PDA

View Full Version : Rush Pipes Installed

Bruce B
10-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Installed my new Rush Racing pipes last Saturday and am totally satisfied with the overall quality, fit, finish, etc. I got them in black with the 2.5 inch baffles. Awesome sound. Very deep and powerful sounding. They get pretty raucous when I twist that grip. There is a bit of a drone at freeway speeds. Not a problem though. I know the Cobras are a great unit but if someone wants a different style, I don't think you can go wrong with Rush. Price is right too. Got mine from Phat Performance.

One question for those who already have the Rush pipes or others with changeable baffles that can be pulled out the rear of the pipes. Knowing that I might want to try other sized baffles someday, would it be good to pull these now and apply some anti-seize to them? The baffles are a real precision fit and I wonder if, after a period of time, it could be a real battle to get them out. Your thoughts, please.

HogSlayer
10-14-2013, 08:27 PM
I have Rush pipes too, not sure if antiseize would help or not, since some moisture will accumulate when the bike sits for awhile in a moist atmosphere. My old school guess would be light tapping on the baffles to break loose any rust that has formed. Did you check the Rush site to see if there' any info about changing baffles. One of us should check it out, YOU check it out since you started the thread!:lolup:

Bruce B
10-14-2013, 08:34 PM
I have Rush pipes too, not sure if antiseize would help or not, since some moisture will accumulate when the bike sits for awhile in a moist atmosphere. My old school guess would be light tapping on the baffles to break loose any rust that has formed. Did you check the Rush site to see if there' any info about changing baffles. One of us should check it out, YOU check it out since you started the thread!:lolup:

Sounds like a plan. I'll check with them tomorrow. The pipes are so nicely made that there isn't any slop in the fit.

bobbyf6b
10-14-2013, 08:42 PM
:postpics:

I don't think we've seen pics of the black ones.

HogSlayer
10-14-2013, 08:43 PM
They are well made I have no complaints, love the sound.

Scotrod
10-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Trying to see what, if any, downside there would be,,, Can't think of any offhand,,,

Are the pipes ceramic coated inside?

Bruce B
10-15-2013, 12:19 AM
:postpics:

I don't think we've seen pics of the black ones.

I'll try for some pics this weekend. My Madstad windshield arrives late tomorrow and I'll wait until that's mounted before I get to the pics.

jkelley
10-15-2013, 02:30 AM
The easiest way to get the baffles out is to remove the muffler and knock them out from the input side using a piece of wood or something similar.
I have run several sets on Harleys and getting them out through the rear although not impossible using a slide hammer was sometimes difficult.
I am a firm believer in anti seize.. Just my $.02

F6B-RICH
10-15-2013, 09:09 AM
When I was changing baffles and doing some experimenting I got a threaded rod and bent a hook in it.I slipped it in the baffle moved it to one side and pulled came out with no problems.That was on the Torq Masters they have 2 baffles for each pipe.

Scotrod
10-15-2013, 10:03 AM
Does Rush weld a bar across the tail end of the baffles?

Saw that somewhere, but can't recall for sure it was Rush.

Bruce B
10-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Does Rush weld a bar across the tail end of the baffles?

Saw that somewhere, but can't recall for sure it was Rush.

Yes, Rush has a good, stout bar welded across the tail end of the baffle. It looks strong enough to handle any pulling force you could apply to it.

I also just got off the phone with Rush. Asked the guy if they'd recommend using some anti-seize to make future baffle removal easier. He said he'd never heard of it but that it couldn't hurt anything and he did admit that after a while, they can be stuck quite firmly. Nothing I hadn't already figured out but it is the common sense answer. I'll be going the anti-seize route.

Rikrok
10-15-2013, 05:38 PM
It is usually carbon build up that holds in tight. Spray some carb cleaner in there and typically they break free.

BLACKBETTY12
10-15-2013, 05:56 PM
Are these Rush Slip-ons equal to the stock pipe length? Price?

bobbyf6b
10-15-2013, 07:14 PM
:icon_google:

http://www.rushracingproducts.com/goldwing%201800.html

Bruce B
10-15-2013, 07:40 PM
Are these Rush Slip-ons equal to the stock pipe length? Price?

The pipes are a bit shorter and do not quite reach the end of the bags. I'll be posting some pictures next week after I get the new Madstad windshield mounted and post pics of that too. I got mine for $479.95 at Phat Performance (www.phatperformanceparts.com). Rush Racing does not sell direct but suggested several online dealers that I could use. To save on shipping, I picked the closest one. Phat Performance is in southern Calif. and was great to deal with. The pipes were drop shipped straight from Rush to me. Wingstuff does not carry this line of pipes. If checking out these pipes on line, look for those for the GL1800. Those are what's used for the F6B.

yellowskeeter1
10-16-2013, 05:09 PM

They are a tad short but I like how they look. Rush is supposed to have a new longer tip any day if no already.

BLACKBETTY12
10-16-2013, 07:45 PM
The pipes are a bit shorter and do not quite reach the end of the bags. I'll be posting some pictures next week after I get the new Madstad windshield mounted and post pics of that too. I got mine for $479.95 at Phat Performance (www.phatperformanceparts.com). Rush Racing does not sell direct but suggested several online dealers that I could use. To save on shipping, I picked the closest one. Phat Performance is in southern Calif. and was great to deal with. The pipes were drop shipped straight from Rush to me. Wingstuff does not carry this line of pipes. If checking out these pipes on line, look for those for the GL1800. Those are what's used for the F6B.

Thank you Bruce! Remember to post those pictures when you have a chance!

Schuvwj
10-16-2013, 09:27 PM
I would have to see what type of tip extension they come out with to extend the end of the exhaust past the side bags. Being shorter would promote drone!

dickiedeals
10-16-2013, 10:23 PM
I would have to see what type of tip extension they come out with to extend the end of the exhaust past the side bags. Being shorter would promote drone!

They hardly drone at all compared to the Cobra 6x1's or whatever they call them. Dickie

Schuvwj
10-19-2013, 11:26 PM
I would like to have zero drone. I will still wait for their longer tips

Bruce B
10-22-2013, 03:00 AM
Finally got a few pics of the Rush pipes. Would like to have some video with sound to send to but I don't think my phone is up to that. From what I've heard on another thread, they sound much like the Cobras. I may change baffles to tame them down a bit. 2720272127222723

MichaelG
10-22-2013, 08:16 AM
That looks good, Bruce. I like that you also had the front covers coated to match the pipes. :yes:

kjelders
10-22-2013, 08:35 AM
Nice look Bruce!

Scotrod
10-22-2013, 10:19 AM
NICE!!! :yes:
Any idea how long the baffles are?
Are they wrapped or nekked?

bobbyf6b
10-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Looks GREAT! Thanks for the pics. :icon_cool:

Bruce B
10-23-2013, 07:56 PM
NICE!!! :yes:
Any idea how long the baffles are?
Are they wrapped or nekked?

Don't know. Check out Rush Racing.

FlyinF
10-23-2013, 09:21 PM
I just changed my baffles from 2.5 to 2.
2.5 is a nice sound cruising around town but on the Interstate at 75+ for hours on end is just a little much. 2 has the same rumble just a little tamer. The baffle is around 12-15 inches long, almost the length of the muffler. It was very easy to pull out, the mount hardware was really torqued, had to squirt some liquid wrench. I was surprised to see the packing was wrapped with masking tape and it was already brittle with only couple hundred miles on them (they say in time they get louder I guess because the tape splits open and the stuff breaks up, for this reason I put plenty anti-seize on everything for the next time).
Rush is a good product, would buy again.

Bruce B
10-24-2013, 01:18 AM
I just changed my baffles from 2.5 to 2.
2.5 is a nice sound cruising around town but on the Interstate at 75+ for hours on end is just a little much. 2 has the same rumble just a little tamer. The baffle is around 12-15 inches long, almost the length of the muffler. It was very easy to pull out, the mount hardware was really torqued, had to squirt some liquid wrench. I was surprised to see the packing was wrapped with masking tape and it was already brittle with only couple hundred miles on them (they say in time they get louder I guess because the tape splits open and the stuff breaks up, for this reason I put plenty anti-seize on everything for the next time).
Rush is a good product, would buy again.

Thanks for your thoughts on the 2.0 inch baffles. I think that's the way I'll be going. Good to hear from someone who's done it.

Trailercash
11-09-2013, 06:08 AM
I have the 2.25 baffle and it has drone. Has anyone put the longer tips on? I looked on Rush website and can not find the 2. baffle.

Great looking pipes

Thanks
Bob

dickiedeals
11-09-2013, 09:57 AM
I have the 2.25 baffle and it has drone. Has anyone put the longer tips on? I looked on Rush website and can not find the 2. baffle.

Great looking pipes

Thanks
Bob

I've got the longer tips on order now. Soon as I get them I'll post a photo and report if there is a difference.
Dickie

Bruce B
11-09-2013, 10:08 AM

Great looking pipes

Thanks
Bob

I have just installed the 2" baffles. They are not shown on the website but Rush has them and their dealers can get them. Rush can give you the part number but your dealer will probably want to call to verify and to get verify pricing (which is the same as the other baffles). The 2 inch baffles reduce drone to, for me, a very acceptable level. Way better than my 2.5 inchers were. That being said, we know that 6 little pistons are never going to sound like 2 big ones.

Trailercash
11-09-2013, 12:21 PM
Thanks all. Rush said longer tips Nov 1st. I will call them order the tips and the baffle. Pipes looks great

Pedro66
11-09-2013, 12:39 PM
I have the 2" baffles with extra wrapping they sound pretty good I have some longer tips being made by a friend I gave up waiting on Rush