PDA

View Full Version : Here's what Utopia needs to do to the backrest

hiflyer
10-15-2013, 09:04 PM
Make it half the heighth it is now. The stock seat is so low the backrest rides too high in my back. Put the rest back on and rode the bike to the office today, 60 mile commute, and I just can't use it as is. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see if they can modify mine. As it is now, it is not comfortable to me, and I'd really like the option to use it or not.

Scotrod
10-15-2013, 09:35 PM
This may sound strange, but try leaning the backrest back a bit.

I've never had a Utopia, but the RDL backrest I had once was 'up there' quite a ways on my VTX. If I ran it too far ahead, it felt like it was pushing my shoulders.

Leaned it back a bit, and all was well.

hiflyer
10-15-2013, 09:42 PM
Well, I've posted all over the board tonight on this thing, sorry guys. I drilled another hole in the brace the rest attaches to and lowered it, feels better in the garage, but will know more tomorrow

dickiedeals
10-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Well, I've posted all over the board tonight on this thing, sorry guys. I drilled another hole in the brace the rest attaches to and lowered it, feels better in the garage, but will know more tomorrow

I agree it rides too high on the back. I've adjusted mine forward, backward, of course as low as it will go. I'm trying to get used to it. rationalizing that its just different than what I've been accustomed too on the HD. I've logged 1600 miles with it like it is and still not used to it. It definitely needs to be lower. Did drilling another hole help enough? I also feel that the shape of the stock seat being tapered on a gradual angle probably has alot to do with it. Leaves a gap between your butt and the seat when leaning against the back rest. Any more than 200 miles and my back is killing me and my butt numb. I may have to replace it with something else but trying to keep an open mind. Dickie

Scotrod
10-16-2013, 12:22 PM
Not sure if this is a viable option, but can a person purchase a smaller pad from (whomever) and mount it to the existing hardware,,, drill a few more holes?

If one could come up with the pad somehow, surely it wouldn't be a 'break the bank' kind of adventure...

Mrf13
10-16-2013, 02:41 PM
I drilled more holes and lowered mine as far as it would go. Much better

Would like to get a smaller back pad, about half the size I think would be great.

hondabikepro
10-16-2013, 03:37 PM
Make it half the heighth it is now. The stock seat is so low the backrest rides too high in my back. Put the rest back on and rode the bike to the office today, 60 mile commute, and I just can't use it as is. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see if they can modify mine. As it is now, it is not comfortable to me, and I'd really like the option to use it or not.

i just put on 3600 miles last week, but i did have a local shop add two inch to the seat height, on my f6b now the backrest works better for me at six foot three. dale

gordonrule
10-16-2013, 04:48 PM
I am thinking on buying the backrest but am afraid to cut seat for the install of backrest, is it easy as they show??

hiflyer
10-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Installing the backrest is straightforward and easy. The hardest part is getting the seat off and on. That said, after drilling another hole in the backrest support and getting it a little lower, I had a good commute using the backrest, but I'd still like the back pad to be a couple of inches shorter. It is a quality product. If I were you, I'd get the quick release mount so you can make the option of using it or not easier and quicker.