PDA

View Full Version : Another close call DEER!!!!!

jkelley
10-18-2013, 08:11 AM
4:30 Am, long straight, cruising about 45 - 50 MPH. By the time I saw the deer bound out of the tree line about 15 feet from the side of the road at full tilt I didn't even have time to soil my shorts, touch the horn, or even try to avoid. ( not necessarily in the correct order) I grabbed a hand full of front brake, and hit the rear but was convinced collision was imminent. For some reason only known to the good lord above she hesitated and I went by close enough I could have petted the damn thing. Very happy I am not dealing with a wrecked bike this morning, but still shaking. These darn things are rapidly becoming a menace, fewer and fewer hunters now and more and more deer. The little critters I can deal with but those at eye level could hurt.

Scotrod
10-18-2013, 08:15 AM
Where are you located? In the Midwest, the deer get almost as big as the cattle! :shock:

Here in S-TX, 'many' are about the size of a Greyhound, but that still doesn't mean I wanna take one on with a bike!!!

1951vbs
10-18-2013, 08:27 AM
4:30 Am, long straight, cruising about 45 - 50 MPH. By the time I saw the deer bound out of the tree line about 15 feet from the side of the road at full tilt I didn't even have time to soil my shorts, touch the horn, or even try to avoid. ( not necessarily in the correct order) I grabbed a hand full of front brake, and hit the rear but was convinced collision was imminent. For some reason only known to the good lord above she hesitated and I went by close enough I could have petted the damn thing. Very happy I am not dealing with a wrecked bike this morning, but still shaking. These darn things are rapidly becoming a menace, fewer and fewer hunters now and more and more deer. The little critters I can deal with but those at eye level could hurt.

Glad you made it. 2 years ago I hit one on the way home from work. November, dusk to dark during the rut. Just like you said no time to do much about it. Spent 3 days in the hospital but it would have been much worse without full gear. It has really changed my riding habits. I am paranoid now when I am cruising along in the woods and don't ride as much at night. It is not a very rare occurrence just google search or youtube seach "motorcycle hits deer". You might be surprised how many get filmed on helmet cam. Ya'll stay on the lookout.

jkelley
10-18-2013, 08:46 AM
Glad you made it. 2 years ago I hit one on the way home from work. November, dusk to dark during the rut. Just like you said no time to do much about it. Spent 3 days in the hospital but it would have been much worse without full gear. It has really changed my riding habits. I am paranoid now when I am cruising along in the woods and don't ride as much at night. It is not a very rare occurrence just google search or youtube seach "motorcycle hits deer". You might be surprised how many get filmed on helmet cam. Ya'll stay on the lookout.

I hear you, I stay toward the middle of the lane as I see them all the time. This one just seemed determined to haul ass out straight at me. Probably being chased by a dog I would guess. Here in NC the deer are not usually that big like the mule deer out west and up north but big enough to hurt. I have to ride in the dark if I am going to ride to work so it's concerning. Almost as bad as in heavy fog and seeing a carcass lying in the road that just got smacked. I think my next move is to add more lighting to the bike.

I had one of my guy's hit one last year coming in on his bike, he called in and told me. I send someone after him. He was badly shaken, busted up the front of his bike but he didn't go down. The deer was dead as a hammer. Called the highway patrol and they sent four cruisers. Assuming a motorcycle deer hit usually does not end well for the rider, he was pretty much ok just covered in deer crap from head to toe. The deer was in the middle of a 4 lane highway with a turn lane ( 5 lanes total) he saw it and had slowed down it was facing away from him and the damn thing jumped in front of him. He said he had never seen one do that and could not believe it when it happened.

I will be more wary, but truthfully I don't know what I could have done different should the same thing happen again. Not at high speed, riding toward the center of the lane. I did have my gear on as I usually do. I will improve my lighting but honestly that was not a factor this morning.

1951vbs
10-18-2013, 09:03 AM
I hear you, I stay toward the middle of the lane as I see them all the time. This one just seemed determined to haul ass out straight at me. Probably being chased by a dog I would guess. Here in NC the deer are not usually that big like the mule deer out west and up north but big enough to hurt. I have to ride in the dark if I am going to ride to work so it's concerning. Almost as bad as in heavy fog and seeing a carcass lying in the road that just got smacked. I think my next move is to add more lighting to the bike.

I had one of my guy's hit one last year coming in on his bike, he called in and told me. I send someone after him. He was badly shaken, busted up the front of his bike but he didn't go down. The deer was dead as a hammer. Called the highway patrol and they sent four cruisers. Assuming a motorcycle deer hit usually does not end well for the rider, he was pretty much ok just covered in deer crap from head to toe. The deer was in the middle of a 4 lane highway with a turn lane ( 5 lanes total) he saw it and had slowed down it was facing away from him and the damn thing jumped in front of him. He said he had never seen one do that and could not believe it when it happened.

I will be more wary, but truthfully I don't know what I could have done different should the same thing happen again. Not at high speed, riding toward the center of the lane. I did have my gear on as I usually do. I will improve my lighting but honestly that was not a factor this morning.

I usually attach deer whistles to my bikes. I don't think they work but in all the years of riding I had never hit a deer until the one 2 years ago while riding my B-King that did not have the whistles. Coincidence?, Bad luck? Fate? I don't know but I have deer whistles (alerts) on the F6B.

Westernbiker
10-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Glad to hear nothing happened except maybe a little brown streak in yer shorts.
I was coming home one night from an outdoor venue out here in the west, riding in the left lane of a two lane divided road way. (also open range) It was about 11 at night when I came over a rise and a down hill left sweeper. There she was, this big ole brown cow, right in the middle of my lane walking to the left. I hit the brakes and swerved to the right lane (doing about 55) and damn, there was another cow just starting to cross the right lane. I swerved back to the left lane and got by both of them with very little room to spare! PHEW! Same as you, I could have pulled a hair off the first ones butt and petted the nose of the second one as I went by both. I come through that strech now a little slower.....well......quite a bit slower now and I am watching for them! :biggthumpup:

jkelley
10-18-2013, 10:26 AM
I usually attach deer whistles to my bikes. I don't think they work but in all the years of riding I had never hit a deer until the one 2 years ago while riding my B-King that did not have the whistles. Coincidence?, Bad luck? Fate? I don't know but I have deer whistles (alerts) on the F6B.

I also have heard they don't work but I think I'll put one on just for grins. Who knows?

JesseS
10-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Just because you can't hear them doesn't mean they don't work, I was cruising up towards Lake Tahoe at dusk and on a long sweeper when one started to come out of the treeline along the road, he stopped dead still and then turned and darted back into the trees. No other cars or traffic except me, so I am sold on them, I have ordered 2 red ones to match the bike and they will go on the front forks somewhere. I would resort to Voodoo if I thought it would help, the darn Deer out here are HUGE.

1951vbs
10-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Just because you can't hear them doesn't mean they don't work, I was cruising up towards Lake Tahoe at dusk and on a long sweeper when one started to come out of the treeline along the road, he stopped dead still and then turned and darted back into the trees. No other cars or traffic except me, so I am sold on them, I have ordered 2 red ones to match the bike and they will go on the front forks somewhere. I would resort to Voodoo if I thought it would help, the darn Deer out here are HUGE.

I'm with you. It certainly can't hurt. I have mine mounted under the fairing but protruding a little like the instructions said. I wouldn't want to install them wrong.

WCody
10-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Glad you didn't hit the darn thing.

I tried to do my part but, our hunting trip was unsuccessful. Didn't see one deer. Lots of tracks and scat, though.

If you do install deer whistles, be sure not to install them backwards. LOL

Deer Slayer
10-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Happy u missed. Deer love to watch modulated headlights. I have bagged two deer with GL1800's and I will not use modulated headlights again.

MichaelG
10-18-2013, 06:31 PM
I'm with you. It certainly can't hurt. I have mine mounted under the fairing but protruding a little like the instructions said. I wouldn't want to install them wrong.

Mike, make cure you CLEAN the intake ports of the deer whistles once in awhile. They tend to get bugs up inside them.
I have hit a deer square on in February 1985, and totaled out a 1985 FLHT-P. Then avoided a deer in March 1989, while I was riding a '89 FLHT-C, and in avoiding it, hit a riased up Chevy 4x4 pickup...head on. The deer in that case was struck and killed by the 3rd pickup behind this Chevy. After that I ran deer whistles for many years.

Mustangjake
10-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Glad u missed the deer !! I am going to get a whistle for my bike I hadn't even thought of it for some reason and we are ate up with bear and deer.

Dark Knight
10-18-2013, 10:34 PM
Glad your ok!

HogSlayer
10-19-2013, 09:49 AM
1977 I was a 18 yr old kid ridin a yami rd350 like I stole it thru my hometown at night and a drunk dude stepd right out in front of me from between 2 parkd trucks, all I had time to do was put my throttle arm in front of my face and head, hit him and saw his face as he was flyin over me:shock: I went down on my leftside, broke my collarbone and road rashd my whole left side, got up with my arm dangling like a limp noodle and hobbled over to the curb and sat down, here comes this drunk dumbass walkin up the street and he only had a big bump on his forehead, he walked up to me and said "hey buddy you ok?" In lots of pain I looked at him and said
"You better get on the other side of the street before I beat you with my good arm!"
The poor little yami was trashed.
Most of you probably know this so excuse me for stating the obvious, but if a critter 4 legged or 2 legged is in front of you and you think collision is unavoidable do not lean the bike to try to avoid it because if u hit it with the bike leaned your goin down, keep the bike straight up and get as much brake as possible.

MSGT-R
10-19-2013, 10:27 AM
No better than being hit by a left turning mini van.. :icon_frown:

gray rider
10-19-2013, 07:51 PM
I had a similar incident in 1975 only the drunk was in a car.. I hit her so hard my bike stuck in the side of her car like a torpedo. I had full leathers on and, of course, a helmet. My hands were lacerated right through my leather gloves but I was more fortunate than you were and had no major injuries. A cop on a bicycle witnessed the debacle and had little sympathy for the drunk who was screaming at me about what I had done to her car. If I could have gotten to my feet I would still be in prison.

jkelley
10-21-2013, 05:16 AM
Any recommendations on a deer whistle or a link to one? All I see locally look like plain old plastic junk.

1951vbs
11-12-2013, 07:43 PM
I don't think the hunters are keeping up with the deer population. Tonight on the way home from work (exactly 2 years, two days, 0 hours from cutting my last deer in half) 3 deer crossed in front of me and only my lightning quick reflexes (sorry for the pun Miles) and/or the wonderful linked brakes on the F6B saved my bacon (or venison) by slowing just enough to miss the second and pass in front of the third! Just a reminder we are in the "Rut" season my friends. This time I did have deer alerts which is maybe why I made it? But in all the miles and years I have ridden (can't mention numbers exactly because it seems to offend some) but take my word for it, it is a bunch, I had never even come close to a "hit" until 2 years ago. I have lived and ridden in just about every deer infested place too. What's up!

HogSlayer
11-12-2013, 08:01 PM
To many does! People need to take more does! I take my fair share here on my farm in central IL, I have let plenty of bucks live, big corn fed bucks! My freezer is stocked all year! Even if ya dont like to eat them you should hunt them and kill as many as ya can and donate the meat.

jkelley
11-13-2013, 06:14 AM

I put two on my bike and one on the wifes, she seldom rides other than in broad daylight. Now if I could just convince her to step up to an F6B....

MichaelG
11-13-2013, 09:23 AM
I put two on my bike and one on the wifes, she seldom rides other than in broad daylight. Now if I could just convince her to step up to an F6B....

jkelley, deer have been known to run around in broad daylight too. That is when I hit my first deer, was about 11:00 am. So be aware that they do not only come out to play at night.

jkelley
11-13-2013, 09:55 AM
jkelley, deer have been known to run around in broad daylight too. That is when I hit my first deer, was about 11:00 am. So be aware that they do not only come out to play at night.

Yup, seen em, and been fairly close in the past, but I DID SEE THEM. At night is when I get the short "oh shit" notice. They are starting to populate like rats here.

gray rider
11-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Deer are like pigeons around here. I live in town and have just over 2 acres with a lagoon abutting the back of my property. Recently, during the afternoon there were at least 15 deer down by the lagoon. When I walk back there the deer scatter in every direction. Needless to say we are all very leery of deer and as Miles stated deer can move at anytime, not just at dusk, dawn or at night.

JimBob1
11-14-2013, 05:50 PM
A few years back, rode out to Rapid City, SD and back to Charlotte, NC and during that trip, deer seemed to be everywhere. In fact 7 deaths out at Sturgis that year, 4 from hitting deer in the area. In any event, thankful that I did not hit any deer during my trip, I decided to rev up my Electra glide coming up my driveway to let the wife know I was back home. My driveway is long, wooded and twisty, halfway up the drive, going way faster than I should, stood a deer in the middle of the drive just looking at me. I hit the brakes, braced for impact, and somehow just missed hitting the damn thing. Can't imagine having a 10 day trip, not hitting any deer when they seem to be everywhere and hit one in my driveway coming home. I am one lucky guy cause I did not have to explain my stupidity of speeding up the driveway and crashing into a deer to the little woman.

espiros
01-12-2016, 02:14 PM

I have two installed on top of the fog lights plastic area, that seemed to be the best area to me.
Last year we went to Sturgis and boy, they was everywhere, two of my friends had an accident one night with one of them, thank Good bikes and them ended been OK, just few scratches on them.
Then, few nights later (Near Deadwood), we encounter about 6-7 of them.......I was in front.
I think the whistles worked because the one closets to the highway, all of the sudden jump back like it was hit by something....I'm assuming it was the whistle....So, as soon as I came back I installed 2 of them on my other bike....Better safe than sorry....To me they do work.....

Now, I have seen ones that have to be connected to the battery....I do not know if those will be a better or not, does any have that kind and care to share?

BEIST
01-12-2016, 04:34 PM
I live out near Valley Forge Pennsylvania by the Brandywine River. Out here I pretty much see deer every time I go riding. Everybody I know has hit a deer in their car - including me. The main thing you need to be aware of is that if you see a deer running towards the road they will usually continue running in that direction without stopping = they never look both ways when crossing the road. Also, if you see one, there are usually more.

My closest call came in a suburban setting around high noon. Huge buck came breaking out between two houses and I slammed on both brakes. I got lucky when he heard the tires screeching because he put on his own brakes. I could actually hear his hooves sliding on the pavement. Fortunately, I was only traveling about 35 mph but he appeared so quickly the brakes did not really do anything. I got so close to him that I could see the whites of his eyes appear as fear overtook him. As I prepared to strike him; I instinctively lifted my left foot to boot him away. By the Grace of God the deer's own panic saved us both. My younger brother was right behind me and couldn't believe the deer tried to stop. It took us both about 15 minutes to start breathing normally.

My advice to all riders is stay alert. Always assume that the deer, and the other cars, can see you and they are hoping to catch you not paying attention.

3Chief
01-12-2016, 04:54 PM
I lived in Minnesota for several years and had two extremely close calls there...you never know when or where they'll come from...

Travelor
01-12-2016, 04:56 PM
Sure would be great if the various deer whistles out there actually worked, but the evidence and studies all say they don't. Still, there is always the chance that nobody told the deer that (even though they can't hear anything in the most common frequencies used by the whistles). Deer whistles (ultra-sonic) operate at 16 - 20 kHz, but deer can't hear much above 12 kHz, just like us. Even the lower frequency ones don't seem to elicit any "flight" response by the deer, and in some cases rutting bucks actually attacked the whistle. Lots of studies on the web, easy to look up. So discretion remains the better part of valor - slow down, pay all your attention to the road, cover the brakes, and avoid riding as the sun is going down or coming up if you can. Maybe not for everyone, but as I get older, by the end of the day I just want to be at the hotel or home with some good bourbon or single malt. Ride safe.

jm21ddd15
01-12-2016, 08:00 PM
Same here Traveler. We have BIG deer in Wisconsin. I have hit them with a car and a truck, so far, been lucky on the bikes! Like you, I seldom ride into the eve. Much nicer when I can see. Plus, headlights attract BUGS! A couple hour ride after sundown here, means scrubbing smashed bugs off, before you can ride again. I can get several hundred miles of riding during the daylight, and I too, enjoy some cold drinks in the evening. :yes:

Navvet
01-12-2016, 08:43 PM

:lolup::lolup::lolup:
I don't believe the Deer Whistles work, but I have them on every vehicle I own.

In the last 20 years, the only animals I have managed to hit have been with vehicles that do not have whistles .......

Navvet
01-12-2016, 08:49 PM
Sure would be great if the various deer whistles out there actually worked, but the evidence and studies all say they don't. Still, there is always the chance that nobody told the deer that (even though they can't hear anything in the most common frequencies used by the whistles). Deer whistles (ultra-sonic) operate at 16 - 20 kHz, but deer can't hear much above 12 kHz, just like us. Even the lower frequency ones don't seem to elicit any "flight" response by the deer, and in some cases rutting bucks actually attacked the whistle. Lots of studies on the web, easy to look up. So discretion remains the better part of valor - slow down, pay all your attention to the road, cover the brakes, and avoid riding as the sun is going down or coming up if you can. Maybe not for everyone, but as I get older, by the end of the day I just want to be at the hotel or home with some good bourbon or single malt. Ride safe.

I am not as smart as the engineers and biologists who say the whistles don't work ........

I did stick a set on the roof of my Trooper one year, just inside the roof rack, behind the sunroof. With the sunroof fully closed, I was able to make it about 4 miles down the highway before I had to pull off and rip the whistles off the roof.

The sound was very loud and annoying .....

willtill
01-13-2016, 07:35 AM
I've opted out on the whistles as well. Whereas they may get the attention of a deer; they in no way will influence what the deer will decide to do. Deer are completely unpredictable