PDA

View Full Version : Progressive Monotube install

Rickc
06-12-2017, 03:09 PM
Ordered the Progressive Monotube cartridge fork kit and deciding whether to install myself or pay someone else to install.
I have read the directions and watched the video so do any of you who have done the install have any advice, suggestions or warnings.
Thanks in advance for any information.

cruzdog954
06-12-2017, 03:57 PM
Go to the dealership. They charged me about $300 and took them 3 hours. I can't imagine going at it alone. Plus you need new fork sealers and fluid.

Steve 0080
06-12-2017, 03:58 PM
I also paid $300 for the install...to important for me to chance on my ability! .batman-smilie.

Rickc
06-12-2017, 04:01 PM
Thanks Cruzdog, did you go to a Honda dealer? Neither local Honda dealer here had even heard of the Progressive Monotube.

Steve 0080
06-12-2017, 04:04 PM
Thanks Cruzdog, did you go to a Honda dealer? Neither local Honda dealer here had even heard of the Progressive Monotube.

Then I would RUN the other way...If you can do a service on the shocks then maybe.....

SierraKen
06-12-2017, 05:15 PM
If you are mechanically inclined you should be able to do this with the instructions. There is nothing hard about it, it just takes some time. I have done it twice on both my full wing and now my 6. Would recommend changing seals and bushings at same time since you have it apart.
The hardest part is removing the bottom bolt. I used a small impact drill and it comes out quite easily. dont start this project if you are not handy with tools and have used them on a motorcycle. Good luck with whatever you decide. Your bike will feel and handle much better after. Ride safe

Apache1
06-12-2017, 05:33 PM
I had the monotu es installed and it seemed much better, for a short period. Then my forks started squeaking when compressed and the bike started settling a couple inches when taken off side stand just like it did with stock setup. The forks compress a few inches shy of the bottom of the triple trees just with normal braking, nothing hard. The left fork started leaking (squirting) oil on each ride spraying back all over the front of the bike. It's back with the mechanic right now waiting on a response from Progressive. Went ahead and had rear progressive spring installed, hopefully this will tighten the bike up at higher speeds. Just turned 57k and the bike feels squirrelly at highway speeds, fingers crossed!

Steve 0080
06-12-2017, 05:39 PM
WOW!!! Sad to hear...You are the first I have heard of with this issue. Hopefully they can figure it out!

Apache1
06-12-2017, 05:49 PM
WOW!!! Sad to hear...You are the first I have heard of with this issue. Hopefully they can figure it out!

Yeah, me too! I've been trying to figure this out for awhile now, 65mph and up, with any wind or truck turbulence, the bike feels really squirrelly, very uneasy feeling! Did the bearings, then monotubes, and now the rear spring. Something has got to give, the thing feels horrible on long highway runs. Will update when I learn more.

Jimmytee
06-13-2017, 05:03 AM
Yeah, me too! I've been trying to figure this out for awhile now, 65mph and up, with any wind or truck turbulence, the bike feels really squirrelly, very uneasy feeling! Did the bearings, then monotubes, and now the rear spring. Something has got to give, the thing feels horrible on long highway runs. Will update when I learn more.

Well, just from the description of oil leaking, sounds like you had a fork seal failure. Either they were not changed which is a no no or maybe something improper was done like incorrect, read TOO much oil in the forks. With the Progressive Monotubes, the forks DO NOT have the same amount of oil in them as they did before. The measurement is crucial.

I did mine myself and changed the bearing in the head bearings. The Monotubes are not bad. Just make sure to get the measurement of the fork fluid correct by the instructions. Also I replaced the fork bushings along with new fork seals. Make sure to get the correct seals as the left and right seals are DIFFERENT. I also purchased a fork seal driver to correctly seat the new seals.

SO far I am very happy with mine with the combination Arnott Air Ride I installed in the rear. And the bike tracks like it is on rails way past 100 mph.

If you can get the above work done for $300 and you trust your mechanic to do the work, It might be worth it. I typically do my own wrenching, because one I'm not rich, two I don't have a lot of faith in other mechanics. Now the mechanic at my local shop is pretty good, but I defer to #1. Plus he had never done the Monotube Installation either and I figure I might as well be the one watching the You Tube video.:icon_lol:

Rickc
06-13-2017, 09:59 AM
Thanks for all the input. This might wait and be a project done this winter.

willtill
06-13-2017, 10:33 AM
I've completely disassembled my forks on my DR650 (and put them back together - thought I should add that in :icon_wink: ). I wouldn't have an issue of performing the same work on these F6B forks, especially after watching Progressive's video.

Rickc
06-13-2017, 10:39 AM
Thanks Mr. Willtill, I'm thinking I'll try doing it myself.
I have changed fork seals on old GL1000 and Triumphs. Not afraid to try.