PDA

View Full Version : Heated Grips Not Working

kjelders
10-13-2013, 07:25 PM
It appears I will be taking the bike in for a warranty issue. The heated grips switch lights up and will cycle through the different settings. However, there is no heat on the grips.

Steve 0080
10-13-2013, 10:58 PM
Strange...I would not know where to start looking ??? Broken wire somewhere ?

Deer Slayer
10-14-2013, 08:05 AM
My first WAG would be the plugs. Most things like that when checked were plugs not fully seated or an individual wire not seated in the plug. One time I found a wire in a welder that had never had the insulation removed before the pin was crimped to it. Most problem solvers have gray hair. Good luck.

F6B-RICH
10-14-2013, 08:33 AM
Went riding yesterday(Sunday) a little nippy in the morning and I could have used/tried mine out to see if they work but of course :icon_doh: I completely forgot I have them.Never owned a bike with heated grips :banghead:

motozeke
10-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Went riding yesterday(Sunday) a little nippy in the morning and I could have used/tried mine out to see if they work but of course :icon_doh: I completely forgot I have them.Never owned a bike with heated grips :banghead:

I will never own a bike without them. Fortunately they aren't that difficult to install. Just remember people--DON'T WIRE THEM DIRECTLY TO YOUR BATTERY. Use a relay.

Scotrod
10-14-2013, 12:10 PM
:icon_twisted:
Heated grips, heated jackets, heated britches, heated socks,,, Good gawd!

(Well, I gues if I paid for it, I'd expect it to work,, :icon_biggrin:)

Gotta ask,,,,, Fuse?

kjelders
10-16-2013, 10:13 AM
:icon_twisted:
Heated grips, heated jackets, heated britches, heated socks,,, Good gawd!

(Well, I gues if I paid for it, I'd expect it to work,, :icon_biggrin:)

Gotta ask,,,,, Fuse?

Not the fuse. I take it in to the dealer Saturday to have them check it out.
I don't use any heated gear myself. And as you stated, it came with the price of the bike. :icon_biggrin:

opas ride
10-16-2013, 01:51 PM
Just my opinion so don't flame me...but if you need all this heated stuff, grips, seats, clothes, etc...Why not just buy a car and stay warm...I have had this stuff on previous bikes and never used any of it....Guess I am a "whimp" but at the ripe old age of 73, I never ride in cold weather anyhow.....Michigan gets damn cold, but on those days I use my car!!!!

kjelders
10-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Just my opinion so don't flame me...but if you need all this heated stuff, grips, seats, clothes, etc...Why not just buy a car and stay warm...I have had this stuff on previous bikes and never used any of it....Guess I am a "whimp" but at the ripe old age of 73, I never ride in cold weather anyhow.....Michigan gets damn cold, but on those days I use my car!!!!

No flaming here...but as I stated, the heated grips came with the bike and I did use them on my 07 wing. I ride year round with only fingerless gloves and the heated grips and baker hand wings do a nice job of keeping my hands warm and not have to wear bulky heavy gloves.

hondabikepro
10-16-2013, 03:46 PM

i am only 63 but if the roads are not iced up, or snow covered i am on the bike heated gear is a must at 35 degrees with mixed rain and snow on the windshield at 7000 feet. thats the only time i like driving the car. other then a sunny day in my e-type jag. dale

1951vbs
10-16-2013, 04:16 PM

I don't like driving when I can ride and don't want to buy a car, but I live in SC. Part of the difference is riding for recreation and riding for transportation. I am lucky! I do both. However, If I lived in Michigan I would probably have to break down and buy a car. When I lived in Minnesota I could extend my riding season with heated gear and a full face helmet, but still had a car except for 4 years when I shared one with the wife. I do have to say that heated gear makes you feel like you are under an electric blanket nice and comfy. Really. I also never have to get into a cold car because I get dressed inside and have instant heat. Opas, I think you are probably more sane than me and at any age people should do what they want to do. I just like the feeling of riding on two wheels and have for as long as I remember. In fact I'm looking forward to my 45 minute ride home from work in a few minutes. Ride, drive safe and stay warm, I hate being cold!

jakec
10-16-2013, 06:08 PM
I live in Illinois and as long as there isn't any salt or ice I'll ride any temp with my heated gear and I really enjoy it.
Jakec

jakec
10-16-2013, 06:12 PM
I kind of got off topic there, but on a Wing when the grips quit working usually the left grip has shorted out. It happened to my Wing.
Jakec

Scotrod
10-16-2013, 07:05 PM
Just curious, Jake,,, did your grips ever work or did it short out sometime there after?

jakec
10-17-2013, 09:59 AM
I had 60000 mi. on the Wing when they went bad but were covered under extended warranty.
Jakec

2013f6b
05-31-2015, 03:30 PM
Mine started doing the same thing in late febuary.replaced the controller.still didn't work.what did the dealer do?I ride mine every day.don't want to giveit up

jm21ddd15
05-31-2015, 09:02 PM
As long as you have a warranty, let them fix it. No need for heated grips in the summer, but spring and fall can get real cold on the fingers in Wisconsin. I will ride until the hyway dept dumps salt on the roads. End of riding season! I went down years ago, on a full Wing after rounding a corner at about 40 mph, and seeing the road was all ice. Didn't get hurt, just slid down the road on a major ice sheet. :yikes: