PDA

View Full Version : Kill Switch

Circle-5
06-18-2017, 02:01 AM
To shut off the engine I just turn the key to "OFF". My neighbor owns a bunch of bikes (mostly Ducati) and he says I should always use the red kill switch instead (next to the throttle). Isn't that the same exact thing? The F6B doesn't seem to care ...

taxfree4
06-18-2017, 02:26 AM
You still have to turn the key to the "Off" position to lock the wheel so it's just an extra step to me.

2wheelsforme
06-18-2017, 06:08 AM
I think there is no need to use the kill switch. Anything will work equally. Most of time I use the kick stand.

bob109
06-18-2017, 06:47 AM
No harm is exercising the "Kill Switch" on occasion! Like, inadvertently, "lowering the side stand", the engine will die and return to life when switch conditions/positions are correct:shhh:

willtill
06-18-2017, 07:21 AM
Someone said ( a tech at a dealer) that you should use the kill switch exclusively for fuel injected bikes. This was for a Victory Vision however. No idea how important it really is; or if it's a requirement due to technical design of the electronics/fuel circuit... :shrug:

xgringo
06-18-2017, 07:35 AM
I lurk on a lot of MC forums and this comes up every now and then. The experts say you should exercise the kill switch which I try to do every time I ride. In fact, here is a quote from a Goldwing forum from yesterday by the resident expert in answer to a bike that just shuts off.

"If tapping on the top of the kill switch makes it stutter or stall, cycle the switch in both directions about 50 times. Lack of use usually allows oxidation to build up on its contacts and flipping it off-on-off a bunch will wipe the contacts clean again.

If tapping on the switch has no affect, then it's something else and will need more troubleshooting."

53driver
06-18-2017, 08:45 AM
Engine Cut Off Switch (ECOS)....ahhhh yes.

In the Basic Rider Course, we teach the students "Thumb, Key" to shut down the bikes.
This exercises their muscle memory for using the Engine Cut Off Switch and hopefully, if they ever "need" to use it, they can.
In the BRC2 and ARC, we tell the students to ride their own ride, shut down as they see fit.

As TaxFree pointed out, yes, it's an extra step.
The LEAN/6 Sigma part of me wholly concurs.

But then the test pilot in me kicks in.....
- Systems and subsystems must be exercised in all positions to ensure they work and work well
- Working vs. working well: regular exercise to ensure consistent, proper operation and avoid any oxidation build up as previously mentioned.
- The F6B ECOS has three positions, two off and one Run

As a habit, I alternate using the Up & Down positions to turn my bike off.
My thumb likes the pushing to the Up position for emergency training as my hand is already on the throttle and it's one movement to the left to turn off the bike.
That's a muscle memory item I'm only too happy to have.
And, yeah, I don't want to be that guy that has to cycle his pristine thumb switch 50x to get his bike started.
I know mine is working well.

Also, it maybe valid to use the ECOS for fuel injected engines or not (first I've heard of that).....any of our technical types wanna jump on this one?
Cheers,
Steve

Jimmytee
06-18-2017, 08:57 AM
My kill switch gets exercised enough inadvertently. :icon_rolleyes:

2wheelsforme
06-18-2017, 09:31 AM
Use it to exercise it and use it to train your self to know how to use it for an emergency. OK! No mechanical reason to only turn your bike off with the kill switch. Lay the bike on its side and the lean angle switch will kill the bike. Whatever.

willtill
06-18-2017, 10:51 AM
I would think that one at times; could become preoccupied and after using the kill switch; forget to turn off the ignition. Walks away... comes back to a dead battery. Especially if you're at home.

I'll continue to use the key.

bob109
06-18-2017, 11:07 AM
I would think that one at times; could become preoccupied and after using the kill switch; forget to turn off the ignition. Walks away... comes back to a dead battery. Especially if you're at home.

Believe me! It does happen! Ask me how I know:icon_doh:

xgringo
06-18-2017, 12:00 PM

I agree. I do it when I am leaving and go back to lock my shed and close the gate because I know that I'll be right back.

53driver
06-18-2017, 12:17 PM
Well, the radio keeps playing after using the ECOS, so if that's still going on, I turn the key.
I also do a "post-flight walk around" looking for anything unusual and those bright a$$ lights will usually remind me to turn off the ignition.

YMMV.
Cheers,
Steve

Circle-5
06-18-2017, 01:05 PM
Thank you for all your advice and opinions. I do use the third engine cut-off method on occasion - the kickstand - but always involuntarily. As for actuating switches on a regular basis to clean the wipes, I'm glad some of you do it. Knowing that makes me feel slightly less OCD.

Now I'd like to discuss that annoying dust that builds up between the windscreen and the dashboard ... :icon_rolleyes:

53driver
06-18-2017, 03:08 PM
Now I'd like to discuss that annoying dust that builds up between the windscreen and the dashboard ... :icon_rolleyes:

Not enough "wind" accumulated.....:icon_razz:

tiltingf6b
06-18-2017, 07:57 PM
It's all about location, as a young motorpickle rider I was told that in an emergency I could shut down the motorcycle without taking my hands off the steering wheel - thus the EMERGENCY kill switch.

tiltingf6b
06-18-2017, 07:59 PM
Use it to exercise it and use it to train your self to know how to use it for an emergency. OK! No mechanical reason to only turn your bike off with the kill switch. Lay the bike on its side and the lean angle switch will kill the bike. Whatever.
What he ^ said ! .notworthy.

imscots
06-19-2017, 02:56 PM
The kill switch is there in the event of an accident. Even the handbook says to leave it in the run position. In case of an accident sometimes the engine is screaming, so the switch is there so it can be killed instantly. Use the key only at all times.

Circle-5
06-19-2017, 05:29 PM
Thank you imscots – that makes sense. I did not realize the handbook was provided so we could read it. Mine has a plastic shrinkwrap around it, so I thought this was to discourage us from looking at the pages. I learn something new every day on this forum!

3Chief
06-20-2017, 02:52 AM
I use the kill switch on all three of my bikes and both quads every time I shut them down. I've never left the key in the ignition doing so...don't ask me about leaving them in the lock for the saddles bags tho...:icon_frown:

edgeman55
06-20-2017, 12:58 PM
The kill switch is there in the event of an accident. Even the handbook says to leave it in the run position. In case of an accident sometimes the engine is screaming, so the switch is there so it can be killed instantly. Use the key only at all times.

In the unfortunate event of a accident or if your bike topples over it will kill itself as it has a bank angle kill switch.I had a 1500 Goldwing that would shut down and then come back on at speed which was very unnerving.Drove me nuts till it was found at the kill switch as the contacts were filthy.So I turn mine on and off to exercise the switch as well as the sidestand kill.But 90% of the time just use the key.