PDA

View Full Version : Way to go Harley, what would 2017 be w/o a recall

taxfree4
06-02-2017, 04:01 PM
As I always say Harley uses the public as their R&D. Took my Sportster yesterday for an inspection, 197 miles on it since 2013, I just can't get off the F6B. It feels like I got on lawnmower until I hit traffic then it felt like I was on a lawnmower with a BBQ underneath it, Great Balls of Fire.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/harley-recalls-bikes-oil-line-124236793.html

ths61
06-02-2017, 04:14 PM
I was at Harley last week and see they came out with a 107 CI engine. 1 CI larger than the now defunct Victory engines.

Indian must have pissed Harley off when they came out with the 111 CI engine, just 1 CI larger than their Screaming Eagle SE 110 CI engine.

taxfree4
06-02-2017, 05:21 PM
I was at Harley last week and see they came out with a 107 CI engine. 1 CI larger than the now defunct Victory engines.

Indian must have pissed Harley off when they came out with the 111 CI engine, just 1 CI larger than their Screaming Eagle SE 110 CI engine.

The Milwaukee 8, the reason why I traded my Road Glide Custom in for the F6B was because it was frying my balls at idle with the 103 c.i. engine so the new 107 should really put it on broil. Indian and Harley can duke it out with the cubic inch war, without any consideration for thermal evacuation, till they kill themselves I'll be nice and cool on my "B". If I'm not mistaken you have to pull the tank off on the new motor to change the plugs - genius.

willtill
06-02-2017, 05:25 PM
Harley Davidson = Oil Leaks

Always constant in my mind when I hear the name. :icon_lol:

ths61
06-02-2017, 05:39 PM

My car wrench told me he knows it is time to change the Harley oil when the Harley stops leaking. :icon_razz:

taxfree4
06-02-2017, 05:53 PM

I remember the aluminum pans underneath the bikes, IN THE SHOWROOM.

Davidk
06-02-2017, 10:06 PM
My car wrench told me he knows it is time to change the Harley oil when the Harley stops leaking. :icon_razz:

That's precious. Lol

willtill
06-03-2017, 05:20 AM
Yahoo link in Mike's post no longer valid for the leakers. Just to keep up with the pertinent info:

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2017/06/02/harley-davidson-recalls-45589-motorcycles-potential-oil-leak-concerns/

taxfree4
06-03-2017, 05:42 AM
Yahoo link in Mike's post no longer valid for the leakers. Just to keep up with the pertinent info:

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2017/06/02/harley-davidson-recalls-45589-motorcycles-potential-oil-leak-concerns/

Good lookin out, thanks will

xgringo
06-03-2017, 01:48 PM
Just for fun, here is a link to a Harley Thread entitled "Why Do I Hate Goldwings?"

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-general-b-s-forum/563312-why-do-i-hate-goldwings.html

ths61
06-03-2017, 02:14 PM
Just for fun, here is a link to a Harley Thread entitled "Why Do I Hate Goldwings?"

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-general-b-s-forum/563312-why-do-i-hate-goldwings.html

They have a lot of Wing supporters over there.

Like the comment about Wings not riding in the rain. I can't ever recall seeing a Wing being trailered to and from a motorcycle show unless it was the one pulling the trailer (in the rain).

Blk6bgg6
06-03-2017, 03:10 PM
This is funny shit ,the balls on fire.Buddy of mine wanted to go ridin couple weeks ago,I took the lead with the B.We're bout 80 miles in and he pulls up saying his ass is on fire.So we stop bout 15 miles later.He gets off that bike and literally is jumping up and down cause of the heat on his ass.Oh, I forgot to mention he's on a sportster.I told'em if he is gonna ride much he better get a different ride.Also he had been making snide remarks to a guy on a silverwing,he didnt pop off when the silverwing guy aced the ride

taxfree4
06-03-2017, 03:57 PM
This is funny shit ,the balls on fire.Buddy of mine wanted to go ridin couple weeks ago,I took the lead with the B.We're bout 80 miles in and he pulls up saying his ass is on fire.So we stop bout 15 miles later.He gets off that bike and literally is jumping up and down cause of the heat on his ass.Oh, I forgot to mention he's on a sportster.I told'em if he is gonna ride much he better get a different ride.Also he had been making snide remarks to a guy on a silverwing,he didnt pop off when the silverwing guy aced the ride

Get caught in traffic and it's unbearable, if and when I get too old and feeble for the "B" I would pick up a Silverwing in a second.

speedjunkie
06-03-2017, 05:12 PM
I do hate the consumer based R&D, but then again, pretty much everything is. My heartburn is once the R&D has been done, freaking fix the issue for a change! I won't be getting a new HD with the M8 anytime soon, but I will say maintenance and care makes a huge difference on perception. Neither my shovelhead or panhead mark thier territory, and neither are out of oil. Just saying.

Mike

VStarRider
06-03-2017, 07:33 PM
I do hate the consumer based R&D, but then again, pretty much everything is. My heartburn is once the R&D has been done, freaking fix the issue for a change! I won't be getting a new HD with the M8 anytime soon, but I will say maintenance and care makes a huge difference on perception. Neither my shovelhead or panhead mark thier territory, and neither are out of oil. Just saying.

Mike

That's true, regardless of manufacturer.

The 2015 Bs have some beefier transmission parts compared to my 2013, for example. A non-mechanical example, the 2015s+ have cruise control, mine doesn't.

My 2006 Apex sled was on the trail R & D for Yamaha. The cut out all but two grease zerks and used "permanently sealed" bushings in the suspension to try to shave a few ounces of weight. I was replacing those bushings every fall until I gave up and traded it in. They also used me and others to experiment with titanium Y pipes...which tended to crack and break every couple of years. Titanium ain't cheap.

I do have a question about Harley...how in the world are they able to meet EPA regs with air-cooled engines?!?!

ths61
06-03-2017, 08:20 PM

The 2015 Bs have some beefier transmission parts compared to my 2013, for example. A non-mechanical example, the 2015s+ have cruise control, mine doesn't.

I do have a question about Harley...how in the world are they able to meet EPA regs with air-cooled engines?!?!

Adding features one by one is usually a marketing tool to entice buyers to trade up every few years. Same reason clothing styles change.

VStarRider
06-03-2017, 08:28 PM
Adding features one by one is usually a marketing tool to entice buyers to trade up every few years. Same reason clothing styles change.

Point taken.

taxfree4
06-04-2017, 03:21 AM

My 2006 Apex sled was on the trail R & D for Yamaha. The cut out all but two grease zerks and used "permanently sealed" bushings in the suspension to try to shave a few ounces of weight. I was replacing those bushings every fall until I gave up and traded it in. They also used me and others to experiment with titanium Y pipes...which tended to crack and break every couple of years. Titanium ain't cheap.

At worse that's a pain in the ass, the Apex thing, but that's more a sub par part rather than, like this recall, a safety issue from an improperly installed part which resulted in crashes, last year it was brake lines failing without warning but in 2014 they were engaging without warning initiating NHTSA investigation covering 430,000 bikes. They recalled 10 times as many motorcycles in 2014 as they did in 2013 and 2015 312,000 bikes were recalled for clutches that won't disengage causing them to stay in gear. These are MAJOR safety issues, there is something systemically wrong at Harleys quality control, production line, R&D etc..

speedjunkie
06-04-2017, 07:29 AM

By continuing to lean out the mixuture at highway speeds. This accounts for the additional heat generated. Thus the need for the wet heads, oil or water.

Mike

shortleg0521
06-04-2017, 08:59 AM
The Milwaukee 8, the reason why I traded my Road Glide Custom in for the F6B was because it was frying my balls at idle with the 103 c.i. engine so the new 107 should really put it on broil. Indian and Harley can duke it out with the cubic inch war, without any consideration for thermal evacuation, till they kill themselves I'll be nice and cool on my "B". If I'm not mistaken you have to pull the tank off on the new motor to change the plugs - genius.

That is one of the many reasons I sold my Street Glide 103.
Liked the seating potion. But thought about the frog in the water.
And how you turn up the flame until he relies he is cooking.

taxfree4
06-04-2017, 11:45 AM
By continuing to lean out the mixuture at highway speeds. This accounts for the additional heat generated. Thus the need for the wet heads, oil or water.

Mike

Cooling the heads on these motors is like spraying a water gun on a bonfire besides I can lower the temperature by 10-15 degrees just by taking the lowers OFF these idiots want you to put the lowers on to cool the heads off that are getting restricted air flow because the lowers are on to cool the heads that are getting restricted air flow because the lowers are on to cool the heads that are getting restricted air flow because the lowers are on to cool the heads because they are getting restricted air flow SLAP :icon_doh: OK I snapped out of it.

speedjunkie
06-04-2017, 05:29 PM
Dual plugged heads will help the emissions, plus should be able to retard the timing a touch, which will help with heat.

The lowers are great for cutting wind and rain off your legs, but yeah, they sure help hold the heat in the pocket, that's for sure! I normally took them off in the summer. But, the new water cooled models are permanent, they house the radiators.

Mike

BIGLRY
06-04-2017, 06:15 PM
Dual plugged heads will help the emissions, plus should be able to retard the timing a touch, which will help with heat.

The lowers are great for cutting wind and rain off your legs, but yeah, they sure help hold the heat in the pocket, that's for sure! I normally took them off in the summer. But, the new water cooled models are permanent, they house the radiators.

MikeYeap here is what they look like in a parts diagram. I just wounder why HD did not cool the whole head like Honda did with the VTX1800 and only cooled the exhaust ports.
http://thekneeslider.com/images/2011/06/harley-davidson-water-cooled-heads-5.jpg
http://thekneeslider.com/images/2011/06/harley-davidson-water-cooled-heads.jpg

VStarRider
06-04-2017, 06:20 PM
I have owned two VStar 1100s, and have been stuck in traffic with them many times. These are strictly "free air" motors...no cooling mechanisms whatever, besides the fins.

Yet, these engines never got hot, at least not enough to be uncomfortable. Go figure.

The Chieftain I rented in Texas through some heat in traffic...not terrible, but definitely more noticeable than the Yammie...and this was in November.

ghost
06-05-2017, 07:37 AM
I have trouble understanding the H-D bashing here. Aren't we all simply passionate bikers? I've owned four Harleys and liked each for different reasons. The new generation bikes are really huge steps forward. Love my F6B-- for now. If everyone had exactly the same interests and same motorcycle, wouldn't that be dull? Enjoy diversity!

willtill
06-05-2017, 08:42 AM
I have trouble understanding the H-D bashing here. Aren't we all simply passionate bikers? I've owned four Harleys and liked each for different reasons. The new generation bikes are really huge steps forward. Love my F6B-- for now. If everyone had exactly the same interests and same motorcycle, wouldn't that be dull? Enjoy diversity!

It's not bashing. It's constructive criticism.

Redlinez
06-05-2017, 12:37 PM
If I recall (ha ha), the Goldwings have had recalls as well. I'm actually considering going to look at a new Ultra Classic. I think a lot of people just get sucked into believing you have to spend a ton of money on Harleys because others do. You can spend a ton of money on anything you chose to. Like someone else said, it's kind of a passion and we all have that in common.

Old Ryder
06-05-2017, 03:22 PM
Along with the Valkyrie, I have a chromed out 01 Springer. I have owned HD, Honda, Victory and been on all of the boards. I like riding different bikes. The "thump from a Harley" is still special---but I don't want to feel it for 10 hours straight like I used too. I also love the "Stealth Power" of the 1800 flat six. Still on the board here even though the B is long gone. One thing is common on all the boards except the Harley board. Everybody hates Harley--for more reasons than I can ever begin to list. Funny thing is that many HD guys will tell you that Harley is not even close to being the best made or designed bike. They love it for what it is--like an old dog that is way past his prime. I guess that is also the way I think.

Does not matter what letters are between your knees---it is still the same wind in your face.

taxfree4
06-05-2017, 03:46 PM

Not bashing if you plunked down $ to own it, no one complains about Harley more than the people who own one, like myself, and have for over 30 years. The new bikes are a huge step forward...in generating more heat, yes. We say this precisely because we do care about the brand and see it going into auto destructuion. Another top down company that does not listen to the most important input you can have...the people who buy them and like me and other former and present HD owners on this board we will not buy them again. As far as dull Honda has many different models. If diversity means spending a ton of money to cook your balls and ruin a ride if you get caught in traffic I'll pass on diversity.

Audiochris90
06-05-2017, 03:54 PM
My 2007 vtx1800 r never ever had heat25615 issues. Water and air cooled, no shaky shaky either. Tons of tourqe. Felt faster than the B but i know it wasn't.

opas ride
06-05-2017, 04:24 PM
The 2005 VTX 1800F was fast, smooth, liquid cooled, and a great bike for a V-Twin..so much better than any HD in every way and still kind of wish I kept it...Love my F6B and have no plans to change rides at this point..HD riders, in my opinion, are just like Democrats, know it all and are convinced that they are 100% right in everything and don't want to talk about any other subject except how great there cause is and how great HD's are!!!!....Regards

VStarRider
06-05-2017, 05:18 PM
The 2005 VTX 1800F was fast, smooth, liquid cooled, and a great bike for a V-Twin..so much better than any HD in every way and still kind of wish I kept it...Love my F6B and have no plans to change rides at this point..HD riders, in my opinion, are just like Democrats, know it all and are convinced that they are 100% right in everything and don't want to talk about any other subject except how great there cause is and how great HD's are!!!!....Regards

Trump is a Democrat?!? :stirthepot:

willtill
06-05-2017, 05:19 PM
Echo the accolades for the VTX platform. I had a 1300R and never had any issues with it. Great, reliable bike. :icon_cool:

Old Ryder
06-05-2017, 05:35 PM
I had an 06 VTX C model Spec 3. Fastest bike I have ever owned.

opas ride
06-05-2017, 06:59 PM
Trump is a Democrat?!? :stirthepot:

If your trying to be funny....your not!!!...Don't be so naïve ....You must be a Democrat which is your business, but it falls on deaf ears with me.....Regards

VStarRider
06-06-2017, 07:55 PM
If your trying to be funny....your not!!!...Don't be so na�ve ....You must be a Democrat which is your business, but it falls on deaf ears with me.....Regards

Okay...so....Trump is off-limits, as well as any criticism of the F6B...anything else?

edgeman55
06-07-2017, 01:12 PM
Okay...so....Trump is off-limits, as well as any criticism of the F6B...anything else?

Don't take it personal VStar.Opas 's rocking chair is broken and he can't sit on the porch to yell at the kids-LOL.

3Chief
06-08-2017, 03:06 AM

I still have mine and still love it. Hadn't rode it in months, hopped on it yesterday and it was like I hadn't been off it. Love that bike, still fits better than my B.

I work with riders of all types and the most common thing from HD riders is either all the maintenance issues or issues with the service department. But when you mention any other riding options the denial sets in. I've ridden many different brands over the years and everyone has it's pros and cons. The ostrich tendencies of HD riders is amazing. I would give HD a chance if they made something as bulletproof and rock solid as my VTX. Haven't seen anything yet.