PDA

View Full Version : Done it now!

speedjunkie
06-08-2017, 09:39 PM
Unintended, but went DS today. My Stonet is lost in FedEx land and I had to leave today. Made last minute calls and ended up with a Hercules 655. Only thing that makes me squirm is in a corner that bounces, she likes to wallow around now, other than that, I don't even notice the difference. Im loaded down, so maybe need to stiffen the rear. It's not a RF, NO one in town had one in this size, oh well, 40psi & off we go!

Mike

willtill
06-09-2017, 04:47 AM
Welcome to the Darkside. :039: We have cookies :shhh:

speedjunkie
06-09-2017, 06:16 AM
Peanut butter or oatmeal raisin cookies?

Mike

willtill
06-09-2017, 06:34 AM
Peanut butter or oatmeal raisin cookies?

Mike

Peanut butter cookies. With the crossed fork imprint :icon_wink: That's old school :icon_biggrin:

As you probably know... play with the air pressure to find the "sweet spot" :yes:

willtill
06-09-2017, 08:03 AM
http://media.boingboing.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/tumblr_n9eqrkDgmy1txeruoo1_r4_500.gif

Steve 0080
06-09-2017, 05:02 PM
Take pressure to 44# (cold) and try that..... still better than sitting at home.

blackmetoc
06-10-2017, 09:41 AM
Take pressure to 44# (cold) and try that..... still better than sitting at home.

I am running about 46 on mine cold. 41 up forward on the MC tire.

speedjunkie
06-12-2017, 09:26 PM
I bumped it to 41.5 this AM and it's better during dive ins, but still a little sloppy when there's bumps in the turns.

Mike

bob109
06-13-2017, 05:16 AM
I bumped it to 41.5 this AM and it's better during dive ins, but still a little sloppy when there's bumps in the turns.

Mike

I have a General G-Max and found most of the "squirm" is gone at 43 PSI. Single ply side wall radials definitely require higher running pressures. You are in control so don't hesitate in experimenting with pressure, up or down:icon_wink:

speedjunkie
06-14-2017, 08:27 PM
My tire says 2 ply sidewall. I did bump it another 1/2 today & firmed up the shock 5 clicks Monday. Felt good today. I hate to say it, but the only ill effect I've really noticed is it's easier to stand it up off the side stand now. Otherwise I'm greatly impressed!

Mike

willtill
06-15-2017, 05:23 AM
My tire says 2 ply sidewall. I did bump it another 1/2 today & firmed up the shock 5 clicks Monday. Felt good today. I hate to say it, but the only ill effect I've really noticed is it's easier to stand it up off the side stand now. Otherwise I'm greatly impressed!

Mike

Those whom don't get it... Don't get it. :icon_wink:

speedjunkie
06-15-2017, 07:00 AM
I was one of those guys. Of course, on my HD I was getting 20k from tires, so no incentive to go DS. I honestly expected low speed handling issues, but there's been none really noticeable.

Mike

53driver
06-15-2017, 09:36 AM
So glad you are happy with it!

I'm one of the ones who, as Will puts it "doesn't get it."
I'm trying to find engineering data on lateral sidewall strength - I'm not easy on my tires.

Still looking....
Cheers,
Steve

bob109
06-15-2017, 10:22 AM
So glad you are happy with it!

I'm one of the ones who, as Will puts it "doesn't get it."
I'm trying to find engineering data on lateral sidewall strength - I'm not easy on my tires.

Still looking....
Cheers,
Steve

The key to a successful Dark Side Transition is, first having as much relevant information as one can find and digest. Only then is one confident and "at ease" with their decision. HAVING PEACE OF MIND BEFORE PULLING THE DARK SIDE TRIGGER is highly recommended. Once the trigger is pulled, ones seat of the pants experience and experimentation with air pressure (sweet spot) will usually "seal the deal":icon_wink: There is absolutely "no harm" in trying something out only to find one doesn't like the experience and returns to a cycle tire:shhh: Folks have different preferences to/for cycle tires! Throwing a CT into the mix, for nothing more than a experimental try, will cause no harm. Maybe a few bucks wasted that could have been spent on "Fine Spirits":icon_lol:

speedjunkie
06-15-2017, 08:44 PM
It's well worth the 100ish bucks as an experiment IMO.

Mike

53driver
06-15-2017, 09:43 PM
The key to a successful Dark Side Transition is, first having as much relevant information as one can find and digest. Only then is one confident and "at ease" with their decision. HAVING PEACE OF MIND BEFORE PULLING THE DARK SIDE TRIGGER is highly recommended. Once the trigger is pulled, ones seat of the pants experience and experimentation with air pressure (sweet spot) will usually "seal the deal":icon_wink: There is absolutely "no harm" in trying something out only to find one doesn't like the experience and returns to a cycle tire:shhh: Folks have different preferences to/for cycle tires! Throwing a CT into the mix, for nothing more than a experimental try, will cause no harm. Maybe a few bucks wasted that could have been spent on "Fine Spirits":icon_lol:

Bingo! And I'm not there yet.
Maybe too much time as the Quality Assurance Officer and senior check pilot for big ass helicopters? I dunno....

I'm working it though....
Cheers,
Steve

PS - there shall ALWAYS be fine spirits in my bar and flasks, regardless of what tire I'm riding!

willtill
06-16-2017, 06:08 AM
Maybe too much time as the Quality Assurance Officer and senior check pilot for big ass helicopters? I dunno....

Cheers,
Steve

PS - there shall ALWAYS be fine spirits in my bar and flasks, regardless of what tire I'm riding!

I think at the upcoming Rally... us Darksiders need to conjure up a support session; or an intervention for Steve. For someone whom piloted a contraption that was not meant to fly; (Helicopters can't really fly - they're just so ugly that the earth immediately repels them) a car tire on a motorcycle should really be a piece of cake for him....

:icon_mrgreen:

Jimmytee
06-16-2017, 04:23 PM

Cheers,
Steve

I'm with you there Steve except I have tried it and I am luke warm on it. I am currently Darkside on my Valkyrie. It will remain so until I wear it out, but I don't know that another car tire will find it's way back on there when that time comes.:duck:

On the B I have ridden pretty aggressively with some friends on their Wings where a couple ride darkside. Just my observation, but coming in very hard on some decreasing radius corners, their bikes seemed to be pushing a bit in the corners where I easily held my line. Now this was at rates of speed that most sane people are not riding at, but it was just an observation that jives with my own personal experience with riding darkside.:icon_cool:

thumper 549
11-25-2017, 05:13 PM
Corners with ball centered.

Truthfully- without a lot of fanfare I wish the car tire would be explained .
I am sure it is not the money, what is it?

willtill
11-25-2017, 06:34 PM
Corners with ball centered.

Truthfully- without a lot of fanfare I wish the car tire would be explained .
I am sure it is not the money, what is it?

Not sure what you're trying to convey. As you know (or should know) attachments on this site do not (nor possibly will never) work.

Please use a third party pic hosting site and unveil your presentation(s) :icon_wink:

thumper 549
11-25-2017, 07:06 PM
I for my part have zero for clues how to use a 3rd party.
I am just trying to reason out why the obsession, interest, satisfaction, in using a car tire.
What am I missing?
I am sure we all know the makeup of a supposed bike tire compared to a car tire.
I don't get it and I am not knocking anyone, do as you wish.
i just want to know ....why?

choptop
11-25-2017, 07:39 PM
I am only speaking for myself but a lot of miles by riders before me, w/all kinds of bikes determined that we could safely run a car tire on our motorcycles and along w/that discovery came a cheaper tire w/more mileage between changes , better stopping power and wet road traction w/few downsides. I ran a car tire for a while till I had a leak on the way down to the 2016 Rally, nobody would fix it and I didn't want the hassle of getting another one so just got a mc tire from the Honda dealer and will call it good till the next time. It's not for everybody, I like the mc tire tread look better than the car tire, but it is, by all accounts, a safe alternative to an expensive tire that wears out some what quickly. word:yikes:

DMAGOLDRDR
11-25-2017, 09:43 PM
I for my part have zero for clues how to use a 3rd party.
I am just trying to reason out why the obsession, interest, satisfaction, in using a car tire.
What am I missing?I am sure we all know the makeup of a supposed bike tire compared to a car tire.
I don't get it and I am not knocking anyone, do as you wish.
i just want to know ....why?

My reasons
My needs were for long trips and flat repair that can be done to car tire much safer than Motorcycle tire.
Better at heavy load handling (two up loaded on trips)
Better wet traction
No Cupping to deal with..
Softer ride

I am at about 70,000 miles on 4 different car tires on two different bikes.

thumper 549
11-25-2017, 09:57 PM
So to be a dark side rider...Do you also favor the straight line roads?
No caustic stuff being said here.
Just really curious.
I don't think with what little I know- that a car tire will hold a grip like a MC tire should and would.
Am a right?
wrong?

Jimmytee
11-25-2017, 10:31 PM
So to be a dark side rider...Do you also favor the straight line roads?
No caustic stuff being said here.
Just really curious.
I don't think with what little I know- that a car tire will hold a grip like a MC tire should and would.
Am a right?
wrong?

I have not gone dark side on my F6B, but I am DS on my Valkyrie. I can tell you this, that some of the guys I ride with are on car tires on their Gold Wings. We ride at some pretty crazy speeds in the twisties. I , myself, am not convinced enough to go Dark Side on my B yet, but I can tell you the car tires do grip. I just think they also push a little in the corners and I am not a big fan of that feeling. Mind you, we are riding at speeds most don't push these bikes.

thumper 549
11-25-2017, 11:27 PM
OK
So money is the answer here?
That is not good enough for me.
The car tire is cheaper and last longer.
OK-
The tradeoff of course is and has to have less traction.
We know an MC tire is a lot more sticky than a car tire.
On my bikes in which I ride two up and HEAVY ( Road king is the other one)
I am happy with anything over 8K on the rear.
Yes, i could buy a longer lasting tire, but i want the gription.
You guys have fun and do as you wish.
I hate broken bones and have had enough already.
i will stick with Avon cobras and the like.
Thanx for the insight.
Carry on.

valkmc
11-26-2017, 06:17 AM
OK
So money is the answer here?
That is not good enough for me.
The car tire is cheaper and last longer.
OK-
The tradeoff of course is and has to have less traction.
We know an MC tire is a lot more sticky than a car tire.
On my bikes in which I ride two up and HEAVY ( Road king is the other one)
I am happy with anything over 8K on the rear.
Yes, i could buy a longer lasting tire, but i want the gription.
You guys have fun and do as you wish.
I hate broken bones and have had enough already.
i will stick with Avon cobras and the like.
Thanx for the insight.
Carry on.

Money has little to do with it for me, I have roughly 100k on car tires on 3 different bikes. 98 Valk, 12 Wing and my F6. I have both a MC tire and car tire mounted and use both.

Benefits for me include:

Wet road traction- I live in Florida
Load capacity- I have gone cross country with the wife on the back pulling my 16 cubic ft tag along with all of HER stuff in it.

Run Flat-Had a Flat at work and road home 6 miles with zero pressure. Made me feel good later riding out west alone knowing I did not have to worry about a flat in places like Death Valley.

Panic Stop-practice them occasionally, might just be me but can stop quicker with the Michelin Alpin on the back.

Ride-Wife claims the ride from the back is smoother and quieter than with the OEM (which whines after a few thousand miles)

Last of all is mileage-not about $ though. I have Summer's off and have taken long trips (such as 12k in 6 weeks Florida to Alaska and back) It sucks having to have a tire change during a trip. Fronts last longer on my bikes and the car tire last much longer.

Add all of these up and the fact that I can hardly tell the difference and it makes sense to me.

It really boils down to a peace of mind. I like to be comfortable on my bike and I Am with either tire so I can see no reason not to use a car tire when I want. To each his own!!

thumper 549
11-26-2017, 06:44 AM
Maybe you guys are on to something.
IDK.
Also, I bet this subject is beat to shreds in other places, but I have to ask a few things and observe a few things.
Being MC tire manufacturers spend lots of cash on R&D for MC tires and all the different compounds
from the center of tire out to the sides for the lean angle, water, temperature etc.
It would be hard to grasp in my mind that a car tire
would hold better.
Plus, a car tire is a flat tread design.
I would think it would be all sorts of wiggly, HOT with the weight per sq inch compared to MC tire.
Most cars do not weigh over 800 lbs per tire anymore, so are you guys not exceeding its rated dimensions?
Too- to address the run flat-I carry a couple cans of flat fix with me
In 40 years, I have had only one flat on the road it as the front but a couple cans got me back home to the garage .
I am still interested, abate my points.
Carry on.

willtill
11-26-2017, 06:52 AM
Maybe you guys are on to something.
IDK.

Maybe? :icon_lol:

We are on to something. Been there, doing that.

C'mon thumper...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

speedjunkie
11-27-2017, 06:03 PM
Had nothing to do with money for me. I can say after running one, it was well worth it and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Mike

choptop
11-27-2017, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=willtill;160579]Maybe? :icon_lol:

We are on to something. Been there, doing that.

C'mon thumper...

https://youtu.be/oTz93Y-qeq0

And I will raise you a couple Shia's !:yikes: