PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to ride to work anymore

VStarRider
06-16-2017, 08:01 AM
Riding to work on my bike has become a stressor.

My commute is from the outskirts of Rochester, on mostly rural county and state highways with limited traffic, though I have a lot of cars coming at me as people head in to the city to work in the opposite direction that I am heading.

My commute in is 37.5 miles (75 round-trip), about 45-50 minutes long.

I guess I am posting this because I want to see how others feel about riding to work, and to be heard by others who will understand.

Here is what is stressing me out:

-I am drowsy in the morning, even after coffee, getting up at 5am to walk the dog a couple of miles before leaving around 7:00.
-I am tired in the afternoon, after dealing with people all day.

As a result of the two things above, I don't feel I can generate the focus I need to ride a motorcycle safely.

-My ride in is mostly east, ride home is mostly west. Therefore, I get the sun both ways.

-Riding the bike throws off my routine, so I usually forget something like my office keys, and one time, my wallet.

-I don't like leaving the bike out in the parking lot for 8+ hours, in full sun the whole time. I cover it, but that is something else that makes the whole experience inconvenient.

-Speaking of inconvenience, I sometimes go to three different buildings during my work day, involving transportation. It is much easier to this in a car vs. putting on a helmet, stuffing my briefcase in the saddlebag, etc, etc.

I am an analytical and detail person, so I keep track of how many times I ride the bike to work. Last year, I rode 62 times, including nearly every day in June. This year, only 14 total.

I bought the F6B as a 50/50 commuting/recreation bike. I rode 8,500 miles last year, with 5,000 of that accumulated from commuting.

Now I just don't want to deal with it anymore. It is taking away from the riding experience overall, with the lingering unpleasantness of commuting affecting my desire to ride at other times.

I even mix up the route home, heading up to Lake Road, which is a very nice ride along the shore of Lake Ontario. That makes it a little better, but often I can't wait just to get home.

Not only that, but now I have a bike that may only get 4000 miles/year riding when I spent a chunk of change on it to serve as commuter transportation. Good thing its a Wing, and I could have it 25 years without spending much on maintenance and repairs.

Anyway, just wanted to share this and am interested in what others think.

willtill
06-16-2017, 08:43 AM
You have stated some very good reasons for not wanting to use your bike as your main commuter.

Take a break from it as such, use it occasionally as a ride to and from work; on days that you feel better; both physically and mentally.

Riding a bike to work affects folks in the most opposite ways. To me (when I was regularly commuting to the office - 100 mile round trip) the bike was a welcome relief... to unwind from a stressful day. Hell... on some days it was the only thing that would actually make me want to come to work... the bike ride in. Once I got there... all I would think about is the ride back home. :icon_cool:

wjduke
06-16-2017, 09:03 AM
I wish I could commute....maybe if I did, I'd eventually feel this way. Commuting around here is a nightmare, so what I don't know is probably better. Mine is garaged a mile from work, so I wouldn't park it here everyday for that commute...only in moments of need right afterwards. The sun would irritate me also. I ride a lot more, so I satisfy my needs that way. Single and a renter, my weekends are free in riding season and the family knows it. It's definitely my medicine to calm me down. No real solace in my post, and the limited riding season you have does surprise me a bit, but I get it.

Jimmytee
06-16-2017, 09:08 AM
Sheesh. I wish I could sometimes commute on my bike. I have a company provided service truck/van. At least I am not paying for fuel and upkeep and get a new one every 100k miles, About 3 years.:icon_cool:

53driver
06-16-2017, 09:39 AM
Riding to work on my bike has become a stressor.
My commute is from the outskirts of Rochester, on mostly rural county and state highways with limited traffic, though I have a lot of cars coming at me as people head in to the city to work in the opposite direction that I am heading.
My commute in is 37.5 miles (75 round-trip), about 45-50 minutes long.
I guess I am posting this because I want to see how others feel about riding to work, and to be heard by others who will understand.
Here is what is stressing me out:
-I am drowsy in the morning, even after coffee, getting up at 5am to walk the dog a couple of miles before leaving around 7:00.
-I am tired in the afternoon, after dealing with people all day.
As a result of the two things above, I don't feel I can generate the focus I need to ride a motorcycle safely.
-My ride in is mostly east, ride home is mostly west. Therefore, I get the sun both ways.
-Riding the bike throws off my routine, so I usually forget something like my office keys, and one time, my wallet.
-I don't like leaving the bike out in the parking lot for 8+ hours, in full sun the whole time. I cover it, but that is something else that makes the whole experience inconvenient.
-Speaking of inconvenience, I sometimes go to three different buildings during my work day, involving transportation. It is much easier to this in a car vs. putting on a helmet, stuffing my briefcase in the saddlebag, etc, etc.

I am an analytical and detail person, so I keep track of how many times I ride the bike to work. Last year, I rode 62 times, including nearly every day in June. This year, only 14 total.
I bought the F6B as a 50/50 commuting/recreation bike. I rode 8,500 miles last year, with 5,000 of that accumulated from commuting.
Now I just don't want to deal with it anymore. It is taking away from the riding experience overall, with the lingering unpleasantness of commuting affecting my desire to ride at other times.
I even mix up the route home, heading up to Lake Road, which is a very nice ride along the shore of Lake Ontario. That makes it a little better, but often I can't wait just to get home.
Not only that, but now I have a bike that may only get 4000 miles/year riding when I spent a chunk of change on it to serve as commuter transportation. Good thing its a Wing, and I could have it 25 years without spending much on maintenance and repairs.

Anyway, just wanted to share this and am interested in what others think.

I commuted on my motorcycle whenever the temp was above 20 degrees and the roads were dry.
My commute was only 17 miles, but there were 42 stoplights (yes, I counted several times) and lots of two lane streets so my commute was 45 - 50 minutes as well.

For starters: I understand your sentiments perfectly.
Now for my morning commentary on your predicament......
I want to get one thing out of the way: for me, riding is not about me vs the bike and then me vs the bike vs the world. Riding is me AND Isleen vs the world.

Physical vs emotional fatigue:
- If I walked a couple miles each morning, I'm pretty sure I'd be 'exercised' enough to maintain focus on the bike. Exercise does that to me. Might physically fatigue me, but my mind gets more alert.
- I was never physically tired in the afternoon, but 'emotionally drained' from dealing with people? You betcha. These people could suck the life out of anyone......
- I never found my bike commute to be physically challenging and I would look forward to riding her home. Like you, I had several different routes just to mix it up and see what was going on elsewheres.....
- Separate emotional & physical fatigue as it applies to riding. They affect people differently. For me, I don't find riding physically challenging, and I've learned to stuff emotional crap into its "box" before I ride.

Routine...
- My morning routine was up at 6. S, S, S, S, eat breakfast/coffee and out the door. No exercise. Philly drivers will keep you on your guard though.
- Wearing a uniform and then after I transitioned, wearing a coat & tie (same building) was no factor and I didn't have to transition to other buildings on the compound where I couldn't walk.
- Every time I leave the house, I tap 3 pockets looking for the critical 3 Ps: plastic (wallet), phone, piece.
- My cage vs bike routine never changed in the prep work inside the house. In fact, I would often head to the barn not knowing if I was riding or driving.

Bike outside all day:
- Yeah, I didn't like that either.
My assigned parking spot was by the smoking area so there would be people gathering around Isleen, Saorla, or "Cherries & Cream" (red & white 98 Valk) with cigarettes in their hands.
Made me nervous. The sunlight wasn't good either and yes, I concur that a cover or even a half cover is a PITA.

Analytics:
- My bikes all have logbooks where everything that happens to the bike gets documented.
- Every fill up with mileage, every time I roll over a 1000 mile marker, every maintenance action, every mod.
- So yeah, I get that part too.

Passion for riding:
- I've read many of your posts over the years and you are passionate about riding, about being a better rider.
- Like me, you can analyze & "nit-noid" to the microscopic level, but at the same time, get emotional about doing it right & proper the first time through.
- You are concerned about safety as well (with posts that have proven this) - and that is obviously the number one priority. If you think you are setting yourself up for being unsafe, it's time to step back and review.
Personally? I think you are better in this category than you think you are, but in reality what I think doesn't matter.

Bottom line: Let the light of your passion for riding shine on your morning commute.

Riding vs Commuting:
VStarRider, I write this with love and respect: "Do not let your analytical mind associate/link pleasure riding and commuting."
Thinking of your bike more as a partner in life's journey (like a favorite pocket knife or every day carry weapon) rather than a transportation conveyance might help. Might not.
People think I'm crazy for naming my bikes and projecting personalities into them. If flying large helicopters taught me anything, it is that machines that are identical & somewhat complex can behave VERY differently and those differences must be factored into the equation. Giving them a personality helps that.

Whether commuting or leisure riding, I'm with my girl. We are dancing. We are a team. We are ready to take on whatever life throws at us and take it on with a smile on our faces.

Please allow yourself to take your riding to the ethereal level.
Reading "Calvin & Hobbes" helps too.

Time for more coffee.....
Cheers,
Steve

willtill
06-16-2017, 09:46 AM
.....Snip.....
My morning routine was up at 6. S, S, S, S, eat breakfast/coffee and out the door. No exercise. Philly drivers will keep you on your guard though.
....End of Snip....

I know what three S's are... what's the fourth one?

Sex? :icon_wink:

53driver
06-16-2017, 09:53 AM

Sex? That would be morning exercise....nope.

Sh*t, Shower, Shave, Shine.
I know you aren't so young as to never had to shine your boots. Lol.

opas ride
06-16-2017, 09:59 AM
Never enjoyed riding my bike to work..Traffic was bad, weather was always a gamble, hated to leave bike in employee parking lot as it was covered with dust/dirt by end of day, and it just became a "royal pain in the ass"...Love to ride and have been doing so for over 50 years, but no fun for me if I am stressed going back and forth to work...Life is to short to be miserable on a bike!!...JMHO

gregj
06-16-2017, 10:06 AM
I've been around bikes for 50 years. I commute daily on my 6. Almost 100mi round trip daily. I put about 25K a year on just commuting. To me, it helps keep the stress of commuting in the Northern Va/DC area down. I can take HOV, I get 35+ mpg (versus 17 in my diesel truck), I can zip in and out of traffic when necessary. Yes it can be more stressful at times, and damned new dangerous. One downside, after 500 mi in the saddle, come the weekend there are a lot of other things I would rather do than ride.

YMMV, and you need to do what makes you happy. Good luck with your decision. 'riding'

Circle-5
06-16-2017, 10:18 AM
"Philly drivers will keep you on your guard ...". That's a step up from L.A. drivers, who are basically trying to kill you. Thankfully, road rage shootings have slowed down, but turn signals are now unfashionable, even untrendy. Switching lanes is something they do whenever there is one car length of empty space available, plus one inch. If you are still sleepy when you get on the road, you will be wide awake 60 seconds into your freeway commute, splitting lanes for endless miles of total gridlock, packed with texting addicts, uninsured illegals and swerving Prius drivers (who are the most important people in the world, FYI). The girth of the F6B adds to the adrenaline rush, while you guesstimate the elevation of hundreds of rear-view mirrors on both sides.

Sometimes you get lucky following a Highway Patrol bike – then it's like Charlton Heston parting the Red Sea: cars will politely move to either side while you give them a California wave of gratitude. Everyday commute becomes a blessing, when you reach your destination and are still alive! I have started collecting some of my best Innovv motorcam videos (when the bloody DVR doesn't crash) and hope to post an edited video of the whackos and the crazies at some point. L.A. traffic will definitely sharpen your riding skills!

RLatt
06-16-2017, 10:47 AM

Since he has been in uniform in the past - I'm guessing shoeshine

DMAGOLDRDR
06-16-2017, 12:02 PM
I've been riding for about 40 yrs and although average 12-14,000 miles a year I very seldom ever ride my Motorcycles to work during the week. Although I will ride the old 78 GL1000 in from time to time on a nice Saturday.

My riding is my sanity and riding to work constantly makes it more of a task. Dealing with other commuters and rush hour traffic means constant focus and very little "wind down" time on the way home.

I can't see myself riding home from work then jumping back on to ride out and meet friends for Coffee or Dinner or a ride out to a local bike night.

DTOM
06-16-2017, 03:18 PM
My commute is only 20 min...10 if everyone would get the hell out of my way! Don't they know the road is mine? :icon_razz: Ok, I don't own the road all by myself, but when I ride I like to feel as if I do. Commuting on my six just sucks the fun out of what the machine is capable of and what it is meant to do. Cars, traffic lights, 35 mph speed limits, etc are just not fun. I was recently on a road trip and while in Idaho I had maybe my favorite ~120 mile stretch of all time. We rode from Ketchum, ID to Challis, ID mirroring the Salmon River without seeing a single car on the road. Now that, my friends, is how it should be!

BillyDee
06-16-2017, 04:05 PM
Ride to work daily, I'm so lucky, rural road, farms and lakes right into our little industrial park.

Having to put the bike up for winter and cold is the suck part.

Dirtstiff's F6B
06-16-2017, 06:36 PM
My commute is only 20 min...10 if everyone would get the hell out of my way! Don't they know the road is mine? :icon_razz: Ok, I don't own the road all by myself, but when I ride I like to feel as if I do. Commuting on my six just sucks the fun out of what the machine is capable of and what it is meant to do. Cars, traffic lights, 35 mph speed limits, etc are just not fun. I was recently on a road trip and while in Idaho I had maybe my favorite ~120 mile stretch of all time. We rode from Ketchum, ID to Challis, ID mirroring the Salmon River without seeing a single car on the road. Now that, my friends, is how it should be!

My commute to work sucks, 30 yrs now. But the sweet summer - fall rides make up for most of it.

Undoubtedly one of my favorites also. It's much like Lolo Trail from Lewiston to Bozeman. http://www.her-motorcycle.com/Lolo-Pass.html

Blk6bgg6
06-16-2017, 07:30 PM
Hey Vstar I hear ya.I ride to work occasionally,why . Well , I'm on the road bout 4:45 and I'm tired.sometimes forget to get jacket etc. Ready.ohh,and don't forget the deer in the dark.also when coming out of the building it's raining,I know some of you guys ride in the rain,not me unless surprised by it.

Ewreck
06-16-2017, 07:52 PM
I retired 3 years ago so I don't sweat driving ANYTHING to work.

edgeman55
06-16-2017, 08:24 PM
Work whats that all about-I know just another wise ass retired guy rubbin it in.When I was employed and living in Northern California I commuted 130 miles round trip from west of Santa Rosa to San Francisco.Tried to wear out a 1100,1200 and a 1500 Goldwing over 28 years of burning up tires on Hwy 101.I worked a 4-12 shift most of those years to avoid traffic-when I was going in all the day workers were going the other way.Ride home at night was very relaxing with few people on the road.Going thru the city and fog were the two things that at times would make my arss pucker.After about 200,000 miles I was able to retire and do not miss that commute at all.Now I live in Northern Nevada and get to ride for fun when these old bones feel like it.

Old Ryder
06-17-2017, 06:51 AM
20 minutes each way. Go in at 8 so I leave about 7:30. Little traffic.few nice curves. No stoplight. I ride a few days a week. Not all of the time just to switch it up.

3Chief
06-17-2017, 07:14 AM
I commute nearly everyday regardless of the weather. About 14 miles each way now. There's a dual purpose for me in it...I luv to ride regardless of the reason and I'm not senior enough to get reasonable parking. The only lot I can get a pass for is close to a mile walk by the time you weave around everything. MC parking isn't assigned and I can get a lot closer. Of the 70k on my VTX probably 50k are commuting, my Vstar before that was a similar ratio and on the B 5k of the 8k are commuting. I spent nearly 6 months in Japan walking to work so it's a bit low...:icon_wink:

copper
06-17-2017, 08:17 AM
I commuted on my motorcycle whenever the temp was above 20 degrees and the roads were dry.
My commute was only 17 miles, but there were 42 stoplights (yes, I counted several times) and lots of two lane streets so my commute was 45 - 50 minutes as well.

For starters: I understand your sentiments perfectly.
Now for my morning commentary on your predicament......
I want to get one thing out of the way: for me, riding is not about me vs the bike and then me vs the bike vs the world. Riding is me AND Isleen vs the world.

Physical vs emotional fatigue:
- If I walked a couple miles each morning, I'm pretty sure I'd be 'exercised' enough to maintain focus on the bike. Exercise does that to me. Might physically fatigue me, but my mind gets more alert.
- I was never physically tired in the afternoon, but 'emotionally drained' from dealing with people? You betcha. These people could suck the life out of anyone......
- I never found my bike commute to be physically challenging and I would look forward to riding her home. Like you, I had several different routes just to mix it up and see what was going on elsewheres.....
- Separate emotional & physical fatigue as it applies to riding. They affect people differently. For me, I don't find riding physically challenging, and I've learned to stuff emotional crap into its "box" before I ride.

Routine...
- My morning routine was up at 6. S, S, S, S, eat breakfast/coffee and out the door. No exercise. Philly drivers will keep you on your guard though.
- Wearing a uniform and then after I transitioned, wearing a coat & tie (same building) was no factor and I didn't have to transition to other buildings on the compound where I couldn't walk.
- Every time I leave the house, I tap 3 pockets looking for the critical 3 Ps: plastic (wallet), phone, piece.
- My cage vs bike routine never changed in the prep work inside the house. In fact, I would often head to the barn not knowing if I was riding or driving.

Bike outside all day:
- Yeah, I didn't like that either.
My assigned parking spot was by the smoking area so there would be people gathering around Isleen, Saorla, or "Cherries & Cream" (red & white 98 Valk) with cigarettes in their hands.
Made me nervous. The sunlight wasn't good either and yes, I concur that a cover or even a half cover is a PITA.

Analytics:
- My bikes all have logbooks where everything that happens to the bike gets documented.
- Every fill up with mileage, every time I roll over a 1000 mile marker, every maintenance action, every mod.
- So yeah, I get that part too.

Passion for riding:
- I've read many of your posts over the years and you are passionate about riding, about being a better rider.
- Like me, you can analyze & "nit-noid" to the microscopic level, but at the same time, get emotional about doing it right & proper the first time through.
- You are concerned about safety as well (with posts that have proven this) - and that is obviously the number one priority. If you think you are setting yourself up for being unsafe, it's time to step back and review.
Personally? I think you are better in this category than you think you are, but in reality what I think doesn't matter.

Bottom line: Let the light of your passion for riding shine on your morning commute.

Riding vs Commuting:
VStarRider, I write this with love and respect: "Do not let your analytical mind associate/link pleasure riding and commuting."
Thinking of your bike more as a partner in life's journey (like a favorite pocket knife or every day carry weapon) rather than a transportation conveyance might help. Might not.
People think I'm crazy for naming my bikes and projecting personalities into them. If flying large helicopters taught me anything, it is that machines that are identical & somewhat complex can behave VERY differently and those differences must be factored into the equation. Giving them a personality helps that.

Whether commuting or leisure riding, I'm with my girl. We are dancing. We are a team. We are ready to take on whatever life throws at us and take it on with a smile on our faces.

Please allow yourself to take your riding to the ethereal level.
Reading "Calvin & Hobbes" helps too.

Time for more coffee.....
Cheers,
Steve

I picked up the F6B to replace an M109r that I found wasn't filling my needs. I had bagged & faired the M109 ("Candy was her name, after her color) to be able to carry stuff to & from work essentially, but it wasn't good at wind management like I had hoped. So along came the 'B, "Jetfire" (named after the black SR-71 in Transformers II).

On a side note, my personal riding experience is quite different from being on a Harley at work. Riding at work, when I was able to do so, came with a 'kid in a bubble' effect. Everyone stayed the hell away from you, because they were afraid you were going to pick them out of the crowd. But I have found that being on a big bike (like a bagged & fairing-ed M109 or an F6B) helps with visibility & lane position. Car's are more likely to see you & less likely to move into your lane.

The upgrade definitely got me what I wanted in a bike. My commute was occasional, only on days where it was going to be dry. My commute was opposite to yours, sun wise - west in the AM, eastbound in the afternoon. My commute in was freeway and street riding, about 30-35 mins. My commute out of the city was 45-90 minutes, depending on afternoon traffic & whether I was on Jetfire or my Jeep. But once out of the city, the bike permitted me onto the HOV lane, which reduced my commute by as much as 15 mins some days. I also parked my bike in the employee parking outside, but I would never cover it. The bike got more filth on it during the commute than it would ever get sitting still in the parking lot.

Like many who ride through traffic in commutes, mine was a "Ride to Live" mentality, it's not relaxing at all. It's a challenge in itself. When riding in the city, I am (or I feel I am) on constant high alert because of the possible dangers & risks that go with 'running with cagers'. But the alternative to commuting to work on the bike was commuting in my Jeep. And after work, most days, there was not much of a chance of me getting out for a ride midweek anyway.

VstarRider, not sure that I have any solutions for you, but I empathize with you. Like Steve, above, I find myself to be more regimented in my collection of things before heading out to work so as to not forget anything. I put all of my necessaries in the same pockets every time, & then I do a final 'patdown' of all of those pockets while I am seated & waiting for Jetfire to warm up.

'Jetfire' got me into the HOV lane & moving, for which I was always grateful. For most folks, getting 'busted' for HOV lane, cell phone, or excessive speeding (here it's a huge ticket & a mandatory 7 day vehicle impound) violations would mean just a ticket, or ticket & impound. Due to my work position, if I was to get busted for those it would also likely include a disclosure to the media & a spotlight in local news, so I took great care to avoid being in that kind of spotlight.

I retired from that position about 2 months ago, largely because I didn't want to keep up with that commute, & my pension was maxed out already. For the past 2 summers, most of my mileage (6,000 miles/yr) was commuting to & from work. But I wasn't judging myself because of it. This year, I've already got over 5,000 miles in since May 1st, but that was due mostly to a ride to Vegas & back last month.

But I still ride in and around the city every chance I get, because I would rather ride Jetfire than go into the city in my Jeep [so named "Gunny" - 'because Gunny can do everything a S/Sgt can do - just better' :icon_wink: ]. If I have to pack things in to the city that I can't pack in the F6B, or it's pissing rain, then I'll take the Jeep. Not much has changed that way, even once retired.

I empathize with you. I don't think many of us that did or do commute feel much different about it than you do. But I find it was way better on an F6B than in a cage. So much so that I still ride in to the city when ever I get the chance.

Best,
C

53driver
06-17-2017, 08:52 AM
And I thought *I* was analytical !! ;)

That was between my first & second cups of coffee.....under those circumstances, there have been many lengthy diatribes penned on these hallowed pages by yours truly.
Oh the joys of retirement coupled with the excitement of waking up every morning thinking "YESSS! I've been granted another 56,000 seconds to make peoples' lives more surreal!"

Back to my oatmeal....

Cheers,
Steve

scottarkon
06-17-2017, 09:33 AM
I would say, you know yourself best. If it's stressing you out, don't commute on a bike. Take it on the days you feel up to the extra effort. It sounds like your commuting on the bike to justify the purchase. Maybe in the beginning that was important?

I stopped riding for about a 1.5 year stretch because it wasn't fun anymore. I had other things in life that were going on and when I went to ride it wasn't having the usual de-stressing effect. It was the opposite. I felt like I was fighting the traffic and elements and i'd come home more fatigued. It was all mental energy. It upset me because i'd ridden for over a decade with none of these issues. What was wrong with me?? I sold my bike and said, well I guess i'm just not into it anymore. I went a year without thinking about motorcycles at all. And then the bug started again. I picked up another bike and riding has been fun again the last 7 years. I guess I just needed to get through that time in my life.

tiltingf6b
06-17-2017, 03:02 PM
After being hit by a car doing over 50 MPH while riding my bicycle 9 years ago - I vowed to never give up two wheels because of fear.
Everyday parts of my body hurt - the ride helps, it eases the pain
everyday I struggle with dickhead cagers but I remember I ride for me and they make me more alert
sometimes, esp in the morning brain fog, just standing the bike up off the kickstand can be a chore - but it reminds me to exercise and eat better and I am healthier because of it.
I complain to myself everytime I put on all my cycle gear - then I remember WTH I can still dress myself after doing the tango with a 5400 pound car and it's because of all that gear i'm alive.
Yeah the bike covers are a PITA but they keep the cats from pissin on my seat and the sun from fading my blue paint that I enjoy polishing because it gets me away from the boob tube and other non constructive things.
I could keep detailed records but why? I know when my warranty is toast, I know when I need service, I know when to replace my tires... I know so I go.

Miks
06-17-2017, 04:10 PM
I ride the motorcycle to work as many days as possible.

Compared to driving the car, I can cut about three to five minutes off the drive, as I take a route that has more starts/stops, but the bike can accelerate and brake fasater, and I can mix into traffic a lot easier on the bike.

In addition...i just love the smell of the morning grass, trees, and the outdoor feel. For the ride home, it is just as enjoyable.

Perhaps the F6B is too large of a bike in commuter traffic? I take my Honda CB500X to work more than the F6B, which I do so due to the lighter weight and easier to maneuver in traffic style.

VStarRider
06-17-2017, 09:26 PM
So much good advice in this thread, it turned out better than I expected. Thanks, everyone.

Just to clarify, the "tiredness" I referred to in the morning is not due to eyes open at 5am or the two mile walk...just groggy from probably not going to bed at a time that corresponds with the alarm clock going off the next morning.

It is more emotional fatigue in the afternoon. All the cars coming at me (not much traffic with me)...I can't maintain the level of focus I feel is necessary to be a safe rider.

Steve pointed out something that I am betting is true...my analytical nature is interfering with the pure enjoyment of motorcycling. Being an analytical pays dividends at work, but often is a hinderance when it comes to anything emotional.

I took an 85 mile ride tonight. I actually felt myself leaning back and enjoying the breeze for the first time in a long time this evening. What led to that? No rush, no heavy traffic coming at me or with me, great scenery, lots of cruising, less stopping and shifting.

What a relief it was to feel good on a bike again.

I will probably continue to commute on the bike - on a part time basis - perhaps once or twice per week when I am in one building for the day, feel good in the morning, and can sneak out a few minutes early to enjoy a different route home.

53driver
06-17-2017, 10:53 PM
:icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_bi ggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

mtcgun
06-17-2017, 11:07 PM
If you're that tired before and after work, I dont think i'd want you driving in a car around me either. :shrug:

tiltingf6b
06-18-2017, 02:09 PM
So much good advice in this thread, it turned out better than I expected. Thanks, everyone.

Just to clarify, the "tiredness" I referred to in the morning is not due to eyes open at 5am or the two mile walk...just groggy from probably not going to bed at a time that corresponds with the alarm clock going off the next morning.

It is more emotional fatigue in the afternoon. All the cars coming at me (not much traffic with me)...I can't maintain the level of focus I feel is necessary to be a safe rider.

Steve pointed out something that I am betting is true...my analytical nature is interfering with the pure enjoyment of motorcycling. Being an analytical pays dividends at work, but often is a hinderance when it comes to anything emotional.

I took an 85 mile ride tonight. I actually felt myself leaning back and enjoying the breeze for the first time in a long time this evening. What led to that? No rush, no heavy traffic coming at me or with me, great scenery, lots of cruising, less stopping and shifting.

What a relief it was to feel good on a bike again.

I will probably continue to commute on the bike - on a part time basis - perhaps once or twice per week when I am in one building for the day, feel good in the morning, and can sneak out a few minutes early to enjoy a different route home.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

OlyF6B
06-18-2017, 11:45 PM
If I drive to work it takes 20 min. If I take bike... 20 min. But coming home, it typically takes about 90 min. cuz I tend to take the long way via back roads. Commuting by motorcycle blows! cheers::cheers::cheers:

dezzertrider
06-20-2017, 12:34 AM
When I ride my motorcycles, I want to get out on the road as far away as I can from cars, traffic lights, people texting on their phones etc. On Saturday mornings I always leave early and when I get out on the road there is often no one in front of me or behind me. That is the way I like to ride. I commute to work sometimes, but it is actually not much fun. I can get to work in about 15 minutes which is not nearly enough bike time and I have to watch out for all the morning commuters in a hurry to run me over. For the most part, commuting on my bike is stressful and that is not why I ride.