PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Use The Garmin Car GPS With The 7" Screen?

Old N Grumpy
06-18-2017, 12:55 PM
If so was wondering how it fits, works etc. Is it too big? These old eyes need all the help they can get!

woody
06-18-2017, 04:45 PM
I use one in a motorhome not on the bike, they are not waterproof.

Old N Grumpy
06-18-2017, 05:04 PM
Neither are the motorcycle ones...just water resistant and you pay a whole lot more for that and a few other things I can live without. I am more concerned about fitment on the F6B.

Milkmaster
06-18-2017, 06:08 PM
Here is what I do. I have a standard Garmin GPS. I believe the model is 52LM. They work very well and cheap enough to replace if something happens to it. I pop it off in about 10 seconds if I wash the bike or put a sandwich bag over the top of it if I am caught out in the rain and don't want to do without it. Sometimes I just put it in the trunk if I expect a rainy ride and don't need it. The mount is from Ram Mounts and uses the screws that go into the brake reservoir. The power comes from the left compartment power socket where I have a usb adapter. My setup has been trouble free and an add on I really like to see what roads are coming up soon in front of me. The 7" model would be something I would consider in my current setup.

Old N Grumpy
06-18-2017, 08:06 PM
Good info...thank you!:yes:

Indian Express
06-19-2017, 09:14 AM
Here is what I do. I have a standard Garmin GPS. I believe the model is 52LM. They work very well and cheap enough to replace if something happens to it. I pop it off in about 10 seconds if I wash the bike or put a sandwich bag over the top of it if I am caught out in the rain and don't want to do without it. Sometimes I just put it in the trunk if I expect a rainy ride and don't need it. The mount is from Ram Mounts and uses the screws that go into the brake reservoir. The power comes from the left compartment power socket where I have a usb adapter. My setup has been trouble free and an add on I really like to see what roads are coming up soon in front of me. The 7" model would be something I would consider in my current setup.

Jerry,
I can't open your picture for whatever reason. Does your Ram mount actually mount to the existing screw hole in the reservoir or it it a replacement top that has a short tab sticking out where the ram mount attaches to? I have the replacement top on my ST that has the threaded tab that extends from the top. Using 660 LM, (connects via blue tooth to my Sena-MP3 and directions) been through a couple frog stranglers with no ill affects; however it is mounted on my ST dash just behind the screen so it is somewhat protected.

F6Dave
06-19-2017, 10:05 AM
Here's the clutch reservoir type RAM mount for my Garmin. The unit has been wet many times but that never caused an issue.

http://dchealy.com/valk/res_mount.jpg

Milkmaster
06-19-2017, 03:23 PM
The mount F6Dave shows is identical to mine. I don't know why the picture cannot be viewed. I have loaded other pics that are the same way and I have no clue why. Sorry

woody
06-19-2017, 04:57 PM
Neither are the motorcycle ones...just water resistant and you pay a whole lot more for that and a few other things I can live without. I am more concerned about fitment on the F6B.

It clearly states on the box that contains the Garmin 390LM "waterproof"

Old N Grumpy
06-19-2017, 10:07 PM
It clearly states on the box that contains the Garmin 390LM "waterproof"

You are right...I stand corrected.

firetat2
08-11-2017, 06:52 PM
i use a 7" one yes big but i like also got a waterproof holder with small visor off ebay for like $30 again only on bike when needed so size shouldnt be a big problem... i love it ' i can see it great

Old N Grumpy
08-11-2017, 08:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies.:cheers:

crossbowme
08-12-2017, 12:19 PM
I have the 660Lm and it to says its waterproof but when you dig into it the info says "IPX7 standards". That is defined as (short version) as "protected from immersion for up to 1 meter and 30 mins". That being said, I have used mine in all kinds of rain. To be on the safe side I now cover it with a Ziploc when it gets real bad.