PDA

View Full Version : Got the itch again!!!!

Heavvyduty
06-21-2017, 06:03 AM
I have had my F6B for 3yrs now. Awesome ride , but kinda wanting a NEW bike. Went and looked at some new Harley's. Remind me now,, What would I be given up if I got a new Road Guild.

Allen Framen
06-21-2017, 06:41 AM
The Road Glide has a lot to offer. However, you would have to endure an amazing amount of engine heat while stopped. In stop-and-go traffic, it is not a small thing. You might also find that the Road Glide front end feels very heavy. The Harley would likely not have the longevity or reliability of the F6B.

allen

six2go
06-21-2017, 08:03 AM
If that's what you want to do, do it! We aren't getting any younger and might as well scratch those itches while we can. I am in somewhat the same situation although I am leaning toward something smaller and lighter. Something in the Adv touring line. But.............at 72 I'm probably riding my last bike. We'll see. :shhh:

willtill
06-21-2017, 08:08 AM
I've been lusting for a Big Dog K9 or Ridgeback chopper... for quite some time now. Almost pulled the trigger on a Big Dog coyote a month or so ago... but it's just not the model I'm looking for.

copper
06-21-2017, 08:22 AM
If that's what you want to do, do it! We aren't getting any younger and might as well scratch those itches while we can. I am in somewhat the same situation although I am leaning toward something smaller and lighter. Something in the Adv touring line. But.............at 72 I'm probably riding my last bike. We'll see. :shhh:

I am also looking at something smaller & lighter, just for an in town bike....but I am looking at a 650-750cc collector bike, to go in the garage beside the F6B ;)

Redlinez
06-21-2017, 10:27 AM
I just did a 13 mile test ride on the new Ultra Classic. Really liked it, but you definitely feel the heat on your right leg while stopped and while moving. They didn't want to give me much for mine and didn't deal a lot on theirs, so no HD for me for now.

Davidk
06-21-2017, 10:57 AM
You give up the smoothness, quite and reliability of the B.

willtill
06-21-2017, 12:20 PM
If I ever get a chopper, this will be necessary equipment :icon_mrgreen: Seriously :shhh:

http://i68.tinypic.com/vqs3eq.jpg

opas ride
06-21-2017, 03:49 PM
Thinking of something lighter and smaller myself at almost 78 years old..So far, so good with the F6B, but I notice it is getting a little " tighter on my pucker" at slower speeds and some maneuvers...But I love the thing and might wait until next year to look..Almost bought a leftover 2015 Honda Interstate last winter...If I were seriously interested in looking at HD, personally I would wait until the 2018's are out and then see what kind of deal I could get.....Good luck and ride safe...BTW I would never buy a Harley for any reason and just plain don't like the things....Never have, never will, have ridden a few and just cannot find anything I like about them.....Had over 20 bikes in my riding career and HD just did not "float my boat"..Can't deal with the image thing and the ego trips most HD riders are on....Plus I really enjoy "blowing them into the weeds" , especially the ones with loud obnoxious pipes that makes them go faster!!!..Sorry guys, just not my bag!!!

53driver
06-21-2017, 07:54 PM
I have had my F6B for 3yrs now. Awesome ride , but kinda wanting a NEW bike. Went and looked at some new Harley's. Remind me now,, What would I be given up if I got a new Road Guild.

What you'd lose is minimal compared to what you would gain.....ready?

Well first, you'd lose a lot of $$$$$ (5 digits) - especially if you traded the F6B
Second, you'd lose horsepower. Going from 118hp to 85. And then more $$$$$ (yes, 5 digits) to get it to 112hp
Third, you'd lose a "heavy cruiser" with a low center of gravity
Last, you'd lose the smoothest running engine in the history of motorcycling

But look at what you gain!!!!
You'd gain an up-to-date, state of the art V-Twin motor with roots ( & technology) 114 years old.
You'd be gaining heat - a lot of it.
You'd be gaining a top heavy machine with a fixed front cowling with "bolt-on" aesthetics.
You'd be gaining a pirate's wardrobe.
You'd be gaining new friends who ride, drink, ride, eat, ride in support of good causes, ride in support of their local chapters, and get excited about 3,000 miles on the bike in a year - when they are not getting the latest "Stage X" upgrade.
You'd be gaining new ear protection devices - after you spend $$$$ to make the exhaust breathe contrary to EPA regulations.
You'd be gaining vibrations......enough to satiate the entire red light district in Las Vegas.
You'd be gaining easy access to things like air cleaners, oil filters and spark plugs - because you have to.
Plus easy access to coils, and belts, and 3 different fluids to change out, AFTER you consult Seadog to find the best ones to use.

How do I know? I've got one of each. And I love them both.
Cheers,
Steve

Jimmytee
06-21-2017, 09:08 PM
If I were to buy a harley it would cost me a mint. I'd have to have a CVO or pour money into a 107 to make it 120 ci to even begin. Have you priced this? No, I'm sticking with my F6B, which I have put some money into it too, but still don't have anywhere near what the above Harley would cost.:icon_wink:

It would probably take a bad ass really new Gold Wing or am anxious to see the 1600B from BMW.

speedjunkie
06-21-2017, 09:31 PM
How many here have ridden a new 2017 RG, especially the water cooled model?

Mike

olegoat345
06-21-2017, 09:34 PM
If you gave me the top of line HD, FLH XPHRQTXYZ & told me I had to ride it & couldn't sell it. I'd tell you to keep it.
I've rode a lot of bikes, without a doubt the entire HD line are at the very bottom of my list.
My "B" is the best riding, best handling bike I've ever ridden & in my opinion the best looking. .
Dat's my 2 cents worth.

tpwood
06-21-2017, 09:42 PM

How About and Indian Chieftain, I was real close to buying one vs the F6b, I went with my brain vs my heart. Love the Indians, had an 1987 Electroglide classic, so I got Harley out of my system. But the F6b is my last bike for me, so I went with the one that will last me for 300K.

taxfree4
06-22-2017, 03:57 AM
HD's are great I have a 2013 1200 Sportster with 159 miles on it because after riding the F6B, approaching 30K miles, everything else is a step down as far as comfort, handling, acceleration and smoothness. I traded a 2013 Road Glide Custom, with only 4600 miles on it, for the F6B because the HEAT was unbearable in traffic, and that was the 103 cu.in.. A whole ride can be ruined when on the way there or the way back you get caught in bumper to bumper while the 107 is sauteing your inner thighs and groin. But, as what happens, no matter what we say you'll go with your gut, and you should, so human nature goes. Even Trump must look at Melania coming out of the shower and say to himself "You know she's perfect in every way but I'd still like to tap that Jenna Lee from Fox" it's who we are.

JGF6B
06-22-2017, 04:10 AM
I've often thought about picking up a soft tail to use for shorter rides in perfect weather. Yesterday was a perfect example. 82 degrees and sunny; a nice day to feel wind everywhere. More wind on beautiful days is one of the things my B lacks (and I have the hand wings).
This would be an addition though, I couldn't bring myself to part with the B. I thought I got a good deal on mine new in '15 but I'd lose a good $7k if I sold it now (based on the prices I see on this site). If I get the itch, I'll make room in the garage and keep the B. At least until the used market improves for the B.

Hodgey1
06-22-2017, 09:42 AM
I understand the whole Harley thing having once owned one. Its hard to ignore all that is Harley, particularly the nostalgia and styling for me. Having gotten older and somewhat wiser, I can't say enough good about my F6B. One of my favorite parts of this bike is how peaceful, comfortable and quiet it is to ride. I'm not a long distance junky, I avoid highway/main road and Cities. I'm more of a tour the countryside and take it all in guy, last year we spent a week touring our great state of PA putting on 1200 miles and never hitting a main road. I also commute to work 40 miles a day on it and tour the back roads with my wife on Sundays. I can't imagine a better bike than the F6B to do what I just described, though knowing that 70 years old ain't that far away, I can completely understand maybe wanting something lighter.

stevenolts
06-22-2017, 09:43 AM
I test rode a new 2017 Road Glide a few weeks ago. It was much nicer than the older ones / more power / stereo etc...
But way too much heat / money / repairs!!!

I then test rode the Yamaha FZ-09 and FJ-09. The Yamaha were awesome and fun!!!

I am thinking about getting a Yamaha to go with the F6B (I will never get rid of my F6B)
I am seriously thinking about getting a FJR1300 or maybe a toy bike like the FJ-09 / FZ-10 / FZ-09
I think that Yamaha is making the best bikes these days.
Which Yamaha would you buy?

Steve

Hornblower
06-22-2017, 10:29 AM
I am thinking about getting a Yamaha to go with the F6B (I will never get rid of my F6B)
I am seriously thinking about getting a FJR1300 or maybe a toy bike like the FJ-09 / FZ-10 / FZ-09
Steve

Steve, I'm sure the Yamaha's would be fine bikes but if you start thinking seriously about the FJR1300, definitely test the Kawasaki C14 for comparison. I ride with a group of Concours riders and, if set up properly, they are fantastic and versatile bikes.

ths61
06-22-2017, 01:10 PM
A lot of $$$ and riding time.

willtill
06-22-2017, 03:08 PM
http://i63.tinypic.com/fyefdy.jpg

BuzzzPhotos
06-22-2017, 03:34 PM
I was up in Oklahoma yesterday and stopped to get gas in a small town. A Harley guy stopped to ask about my bike. He rides a Road Glide & has 50,000 miles on it. He chose it over the F6B and had a lot of questions. He noticed I was getting regular gas & he asked about service. I explained I use Rotella T6 diesel oil and change it every 5,000 miles & showed him my Michelin rear tire. He was scratching his head as I drove off. He as a nice guy & I enjoyed the conversation.

53driver
06-22-2017, 06:00 PM
One Day....

Will, that thing is a hard tail - you sure about that???

Old Ryder
06-22-2017, 06:37 PM
So I got a Valkyrie.

Then after hand to hand combat with the wife for months, I also treated myself to a very cheap, chromed out Softail Springer.

So I can scratch the itch of the day.

speedjunkie
06-22-2017, 08:26 PM
The new M8 models are much better. Smoother, more power, better suspension, better shifting, etc. Heavvy, go ride one, only you can decide if it's right for you. Try the water cooled ultra tho, the top box can be removed to sleek it up & lighten it up, then put back on for heavy duty touring. Least that's what I'd do and probably will again down the road.

Mike

Hodgey1
06-22-2017, 08:58 PM

That's the mystique I was talking about!

3Chief
06-23-2017, 03:01 AM
Steve, I'm sure the Yamaha's would be fine bikes but if you start thinking seriously about the FJR1300, definitely test the Kawasaki C14 for comparison. I ride with a group of Concours riders and, if set up properly, they are fantastic and versatile bikes.

One of my three is the C14 and I cannot wait to part with her. Properly set up is the key, by the time I figured out what was causing my issues with the bike I was done with her. Awesome machine for sure once you throw away the OEM Stones she comes with. To nice a bike to leave rotting in the garage so someone is going to get a good deal.

Heavvyduty
06-23-2017, 04:31 AM
25673 Got this 2017RGS. But I kept the F6B to for now.

willtill
06-23-2017, 04:50 AM
Will, that thing is a hard tail - you sure about that???

I know it's a hard tail... and the rods and screws in my lower back surely would protest such an experience. The K9 is a soft tail though and if I was ever going to pull the trigger on one; it'll likely be the model that I acquire.

But ain't it :icon_cool: ?

I had ridden a Ridgeback last year or two ago at the local Harley dealer. That big tire on the rear helps cushion the bumps a little, but you still can sense a lot of shock when the road is bad. A chopper definitely is not going to be my primary bike.. only something to ride locally around.. terrorizing the local populace while wearing my Pickelhaube :icon_mrgreen:

speedjunkie
06-23-2017, 07:22 AM
Congrats Heavvy!

Mike

six2go
06-23-2017, 10:02 AM
What did ya get Heavvy? For some reason the link won't work for me to open the pic.

stevenolts
06-23-2017, 11:46 AM
I am saving for my next new bike to put in the garage next to my F6B. Right now the Yamaha FJR1300 is top on the list.

Hornblower: The FJR1300 is a more modern bike with more advanced features than the Kawasaki Concourse. The Kawi maybe more powerful though!!!

In the mean time I am in the process of redoing my 1981 Honda CB750K which I have had since new. I bought it when I was 21 in 1981. I have added mini ape handlebars, my Harley Davidson: Sun Downer seat, Leather Covered saddlebags and tour pack. I added a Givi Airflow windshield, rebuilt the carbs, brakes electircal, forks , etc.... I think it will be better than new once I repaint it and shine up all the chrome.

http://s76.photobucket.com/user/stevenolts/media/20170618_191505_zps3ymkmsdc.jpg.html?o=8

http://s76.photobucket.com/user/stevenolts/media/20170618_191448_zps0bvb8p9t.jpg.html?o=9

http://s76.photobucket.com/user/stevenolts/media/20170528_080651_zpslrvlkhdk.jpg.html?o=10

http://s76.photobucket.com/user/stevenolts/media/20170528_080651_zpslrvlkhdk.jpg.html?o=10

Let me know if these links to pics work.

Steve

53driver
06-23-2017, 11:59 AM
One of my three is the C14 and I cannot wait to part with her. Properly set up is the key, by the time I figured out what was causing my issues with the bike I was done with her. Awesome machine for sure once you throw away the OEM Stones she comes with. To nice a bike to leave rotting in the garage so someone is going to get a good deal.

Uhhh, we need to talk if your C14 is looking for a good home....
Cheers,
Steve

F6B1911
06-23-2017, 12:22 PM

Me too!
Got the itch for a new bike, no H-D for me, I'll just wait until the rally and steal 53Driver's bike, his is setup perfectly.

opas ride
06-23-2017, 12:26 PM
Me too!
Got the itch for a new bike, no H-D for me, I'll just wait until the rally and steal 53Driver's bike, his is setup perfectly.

Thought you were "hung-up" on the new BMW 1600 Bagger!!!....If it ever comes out maybe we can ride over and look at it sometime..Regards and ride safe....

53driver
06-23-2017, 12:34 PM
Me too!

Uhhh, you're going to have to work through a few of my esteemed associates, namely Mr. Glock and Messieurs Smith & Wesson.
They are VERY fond of Isleen and will protect her to the death. :nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

But, I shall be happy to provide you with any and all info on my mods. :icon_mrgreen:

Cheers,
Steve

VStarRider
06-23-2017, 05:29 PM
How About and Indian Chieftain, I was real close to buying one vs the F6b, I went with my brain vs my heart. Love the Indians, had an 1987 Electroglide classic, so I got Harley out of my system. But the F6b is my last bike for me, so I went with the one that will last me for 300K.

I was gonna suggest this myself. I put 100+ miles on a rental last fall, and wrote up a report on it here. I really liked it, but overall, the F6B is better in my opinion. Its close though. Each one does different things better. If you value reliability, handling and performance, its gonna be the Honda. Overall comfort and features, Indian.

F6B1911
06-23-2017, 07:01 PM
Thought you were "hung-up" on the new BMW 1600 Bagger!!!....If it ever comes out maybe we can ride over and look at it sometime..Regards and ride safe....

I hear it won't hit showrooms until September?? The dealer on Van Dyke says he has 4 deposits already.
I still love my F6B.

opas ride
06-23-2017, 07:18 PM
I hear it won't hit showrooms until September?? The dealer on Van Dyke says he has 4 deposits already.
I still love my F6B.
I agree and it would take a really, really, terrific bike to sway me away from my F6B!!..Does everything I want and need and it is paid for...Ride safe

broncsrule21
06-24-2017, 01:29 AM
I test rode a new 2017 Road Glide a few weeks ago. It was much nicer than the older ones / more power / stereo etc...
But way too much heat / money / repairs!!!

I then test rode the Yamaha FZ-09 and FJ-09. The Yamaha were awesome and fun!!!

Steve

I've owned the FZ-09. Super fun hooligan bike. I just couldn't justify keeping it, as it is not a good 2-up machine. It wasn't getting much use.

3Chief
06-24-2017, 03:45 AM
Uhhh, we need to talk if your C14 is looking for a good home....
Cheers,
Steve

2012 Kawasaki Concours 14, Candy Arabian Red, just under 11k miles, front tire has under 2k on it, rear tire has under 300 on it (replaced due to a nail), never dropped, minor scuffs from riding in the trailer with the VTX one trip. Asking $10,500.

Nothing wrong with her mechanically, cosmetically only a few rub marks from the VTX in the trailer, mutli-function screen is user friendly unlike a BMW's. The OEM tires caused most of my issues, every time I started to loosen up and feel comfortable on her she'd wash out the front end on a singular piece of pee gravel or the rear would get squirrelly because of rain or oil. After almost 8k I was at my wits end with her and finally talked to a guy at the local stealership. Put some cheap Continentals one her and she stopped doing that silly stuff but still didn't give me that rock solid feeling my VTX has on the road. My last straw was when I was coming home from work one morning in the rain and hit a patch of graded surface where they were redoing the road and she about tossed me. Parked her and road the VTX the next night, same conditions on my way home and the VTX didn't even flinch. That was almost two years ago and I've put maybe 400 miles on her since then. My buddy was going to buy her until his money reducing agent ensured he could not afford to do so. While the B was away I ran two tanks thru her to get all the old fuel out and then parked her an went back to the VTX. To nice a bike to leave rotting in the back of the garage.

speedjunkie
06-24-2017, 07:58 AM

To each his own, but I'd avoid a BDM like the plague! Parts are scarce and the later years were a POS. Get a carbed chopper with NO ecu. Electronic iggy is ok, but stay away from high tech on a chop!

Mike

willtill
06-24-2017, 08:24 AM
To each his own, but I'd avoid a BDM like the plague! Parts are scarce and the later years were a POS. Get a carbed chopper with NO ecu. Electronic iggy is ok, but stay away from high tech on a chop!

Mike

Appreciate the advice. I am a newbie when it comes to choppers. :shhh:

speedjunkie
06-24-2017, 05:51 PM
Appreciate the advice. I am a newbie when it comes to choppers. :shhh:

NP. I personally have no use for any of those high $ garage queens, but then again, to each his own. They're pretty, but fuctionally lacking to me. The problem with customs is just that, everything is custom. Very little off the shelf fits. So, unless you're capable of such mods, you're better off with something more stockish, or something with more aftermarket support. THAT is the single biggest draw to most HD riders, the aftermarket support. I can take nearly any HD frame, knowing the year, and buy parts that will fit. Thereby customizing it and making it my own. There may be a few cheaper aftermarket parts or repop parts for the older frames that need minor mods, but for the newer frames, IE 70's and up? By far, it's plug and play. Aftermarket frames, not so much, that's back into the custom fit category again, so buyer beware.

Examples. My 79 FXEF. Didn't like the stock front end, went with an Ultima 41mm +4" with 5 degree trees. Gave it a nice chopper stance, completely plug and play. Didn't like the stock rear fender, installed a stock WG rear instead, plug and play. Changed the front end to a stock HD springer setup, plug and play. The most work was the 5 into 4 trans installation. I had to cut, bend, and reweld the clutch release arm for clearance. Took an extra 30 minutes. Aside from that, plug and play.

Current project. Rigid aftermarket frame. Bought as a complete roller, minus motor. So, just needs motor, wiring, assembled, and gas right? WRONG! Motor went in ok, trans went in ok, that's where it stops. I had to cut both header pipes in half, re-clock and angle, and clearance to fit in the frame. Upper engine mount won't fit. Found the upper frame mount clocked, soooo, had to correct that. Exhaust bracket, cut off, make new one. Fender brackets, no fit with fender, cut off and make new ones. Rear brake caliper mount, don't make one for the big brakes, so have to modify one to work. Make a relocated regulator bracket to work with oil filter install, etc etc, the list goes on. But, I knew this going in, cause it's a custom in an aftermarket frame. Had it been a factory frame, I'd have been done long ago. But, I enjoy it, so that's ok.

Good luck!

Mike

Bob Penn
06-25-2017, 07:45 AM

Shouldn't the question really be "What am I going to gain"?

The simple answer is, if you're buying it to ride, "NOTHING" If you're buying it to be a show dog you'll get the bill!

Greg O
07-02-2017, 02:19 PM
Look at the new Yamaha Transcontinental Star Venture. Looks sweet.