall. About 7" taller than the tall goldwing stock shield.

They are typically under $150 including shipping. So a "cheap" test.

I have one that I cut down and use on long trips (cross country). I'm only 5'10". I bought the tinted one.

There is nothing cool about them, though. :icon_cool: Even cut down some. But they work!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Slipstreamer-Moto-Replacement-Windshield-Tulsa-Touring-Smoke-T-167T-/292065813498?hash=item44007aa3fa:g:QWoAAOSwol5Y1PF 5&vxp=mtr

taxfree4
05-31-2017, 03:56 PM
Baggershield has a convertible shield that goes from 11" to 19" high

http://www.baggershield.com/honda-c-6.html?zenid=c27e508f195852dc01bc9e09539f15bb

ths61
05-31-2017, 04:13 PM
A lot of folks here ride the adjustable cant & height MadStad which is available in multiple stock heights as well as custom heights. I am only 6', but also went through a few shields before settling on the MadStad. They also used to have a free-test-ride period so you would not be out any $$$ if you don't like it.

Update: Just checked their website, they still have the free-trial-period. "If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, you have 60 days to return your system for a full refund of the purchase price (less shipping cost)."

https://madstad.com/collections/honda/products/honda-gold-wing-f6b-2013-up

J0k3r
05-31-2017, 08:40 PM
A lot of folks here ride the adjustable cant & height MadStad which is available in multiple stock heights as well as custom heights. I am only 6', but also went through a few shields before settling on the MadStad. They also used to have a free-test-ride period so you would not be out any $$$ if you don't like it.

Update: Just checked their website, they still have the free-trial-period. "If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, you have 60 days to return your system for a full refund of the purchase price (less shipping cost)."

Thanks ths61. This looks promising. I'll give them a call. They're in FL too so shipping should be quick.

Dweisman429
06-01-2017, 05:51 AM
Another Madstad user here...I like mine.
I am 6'2" and bought the 15" screen. I keep it in the lowest position. I look over it and could ride with a hat on if I wanted. The brackets allow for 2 or 3" of up travel so I think you should be good.

I like the looks of the Klockworks shield a little better but I'm still happy with my choice.

J0k3r
06-01-2017, 07:38 AM
Another Madstad user here...I like mine.
I am 6'2" and bought the 15" screen. I keep it in the lowest position. I look over it and could ride with a hat on if I wanted. The brackets allow for 2 or 3" of up travel so I think you should be good.

I like the looks of the Klockworks shield a little better but I'm still happy with my choice.

Same here. I really like the look of the Klockwerks but the buffeting and wind noise is just too much. I'm going to try the 15" Madstad. With their return policy I figure I have nothing to loose. Thanks for the feedback.

dustytrader
06-02-2017, 03:51 PM
I am also 6'4" and I have a 19 inch slip streamer with vent on mine and I just look over the top of the windshield. It's pretty good. You can buy them without the vent for around $100, with vent $160+

Just picked up my 2016 F6B last week. Immediately noticed that the stock windshield was useless at managing wind noise above 45mph. I purchased the 16" Klock Werks and while it did stop the wind from blasting me in the chest it now hits me dead in the forehead. The wind noise is so bad that after a ride on the highway at 70mph my ears rings hours after the ride. I purchased the 16" Klock Werks on the recommendation of one of their reps after telling him how tall I am. BTW I'm 6' 4". Now I'm looking for another solution. What sucks is I've spent $300 on the Klock Werks. Hopefully I can sell it and recoup some of my money. I was looking to add the X-Creen Touring but I'm not crazy about the look plus the curved lip on the Klock Werks means I would need to mount the X-Creen lower to get on a flat surface wich will reduce the effective height of the X-Creen. Now I'm looking at the F4 20" windshield but boy is it expensive at $400. Any other tall riders out there that had the same issue? Would l love to hear your solution. Thanks.

F6Brian
06-03-2017, 05:20 PM
I'm 6'3" and just replaced my stock shield with the Bagger Shield. The stock shield,as you said, was worthless. I am very happy with the BaggerShield without even using the clear top piece. Granted, it's even better with it on, but the tinted lower shield allows me to hear the radio just fine at 80. Also, now that it's hotter, I enjoy a little bit of air. I stopped today and took the top portion off, because I was burning up. The versatility is a huge plus, and you always have the option of a taller shield with you. It takes less than 5 minutes to switch out.

BobR
06-03-2017, 08:23 PM

I have the Madstad on my F6B and have a very tall torso too. I am taller than my 6'5" friends when I sit down. I custom ordered my Madstad to be taller than most. It is great to be able to lower it in the Florida heat to let some cooler air over the top but then put it up and it will completely block rain from hitting me in a full downpour. The vortex created by the air passing between the windshield has really cut down the helmet turbulence that a normal shield produces too.

J0k3r
06-13-2017, 09:49 PM
So I went with the 15" Madstad. Installed it last week and have done a few rides in the city and the highway. What a difference! I set it just below eye level which is the lowest position. Very slight buffeting on the top of my helmet but the wind noise is negligible. In the city it's perfect. I raised up up at eye level for the highway and no buffeting or noise. I'm going to play around with the angle at highway speeds (while stopped of course) and see where the sweet spot is. For any tall riders out there who's looking for an alternative to the stock shield I highly recommend the Madstad. Also was good to have the confidence of not wasting my money if it didn't work as you can return in provided it's still in good condition (no scratches, etc). :lolup:

2wheelsforme
06-14-2017, 08:35 AM
I guess I will have to go with a Madstad also as this Clockworks is not doing the job needed. Was planning on looking at diff shields at the rally but now maybe having good wind protection would be good for the trip up and back.

J0k3r
06-14-2017, 07:19 PM
I guess I will have to go with a Madstad also as this Clockworks is not doing the job needed. Was planning on looking at diff shields at the rally but now maybe having good wind protection would be good for the trip up and back.

I bought the Klock Werks as the first alternative but it didn't do all that much for me. Hopefully I can sell it and recoup some of the cost. Madstad's return policy makes it a no risk option. If it doesn't work for you just return it.

STRaider
06-21-2017, 06:59 PM
I purchased a Cee Baileys tall (19") with a vent. I've been happy with it. I am 6'3" and don't like any buffeting on my head. This one has worked well.