PDA

View Full Version : When will we ever be able

shortleg0521
07-08-2017, 12:41 PM
When will we ever be able to add pictures to ths site.
I know it cost nothing to us but if it starts to be a pain
how are we going to get around it.´
Come on guys get to work, would any other bussiness put up with this-
Think of the sponsers that are on here.
Thanks just needed to rant, this is starting to getto me a bit.

MisterB
07-08-2017, 05:39 PM
There's probably not much money in running this site, usually a labor of love.
Every image, and the transferal of that image from the location that hosts the site to your computer is storage and data transfer. This all costs money. Think of it in terms of data plans on smartphones, more data = more money.

I was surprised that this site allowed us to upload photos to the site for hosting, big sites don't.
Every little pic of a bike, accessory, etc adds up. Every time someone views a page that is transfer. Every time someone replies with quote and doesn't delete the images the site operators pay for that storage and transfer.

You'll have to learn how to use a 3rd party site to host your photos. Yes, photobucket has gone nuts, but there are others.
If the site was limited to text only it could be hosted on a home server. Trying to handle all of the photos and thousands of views is a commitment level that requires money.

If this is a pain then just wait til you try to find something better. I haven't looked too deeply into the other F6B sites but the fact is you're gonna have to pay one way or another - either with your time using image hosting sites or by using a site that has tons of ads or (ugh) some group on Farcebook.

If you look around you may even find browser extensions that make the process of uploading photos to hosting site easier.
Post what browser you use and let's see if we can get something going for you!

shortleg0521
07-08-2017, 10:09 PM
There's probably not much money in running this site, usually a labor of love.
Every image, and the transferal of that image from the location that hosts the site to your computer is storage and data transfer. This all costs money. Think of it in terms of data plans on smartphones, more data = more money.

I was surprised that this site allowed us to upload photos to the site for hosting, big sites don't.
Every little pic of a bike, accessory, etc adds up. Every time someone views a page that is transfer. Every time someone replies with quote and doesn't delete the images the site operators pay for that storage and transfer.

You'll have to learn how to use a 3rd party site to host your photos. Yes, photobucket has gone nuts, but there are others.
If the site was limited to text only it could be hosted on a home server. Trying to handle all of the photos and thousands of views is a commitment level that requires money.

If this is a pain then just wait til you try to find something better. I haven't looked too deeply into the other F6B sites but the fact is you're gonna have to pay one way or another - either with your time using image hosting sites or by using a site that has tons of ads or (ugh) some group on Farcebook.

If you look around you may even find browser extensions that make the process of uploading photos to hosting site easier.
Post what browser you use and let's see if we can get something going for you!

I use Googl chrome, I relize its alabor of love for this site to exsist,I would love some help from those that are more smart about this here stuff.
thanks for the sholder my brother, it just hurts to go backwards.
Any suggestion what a guy can do

MisterB
07-08-2017, 11:13 PM
Here's a browser add-on that I think will allow you to easily post to imgur hosting service.
After you upload your photos they will have links that you'll copy and paste in the text box that pops up when you click the icon of a picture frame up above the text area in your response to posts. It's to the left of the film strip icon. I need an extension to prevent my run on sentences!

There may be others, this will just get your feet wet.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/imgur-uploader/lcpkicdemehhmkjolekhlglljnkggfcf?hl=en

Robert

vmaxed
07-09-2017, 07:05 AM
Testing out new site for posting pics. imgur.com

http://i.imgur.com/nVZgA4I.jpg (http://imgur.com/nVZgA4I)

2wheelsforme
07-09-2017, 08:20 AM
That is nice, the picture quality, the location scenery and the bike. Now if we can refrain from posting an answer with the picture reposted we might reduce our bandwidth required which only puts the same picture up again.

Steve 0080
07-09-2017, 09:12 PM
Looks like moving forward we will need to add a second party to add pics like Photo Bucket....

unsub
07-10-2017, 08:32 PM

I haven't heard that expression before. What does it mean?

jmdaniel
07-11-2017, 08:27 AM
I haven't heard that expression before. What does it mean?

It doesn't mean anything other than a missed space.

get to

:icon_biggrin:

imported_SimTech
07-11-2017, 03:09 PM

Hello y'all.

This is definitely a labor of love. I personally have logged about 250 hours over the last few months trying to fix the attachments issue. We've even employed the support of the manufacturer of the VBulletin software to help us, and that gave no cigar.

At the moment, the issue is that somehow during the several server moves we did, the user numbers and the corresponding pictures attached to them have become mismatched.

This is incredibly complex and after fooling with it and how long it took to fix 1 picture, I figure it will be somewhere in the realm of another 1,000+ hours to rectify.

I might be able to find some new attachment addon, however Vbulletin 4 (which we are using) has become outdated, and most support for it has been canceled.

That being said: What would you like to do? These are the current choices, either we must use a third party picture host like imgur, or photobucket ( I am happy to write a guide for you on how to use them. ) Or we need to start the forum over. A whole new one. From scratch. And MAYBE we can import the data back in over time.

98valk
07-11-2017, 04:08 PM
I think it would be nice if the old pictures were still available.

But, I think it is much more important if we could start posting new pictures asap, like before. Then if someday, the older pictures could be revived - even better.

Not being able to post pics easily like before is not a good thing for this site. I'll leave it at that. :stirthepot:

BIGLRY
07-11-2017, 06:58 PM
I think it would be nice if the old pictures were still available.

But, I think it is much more important if we could start posting new pictures asap, like before. Then if someday, the older pictures could be revived - even better.

Not being able to post pics easily like before is not a good thing for this site. I'll leave it at that. :stirthepot:
I agree!:icon_biggrin:

terryboyle
07-11-2017, 07:45 PM
Let's go forward and if ever we can resurrect the old stuff that would be nice but not the end of the world if we can't.

edgeman55
07-12-2017, 02:40 PM
First off thanks for all the hours you have put in to try and fix the sites problems.I say start over with a fresh site.Were all grown ups here we can live without the old pics if we have to.I don't pay for the use of this site so I feel it would be out of place to bitch about problems others are investing there time to fix for free.Do what is easiest for you.

Walcrow
07-12-2017, 03:16 PM
As posted earlier, PB can kiss my old a_ _! and I would think that their $399 fee would not be waived for any 3rd party hosting for a new site. The one I just started using, imgur, is probably the same or easier to use than PB. I think that anyone's old PB pics are gone forever and would never be able to be posted again on any new forum. I'm all in if a new forum is started up. We all love gazing at others creations and goodies. Include me in the group thanking those who have taken their time and energy to attempt fixing this site.

P.Sutton
08-15-2017, 01:51 PM
Any plans to restore the ability to post pics without a third party host?

53driver
08-15-2017, 02:02 PM
Any plans to restore the ability to post pics without a third party host?

I'm throwing this over the canal to Phantom.
He maintains strict administrative control over the website.

Cheers,
Steve

choptop
08-15-2017, 03:43 PM
I seldom post pics, was not aware that we could no longer post a pic w/out a third party thing, we were able to w/out third party in the past, weren't we. Would be nice to get a definitive answer if it was going back to the old way or if I need, don't want to, use a third party. Thank you.

P.Sutton
09-10-2017, 07:30 PM
More than a few people "wishing" they could post pics over the last few days.

Any chance we will ever know if this is going to happen?

shortleg0521
09-10-2017, 08:09 PM
More than a few people "wishing" they could post pics over the last few days.

Any chance we will ever know if this is going to happen?

Just resign yourself to the fact that this is the way it,should going to be !

willtill
09-11-2017, 05:08 AM
Just resign yourself to the fact that this is the way it,should going to be !

Agree.

And probably best to just use a third party pic hosting site anyway. That way you can publish pictures on any other forum as well... using the 3rd party hosting code.

I use Tinypic.com and occasionally imgur.com when tinypic.com is acting temperamental :shhh:

P.Sutton
09-11-2017, 08:34 AM
I really enjoy this forum and check in just about every day. That being said this forum is also as close to "social media" as I get. I do not have Facebook or photo bucket or am a member to any other forums. In fact I do not own a computer and had a flip phone until three years ago when my job wanted me to have access to email while I was out.

So. Me asking when "we" will be able to post images again, is mostly me wondering when I will see all of you posting photo tutorials or showing off new items everyone has installed etc. I'd bet there would be a whole lot more rally pics too! When someone asks a question people used to run out to their bike, snap a pic and it was worth 1000 words .... as the saying goes.

I am by no means complaining as I, being technologically illiterate, really have no idea what goes into running a forum. I am sure it is not as easy as a finger snap. I also understand phantom has a whole lot going on and keeping this in fine tune is probably not top of mind for him.

Sorry for ranting. I hope I do not come off having a negative tone. Again, I enjoy our forum as my first and only foray into this century. Thank you to everyone who makes this a great place full of great people.

53driver
09-11-2017, 09:09 AM
We are all just a bit beyond "mildly frustrated."

I could say something to the effect of "Well, whadya expect from a 'free' forum?" but that's not how I roll.
As a retired Marine, I analyze the situation, then quickly adapt and overcome any shortcomings.

To quote from "Raiders of the Lost Ark":
"We have top men working on it....TOP men."

All y'all have a great day.
I'm going to to go teach some eager students how to ride a motorcycle.
Cheers,
Steve

Verismo
09-11-2017, 12:42 PM
I'm relatively new to the forum, but just wanted to say thanks for all the hours logged on behalf of keeping it up.

P.Sutton
12-21-2017, 08:39 AM
So many forum members trying, wishing, hoping they can post pictures. Maybe we will get a Christmas present?

Walcrow
12-21-2017, 09:26 AM
You CAN post them very easily. Go to www.imgur.com. Upload your images from your camera (I use the SD card from my Canon G15), then once loaded, go to the images drop down box and copy the BBCode and paste it here. Your images will magically appear.

willtill
12-21-2017, 09:46 AM
http://i67.tinypic.com/bi9w5t.jpg

BIGLRY
12-21-2017, 03:26 PM
http://i67.tinypic.com/bi9w5t.jpg
:lolup: Yeap!

RickW
12-21-2017, 05:42 PM
So many forum members trying, wishing, hoping they can post pictures. Maybe we will get a Christmas present?

We have attempted to get help from VBulletin on this issue. Their assistance just made it worse.
There has been a lot of time and coordination spent on this issue in the last couple of months.

As soon as SimTech is available we are planning on upgrading to a newer version of VBulletin with a new install. We will then test it and then load all of the existing data base into it.
We are expecting everything to be the same with the exception of all the old uploaded pictures in the actual posts. We are going to start over with uploaded pictures.

F6B1911
12-22-2017, 01:16 PM
We have attempted to get help from VBulletin on this issue. Their assistance just made it worse.
There has been a lot of time and coordination spent on this issue in the last couple of months.

As soon as SimTech is available we are planning on upgrading to a newer version of VBulletin with a new install. We will then test it and then load all of the existing data base into it.
We are expecting everything to be the same with the exception of all the old uploaded pictures in the actual posts. We are going to start over with uploaded pictures.

Just a stupid question here....but, Was there a backup plan or a disaster recovery plan??
I work in IT, and data loss is not an option and data recovery must be FAST and COMPLETE.
If there was data loss and I could not recover it, not only would I get fired, but I'd also get sued.

druggr
12-22-2017, 01:21 PM
Maybe the Russians have planted spyware or malware !!!

druggr
12-22-2017, 01:23 PM
Just a stupid question here....but, Was there a backup plan or a disaster recovery plan??
I work in IT, and data loss is not an option and data recovery must be FAST and COMPLETE.
If there was data loss and I could not recover it, not only would I get fired, but I'd also get sued.

Hopefully when the issue gets fixed, the owners will increase their pay by adding another $0 to their already high pay of $0,000,000/yr.

F6Bster
12-22-2017, 02:05 PM
Sure, posting pictures directly to this site would be easy and great. But keep in mind, we members don't pay any fees and other than the picture issues, this board works great. Great place for newbies to gain great information and for everyone to exchange lots of thoughts, rides, etc. I've run a couple of boards before and it takes time from the administrators (donated time).

So, from me:

Many Thanks!
Merry Christmas!!!

RickW
12-22-2017, 02:43 PM

Yes everything was backed up last Feb when the server was moved. The program would not communicate properly after that with the picture files. They could not figure out why.
We did not have anything to do with that, just trying to make everything whole again now.
We are trying to get everything back as soon as possible. It is a lot of messing around. We are working with the tech that is familiar with this site.

edgeman55
12-22-2017, 03:20 PM
Sure, posting pictures directly to this site would be easy and great. But keep in mind, we members don't pay any fees and other than the picture issues, this board works great. Great place for newbies to gain great information and for everyone to exchange lots of thoughts, rides, etc. I've run a couple of boards before and it takes time from the administrators (donated time).

So, from me:

Many Thanks!
Merry Christmas!!!

+1 well said and another thanks to all who help make this site great!

BIGLRY
12-22-2017, 04:52 PM

So, from me:

Many Thanks!
Merry Christmas!!!
I agree
http://www.teakauracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/100prcent.png