PDA

View Full Version : new Yamaha Transcontinental Touring

lloydmoore1
06-05-2017, 07:58 PM
https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/transcontinental-touring

Jimmytee
06-05-2017, 08:06 PM
I just saw that tonight. Interesting. If only it were an 1800 V-4 instead of a -twin

98valk
06-05-2017, 08:10 PM
It looks nice! Low seating, nice curves.

Air cooled twin - yuk!! :banghead:

unsub
06-05-2017, 08:18 PM
OP thanks for posting that. It looks promising for Yamaha.

OK being open and transparent here I did feel a slight twinge of smugness when the "owners" were bragging about their "mileage" on their previous rides.

No doubt it will generate a lot of interest, and I'll certainly be looking to see one in person.

F6B1911
06-05-2017, 08:45 PM
I really don't want to be negative here, but what the heck is the deal with the v-twin and a belt drive??
To be honest I was expecting a new engine/platform to compete with the Goldwing, not the HD.

RickW
06-05-2017, 08:56 PM
Looks pretty cool, but that will not compete with a GoldWing.
For the price they will have a hard time competing with a HD ultra classic.

taxfree4
06-05-2017, 09:09 PM
Air-Cooled? Are they kidding

opas ride
06-05-2017, 09:27 PM
I don't think that Yamaha is trying to compete with the Goldwing or BMW at all...The market for large touring rigs these days seems to dominated by big air-cooled V-Twins with belt drive...Indian, Victory, (before its demise), Harley and other model Yamaha's all fall in that category and they sell very well....The GW and F6B are in a market by themselves for those of us that prefer smoothness and power with shaft drives, etc. Look at the sales numbers for Touring rigs in the US market and one will see it is clearly filled will air-cooled, V-twin bikes for the most part....Hope Honda does something soon with the GW, F6B, and other touring/bagger type bikes......The price on the new Yammie is way to high for me and the thing weighs almost 1/2 a ton!!!!....Ride safe

Miks
06-05-2017, 09:31 PM
The V-twin market - lets see, Harley comes out with the Milwaukee 8 to celebrate four valves per cylinder, while Polaris quits building Victories. The Indian is a good bike, but the Japanese manufacturers just haven't been able to get a V-twin that is a good seller in Americana flavorings.

It looks like a good bike, electric reverse AND forward for "tricky spots", so between the heavy Harley and Indian, I sort of like having a reverse for sure. My question is - does this up the ante for Honda to come out with a touring type GoldWing that says - you don't need no stinking V-twin, check out the V-four TURBO Goldwing with 156 horsepower??? Hmm, would love that!

jm21ddd15
06-05-2017, 10:08 PM
Same motor as the old Roadliner and Raider, which were both belt drive. This one is a 6 speed, the other 2 were 5 speed. Lots of power and low end grunt. I've put several thousand miles on a Raider and a Roadliner, but, I'll stay with my F6 for now. Too much $$$$$$$

lloydmoore1
06-06-2017, 06:18 AM
It's kind of weird check out the brake pedal on the right side looks like the same as the gear shifter???:yikes: I will have to test drive one just because but really air cooled and belt drive are a real downer for me.

jmdaniel
06-06-2017, 10:24 AM
I don't think that Yamaha is trying to compete with the Goldwing or BMW at all...The market for large touring rigs these days seems to dominated by big air-cooled V-Twins with belt drive...Indian, Victory, (before its demise), Harley and other model Yamaha's all fall in that category and they sell very well....The GW and F6B are in a market by themselves for those of us that prefer smoothness and power with shaft drives, etc. Look at the sales numbers for Touring rigs in the US market and one will see it is clearly filled will air-cooled, V-twin bikes for the most part....Hope Honda does something soon with the GW, F6B, and other touring/bagger type bikes......The price on the new Yammie is way to high for me and the thing weighs almost 1/2 a ton!!!!....Ride safe

Huh? Victory is no more, at least in part to declining sales, and Harley is also seeing declining sales in everything but their T-shirts!

I think this thing was in dev at Yamaha well before the recent decline, and no one had enough balls to pull the plug.

BIGLRY
06-06-2017, 11:04 AM
MSRP*
$26,999 - Granite Gray - Transcontinental Option Package - Available from September 2017

$26,999 - Raspberry Metallic - Transcontinental Option Package - Available from September 20217

$24,999 - Granite Gray - Available from September 2017

$24,999 - Raspberry Metallic - Available from September 2017

Engine Type: 113-cubic-inch (1854cc) air-cooled OHV V-twin; 8 valves
Bore x Stroke: 100.0mm x 118.0mm
Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
Fuel Delivery: Yamaha Fuel Injection with YCC-T and D-Mode
Ignition: TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission: 6-speed; multiplate assist and slipper wet clutch
Final Drive: Belt

Chassis
Suspension / Front: 46mm telescopic fork; 5.1-in travel
Suspension / Rear: Single shock with remote preload adjustment; 4.3-in travel

Brakes / Front: Dual hydraulic disc, 298mm; Unified Brake System and ABS
Brakes / Rear: Hydraulic disc, 320mm; Unified Brake System and ABS

Tires / Front: 130/70R18 BridgestoneŽ ExedraŽ
Tires / Rear: 200/55R16 BridgestoneŽ ExedraŽ

L x W x H: 106.3 in x 39.9 in x 55.5 - 59.1 in

Seat Height: 27.4 in

Wheelbase: 67.6 in

Rake (Caster Angle): 31.0°

Trail: 5.7 in

Maximum Ground Clearance: 5.5 in

Fuel Capacity: 6.6 gal

Fuel Economy: 34.0 mpg

Wet Weight***
Star Venture / Star Venture Transcontinental 957 lb / 963 lb

Warranty: 5 Year Warranty Coverage* -- *1 year limited factory warranty + 4 years Yamaha Extended Service = 5 years coverage.

https://cloud.yamahamotorsports.com/library/img.jpg?id=592f0fb12a0ab60ad4e3e8fb&w=840
https://cloud.yamahamotorsports.com/library/img.jpg?id=592f0fb22a0ab60ad4e3e902&w=840
https://cloud.yamahamotorsports.com/library/img.jpg?id=592f0fb22a0ab60ad4e3e907&w=840
https://cloud.yamahamotorsports.com/library/img.jpg?id=59305fc02a0ab601c4072e64&w=840
https://cloud.yamahamotorsports.com/library/img.jpg?id=59305d972a0ab601c4070586&w=840
https://cloud.yamahamotorsports.com/library/img.jpg?id=59305d9b2a0ab601c40705f7&w=840

broncsrule21
06-06-2017, 04:19 PM
Wont poach many sales from the Goldwing crowd. Clearly aimed at the V-twin segment. Too ME, it will be a quality bike, most of Yamaha's stuff is. The only V-twin I see myself on is the Ducati X-Diavel (Dreaming). The only way I would consider changing from the F6B is if Honda comes out with a faster, more powerful bagger....Very unlikely, I am happy with what I have.

VStarRider
06-06-2017, 04:55 PM
This new Yamaha bike is intriguing.

I love the looks - and it has all of the features that I wish my F6B had. This just made our bikes even more outdated.

This bike is clearly aimed at two machines ... the Indian Roadmaster and the Ultra Classic (or whatever HD calls their cruiser with the trunk) ... the looks and features are in direct competition ... plus the traction control, electric low speed reverse and forward feature.

If this bike handles and rides well, Yamaha may have hit one out of the park with this one.

I love the infotainment system - very up to date with great features.

There may be a high profit margin on this machine after the R & D for the infotainment system is paid off...the engine, ABS, cruise, traction control and electronic throttle were already in the parts bin. An air-cooled twin is a fairly inexpensive engine to manufacture.

taxfree4
06-06-2017, 05:12 PM

I love the looks - and it has all of the features that I wish my F6B had. This just made our bikes even more outdated.

This bike is clearly aimed at two machines ... the Indian Roadmaster and the Ultra Classic (or whatever HD calls their cruiser with the trunk) ... the looks and features are in direct competition ... plus the traction control, electric low speed reverse and forward feature.

If this bike handles and rides well, Yamaha may have hit one out of the park with this one.

There may be a high profit margin on this machine after the R & D for the infotainment system is paid off...the engine, ABS, cruise, traction control and electronic throttle were already in the parts bin. An air-cooled twin is a fairly inexpensive engine to manufacture.

I don't see how an air cooled, 100 year old V-Twin technology can make a flat six liquid cooled engine seem outdated, especially with the ability of the vast aftermarket options. Does the Yamaha have the single swing arm for changing a tire or fixing a flat on the side of the road? And as far as ease of maintenance i.e. changing spark plugs, oil, oil filter. I don't see how the Yamaha excels in any of these areas,what's outdated on the "B".

Jimmytee
06-06-2017, 05:13 PM
It's a good looking bike and I'm just glad to see them stepping out with a new bike. Had they put some R&D into using an update V-4, I'd be a lot more interested in it though.

Mrf13
06-06-2017, 06:36 PM
I'm with Jimmytee.
Missed Opportunity there. That Vmax motor is a beast. Would have been a lot more competitive to a wing.

VStarRider
06-06-2017, 06:46 PM
I don't see how an air cooled, 100 year old V-Twin technology can make a flat six liquid cooled engine seem outdated, especially with the ability of the vast aftermarket options. Does the Yamaha have the single swing arm for changing a tire or fixing a flat on the side of the road? And as far as ease of maintenance i.e. changing spark plugs, oil, oil filter. I don't see how the Yamaha excels in any of these areas,what's outdated on the "B".

No Bluetooth
No push button start
No remote release bags/trunk
No ABS (US)
No Cruise (2013, 14...I'm bitter)
No Trip Computer
No Satellite Radio
No Traction Control

I'll argue that the engine is equivalent to my Honda's in terms of tech...not in cooling, but in multi-valve heads, electronic throttle control. The twin makes more torque, too.

Yamaha making what appears to be a great bike (TBD on the road) does not mean all the things we love about the F6B are no longer valid.

opas ride
06-06-2017, 06:55 PM

In all due respect my friend, you seem to find constant faults with your F6B and what it does not have. Maybe you should move on and trade for another Yamaha model and be much happier....Life is to short to "nit-pick" all the little shortcomings ..Ride the F6B and enjoy it for what it is, and does, not what it doesn't do...Please!!..Regards

Fingerz
06-06-2017, 06:56 PM
Without knowing much about the bike, I like the looks of it if nothing else.

taxfree4
06-06-2017, 07:10 PM
No Bluetooth
No push button start
No ABS (US)
No Trip Computer
No Satellite Radio
No Traction Control

I'll argue that the engine is equivalent to my Honda's in terms of tech...not in cooling, but in multi-valve heads, electronic throttle control. The twin makes more torque, too.

Yamaha making what appears to be a great bike (TBD on the road) does not mean all the things we love about the F6B are no longer valid.

You're talking about bells and whistles, sure, they have the Goldwing for that but you can still get most of that outside of the ABS in the aftermarket. Cooling is major especially when you are beginning a new brand in 2017 and expecting to get longevity out of it. Eventually, I cannot see how any manufacturer is going avoid liquid cooling if they're going to survive but that's just my opinion.

Jimmytee
06-06-2017, 07:34 PM
No Bluetooth
No push button start
No ABS (US)
No Trip Computer
No Satellite Radio
No Traction Control

The thing there is, you are comparing what is supposedly the new Flagship touring model from Yamaha to an F6B with your list of features that are not on your F6B. :icon_doh:

You are comparing apples to oranges. Pretty much everything on your list would be there if you were comparing to the Loaded Gold Wing which is Honda's Touring flagship. :icon_cool:

Granted, the new Yamaha there sports arguably updated electronics, but you are still trying to compare a 2018 Flagship model to a 13-14 F6B that was never intended to be Honda's flagship touring model, but a lighter dressed down Gold Wing.

VStarRider
06-06-2017, 07:43 PM
You're talking about bells and whistles, sure, they have the Goldwing for that but you can still get most of that outside of the ABS in the aftermarket. Cooling is major especially when you are beginning a new brand in 2017 and expecting to get longevity out of it. Eventually, I cannot see how any manufacturer is going avoid liquid cooling if they're going to survive but that's just my opinion.

Yamaha has air-cooling figured out. I owned two of them (1100s). Those are 100,000 mile engines, though my expectations are higher than that. Strangely enough, the 1300 Deluxe, an entry level cruiser-tourer, costs half as much and has liquid cooling.

My opinion too. Apparently, their market research shows air cooling as a factor in purchasing is enough of a factor in this consumer group to make the decision to go with it. Makes no sense to me, embracing retro mechanical tech with no advantage over water cooled counterparts. It is like a group of new car buyers demanding carburetors instead of fuel injection.

VStarRider
06-06-2017, 07:52 PM
The thing there is, you are comparing what is supposedly the new Flagship touring model from Yamaha to an F6B with your list of features that are not on your F6B. :icon_doh:

You are comparing apples to oranges. Pretty much everything on your list would be there if you were comparing to the Loaded Gold Wing which is Honda's Touring flagship. :icon_cool:

Granted, the new Yamaha there sports arguably updated electronics, but you are still trying to compare a 2018 Flagship model to a 13-14 F6B that was never intended to be Honda's flagship touring model, but a lighter dressed down Gold Wing.

I accept that the comparison is not a direct one, but the Indian Chieftain (starting as a 2014 model) is a F6B competitor and has all those things listed above, minus traction control.

Loaded Gold Wing is missing Bluetooth, traction control, push button start...and is priced thousands higher than this new Yamaha...but, it is an outdated machine. Still a great machine, but long in the tooth.

Beyond the above...

Some folks are awfully sensitive about their motorcycles, a manufactured product for profit made by the thousands in a factory...can't say anything critical about them. Any product has strengths and weaknesses, both are part of the honest conversation on forums like this, in my opinion.

Dirtstiff's F6B
06-06-2017, 07:57 PM
I'd have one in a minute if I were looking for another touring bike. C'mon Honda. This Yamaha beauty shows just how antiquated the Goldwing platform has become.
MO..
Jim

Jimmytee
06-06-2017, 08:42 PM
I accept that the comparison is not a direct one, but the Indian Chieftain (starting as a 2014 model) is a F6B competitor and has all those things listed above, minus traction control.

Loaded Gold Wing is missing Bluetooth, traction control, push button start...and is priced thousands higher than this new Yamaha...but, it is an outdated machine. Still a great machine, but long in the tooth.

Beyond the above...

Some folks are awfully sensitive about their motorcycles, a manufactured product for profit made by the thousands in a factory...can't say anything critical about them. Any product has strengths and weaknesses, both are part of the honest conversation on forums like this, in my opinion.

That's just it. You're not being honest in your comparison. :icon_lol: I point out that you shouldn't be comparing the F6B to the new Yamaha, but rather the loaded Gold Wing. Then you bring up the Indian Cheiftain. :icon_rolleyes:

You say the Loaded Gold Wing is thousands higher and sure sticker price for the loaded version with ABS and all the goodies from Honda is 29k compared to 27k for the loaded Yamaha. So there is a 2k difference in sticker price. I wonder which would have a better dicker price? :icon_wink:

Then to top it off, since you brought up price, I paid 15k for my brand new F6B in 2014. I guess I knew it didn't have some features found in the Loaded Gold Wing and other bikes. Perhaps that was one of the reasons a $20k srp bike sold for 15k. :icon_cool:

Like I said, that new Yamaha looks cool with some cool updated tech on board, but comparing a 2018 flagship touring bike to our F6Bs , just isn't the righteous comparison. That's my opinion.

opas ride
06-06-2017, 09:08 PM

Beyond the above...

I think you should run out and buy all the Yamaha stock you can afford, trade your F6B for a Yamaha, and join another board that praises and supports Yamaha!!!....Regards.....

Jimmytee
06-06-2017, 09:22 PM
I think you should run out and buy all the Yamaha stock you can afford, trade your F6B for a Yamaha, and join another board that praises and supports Yamaha!!!....Regards.....

If I were to be in the market now for a fully loaded touring bike I'd have to look at the Yamaha. Still, for that money, if I were going to consider a V-twin , I'd have to include Harley for the simple reason of the tons of available accessories. :duck:

I would still be inclined to wait until Honda announces it's 2018 lineup before pulling any triggers.:icon_cool:

But alas, my F6B is rocking , LITERALLY .:headbang: See you in the twisties

jm21ddd15
06-06-2017, 10:20 PM
Ha! Take a look at MANY comments on the Roadliner forums. They are not too thrilled with their new 1/2 ton beast. My own tastes? It's ok if you are into v-twins, but I've been there, and I graduated to the Flat 6! I do like the idea of a 6 speed tranny, but all the electronic gismos, they don't mean much to me, I don't use the radio, or any GPS, and I don't need a "couch" on the back. I like to hear the motor doing it's thing. JMO

OlyF6B
06-07-2017, 12:20 AM
Mechanicals notwithstanding, the styling doesn't work for me. The front is a mash-up between a Kawi Vaquero and the Can-Am Spyder Tourer and the back is like some '60's Truckster...

willtill
06-07-2017, 05:49 AM
Needs a car tire.

VStarRider
06-07-2017, 06:05 AM
It is an up to date machine with all the features I want. I like the looks. Like others, I would prefer a V4 liquid cooled on a bike this expensive. Of course, that might tip the scale to 1,000 lbs+.

A major advantage the F6B offers over any cruiser competition is that it is built on a standard bike platform...and, therefore, handles quite well. I think the handling makes me feel as safe as having ABS on a loafing traditional cruiser. That would be my concern with this Yamaha rig...the handling.

Redlinez
06-07-2017, 06:54 AM
Crazy, almost didn't click on this, thought it was a tire name..... I'm considering a Ultra Classic, Indian Chieftain Darkhorse with tour pack, and possibly a GW. I'm probably least interested in the GW due to ride and lack of new stuff (would basically be my 3rd GW). Now I see this and am quite intrigued. I will definitely look at it and compare to the HD, it would probably bump my desire for the Indian based on my style and hearing about Indian repair/reliability issues. This Yamaha reminds me of a 67 Firebird front end. I still choke at the idea of $25k bikes though.......

Steve 0080
06-07-2017, 07:18 AM
I think it is a very nice looking bike...now if the heat generated does not effect the riders then this may make Yamaha

a lot of money !!! Front end is sexy !!!

Miks
06-07-2017, 07:32 AM
When I look at the Yamaha...it looks like GoldWing bodywork/parts in many ways.

Here is the truth - the bagger segment IS the demand segment in the marketplace, and is the most profitable to a manufacturer. Although we love our F6B's, we value more performance in a bagger than the V-twin offers.

That being said, Harley has been successful with the V-twin market, because of the character of the bike's long stroke V-twin motor. I have had a few Harley's, and they do have a certain amount of bad-ass feel to them, although they are sort of a dog :icon_razz: Harley sells a lot more Ultra-classics than Honda does Goldwing's, so people aren't all out on the performance side, they want that cha-chug cha-chug sound as they cruise down the road.

With regards to air cooling, Harley had to do the twin cooled on the ultra's, but not on the street glide or road king. But...the Indian Road Master and Chieftain/Classic, Street Glide, and others actually use liquid cooling in the form of oil cooling. They spray oil on the bottom of the piston's to cool them, and flow a lot of oil through the head to dissapate heat from the motor. They use a rather large oil cooler to maintain specific temperatures. Suzuki did this for many years on the GSXR and Bandit series, and is quite effective without having to add radiators, water pump, and the associated plumbing.

The air cooling is a cool thing, and has a lot more technology involved than most understand. Air cooling does have a lot of advantages on a motorcycle, mainly on a V-twin engine but not on a four cylinder or a flat six...it just wouldn't work. If I lived in Arizona, Las Vegas, or anyplace that 100 + temperatures were the norm, forget about it, water cooling is the way to go all the way. Otherwise, it offers a method of cooling that isn't very complicated.

The Yamaha looks quite cool. I ride with a guy who is ape nuts over the Indian's and Victories...he has owned about 10 of them. I sent the link from this forum to him when the Yamaha was first let out of the barn, and he thinks this may be the answer now that he can't buy a Victory.

My thoughts are - no one is buying very many Goldwing's anymore. I know where there are numerous 2015's and 2016's on the showroom floor, and this Yamaha will take even more Golding buyers. It is time Honda steps up - which I think they probably have this in the works, to provide a more modern version of the luxury touring bike. The new Harley 107's are almost a Honda as they sit, so Honda needs to bring something to the market that can compete head on with them.

taxfree4
06-07-2017, 08:28 AM
You're just not going to get a die hard Harley guy on a Honda, or a Yamaha for that matter, no matter what you do. Honda can duplicate the Ultra Classic to the tee but if it says anything but Harley-Davidson on the tank it will not appeal to the Harley rider. No one complains about Harley more than Harley owners but that is part of the package. Yamaha needed a new big tourer and this was the answer, BMW came out with theirs so Yamaha was the next in line. IMO it looks like this bike has two Kuryakyn Hyperchargers on each side.

Make no mistake every manufacturer wants to sell product and you don't do that by appealing to rural America, sorry, where you have sparse population and endless miles of empty road to whoosh the wind past your oversized V-Twin to keep it somewhat tolerable. You target big cities with large populations where dealerships can thrive and unfortunately the one thing that accompanies this is TRAFFIC everywhere and at anytime. I stopped riding my Harley because it went from anticipating a pleasurable ride to being cooked and the only thing I was concentrating on was getting home and getting off. It's only a 1200 Sportster, 2013 with 197 miles on it but once you're in traffic you're screwed.

I am a function over form guy so I couldn't wait to dump the Road Glide Custom for the F6B but the one thing Harley has over everyone one else, and the one thing that's keeping them solvent, is a rabid loyal following that wouldn't give up the lifestyle for anything. They'll complain, put up with the heat, shitty dealers, recalls etc. etc. but as long as they can don the assless chaps and bandanas and ride to the diner, with the engine doing the "Po-ta-to, Po-ta-to" sound, and look cool doing it, they're OK with it. We'll see the feedback from the people who buy the Yamaha and if the heat issue will rear its' ugly head, it'll be interesting. IMHO for the most part no one is going to trade their Ultra Classic, Road King, Road Glide, Street Glide in for anything other than another Harley no matter what the Japs come out with.

53driver
06-07-2017, 08:38 AM
Mechanicals notwithstanding, the styling doesn't work for me. The front is a mash-up between a Kawi Vaquero and the Can-Am Spyder Tourer and the back is like some '60's Truckster...

+1.
Too many "angles & cuts."
Like Picasso and Arlen Ness got together and were dropping acid while designing a motorcycle.....

Cheers,
Steve

Redlinez
06-07-2017, 08:39 AM
While I don't disagree, there are quite a few people like myself who are contemplating a v-twin tourer. I guess the heat part makes for a lot of regret. I don't like riding any motorcycle in traffic. That's not why you buy one. I go out on weekends and take the wife for rides out in the country. I don't even like riding to work because of all the dipsh*&ts driving like maniacs to get to work. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate my F6B, so it will have to be very impressive for me to trade again and lose again. I'm not a nutswinger brand freak, so if I end up with a Ultra Classic, I won't be wearing all the HD gear. My wife just wants to be a HD tshirt queen though....... From what I see when I surf dealer websites, Indians aren't moving either. They're offering a $1500 trade bump and $1000 in gear. It's a buyers market right now.

BillyDee
06-07-2017, 09:23 AM
Wont poach many sales from the Goldwing crowd. Clearly aimed at the V-twin segment. Too ME, it will be a quality bike, most of Yamaha's stuff is. The only V-twin I see myself on is the Ducati X-Diavel (Dreaming). The only way I would consider changing from the F6B is if Honda comes out with a faster, more powerful bagger....Very unlikely, I am happy with what I have.

Sold my Diavel X last year. Never been in trouble with the law, until.

The bike was like Crack, screaming at you, faster, faster.

I'm in recovery right now, 2016 FB6 Deluxe. Easy girl.

Old Ryder
06-07-2017, 10:13 AM
Very Odd Style---to me anyway

Looks like a Goldwing with sharp edges instead of curves----then throw in a big V Twin with belt drive. Honda looks and Harley power. Who thought that one up?

I will say that with the Star V Twin it is a very good drive train. As the salesman put it-- "Star builds a better Harley than Harley."

F6B1911
06-07-2017, 10:46 AM

Only one thing is outdated, the electronic "goodies."

BIGLRY
06-07-2017, 10:58 AM
+1.
Too many "angles & cuts."
Like Picasso and Arlen Ness got together and were dropping acid while designing a motorcycle.....

Cheers,
SteveYou nailed it Steve...I am of the same opinion.

F6Dave
06-07-2017, 12:56 PM
I always liked the looks of the Royal Star Venture. It was a nicely finished bike with styling similar to the original Valkyrie. It had a detuned version of the water cooled V4 from the original VMAX. I always hoped they'd upgrade it to use the 1700 CC engine from the current VMAX. That sure would have been a potent engine in their new big touring bike.

edgeman55
06-07-2017, 01:01 PM
If I were in the market to get a full dress bike again I would consider the Yamaha.I like the looks and it seems to have a great riding position to tour.Has every bell and whistle one could want.Decent warranty and competitive price for the market it shares.The only V twin I have ever owned was a 2005 Yamaha Roadstar and it gave me 80,000 trouble free miles.My buddy bought it and it now sits at 120,000 miles and burns no oil and no leaks so they know how to build a V twin engine.The only concern I would have is engine heat but they claim it has redirect venting.I think this one will do pretty well in the touring market.IMHO for what ever thats worth.

Redlinez
06-07-2017, 03:27 PM
http://ridermagazine.com/2017/06/05/2018-yamaha-star-venture-first-look-review/

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/2018-yamaha-star-venture-first-look-review#page-10

unsub
06-07-2017, 05:20 PM
I certainly like the esthetics, but my wife thinks it's ugly...go figure.

If Honda just did some small cosmetic tweaks like led lighting, and easy to read LCD screens and comfort features with modern controls, that might be enough to stay relevant (to the market in 2018).

OTOH I also note that it took Yamaha a couple of versions to iron out the control electronics on the Super Tenere. Much of which I think they have transferred to the TC and applied a new skin, so I'd be cautiously optimistic on this setup first year out. I would love BIG LCD panels that are easy to read in the sunlight.

I either heard or read somewhere that the YTC has a steel frame...that seems a bit odd for this generation of big touring bikes. Are they just cheaping out on the chassis or is steel better in this application?

I would think that the rigidity of aluminum lends to superior handling, as in the GW.

SimonTemplar
06-08-2017, 01:29 AM
Dunno....that front end looks like some kind of deranged mash-up of a couple '57 Edsels and a '66 Dodge Challenger. Roll in the air cooled V-twin, the belt drive, and the price tag....

I'll pass.

....sT

Bob Penn
06-08-2017, 07:15 AM
What is the name of that company that had something like 8,000 great bikes sitting in their warehouse in the $23 K dollar plus range? They couldn't move them until they offered substantial discounts bringing them down to the $15 K range? Then they were able to move them as leftovers and many of us now ride them. Do you think, maybe it was some kind of tax write off plan?

What was the name of that company that just went out of business trying to sell $25 k bikes in a very limited high end market?

When will they ever learn only Harley can do that and It's mainly because of the sheep factor.

Is history destined to repeat itself?

unsub
06-08-2017, 09:40 AM
Harley maybe the only company that can pull "Harley" off but the Japanese are the only ones that can pull reliability off.

When Yamaha released the Virago back in the 70's that began a renewed interest in V twins and that was an inadvertent boost to Harley sales. The affluent of the day wanted the "real" thing (and pirate flair of course, yes it all began there)..If the Trans Continental is a hit, who knows maybe the Harley brand will get invigorated with new affluent interest along with some pirate flair updates that align with hipster fashions.

As a side note, beginning with that first Virago Yamaha has really perfected V twin cooling.

The next 6 - 12 months will be exciting for all the Japanese brands.

Old Ryder
06-08-2017, 09:59 AM
What is the name of that company that had something like 8,000 great bikes sitting in their warehouse in the $23 K dollar plus range? They couldn't move them until they offered substantial discounts bringing them down to the $15 K range? Then they were able to move them as leftovers and many of us now ride them. Do you think, maybe it was some kind of tax write off plan?

What was the name of that company that just went out of business trying to sell $25 k bikes in a very limited high end market?

When will they ever learn only Harley can do that and It's mainly because of the sheep factor.

Is history destined to repeat itself?

Sounds like you are talking about my 1800 VTX, too. In 2008 I bought a new in crate 06 Spec 3 with a MSRP of over $14K for $8600 if I remember correctly--less than $9K out the door but I had to drive to NJ to get it.

Looks like a re-run with the B and the Valkyrie and CTX1300. Strangely enough I hear they can't build the African Twin fast enough.

smiley
06-11-2017, 12:36 AM
I'll stick with the wing myself, but it's a pretty good looking bike though. I'm with the others as far as the twin and the belt go. I would think they would have gone to a liquid cooled and shaft drive. The FJR 1300 is a great bike and it has it. About the V twin and liquid cooling I don't see why not. The HD V rod has it??????? Just my thoughts. But heck I'll ride any bike as far as that goes, but if I'm gonna be paying for it.........I'll ride with wings..........

VStarRider
06-11-2017, 10:14 AM
I'll stick with the wing myself, but it's a pretty good looking bike though. I'm with the others as far as the twin and the belt go. I would think they would have gone to a liquid cooled and shaft drive. The FJR 1300 is a great bike and it has it. About the V twin and liquid cooling I don't see why not. The HD V rod has it??????? Just my thoughts. But heck I'll ride any bike as far as that goes, but if I'm gonna be paying for it.........I'll ride with wings..........

As I mentioned, I find it strange that they have an entry level tourer/ bagger (VStar 1300 Deluxe) with a liquid cooled Vtwin, but they opted to have this one be air cooled, despite the price being double. Apparently, their market research indicates that American/North American buyers at this level really want the traditional air cooled twin.

opas ride
06-11-2017, 10:25 AM
As I mentioned, I find it strange that they have an entry level tourer/ bagger (VStar 1300 Deluxe) with a liquid cooled Vtwin, but they opted to have this one be air cooled, despite the price being double. Apparently, their market research indicates that American/North American buyers at this level really want the traditional air cooled twin.

Maybe so, but the air-cooled V-twin is cheaper to manufacture and lowers production and engineering costs.....

Steve 0080
06-11-2017, 08:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ8IfqL4zpw

Steve 0080
06-11-2017, 08:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaGKETTT_qU

STRaider
06-13-2017, 09:33 PM
If I were in the market to get a full dress bike again I would consider the Yamaha.I like the looks and it seems to have a great riding position to tour.Has every bell and whistle one could want.Decent warranty and competitive price for the market it shares.The only V twin I have ever owned was a 2005 Yamaha Roadstar and it gave me 80,000 trouble free miles.My buddy bought it and it now sits at 120,000 miles and burns no oil and no leaks so they know how to build a V twin engine.The only concern I would have is engine heat but they claim it has redirect venting.I think this one will do pretty well in the touring market.IMHO for what ever thats worth.

I agree. This bike is intriguing, but like most on here, I don't understand the air cooled and belt, but I would sure like to ride one. I really like the infotainment system, and I like the looks. I love my f6b, but let's face it, anyone with an f6b should not be focused on looks of a bike. Honda has put out some of the butt ugliest bikes in recent years I've ever seen. But they are honda's, enough said.

What puzzles me most about this bike is how can it be air cooled, belt driven, and weight 957 lbs?

Jimmytee
06-14-2017, 04:44 AM
I love my f6b, but let's face it, anyone with an f6b should not be focused on looks of a bike. Honda has put out some of the butt ugliest bikes in recent years I've ever seen. But they are honda's, enough said.

Really?:icon_rolleyes:
:shrug:

So you bought your F6B thinking it was ugly?

Ok. To each their own.

I wouldn't have bought mine if function was the only consideration. I think mine is sexy and definitely unique in a sea of "ME TOO" V-Twins. "coffee"

Steve 0080
06-14-2017, 07:27 AM
I have an appointment Friday to assist a member ordering the first one in F L A !!!!!

wjduke
06-14-2017, 07:56 AM
I get a ton of compliments on how cool looking it is. Of course, I did get one guy who asked if it was a scooter...

adventurous1
06-14-2017, 08:19 PM
Same motor as the old Roadliner and Raider, which were both belt drive. This one is a 6 speed, the other 2 were 5 speed. Lots of power and low end grunt. I've put several thousand miles on a Raider and a Roadliner, but, I'll stay with my F6 for now. Too much $$$$$$$

Use my B for touring and a custom liner for my puttin' around town or poser weekend friends. 65K miles on it and not a problem. It is one helleva an engine but G#D Damn - 25K? Waaaay to expensive. Believe it was one of the CEO's at Polaris who said upon purchasing the Indian brand. Victory is an amazing motorcycle but Indian is a brand. The new Yami is probably one helleva of bike BUT people spending that kind of money for a 'touring motorcycle' will be purchasing a Wing, BMW, and not into touring per se but enjoy a 300 mile weekend adventure - it's an Indian or HD. IMHO.

Believe the B would have sold thousands of bike had they priced it around 15 or 16K. It was too overpriced. Now they're a steal.

Redlinez
06-14-2017, 08:23 PM
And the new BMW bagger is $20k and talk about one heckuva bike with probably one of the best suspensions on the market. Other than the brand stigma (not everyone wants to be labeled a "BMW" guy), that's one tough bike to beat. 160hp??? That's one fun ride!

Python
06-15-2017, 03:56 PM
There demo truck is down the road this week end if not doing any thing might have to check it out, free ride free food no intentions of buying anything. Will report back on the test ride if I make it there.

Nomibagger
06-17-2017, 06:12 AM
I was a 1st gen venture owner and loved it. Moved to the F6B because they quit making the 1st gens. Now going to a vtwin? a move backwards in my mind. And air cooled? WTF? My opinion a true touring or sprots touring bike needs 4 or more cylinders and water cooled..........Guess i'll be riding my F6B for a llloooonnnnnggggggggg time(Snicker) oh whoa is me.

Jimmytee
06-17-2017, 07:05 AM
I was a 1st gen venture owner and loved it. Moved to the F6B because they quit making the 1st gens. Now going to a vtwin? a move backwards in my mind. And air cooled? WTF? My opinion a true touring or sprots touring bike needs 4 or more cylinders and water cooled..........Guess i'll be riding my F6B for a llloooonnnnnggggggggg time(Snicker) oh whoa is me.

Were you a first gen Venture owner? 1983 I think. My dad has a 89.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/epic_mcy/500/83_venture-Royale_600.jpg

unsub
06-17-2017, 12:39 PM
Thanks for posting that. A few years back I hummed and hawed on a "new" old stock. Ridiculously cheap. Left the store, decided I should jump on the deal and turned around to go back. Less than 30 mins later it was sold...probably to the guy I held the door for as I walked out the first time..lol

motozeke
06-17-2017, 02:19 PM
I'm with Jimmytee.
Missed Opportunity there. That Vmax motor is a beast. Would have been a lot more competitive to a wing.

I don't know, I suspect v-4s are just too thirsty for a touring rig. I got low-30s on my VFR800, and it's a much smaller engine in a much smaller bike.

And I have zero complaints about power from the flat 6. More power means more expense and more repairs, no thank you very much.

tiltingf6b
06-17-2017, 02:39 PM

Agree and besides air cooled v twins are never going to be as reliable as the water cooled 6. If your going to tour you want to do it on a cooler more reliable platform - me thinks the reverse aims the bike towards trike conversion platforms and sales.

VStarRider
06-17-2017, 09:53 PM
Speaking of the flat-6, it was interesting to see what Honda was thinking when they made the switch from a flat-4 in the 80s.

The GW kept getting heavier, and their efforts to squeeze out every drop of power from the Four was resulting is a reduction in smooth and vibration free power delivery, a hallmark of the GW power plants, and one of their original goals back in '75 when the original Wing was born.

So, they went to the Six, which they could keep as a SOHC two-valve per cylinder that still made strong power but without the vibration and raspy side effects from the tuned up Four.

That explains to me, fairly new to the Wing scene, why it has a low-tech Six...its about consistent, big power (though not sport bike power), but the minimal vibration and rough character that can come from too much tuning to too few cylinders.

Go ride any twin at 60 mph, then ride a Wing at 60, and you can see why they did what they did.

Hey Honda, just thrown in a 6th gear now to get 60 mph revs down to 2200!!

53driver
06-17-2017, 10:55 PM
Or 85mph below 3500 RPM.....

Python
06-18-2017, 07:49 AM
The only one they had was on the show room floor for sale. So much for the chance to ride one from the demo truck, the grill wasn't started yet for the free lunch. The model that they had on the floor must not of been their deluxe it had no rear speakers ,no fog lights and the salesman had some stuff of that's 1 of 3 in the country. It looked a lot wider then the F6B in the front didn't spend much time there as it was getting in to my day to do what i wanted to do.

BIGLRY
06-18-2017, 12:31 PM
Or 85mph below 3500 RPM.....Yea, wouldn't that be nice to turn about 2500 RPM at 80mph.......ah.......hum.......er........maybe not, this bike is so smooth I might just...........

http://cdn-media-1.lifehack.org/wp-content/files/2014/10/Fall-Asleep-In-30-Sec.jpg

wjduke
06-19-2017, 11:28 AM
I have to stop every 1-1/2-2 hours as it is to wake my self up!

stevenolts
06-20-2017, 09:23 AM
What your F6B doesn't have the option to punch in the coordinates, set an alarm, start the bike down the road and have it wake you up a few minutes before your exit or when low on gas?

I always us this as a joke about how great the bike is for traveling.

Steve