PDA

View Full Version : Moto Industry Dying?

dezzertrider
07-08-2017, 12:28 AM
Probably not news to anyone here, but this article was published three days ago. We need new blood...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-05/can-millennials-save-the-motorcycle-industry

MisterB
07-08-2017, 01:37 PM
From the article:

"Profit margins are far fatter on something like a Honda Gold Wing F6B, an 844-pound locomotive that starts at $20,500. But that swollen kit doesn’t hold much street cred where Pacheco parks in Manhattan, in part because the folks buying those big cruisers are quickly transitioning from the roadhouse to the golf course."

Locomotive? I guess that makes us engineers!

Sounds like they're all working hard to get new riders. They'll get hooked and eventually need something bigger and the cycle will begin anew.

jmdaniel
07-09-2017, 06:36 AM
From the article:

"Profit margins are far fatter on something like a Honda Gold Wing F6B, an 844-pound locomotive that starts at $20,500. But that swollen kit doesn’t hold much street cred where Pacheco parks in Manhattan, in part because the folks buying those big cruisers are quickly transitioning from the roadhouse to the golf course."

Locomotive? I guess that makes us engineers!

Sounds like they're all working hard to get new riders. They'll get hooked and eventually need something bigger and the cycle will begin anew.

I'm just happy my name isn't Pacheco and I've never been to Manhattan. The rest is gravy.

TripleDuck
07-09-2017, 08:04 AM
I read with interest - that article played out the many chapters of my 48+ year riding life and I'm positive its a relevant article as I seen it with my own eyes. However, I've always been a Ducatisti and have owned a half dozen through the years. I can look at a sea of bikes and to me the Ducatis stand out like a stripper at family reunion - I notice them. The author writes that "In its first full year its Scrambler was on the market, Ducati sold 15,000 of them—28 percent of its total business." I must say I've never seen one on the road - not one. I also haven't seen an abundance of the light/mid weight bikes mentioned. I can't help but wonder if the trend isn't a regional phenomena.

Jimmytee
07-09-2017, 08:35 AM
If I was 16 -18 years old, I'd give that Rebel a try.:icon_wink: Looks like a fun bike for short rides. My first street bike at 16 was a '81 GL500 Silver Wing Interstate. Was a fun bike and I , of course , customized the stereo. :icon_wink: I sold my dirt bike to help buy te Kenwood cassette deck and the Alpine speakers I put in it., Plus a new helmet.

unsub
07-17-2017, 10:44 AM
If I was 16 -18 years old, I'd give that Rebel a try.:icon_wink: Looks like a fun bike for short rides. My first street bike at 16 was a '81 GL500 Silver Wing Interstate. Was a fun bike and I , of course , customized the stereo. :icon_wink: I sold my dirt bike to help buy te Kenwood cassette deck and the Alpine speakers I put in it., Plus a new helmet.

Wow I remember that kind of kit not being cheap! I thought and still think the GL500 is a pretty cool bike.

jm21ddd15
07-17-2017, 01:26 PM
Young people aren't buying cycles because they can't do their stupid "face book" and texting , while they ride. Sometimes technology is not so good. :nono:

Steve 0080
07-17-2017, 06:03 PM
+1 :yes:

Old Ryder
07-17-2017, 07:48 PM
Most guys here are "Motorheads" that grew up in the muscle car era and appreciate how mechanical things work. That generation is vanishing. Most people don't even change their own oil. Cars no longer have personality and it is creating a generation that view cars ot any motor vehicle as a tool to transport a body. Older generations see it as art with gears and combustion engines that mesmerized young men. JMHO

BIGLRY
07-18-2017, 09:48 AM
Most guys here are "Motorheads" that grew up in the muscle car era and appreciate how mechanical things work. That generation is vanishing. Most people don't even change their own oil. Cars no longer have personality and it is creating a generation that view cars ot any motor vehicle as a tool to transport a body. Older generations see it as art with gears and combustion engines that mesmerized young men. JMHO
http://www.mlgw.com/images/content/images/Photos2/Plus1LogoNew01.jpg