PDA

View Full Version : F6B Break-in period

deb99
06-27-2017, 05:50 PM
I have been riding this 2016 F6B for past 2-3 weeks and now has little less than 800 miles on teh belt I'll probably get to like this big girl, but every mile covered is a constant reminder that this is not a Concours C14. I figure there is a break-in period, but it really is extremely slouchy right now. Anyway, sometime ago I came across reference of break-in period that BigLry could have written but not able to find it. Appreciate if someone could share the link if they know it. Need to see what more to expect before deciding to unload. Thx for input.

VStarRider
06-27-2017, 06:16 PM
I have been riding this 2016 F6B for past 2-3 weeks and now has little less than 800 miles on teh belt I'll probably get to like this big girl, but every mile covered is a constant reminder that this is not a Concours C14. I figure there is a break-in period, but it really is extremely slouchy right now. Anyway, sometime ago I came across reference of break-in period that BigLry could have written but not able to find it. Appreciate if someone could share the link if they know it. Need to see what more to expect before deciding to unload. Thx for input.

Slouchy. Now there's a word you don't hear describing the F6B too often.

I have never ridden a Concours, but I am guessing it is a higher-revving freewheeling horsepower monster.

Your flat-six Honda will not react the way your Kawi did...it is more of a "push" than a "pull". Lots of thrust, not arm-ripping, wheelie-popping power. It is a Cadillac Northstar V8 rather than a Civic Si with a 9000 rpm redline.

Have you rolled on the throttle hard in each gear? If so, are you still disappointed?

willtill
06-27-2017, 06:22 PM
You already have miles on it....

...ride it like you stole it. Seriously. Can you see I am serious? :thumb:

The F6B is not equipped with an S&S engine.

Just check the oil and GO!

53driver
06-27-2017, 06:25 PM

Here's a pretty thorough How-To:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Cheers,
Steve

willtill
06-27-2017, 06:39 PM
Here's a pretty thorough How-To:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Cheers,
Steve

Steve,

You've overwhelmed him. With the same advice I gave him.

Remember K.I.S.S.

Ride it like you stole it.

53driver
06-27-2017, 06:45 PM

If she is still all stock, do that ECM reset procedure.....sounds like something is (perhaps literally) amiss.
I'd also run some Seafoam through her and clean her out really well.

As mentioned already, "slouchy" has never been used to describe this bike.
Keep us informed.
Steve

deb99
06-28-2017, 08:36 AM
Steve... Thx for the link. Although i am not sure that's the one i had in mind, it was interesting and useful info. More than likely, I'll be taking his suggestion to be more agressive with the throttle to help break-in.

I seem to have struck a nerve with term "slouchy F6B". When you come from a C14 for past 5 years where you can start cruising at 95mph at the flick of the wrist, to being on F6B that you have to push and fight to get to 80mph.... it can be very disappointing. Especially when you remember all the reviews you read about how response and quick the F6B is, you begin to wonder if these writers were collecting from Honda.

Anyway, bike is just 3 weeks and it's still stock. Only LED lights been added. Not sure i need seafoam right now, but will get a can to try. Maybe the bike just needs a couple more miles to break.

For those who have not been on the C14, you have NO IDEA WHAT YOU ALL MISSING. Now wondering if I need 2 bikes, but cfo might have issue with that.

53driver
06-28-2017, 08:43 AM
Steve... Thx for the link. Although i am not sure that's the one i had in mind, it was interesting and useful info. More than likely, I'll be taking his suggestion to be more agressive with the throttle to help break-in.

I seem to have struck a nerve with term "slouchy F6B". When you come from a C14 for past 5 years where you can start cruising at 95mph at the flick of the wrist, to being on F6B that you have to push and fight to get to 80mph.... it can be very disappointing. Especially when you remember all the reviews you read about how response and quick the F6B is, you begin to wonder if these writers were collecting from Honda.

Anyway, bike is just 3 weeks and it's still stock. Only LED lights been added. Not sure i need seafoam right now, but will get a can to try. Maybe the bike just needs a couple more miles to break.

For those who have not been on the C14, you have NO IDEA WHAT YOU ALL MISSING. Now wondering if I need 2 bikes, but cfo might have issue with that.

Copy all. I would still perform that ECM reset....only takes 15 minutes and no interaction from you. Someone at the dealership may have not reset it properly and it made a big difference to me.
I have no issues getting 95+, except the local Sheriff suddenly wants to have a quick conversation......

Cycle World defined the F6B as a "Heavy Cruiser" - I'm sure the C14 is not in that category.
Caveat - been looking at a C14 for the lean angle as a third bike to teach the Advanced Rider Course on.... :shhh:
Cheers,
Steve

Old Ryder
06-28-2017, 08:52 AM

My "break in" was a 350 mile ride home on I-95 and ---coming off a V Twin I was scared to death that I was going to get a ticket. I had the hardest time keeping it under 85 MPH. I am serious! Without cruise I was constantly--and subconsciously blowing by everybody racing the sun to get home. Comparing the B to the Kawi is like eating a lemon and orange at the same time. They both have their place but they are not the same other than both being fruit with seeds.

deb99
06-28-2017, 09:50 AM
My "break in" was a 350 mile ride home on I-95 and ---coming off a V Twin I was scared to death that I was going to get a ticket. I had the hardest time keeping it under 85 MPH. I am serious! Without cruise I was constantly--and subconsciously blowing by everybody racing the sun to get home. Comparing the B to the Kawi is like eating a lemon and orange at the same time. They both have their place but they are not the same other than both being fruit with seeds.
Which is the lemon?:icon_rolleyes:

Old Ryder
06-28-2017, 12:29 PM
Which is the lemon?:icon_rolleyes:

LOL!!!! Doesn't matter--- I like both!:icon_cool:

cruzdog954
06-28-2017, 05:13 PM
http://www.zeroto60times.com/body-style/motorcycle/

The GoldWing does 0-60 in 5.4 seconds. The F6b is a lot lighter.
the Kawi Concurs 14 does it in 3.1 seconds. That is a Superbike with luggage. Not same category.

That being said, I came off a Honda RC51 and had the same experience. But a few weeks in, you do get your heart racing, just differently.

Don't race Bimmers, race Harleys.

53driver
06-28-2017, 05:35 PM
http://www.zeroto60times.com/body-style/motorcycle/

The GoldWing does 0-60 in 5.4 seconds. The F6b is a lot lighter.
the Kawi Concurs 14 does it in 3.1 seconds. That is a Superbike with luggage. Not same category.

That being said, I came off a Honda RC51 and had the same experience. But a few weeks in, you do get your heart racing, just differently.

Don't race Bimmers, race Harleys.

F6B 0-60 is 3.3 sec per Cycle World.....

VStarRider
06-28-2017, 07:04 PM
MCN has the F6B at 3.8 secs 0-60 and a 12.0 second quarter mile.

Despite the similar performance numbers, I am guessing the Kawi, considering the nature of the bike, feels a lot faster. Power delivery with the flat-six is more like an electric motor with gears.

I am sure the Concours is a blast to ride; just not my style. I would more likely drift towards a Chieftain than in the other direction (sport-touring). I would still like to try one sometime.

Blk6bgg6
06-29-2017, 09:10 AM
I have to ask did you test ride the f6b,I know some dealers don't allow and that's crap.Anyway all of the replies are very accurate.I rode Kaw crotch rockets for years and they have strong engines.The Connie not much different than the those.I actually steered stepson to a good used one and yeah it gets up and goes.Having said that the f6b may become acquired taste.I can't believe how this bike grew on me,it just does everything well except backing the girl up.I suggest give it more time and I'm thinking wife or gf will like riding this.good luck

53driver
06-29-2017, 09:32 AM
Found the link to the Cycle World "F6B vs. CVO Road Glide."

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/04/22/harley-davidson-cvo-road-glide-vs-honda-gold-wing-f6b-deluxe-comparison-test#page-6

Cheers,
Steve

rudymsmith
06-29-2017, 04:43 PM

no pushing or fighting on my F6B it is throttle and hold on baby!

grendl
06-30-2017, 06:57 PM
I can relate to your comparison.
The bike I rode before my F6B was a 1000F Hurricane. Not quite the league of Kaw's 1400 but the detuned version in the Connie probably puts me close.
Once I got the F6B I knew it wasnt going to ride my Hurricane much and had to talk myself into it.
Now I am guilty and thinking I should sell it because I dont ride it anymore.Someone could be enjoying that speed.
Thing is want I am looking for . I couldn't ride the Hurricane 500 miles without needing a crowbar to get me off. The F6 I can stay on all day and regret the end of the ride.
It's fast enough and once it's rollin' 5th overdrive has no problem getting from 80 up over the 100mph mark.On a good day I have kept up with the sport bikes in the mountains.(I know that depends on the rider) On some days the Harleys keep up with me :-)
Keep riding it get used to how it acts and decide.
My bet is on the F6B - and Honda doesnt send me a dime.....

VStarRider
06-30-2017, 09:30 PM
Man, I must live in a bubble or haven't ridden enough bikes. I think the F6B is damn fast. It stunned me when I got on it the first time and was to 60 in what seemed like an instant.

Of course, I have only ridden an old GS650, two 1100 VStars, a Pacific Coast, and a CC Tour. Perhaps my frame of reference is way off.

Are these other bikes (Concours, Hurricane) really that much faster?!? If so, aye carumba!

Jimmytee
07-01-2017, 05:02 AM
I think you just need to give it a little time and put some miles on her. Get her on some twisty mountain roads and just ride. I find these bikes are the most fun the twisties. The low center of gravity combined with the very broad power band lets you ride just cruising or attack corners with some vigor. I find plenty of entertainment attacking corners with revs 4K and above. :icon_wink:

willtill
07-01-2017, 05:54 AM
The only thing I don't like about the F6B is how easily it will scrape the pegs. I don't like scraping pegs; if at all.

Jimmytee
07-01-2017, 06:14 AM
The only thing I don't like about the F6B is how easily it will scrape the pegs. I don't like scraping pegs; if at all.

I put titanium pucks on my pegs, With the Progressive front end and the Arnott air ride in the rear, Mine doesn't scrape as easily. Add a little body english , and riding technique and scraping can be held to a very minimal occurrence. But yes, if I am pushing her she is going to scrape. But it now happens at higher rates of speed.

wjduke
07-01-2017, 06:35 AM
Over 28,000 miles and I haven't scraped a peg yet. My boot touched once, kinda like seaweed hitting your foot in the ocean...ok, call me grandma

willtill
07-01-2017, 06:51 AM
I put titanium pucks on my pegs, With the Progressive front end and the Arnott air ride in the rear, Mine doesn't scrape as easily. Add a little body english , and riding technique and scraping can be held to a very minimal occurrence. But yes, if I am pushing her she is going to scrape. But it now happens at higher rates of speed.

I did this to my new Kinetic pegs that I installed; in the hopes of preserving them (see below link):

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?8969-Really-tired-of-scraping-my-pegs&highlight=Kinetic

I think rider pegs on the F6B should be deemed as a consumable... :shhh:

VStarRider
07-01-2017, 07:35 AM
Over 28,000 miles and I haven't scraped a peg yet. My boot touched once, kinda like seaweed hitting your foot in the ocean...ok, call me grandma

11,500, and I haven't either. I continue to get a little more comfortable each time I ride, so I'm guessing it's inevitable.

I once scraped a boot too...making a sharp left with my heel on the peg and toe under shifter.

unsub
07-01-2017, 08:32 PM
I figure there is a break-in period, but it really is extremely slouchy right now. Thx for input.

Did you mean "couchy" ? I could certainly see that. :icon_biggrin:

Welcome to the B Hive, by the way.:039:

Bryster
07-03-2017, 01:24 AM
I ride a work FJR13 all day... 5 speed model. And the motor is powerful the acceleration is brilliant, but after 10 hours a day you're tired.

The F6 you point, engage cruise, and relax, I still catch myself cornering too hard occasionally with an odd scrape and a bellow from SWMBO, hopefully the full progressive upgrade will alleviate that slightly. Different horses for courses I guess.

deb99
07-08-2017, 02:22 PM
I have to ask did you test ride the f6b,I know some dealers don't allow and that's crap.Anyway all of the replies are very accurate.I rode Kaw crotch rockets for years and they have strong engines.The Connie not much different than the those.I actually steered stepson to a good used one and yeah it gets up and goes.Having said that the f6b may become acquired taste.I can't believe how this bike grew on me,it just does everything well except backing the girl up.I suggest give it more time and I'm thinking wife or gf will like riding this.good luck

No, did not test ride. I am yet to come across a dealer that allow test rides. Nevertheless, like you said, F6B might really be an acquired taste whereas the C14 was such a beast. Planning on enjoying F6B as much as I can this season, and will be even trying to get some longer rides in. Wife not into riding which is why I did F6B. Thx for input, and keep safe.

deb99
07-08-2017, 02:32 PM
Man, I must live in a bubble or haven't ridden enough bikes. I think the F6B is damn fast. It stunned me when I got on it the first time and was to 60 in what seemed like an instant.

Of course, I have only ridden an old GS650, two 1100 VStars, a Pacific Coast, and a CC Tour. Perhaps my frame of reference is way off.

Are these other bikes (Concours, Hurricane) really that much faster?!? If so, aye carumba!

YES!!!

deb99
07-08-2017, 02:35 PM
Did you mean "couchy" ? I could certainly see that. :icon_biggrin:

Welcome to the B Hive, by the way.:039:

LOL !!!! Maybe I should really have said couchy since I sometimes feel like falling asleep.... especially when cruise is on...

Zteve
07-17-2017, 06:37 PM
LOL !!!! Maybe I should really have said couchy since I sometimes feel like falling asleep.... especially when cruise is on...

The Concours 14 felt slow to me when coming from a ZZR1200. The F6B's power delivery is quite different and takes a while to get used to. At least it did for me. It's actually pretty fast. 0 to 60 is within a few tenths of second to the C14. The F6B is just so dam comfortable. Scrapping those pegs should wake you up:yikes:

bob109
07-18-2017, 05:29 AM

Have almost 55K miles on the clock and never dragged a peg! I can honestly say that about every bike I've ever owned! Guess I'm a bit "Faint-Hearted" when it comes too that "spark flying maneuver"! Some believe it a "manly skill/trait", but IMHO, it simply demonstrates a condition of "overly-large gonads" (ego/bragging right). Everyone has their own riding style and know's their own limitations. I'll leave "laying my 6 on its side" for changing the "rear tire":shhh:

Bob Penn
07-18-2017, 06:55 AM
I thought the scraping was built into the bike to wake us old people up when the road straightened out.

Jimmytee
07-18-2017, 07:17 AM
Have almost 55K miles on the clock and never dragged a peg! I can honestly say that about every bike I've ever owned! Guess I'm a bit "Faint-Hearted" when it comes too that "spark flying maneuver"! Some believe it a "manly skill/trait", but IMHO, it simply demonstrates a condition of "overly-large gonads" (ego/bragging right). Everyone has their own riding style and know's their own limitations. I'll leave "laying my 6 on its side" for changing the "rear tire":shhh:

Not making any judgments here. However, I will respond that this bike will scrape pretty easily. One doesn't have to ride them that hard to scrape the pegs.

I will also add, that I have followed others on their F6Bs and listened to them scrape every corner while I didn't touch down once. Riding technique can make a difference.

I put the Air Ride on mine and now I have even more cornering clearance on demand. :icon_wink:

After I installed the Titanium pucks on my pegs, I found myself negating some of my learned technique to purposely drag my pegs to throw sparks. :icon_lol:

Like in this pic.

http://i.imgur.com/go0pCsk.jpg

06Blackpearl
07-18-2017, 08:19 AM
Well I came off a 2012 ZX14R

And while the B doesn't accelerate like it did, I have no problem hitting 80 in a quick manner for the size of the bike.

Just ride it ... change oil and ride some more .