PDA

View Full Version : Highway lights

garylee
10-14-2013, 09:39 AM
I need lights that light the side when in a turn or when making a 90 degree turn. I understand that someone makes a light that mounts under mirror/turn signal housings???? I'm a X lifelong Harley rider, I can't tell you how happy I am with this bike!!!!!!!!!!! I had lights that worked well on my last Harley that mounted on the Forks, I need some help, Thanks Garylee

dickiedeals
10-14-2013, 10:57 AM
I need lights that light the side when in a turn or when making a 90 degree turn. I understand that someone makes a light that mounts under mirror/turn signal housings???? I'm a X lifelong Harley rider, I can't tell you how happy I am with this bike!!!!!!!!!!! I had lights that worked well on my last Harley that mounted on the Forks, I need some help, Thanks Garylee

One x lifelong Harley Rider to the other. Welcome to the F6B. Fantastic machine. I put Bike MP3 960 LED lights in my lower cowl. Lights up the sides and front like daylight. Don't know how to send you a link but Pete on this forum sells them. Check them out. Dickie

Phantom
10-14-2013, 11:25 AM

http://www.bikemp3.com/2012-GL1800-Lower-Cowl-960-Lights-HGW-LGT-12C.htm?categoryId=-1 (http://www.bikemp3.com/2012-GL1800-Lower-Cowl-960-Lights-HGW-LGT-12C.htm?categoryId=-1)

edgeman55
10-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Another :yes: up for the 960 cowl lights.Awsome light output.

GiddyupF6B
10-14-2013, 01:43 PM
Where are you guys mounting your switch and what switch are you using? I already have a toggle that I drilled into the left side control panel.

Hornblower
10-14-2013, 02:43 PM
Where are you guys mounting your switch and what switch are you using? I already have a toggle that I drilled into the left side control panel.

The 960 kit comes with an OEM-style switch that mounts in the left side panel.

MichaelG
10-14-2013, 04:02 PM
The 960 kit comes with an OEM-style switch that mounts in the left side panel.

In "my" opinion, I would NOT use the OEM Honda style switch for these lights. The 960 lights from BikeMP3 are great lights, and they put out all the light that you could ever want. Once you install them, you will be raving about them.

BUT...the Honda OEM switch is another issue. I say...buy the Electrical Connection switch...the one with the Green lighted switch, and use that instead.

WHY...you ask? Because the Honda switch stays lit all the time, whether on or off, and the switch itself is a little stiff...does not click on or off as nicely as it should. But the EC switch operates very smoothly, and the Green light is only ON...when the lights are ON.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/images/switch-gl18-gen5.jpg

garylee
10-14-2013, 08:05 PM
My riding Bud Jim Bob 1 said I could find out just about anything I needed thru you guys, Thanks again

Hornblower
10-15-2013, 08:35 AM
BUT...the Honda OEM switch is another issue. I say...buy the Electrical Connection switch...the one with the Green lighted switch, and use that instead.

Sparky--You'll get no argument from me on that. In fact, I'm going to order one of those for myself today. Thanks for that great suggestion!

MichaelG
10-15-2013, 09:12 AM
Sparky--You'll get no argument from me on that. In fact, I'm going to order one of those for myself today. Thanks for that great suggestion!

Just trying to help yet another Southern brother, with things that us Northern brothers already know...:icon_wink: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_wink: :icon_mrgreen:

Hornblower
10-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Just trying to help yet another Southern brother, with things that us Northern brothers already know...:icon_wink: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_wink: :icon_mrgreen:

The gentleman from NC yields to your superior ego, I mean intellect. :bowdown::icon_lol:

MichaelG
10-15-2013, 03:50 PM
The gentleman from NC yields to your superior ego, I mean intellect. :bowdown::icon_lol:

That is what I "love" about you Southern Gentlemen...satire disguised as humor. :icon_mrgreen:

Hornblower
10-15-2013, 07:17 PM
That is what I "love" about you Southern Gentlemen...satire disguised as humor. :icon_mrgreen:

Perhaps this is a good time to stop trying to be humorous and just say, with all sincerity, how much I really do appreciate all your valuable contributions to this forum. I know many others join me in this. Thanks, Miles! :biggthumpup:

Cool Hand Luke
10-15-2013, 10:21 PM
Perhaps this is a good time to stop trying to be humorous and just say, with all sincerity, how much I really do appreciate all your valuable contributions to this forum. I know many others join me in this. Thanks, Miles! :biggthumpup:

Absolutely agree, reading Miles' comments made me learn a thing or two, for example I never really considered RDL until now, I also added HID lights and will not add high beam HID's but maybe LED's, etc. and maybe I will someday try to do a 2,000 mile day! On the second thought probably not...

contek
10-15-2013, 11:49 PM

+10! :yes:

Steve 0080
10-16-2013, 06:53 AM
OMG..... the guy gets hit by lighting and his head does not explode...NOW blowing up his ego will make it explode !!!!

contek
10-16-2013, 08:36 AM
OMG..... the guy gets hit by lighting and his head does not explode...NOW blowing up his ego will make it explode !!!!

Now that's funny! :clap2:

Hornblower
10-20-2013, 06:30 PM
In "my" opinion, I would NOT use the OEM Honda style switch for these lights. The 960 lights from BikeMP3 are great lights, and they put out all the light that you could ever want. Once you install them, you will be raving about them.

WHY...you ask? Because the Honda switch stays lit all the time, whether on or off, and the switch itself is a little stiff...does not click on or off as nicely as it should. But the EC switch operates very smoothly, and the Green light is only ON...when the lights are ON.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/images/switch-gl18-gen5.jpg

My switch with green indicator light arrived while I was in Daytona so I installed that this afternoon. You were right, Miles, this is definitely the way to go. Now, I don't have to wonder if my 960's are on or not. That OEM-style switch is, by comparison, a piece of junk.

My only complaint is that the switch arrived with a connector included but not attached. As a result, it's not completely plug-and-play. Unfortunately, there are NO instructions included and it's not simply a matter of matching wire colors because there are no matching wire colors :icon_rolleyes:. So, with only 3 wires to figure out I began to experiment. Congratulate me! I only blew 1 fuse before I figured it out :clap2:. At any rate, if anyone else buys this switch from EC, here are the connections:

Red wire from switch to Brown w/Blue Stripe wire on plug

White wire from switch to Brown w/White Stripe wire on plug

Black wire from switch to Green wire on plug

Hope this makes the job easier for someone else!

ths61
10-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Anyone using the Clearwater LEDs (or have any personal experience with them)?

The new 2" diameter DARLAS are supposed to put out 2,000+ Lumens per light and are dimmable.

TIA

Yeahoo Whoyah
10-20-2013, 11:32 PM
Anyone using the Clearwater LEDs (or have any personal experience with them)?

The new 2" diameter DARLAS are supposed to put out 2,000+ Lumens per light and are dimmable.

TIA

I had a F800GS with Clearwater Krista lights with dimmer installed. Superior quality product, highly recommended.

Steve 0080
10-20-2013, 11:34 PM
http://www.clearwaterlights.com/infopg_darla.html and they come in Chrome.....Where do I sign !!!!!

MichaelG
10-21-2013, 12:03 AM
My switch with green indicator light arrived while I was in Daytona so I installed that this afternoon. You were right, Miles, this is definitely the way to go. Now, I don't have to wonder if my 960's are on or not. That OEM-style switch is, by comparison, a piece of junk.

My only complaint is that the switch arrived with a connector included but not attached. As a result, it's not completely plug-and-play. Unfortunately, there are NO instructions included and it's not simply a matter of matching wire colors because there are no matching wire colors :icon_rolleyes:.

Hmmmm......the one I got from them came with wiring instructions. Are you sure you didn't throw the instructions out with the box? :shock:

Hornblower
10-21-2013, 07:21 AM
Hmmmm......the one I got from them came with wiring instructions. Are you sure you didn't throw the instructions out with the box? :shock:

Well, it's possible I missed it but I searched through the packaging pretty well. Actually, I thought about PM-ing you since you had already done the install but with only 3 wires to sort out, I figured I could get it done. I was pretty sure that green was ground and brown/white was power but it was the brown/blue that I wasn't sure about. Once I sorted that out, it was smooth sailing. Miles, you probably know this but I'm assuming there is already a relay buried in the bike so this after market switch is simply triggering the relay and not carrying much current.

Hornblower
10-25-2013, 08:12 AM
Since there has been quite a bit of discussion concerning the 960 lower cowl lights from BikeMP3, this seems to be a good thread to share some additional details on that product. First, we all seem to agree that these lights put out a LOT of light. Pete, from BikeMP3, was really responsive as I was questioning him on some technical details of that product. What I found caused me to appreciate him and this particular product even more. Here is a little summary of the specs he shared with me:

The bulbs are CREE 10-watt bulbs with a color temp of 6000K. Power consumed per bulb is 1A @ 12VDC. The waterproof rating is IP67. Light output is 960 lumens per bulb.

From that brief summary, let me add a couple of notes...CREE LED bulbs are some of the best in the business. We should expect 30,000+ hours of useful life. The total light output of 960 X 4 = 3840 lumens is, shall we say, more than adequate :yes:

Pedro66
10-25-2013, 11:06 AM
Since there has been quite a bit of discussion concerning the 960 lower cowl lights from BikeMP3, this seems to be a good thread to share some additional details on that product. First, we all seem to agree that these lights put out a LOT of light. Pete, from BikeMP3, was really responsive as I was questioning him on some technical details of that product. What I found caused me to appreciate him and this particular product even more. Here is a little summary of the specs he shared with me:

The bulbs are CREE 10-watt bulbs with a color temp of 6000K. Power consumed per bulb is 1A @ 12VDC. The waterproof rating is IP67. Light output is 960 lumens per bulb.

From that brief summary, let me add a couple of notes...CREE LED bulbs are some of the best in the business. We should expect 30,000+ hours of useful life. The total light output of 960 X 4 = 3840 lumens is, shall we say, more than adequate :yes:

Thanks for the nice write up and just a note all our lower cowl lights currently have 20% off if you use the code LIGHT20 at checkout on our website

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/pedro_66/ScreenShot2013-10-25at122417PM_zpsed4b6960.png

Memphian
10-25-2013, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the nice write up and just a note all our lower cowl lights currently have 20% off if you use the code LIGHT20 at checkout on our website

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq173/pedro_66/ScreenShot2013-10-25at122417PM_zpsed4b6960.png

Just placed an order< thanks Pete.

fsixb_AZ
10-25-2013, 07:49 PM

Thanks for the discount Pete, just ordered up a pair, they look like great lights, looking forward to getting them.:yes: