PDA

View Full Version : Revco Pegs More Purple than BLACK

fl1madmax
10-13-2013, 04:53 PM
I just installed my Pegs I waited for 2 months to get will try to post picture, wrote them back and sent picture,
will see how they respond !2620

MichaelG
10-13-2013, 06:05 PM
I just installed my Pegs I waited for 2 months to get will try to post picture, wrote them back and sent picture,

MadMax...did you order the purple ones, or was that just luck of the draw that they sent you the purple ones ????:icon_rolleyes:

Also...serious question here: Are the Rivco highway footpegs anodized...or powder-coated ?

1951vbs
10-13-2013, 06:43 PM
MadMax...did you order the purple ones, or was that just luck of the draw that they sent you the purple ones ????:icon_rolleyes:

Also...serious question here: Are the Rivco highway footpegs anodized...or powder-coated ?

They are anodized and although black ano is usually black to start with is turns foggy and discolors pretty quick. That is one reason I purchased silver ano and also I wanted to satin finish my exhaust.

photodiver
10-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Mine that I just installed look the same.

F6B-RICH
10-13-2013, 08:10 PM
Had mine for a few months and yes in certain lighting they are purple color.

fl1madmax
10-13-2013, 08:46 PM

anodized, and I'm not happey, they feel great, Look like Sh__

Bruce B
10-13-2013, 09:05 PM
anodized, and I'm not happey, they feel great, Look like Sh__

That sucks. I'm going to have to take a closer look at mine tomorrow.

The alternative would be the Kurys. However, if my Kury Mini Boards are any example, the black paint will seem to flake off at high speed, like over 55 or so. The bottoms and edges of my boards are starting to look like I've been after them with a tack hammer. And I'm not on gravel roads.

Darkknight
10-14-2013, 08:18 AM
I installed mine back in the mid summer.It was the first production batches. Yep, it was visibly purple. I mentioned it here as soon as I installed them. I don't really notice them now but after shelling out the cash, I did expect perfection.
That what I get for having expectations...

F6BPDX
10-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Not that it shouldn't have been right in the first place, because it should have been, but has anyone looked into what it might cost to have theirs powder coated black?

Last time I checked with a local powder coating company about something I seem to recall it being fairly reasonable.

*Caveat - I have no idea how much the pegs were to begin with, but if functionally they rock and the only issue is the purple hue then maybe it's worth the extra bucks.

Grimster
10-14-2013, 01:56 PM
We chose to have the pegs anodized over powder coating because we feel that it is more durable. We asked them to try to match the valve covers as close as possible. Until yesterday, I only saw one other comment about the purple tint. We pulled 6 sets out of inventory and tried to duplicate the purple color. We didn't see any purple but did notice that the color changed in different lights.

We contacted the company that does our anodizing and asked them if there is anything that they would recommend. The only thing that we can think of would be to make them more glossy but that isn't going to match the valve covers. Since anodizing is a chemical process, it is hard to get the exact result every time. I will update everyone as soon as we hear back from the anodizing company.

John

fl1madmax
10-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Not that it shouldn't have been right in the first place, because it should have been, but has anyone looked into what it might cost to have theirs powder coated black?

Last time I checked with a local powder coating company about something I seem to recall it being fairly reasonable.

*Caveat - I have no idea how much the pegs were to begin with, but if functionally they rock and the only issue is the purple hue then maybe it's worth the extra bucks.

if I don't hear from them I'll tear them apart and have them Powder coated. Black.

fl1madmax
10-14-2013, 06:31 PM
We chose to have the pegs anodized over powder coating because we feel that it is more durable. We asked them to try to match the valve covers as close as possible. Until yesterday, I only saw one other comment about the purple tint. We pulled 6 sets out of inventory and tried to duplicate the purple color. We didn't see any purple but did notice that the color changed in different lights.

We contacted the company that does our anodizing and asked them if there is anything that they would recommend. The only thing that we can think of would be to make them more glossy but that isn't going to match the valve covers. Since anodizing is a chemical process, it is hard to get the exact result every time. I will update everyone as soon as we hear back from the anodizing company.

John

I was thinking what I could do to match, have you thought about asking Honda what they do so you could match
the valve covers, is it paint, Baked on Black ?

Darkknight
10-15-2013, 05:26 AM
Copied from "Accessories" page from 7/31/2013

A little different color Black
Well I got my pegs yesterday.
They took 7-10 minutes to remove the chrome plate and install the new pegs. The bike needs to be washed then I'll post some pictures.
I noticed in bright sunlight that my Rivco Pegs have a Purple tint to them. It's not noticable until it is installed next to the black valve covers. Still nice units.

Yeah they haven't changed much. Still purple. BUT I still love em.

gordonrule
10-15-2013, 06:52 AM
I've had my pegs since July and put almost 4000 miles on bike and I don't see any purple..

F6B-RICH
10-15-2013, 08:58 AM
I am very happy with the Rivco pegs.If the color ever bothers me I will just get them powder coated :icon_biggrin:

fl1madmax
10-15-2013, 09:12 AM
if I don't hear from them I'll tear them apart and have them Powder coated. Black.

He stated that they are talking to their Tool guy, and will let me know the out come, First Class Organization, I LOVE the
Pegs but if they don't Match, I'd rather go with Chrome, will wait and see what they say !

JimBob1
10-15-2013, 02:20 PM
Got my pegs back in July, noticed the purple tint then but installed them anyway because I liked the built in concept design that Rivco came up with. After 4 months, purple tint is till there and I guess I will have to just live with it! I believe I can!

fl1madmax
10-15-2013, 07:31 PM
Got my pegs back in July, noticed the purple tint then but installed them anyway because I liked the built in concept design that Rivco came up with. After 4 months, purple tint is till there and I guess I will have to just live with it! I believe I can!

He Said I had a choice return for another set of Black, or get Chrome for 10% off, I'm going to have them Powder coated, Satin Black, should match the Color perfect, so says my Power Coater....Will post pics when there done!!!!

buefchris
10-15-2013, 10:23 PM
I am very happy with the Rivco pegs.If the color ever bothers me I will just get them powder coated :icon_biggrin:

x2 Ya, I see a little purple coming though but over time if it gets too bad I'll just have them powder coated.No biggie

fl1madmax
10-18-2013, 07:06 AM

I removed my Pegs, Revco did say they would send me a new Set, but I think it would be the same thing after time, Powder Coating is harder
and should match the valve covers a lot better. $50, to have all 6 parts powder coated. Will Post pics when I reinstall them, I love the pegs
but hated the color, maybe you can buy them untreated and have them powder coated your self. Ride Safe............JB

Steve 0080
10-18-2013, 09:52 PM
The tolerances seem kinda tight...with there be room for the powder coating and still be able to open and shut the arms ?????

fl1madmax
10-19-2013, 07:19 AM
The tolerances seem kinda tight...with there be room for the powder coating and still be able to open and shut the arms ?????
I get them back Wednesday, and will put them back together and let ya know how it went, really a nice
engineering job when took them apart, Ride Safe !

fl1madmax
10-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Seems like after Revco sees these, they might want to change their Process, Black Satin is the Match !

MichaelG
10-22-2013, 03:44 PM
Seems like after Revco sees these, they might want to change their Process, Black Satin is the Match !

WOW ! That is a great match...NOW. To assist Rivco in making the change to a Black Satin Powder-Coating...I will "not" order the ones I want until Rivco makes this change...then I will buy 2 sets. One for my bike, and one to donate to the F6B gathering in Franklin for next year.

Rivco, did you hear that ? :duck:

fl1madmax
10-22-2013, 04:42 PM
WOW ! That is a great match...NOW. To assist Rivco in making the change to a Black Satin Powder-Coating...I will "not" order the ones I want until Rivco makes this change...then I will buy 2 sets. One for my bike, and one to donate to the F6B gathering in Franklin for next year.

Rivco, did you hear that ? :duck:

Its close to what it cost them to their process and Powder Coat is HARD, didn't have to do anything. as far as cleaning
threads or Spring and Nylon Ball Mount holes,comes apart in 6 easy to reassemble parts !

gordonrule
10-22-2013, 05:04 PM
http://www.saf.com/how-to-specify/how-to-decide-between-anodizing-painting-and-powder-coating/

Woody06
10-28-2013, 08:34 PM
I need your help. I test road the f6 and found that the foot position was not the best. The salesman mentioned that the addition of these highway pegs would help. Can you confirm the comfort level of your pegs? Thanks.......

Mike.........

F6B-RICH
10-29-2013, 09:02 AM
I need your help. I test road the f6 and found that the foot position was not the best. The salesman mentioned that the addition of these highway pegs would help. Can you confirm the comfort level of your pegs? Thanks.......

Mike.........

Mike I have had the Rivco pegs for about 700 miles already and I like them alot.I do have the Corbin seat and I am 6' 2" tall so they work good for me.There
is some adjustment on the Rivco pegs (I have them all the way forward) but I think some of the shorter riders on the forum said the Rivco pegs did not work
out good for them.

1951vbs
10-29-2013, 10:06 AM

Mike.........

I also found the F6B stock foot position to be a little too locked in. I installed KuryAykn drop mini boards and that made quite a difference then added the Rivco pegs and the combination is great. I have put about 3500 miles on them in the last month and have been very comfortable on all day rides. I think your inseam makes a big difference with the Rivco setup. I have a 33" inseam and had to move the Rivco pegs all the way back and still only have a little knee bend. My Russell seat probably sits me back an inch or so but if you have less than a 31" inseam I am pretty sure you will be straight legged or worse. I love the looks of the Rivco design. I got ano-silver to match my bikes satin finish chrome and exhaust. Hope this helps.

fl1madmax
10-29-2013, 06:54 PM

Mike......... See if you can get them untreated,Then take them to your local Powder coat guy and have them Powder coated Satin,they will match Perfect...JB

db24
12-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Anybody hear whether Rivco resolved the purple discoloration issue? I'd buy them if they have. Would also consider a used pair if in good condition.

GONRDN
12-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Just wonderful. Mine will arrive tomorrow. If I saw this post I would never have ordered them.:banghead:

db24
12-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Well, if yours look good let me know!

GONRDN
12-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Well, if yours look good let me know!

I'll definitely post for you how they look.

F6B-RICH
12-22-2013, 08:38 PM
If my Rivco pegs fell of the bike tomorrow while riding as soon as I get home I would order another set.They work great for me and the color is a none issue to me.The slight slight
slight hint of purple in the black is nothing very hard to notice :icon_biggrin:

BillyDaFinn
12-22-2013, 09:44 PM
If my Rivco pegs fell of the bike tomorrow while riding as soon as I get home I would order another set.They work great for me and the color is a none issue to me.The slight slight
slight hint of purple in the black is nothing very hard to notice :icon_biggrin:

This.......

YODA
12-22-2013, 10:50 PM
I have a set of the Rivco pegs on my Gold Wing installed in 2009, set full back. I have a 30" inseam and the stock saddle. The only problem I seem to have with them is my feet keep sliding off. Perhaps the early models had a shorter stirrup. Haven't seen the current generation except for photos which seem the same. The only other real complaint is the inability to deploy them on the fly. I liked the idea I read on another thread of installing a nut on the bottom in order to hook your boot sole to open while riding.

In reading about the new Ultimate saddle herein, I understand it seats you about an inch closer to the tank which may solve the problem of shorter inseamed fellers being able to effectively use the Rivco Aero pegs. I plan on ordering the Ultimate soon and will install the Gold Wing set on my F6 for a test comparison. I'll let you know.

Phantom
12-22-2013, 11:08 PM
I have a set of the Rivco pegs on my Gold Wing installed in 2009, set full back. I have a 30" inseam and the stock saddle. The only problem I seem to have with them is my feet keep sliding off. Perhaps the early models had a shorter stirrup. Haven't seen the current generation except for photos which seem the same. The only other real complaint is the inability to deploy them on the fly. I liked the idea I read on another thread of installing a nut on the bottom in order to hook your boot sole to open while riding.

In reading about the new Ultimate saddle herein, I understand it seats you about an inch closer to the tank which may solve the problem of shorter inseamed fellers being able to effectively use the Rivco Aero pegs. I plan on ordering the Ultimate soon and will install the Gold Wing set on my F6 for a test comparison. I'll let you know.

The NEW 2013 Rivco pegs are approximately 2" inches longer than the first ones produced 5 years ago.

YODA
12-22-2013, 11:52 PM
Excellent! That'll certainly solve the problem of slipping. Hopefully I had something to do with that. Had them installed at a Wing Ding, rode home and emailed the (I believe) original designer with my concerns/evaluations. This was pre-Rivco I also believe. He said "thanks" and would work on improvements. Never heard back, so I guess my, and perhaps others, comments were addressed with the longer peg.

GONRDN
12-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Installation was a breeze. Simple to the point. Didn't even need the directions. I loosened up the bottom peg nut just enough to deploy them with my workboots with no problems at all. These pegs are engineered with 100% precision. Fit is perfect. Finish, well the black coloring is alittle off. But I'm looking for functionality not bling. I can deal with it. Took bike around the block and I'm 100% positive I'm not sending them back. If they turn a purplish color, I'll just paint the entire bike the same color.:icon_lol:

Hornblower
12-23-2013, 03:49 PM
The only other real complaint is the inability to deploy them on the fly. I liked the idea I read on another thread of installing a nut on the bottom in order to hook your boot sole to open while riding.

Yoda, I have an idea for you on that. Pretty much, by accident, I discovered that a small "dot" of 3M Dual Lock material solved this problem. I'll explain...rather than having to drill and tap a hole to screw in a bolt, I decided to try some Dual Lock. If you're not familiar with it, it's an industrial-strength hook & hook material made by 3M. I stuck a dot of it on the underside of the peg tip and also stuck a small rubber tab on another dot of Dual Lock and pressed them together. This resulted in something that looked akin to the bolt with acorn nut approach but was a rubber tab instead. Unfortunately, the rubber tab side fell off and that left me with just the small dot of Dual Lock on the peg. To my surprise, that was all I needed to be able to open and close the peg with my shoe. Apparently, the hook surface alone of Dual Lock provides enough friction to enable opening and closing with just the top of your shoe. Sometimes, our best ideas are the result of an accident and that's exactly what happened here. :shock:

Cool Hand Luke
12-23-2013, 06:36 PM
The pegs have grooves machined on the underside. Pegs are designed to be opened and closed while riding, I do mine all the time. The trick is to reach under the peg with your toes and pull them outwards.

This isn't very intuitive. I asked the Rivco Owner at Wing Ding this year and he showed me how to do it. Now, it is a piece of cake.

Hornblower
12-23-2013, 07:05 PM
The pegs have grooves machined on the underside. Pegs are designed to be opened and closed while riding, I do mine all the time. The trick is to reach under the peg with your toes and pull them outwards.

This isn't very intuitive. I asked the Rivco Owner at Wing Ding this year and he showed me how to do it. Now, it is a piece of cake.

Are you referring to the long slot that runs the entire length on each peg? Otherwise, I see no "grooves" on my pegs.

1951vbs
12-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Are you referring to the long slot that runs the entire length on each peg? Otherwise, I see no "grooves" on my pegs.

Yes, that 1/4" groove is what you are supposed to flick with your toe.:icon_biggrin: It doesn't work for me either. Maybe if pound a finishing nail in the toe of my boot. To me it is no big deal to reach down to deploy the pegs. I love my Aero Pegs! They look cool and work as they should.

royr
04-25-2014, 07:21 PM
They are anodized and although black ano is usually black to start with is turns foggy and discolors pretty quick. That is one reason I purchased silver ano and also I wanted to satin finish my exhaust.
Did you or could you post a pic of your silver anodized Aero pegs?