PDA

View Full Version : Hand Air Deflectors

gregj
07-12-2017, 11:40 AM
Baker Built (http://wingstuff.com/products/32057-new-generation-adjustable-hand-wings-for-gl1800) or National Cycle (http://wingstuff.com/products/31588-wing-deflectors-mirror-mount-hand-air-deflectors) ?

I like the ratchet hardware on the NC, but the shape of the BB seems to be fit closer to the bike.

I will be getting a set soon, just wanting to see pros/cons of one over the other. :cheers:

ths61
07-12-2017, 11:52 AM
Baker Built (http://wingstuff.com/products/32057-new-generation-adjustable-hand-wings-for-gl1800) or National Cycle (http://wingstuff.com/products/31588-wing-deflectors-mirror-mount-hand-air-deflectors) ?

I like the ratchet hardware on the NC, but the shape of the BB seems to be fit closer to the bike.

I will be getting a set soon, just wanting to see pros/cons of one over the other. :cheers:

National Cycle's ratcheted (multi-position) hand wings are nice, but their matching F6B console wings are a hack job.

National Cycle's F6B console wings are the Goldwing console wings with no modifications to tailor them to the F6B. The padded mounting feet hang off the side of the console because the F6B console is scalloped narrower than the Goldwing. Also, the top smoked deflector plate is shaped for the Golding's "2 channel" radiator grill, not the F6B's "3 channel" radiator grill. It also only comes in chrome, which does not match the F6B's console color. Their handwings match the F6B mirror color.

Milkmaster
07-12-2017, 01:52 PM
I asked the same question last winter about the wing deflectors. I go the Baker brand and have not been disappointed. Install them correctly and they do what they are supposed to do. Good luck!

speedjunkie
07-12-2017, 02:42 PM
I'm satisfied with the Baker. Takes some tweaking to get everything tight enough to hold, but works well in hot and cold.

Mike

choptop
07-14-2017, 01:13 PM
Just ordered a set of the New Generation Baker Hand wings for the trip down to the Smokies.

gregj
07-14-2017, 01:39 PM
I just ordered a set of Baker's. I've had mixed success with NC products in the past for my VTX. The Bakers seemed to get love from a lot of people. Looking forward to the added air flow. :cheers:

choptop
07-14-2017, 02:00 PM
I just ordered a set of Baker's. I've had mixed success with NC products in the past for my VTX. The Bakers seemed to get love from a lot of people. Looking forward to the added air flow. :cheers:
Same here, how ya been ?

gregj
07-21-2017, 01:32 PM
Got the Baker's on. Disappointed in the hardware. Pretty cheezy to provide stick on rubber pads to put on the side faring so the deflector when closed wont mar the fairing. Also, the stop to prevent it from opening too far is very, well, cheezy. It is a spring clip nut with a rubber covered plastic screw, the spring nut will severely scratch the mirror when you put it on. No way of preventing this. By it's design, it requires an interference fit for it to remain secure. The template for the placement of it must not take our mirrors into account. My mirrors have a tapered ramp on the bottom that looks to be for support, but it limits where the spring nut can be placed.

Do they work? Yes, and so far quite well. I suspect they will work nicely in rain and the cold as well. Just wished they had better hardware.

wjduke
07-21-2017, 02:39 PM
Got the Baker's on. Disappointed in the hardware. Pretty cheezy to provide stick on rubber pads to put on the side faring so the deflector when closed wont mar the fairing. Also, the stop to prevent it from opening too far is very, well, cheezy. It is a spring clip nut with a rubber covered plastic screw, the spring nut will severely scratch the mirror when you put it on. No way of preventing this. By it's design, it requires an interference fit for it to remain secure. The template for the placement of it must not take our mirrors into account. My mirrors have a tapered ramp on the bottom that looks to be for support, but it limits where the spring nut can be placed.

Do they work? Yes, and so far quite well. I suspect they will work nicely in rain and the cold as well. Just wished they had better hardware.

Sorry...I totally disagree. Mine fit well, I don't see any issues with the product at all. Nothing has scratched on my equipment yet. What were they supposed to use besides the sticky pads? Mine are on to stay, so as far as the spring clip scratching anything, it's a moot point. I installed them first shot and not one issue yet after 31,000 miles. They don't do much in rain, but you feel air in the summer heat, and they make a difference in the cold.

JGF6B
07-21-2017, 02:57 PM
Mine scratched my mirror housing. I only noticed because I had to move the stops to get the airflow correct..

Delta
07-21-2017, 05:12 PM
I put a little scratch in mine last year when I installed them. No biggie, just use a black sharpie on it to cover it up.

98valk
07-21-2017, 06:55 PM
I never installed the sticky pads. And I am sure the wings never touched the fairing. I did finally put a thin piece of rubber tubing on the inside on each wing to protect the fairing if ever needed. Looks good (no pic). :icon_frown:

The clip stops scratched the mirror mounts much less than I expected, and I did move them a couple of times to find the best location. I like the Baker Wings.

DaWadd
07-22-2017, 09:21 AM
I have the National Cycle mirror wings. Work very good and I like the ratcheting part for adjustment."coffee"

choptop
08-08-2017, 07:36 AM
Installed my Baker Hand Wings for the N Carolina trip, loved them, did as expected, if not better, great investment !!

53driver
08-08-2017, 08:26 AM
Installed my Baker Hand Wings for the N Carolina trip, loved them, did as expected, if not better, great investment !!

Add you a BeadRider seat and that deflected wind goes all around those beads and keeps the 'boys' cool so they can perform later....
The human race is counting on you for continued procreation!!!!!

choptop
08-08-2017, 12:15 PM
Add you a BeadRider seat and that deflected wind goes all around those beads and keeps the 'boys' cool so they can perform later....
The human race is counting on you for continued procreation!!!!!

Their will be know more pre , pro or postcreation:yikes: from this 6 rider and I love my Beadrider !!

grendl
08-08-2017, 10:48 PM
I had the three piece lower set from windwings. I liked the sturdy construction of the panels and the way they mount into the bike. They also are specifically shaped for the F6B fairing radiator openings.Tipped the bike over and suffered no damage at all..

willtill
08-09-2017, 04:40 AM
I opted not to use the spring clip (stop clip) when I installed my Baker hand wings. Never turn them enough inwards anyway to redirect air flow towards me...

ReserveBum
08-09-2017, 06:31 PM
If I remember right, 53Driver had a molding on his Baker Wings that was a pretty cool solution. Its on the list....

terryboyle
08-10-2017, 12:21 PM
Look at these guys
https://www.theperfectride.bike/products/theperfectride-hand-protector

Met the guy, great quality.

choptop
08-10-2017, 03:22 PM
Pretty slick.:icon_biggrin: