PDA

View Full Version : Shipping bike to Europe

jaygollner
06-12-2017, 10:53 AM
I am thinking of taking my bike to Europe next summer and so far the choices I have found are to expensive ($1,500 each way) or Air Canada about $800 each way plus airfare. With Air Canada I would need to ride from the Chicago area to Toronto first. Does anybody know of a better way?

opas ride
06-12-2017, 11:21 AM
I am thinking of taking my bike to Europe next summer and so far the choices I have found are to expensive ($1,500 each way) or Air Canada about $800 each way plus airfare. With Air Canada I would need to ride from the Chicago area to Toronto first. Does anybody know of a better way?
Leave the bike at home and rent one in Europe for your riding needs...I would suppose it would be much less hassle and cheaper?...Good Luck

BIGLRY
06-12-2017, 01:48 PM
Leave the bike at home and rent one in Europe for your riding needs...I would suppose it would be much less hassle and cheaper?...Good Luck
+1

Fingerz
06-12-2017, 04:50 PM
Rent the bike while Europe unless you are planning to stay in Europe for a long period of time.

53driver
06-12-2017, 08:31 PM
Length of time motorcycle is required is the fiscal operative here.
In England you can rent a decent sized bike (BMW 1100) for ~$120/day.
Not sure about anywhere else. Last summer, I was gong to ride around England, Ireland and Scotland for two+ weeks and that was right on the cusp of making me think about shipping.

jaygollner
06-13-2017, 07:58 AM
Since I was planning to stay at least a month the math does not favor renting, Prices I saw were over 4k.

opas ride
06-13-2017, 10:11 AM
Since I was planning to stay at least a month the math does not favor renting, Prices I saw were over 4k.
Is it necessary to ride every day???...Seems to me a week or so would be sufficient time to see what one needs to see...JMHO and I hope things work out for you...Ride safe

MarcPW
06-19-2017, 10:32 PM
Is it necessary to ride every day???...Seems to me a week or so would be sufficient time to see what one needs to see...JMHO and I hope things work out for you...Ride safe

Well, Europe is made up of many countries, so you might want to ride everyday and see as much as possible. Especially if you stay for at least a month.
My suggestions: Ireland, South of France, Croatia along the coast. All the passes in Switzerland, Austria and France. Germany for the Autobahn...