PDA

View Full Version : Protective gear

Hodgey1
06-17-2017, 08:35 PM
I'm trying to ride safer and smarter as I get older. I told myself when I bought this last bike, that I would wear a helmet, boots, gloves and riding jacket every time I ride. Problem is, my 3 Season, riding jacket, with removable liner, is still to dam hot on days over 80, which has me riding without a jacket.

I'm looking at mesh jackets, particularly the Joe Rocket and was wanting to see what others are doing and using during hot weather.

53driver
06-17-2017, 08:42 PM
One thing you can do besides an air mesh jacket, is get Baker Hand Wings and vector some air on your torso.
Add a BeadRider and that same air gets under your arse and keeps things cool.

I have an air mesh jacket with some reinforcement in the elbows, shoulders, and back.
I feel safe with it.

Cheers,
Steve

VStarRider
06-17-2017, 09:34 PM
One thing you can do besides an air mesh jacket, is get Baker Hand Wings and vector some air on your torso.
Add a BeadRider and that same air gets under your arse and keeps things cool.

I have an air mesh jacket with some reinforcement in the elbows, shoulders, and back.
I feel safe with it.

Cheers,
Steve

^^^ What he said. Elbows and forearms don't hold up well on pavement, so do what you need to protect yourself. I slammed on the brakes tonight to avoid a groundhog. Can't believe I didn't hit him. Even a critter that size could (though unlikely) send you down to the asphalt in a hurry.

It was in the upper 80s here tonight, with no shortage of humidity.

I still wore my fluorescent vest, armor jacket (partially mesh), Schuberth helmet (that thing is too damn hot), armored boots, gloves with leather.

I was steaming at anything below 60. Even lowered the Madstad down. Still, I just don't feel safe without that gear on.

My gear needs an update. I bought it five years ago from Motorcycle Superstore and Leather Up and its kinda cheap. However, it has somehow held up this long.

Travelor
06-17-2017, 10:39 PM
^^^ What he said. Elbows and forearms don't hold up well on pavement, so do what you need to protect yourself. I slammed on the brakes tonight to avoid a groundhog. Can't believe I didn't hit him. Even a critter that size could (though unlikely) send you down to the asphalt in a hurry.

It was in the upper 80s here tonight, with no shortage of humidity.

I still wore my fluorescent vest, armor jacket (partially mesh), Schuberth helmet (that thing is too damn hot), armored boots, gloves with leather.

I was steaming at anything below 60. Even lowered the Madstad down. Still, I just don't feel safe without that gear on.

My gear needs an update. I bought it five years ago from Motorcycle Superstore and Leather Up and its kinda cheap. However, it has somehow held up this long.

1st Gear has a very reasonable mesh jacket for summer use. I think they go for about $175. Has removable shoulder, elbow and back armor so you can take it out when (if) you wash the jacket. I have one in high-vis yellow and it does a pretty good job in hot weather.

3Chief
06-18-2017, 04:21 AM
I like my Draggin Shirt...probably too much as it's just a Kevlar mesh with no armor. I wear it most of the time. I have a nice First Gear jacket, however I regained some weight and it currently doesn't fit...

wjduke
06-18-2017, 05:26 AM
I'm a full gear guy, but I admit to taking off the jacket at 90 plus a few times. Still always long pants, gloves and boots. I have a Klim mesh jacket that can't be any better.

JGF6B
06-18-2017, 05:59 AM
Mesh jackets are nice as long as you avoid black. I have a first gear in black but I stopped wearing it when hot and sunny. I now have a light grey tour master flex series 3 that I wear all the time. I still break out my black first gear mesh pant for long trips.
One thing to consider is where the liner is. My first gear has a water proof internal liner. Keeps me fairly dry/warmer but the outer mesh soaks up a lot of water. Also, it is a pain to take off the jacket and install the liner.
The flex series 3 has an outer shell that goes over the mesh jacket. It is very easy to put on when it is chilly out. I don't even bother zipping them together, just put it on over the mesh jacket and the velcro holds it in place. I have not done any serious riding in the rain, I'm a fair weather rider.

Gloves are all about habit. I finally started wearing gloves 2 years ago and now I feel naked w/o them. Rode without gloves for about 15 years.

Bigcityd
06-18-2017, 06:35 AM
I believe in full gear. I have an Olympia 3 season jacket with the shell being mesh with armour at the shoulder's elbows and back. It pretty comfortable. I was riding in 80+ degree heat at 40 mph and was quite comfortable. I have a vented windscreen as well which helps put some air on my torso when riding.

Hodgey1
06-18-2017, 09:30 AM
Thanks for all the input.

Does anyone have a summer use, mesh jacket that is their favorite, that they would highly recommend for hot days?

F6B1911
06-18-2017, 09:53 AM
Thanks for all the input. Does anyone have a summer use, mesh jacket that is their favorite, that they would highly recommend for hot days?

I found a Fieldsheer mesh jacket at a local dealer, has two zip in/out liners, one for warmth, the other for rain.
With both liners out it's still cool on the hot days and the Hi-Viz gets noticed.
There's removable pads for the elbow, shoulder, and back.

It's a nice jacket thats multi-seasonal.

53driver
06-18-2017, 12:13 PM
Thanks for all the input.

Does anyone have a summer use, mesh jacket that is their favorite, that they would highly recommend for hot days?

As written...get a light colored one. Mine is light grey and....black.
I can feel the heat on the black areas!

willtill
06-18-2017, 12:50 PM
...black and yellow Olympia mesh with removable liner. I like the black/yellow combination since it appears to be very sharp and distinct in traffic.

I also do not wear it on very hot days... there's a point where I will sacrifice a little safety for increased comfort.

I am however, digging my new Duluth 11oz firehose pants. They rock. :yes:

jmdaniel
06-18-2017, 03:10 PM
I have a white Joe Rocket mesh jacket, black First Gear mesh pants, a white Shoei Neotec helmet, and a white F6B. The white jacket is definitely cooler than a black one would be in the summer, but the really cool thing about my ensemble is that cars clear the left lane when I am behind them, obviously thinking I am the heat!!! :icon_biggrin:

willtill
06-18-2017, 03:17 PM
I have a white Joe Rocket mesh jacket, black First Gear mesh pants, a white Shoei Neotec helmet, and a white F6B. The white jacket is definitely cooler than a black one would be in the summer, but the really cool thing about my ensemble is that cars clear the left lane when I am behind them, obviously thinking I am the heat!!! :icon_biggrin:

Couple that with modulating high beams and a white 3/4 helmet with a black visor....

....and you will be golden. :icon_cool:

JGF6B
06-18-2017, 07:17 PM
Oops, deleted link; I'm not sure if that was allowed... may not be a supporting vendor.

The inner mesh jacket isn't quite so "stylish." Grey/grey good in the sun.

Hodgey1
06-18-2017, 07:22 PM
The Fuzz:icon_cool:

tiltingf6b
06-18-2017, 07:48 PM
They make some vests and riding jackets designed to keep you cool in the heat. some are pricey but if you do not sweat and live in the deep south (like me) they might just save you bacon by keeping you alert and out of the fog caused by heat exhaustion or worse.

I fear the reality of Alabama's heat and humidity far worse than the slide - I know, I know, dress for the slide not for the ride - but a man's gotta do what a mans gotta do. I pour water bottles on my body during rides to stay cool.

https://www.amazon.com/TechNiche-International-Adult-HyperKewl-Cooling/dp/B004VMF2MY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1497832627&sr=8-3&keywords=cooling+jacket
https://industrialsafetygear.com/MiraCool-Phase-Change-Value-Cooling-Vest-Nylon_p_5738.html
https://www.glaciertek.com/
my personal favorite: https://www.glaciertek.com/reflective/

some people think the saddle bags are for luggage - I think they are for extra ice packs.:icon_biggrin:

I used to wear some pretty heavy gear (bomb disposal blast suits) and without the cooling equipment between me and that suit in the desert place, I would have been long gone many a day.:pop::077::'firefire'

stevenolts
06-19-2017, 03:53 PM
I believe I have a great hot weather jacket. (my search is over)
I have the Klim Induction mesh jacket. It is feels great and I think it offers the best protection short of a leather jacket. (D30 molecular elbo, shoulder, and back)
Comfort, airflow, and protection = ***** 5 stars
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-induction-jacket

I am still searching for the best hot weather pants?
I have the Klim Mohave mesh pants they work fairly well but could be better.
I added the level 2 D30 molecular armor knees and hips.
comfort = **** 4 stars
airflow = **** 4 stars
protection = *** 3 stars (great for off road but not sure on the highway speeds on pavement)
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-mojave-in-the-boot-pants

I have the Dainese Drake Super Air pants.
comfort = ***** 5 stars
airflow = ***** 5 stars
protection = *** 3 stars (no hip armor)
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-drake-super-air-tex-pants

I would appreciate any advice on the pants.

Steve

Hodgey1
06-19-2017, 07:25 PM
I'm familiar with Klim from snowmobiling, where they are tops in the cold weather gear. I just wish the price wasn't so high but you typically get what you pay for, so I might need to break down. That induction jacket also looks great.

soupbean
06-22-2017, 04:54 AM
The first mesh jacket I bought was a Vega. All black with reflective grey piping, has a removable insulated liner and bought it very reasonably priced. It's a great jacket for the warmer months.
I love the Joe Rocket stuff . Good quality for the price. I've got a Joe Rocket Honda jacket (red) the wife bought me after I got the VFR 1200 (very cool looking). Have two other Joe Rocket jackets and a pair of their mesh riding pants. All the jackets have varied degrees of padding but all have back, elbow and shoulder pads. Good quality for the money.