PDA

View Full Version : So I installed the backrest this morning...

hiflyer
10-12-2013, 03:10 PM
Then I took it off. It totally changed the way I feel on the bike. It is a quality product, just not for me. Now I'll have to schedule my appointment with RDL saddles. YMMV .

Scotrod
10-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Utopia, I assume?
Explain please.

hiflyer
10-12-2013, 08:54 PM
For me, I think a back rest works best with your feet out in front (read HD here). With the pegs at the mid point on the F6B, it just put me in an awkward position. I had back surgery 20 years ago, and have had the false idea that I needed the B/R. I have been riding the bike for 3 weeks, everyday, and have been totally comfortable, even on a couple of 500 mile days. The Utopia is a quality product, as I said, but I'll pass.

Scotrod
10-12-2013, 09:15 PM
On my last bike, the B/R just helped remind me not to slouch. I never did put a lot of weight on it.

Well, I take that back,,, never put a lot of weight on it unless I was 'tappin the torque' :icon_twisted:

db24
10-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Any last minute advice before I take a knife to my seat tomorrow?

Scotrod
10-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Measure twice, cut once!!! :icon_biggrin:

hiflyer
10-15-2013, 09:39 PM
Well, I just went out and drilled another lower hole in the brace where the backrest attaches, and lowered it. Certainly feels better, we'll know after the morning commute.

db24
10-19-2013, 10:17 AM
How did adding that lower hole work out?

I installed mine this week and took an 80 mile ride yesterday. My back didn't hurt at all-- which is unusual for me. Like others have mentioned, I may need to play around a little while with the positioning, but right now I feel like it was money well spent. Seems a little confining in the curves; I'm not as inclined to slide around on the seat. Maybe I just need to remember this is not the Ninja 1000 I sold to get this F6B! I also bought the quick release, which works nicely.