PDA

View Full Version : Barber Motorsports Vintage Festival

1951vbs
10-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Rode to/from Birmingham, AL (about 800 miles round trip) for the Barber Motorsports Vintage Festival and a Museam tour. This is my 5th time there and if you have never been you should put it on your bucket list. The Vintage Fest is great, bike shows, vendors, vintage road racing, swap meet but it is worth the trip just to go to the museam. 5 stories of motorcycle history.

Cool Hand Luke
10-13-2013, 02:18 PM
Awesome! I will certainly plan a visit there in the future, hopefully next year.

1951vbs
10-13-2013, 02:25 PM
99% of the Motorcycles are brand new or restored to brand new. A few are old "as found" but they look almost new as well. You should go sometime if you are ever within a few hundred miles.

edgeman55
10-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Wow that place looks awsome.It is on my bucket list for sure-Thanks for the pics.

1951vbs
10-13-2013, 04:19 PM
V-12 Kawi/1951 Vincent Black Shadow (they have 10 or more Vincents)/ Indian 4/Vincent Amanda Water Scooter (1st personal watercraft)/Vincent Lawn Mower
They also have one of the largest collections of Lotus cars and many novelties including moto-toys and antique outboards. They have several CNC machines and have added a 3D printer to make parts for restorations. Pretty much something for everyone.
I already want to go back!

Cool Hand Luke
10-13-2013, 06:17 PM
Thanks again for all the great pictures, wish I was there. I hope New Polaris Indian comes out with four cylinder engine, now that would be very distinct!

bobbyf6b
10-13-2013, 06:35 PM
Great pics! I hope I can get out there someday.

MYSTER REE
10-14-2013, 06:30 AM
When is the festival held?

1951vbs
10-14-2013, 12:11 PM
When is the festival held?

Every year in early October (typically the week before Biketoberfest). I think next year will be the 10th aniversary. The vintage rally is really cool but there is getting to be a crowd. The museam is worth going to anytime. https://barbermotorsports.com/park/

MichaelG
10-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Mike, this would make a great place for an F6B gathering for next year.

Think about that...and "possibly" organizing it.

If you do...I "will" be there. You have my word on that ! :icon_cool:

Phantom
10-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Mike, this would make a great place for an F6B gathering for next year.

Think about that...and "possibly" organizing it.

If you do...I "will" be there. You have my word on that ! :icon_cool:

Great idea, if I can add to it ....

Labor Day Weekend is when many can get 3-4 days off from work to attend a Rally. Just a suggestion...... meeting at Barbers on Thursday around 11-12noon , departing from Barbers around 3-4 pm and arriving in Franklin around 8-9 pm ??? Enjoy the Smokey mountains Friday, Saturday and Sunday or ....... departing Franklin on Sunday around 8 am for Barbers Museum, arriving around 1-2 enjoy the museum and then a nice evening at a nice restaurant, departing monday morning for home ..... just a suggestion.

I have heard that this is a "MUST SEE" museum.

1951vbs
10-14-2013, 04:08 PM
Great idea, if I can add to it ....

Labor Day Weekend is when many can get 3-4 days off from work to attend a Rally. Just a suggestion...... meeting at Barbers on Thursday around 11-12noon , departing from Barbers around 3-4 pm and arriving in Franklin around 8-9 pm ??? Enjoy the Smokey mountains Friday, Saturday and Sunday or ....... departing Franklin on Sunday around 8 am for Barbers Museum, arriving around 1-2 enjoy the museum and then a nice evening at a nice restaurant, departing monday morning for home ..... just a suggestion.

I have heard that this is a "MUST SEE" museum.

I am all for having the rally HQ in Franklin on/around Labor Day again. Barber could be added as a stop before or after or even a day ride during the Rally. Could be kind of a "riding rally". I was just thinking anyone coming near Barber Motorsports or even within a few hundred miles of it should visit. The first day of/before the rally would be my choice. It is an easy ride from TX, GA, NC, FL,OH, WA and the lower mid-west but I am not the guy to plan it. If you remember, the 1st Rally was in my back yard and I was only able to spend 2 hours there! The only reason I came was to see if some of you thugs actually existed. I have an interesting job but need to be really flexible and balance riding with family, as most folks have to. It is all I can do to break away for Sturgis every year and I sometimes have to fly out to work for a few days during that. This is why I rode 400 miles to Barber spent 4 hours there and rode 400 miles back the same day. I am an instant opportunity rider. Ya'll plan it and I will try to come for a little while.:icon_biggrin:

Big Dawg
10-16-2013, 09:57 AM
I have been to Barber many times (my oldest son has raced there many times when he was in WERA and the AMA) and it is always a worthwhile trip for me. When I was there back in the early summer, the curator told me that Barber is the largest motorcycle museum in the world with many unique and one of a kind motorcycles. Presently they have over 1,300 bikes they are currently adding about 2 bikes a week to their inventory! They also proclaim that they have the largest collection of Lotus Race cars in the world. There are also plans in the very near future to expand the Museum over the race track for phase 2. The race track and the grounds around the facility are also extremely impressive. It is like the Disney World of motorcycling. The collection has grown so large that they cannot house all the bikes! The bottom floor is their restoration facility, complete with a full blown machine shop, sheet metal shop, and paint facility.

I will almost bet that any motorcycle that you ever owned, you will find one at Barber that is the twin to it. If you hustle through the museum, it will take a 1/2 a day! That means that you would have to look at 5~6 bikes a minute, not counting the cars and all the M/C art and related items. You really need to plan for a full day.

George Barber is an impressive collector!

It will blow your mind!