PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Switchback 2 or Klim Induction?

VStarRider
07-21-2017, 01:15 PM
Please help me decide. Looking for a jacket with as much protection as possible but great airflow with hi viz features.

If I ride in the rain, it is by accident.

I have narrowed it down to two. Here are my thoughts:

Olympic seems like the better value:
-more hi viz material
-Cordura 500 mesh material
-CE approved elbow, shoulder and back (though I cannot find what level of CE approval it offers)
-Has a rain liner option
$199 on RevZilla with RevZilla cash I have; can get another $10 RevZilla cash with purchase

However, the Klim:
-has D3O protection at elbows and shoulders - I really like this feature
-Not Cordura, but high strength mesh
-no rain liner
-Klim has great reputation for durability, but also their name recognition is built into the price below
-very popular mid-priced jacket
$349 on RevZilla and everywhere else with no discounts

wjduke
07-21-2017, 02:31 PM
Please help me decide. Looking for a jacket with as much protection as possible but great airflow with hi viz features.

-more hi viz material
-CE approved elbow, shoulder and back (though I cannot find what level of CE approval it offers)
-Has a rain liner option
$199 on RevZilla with RevZilla cash I have; can get another $10 RevZilla cash with purchase

However, the Klim:
-no rain liner
-Klim has great reputation for durability, but also their name recognition is built into the price below
You sure Klim doesn't have the rain liner? I bought one from a member here and got a liner with it. One other thing...I'm not convinced hi-viz is all that. I'm still not seen. My horn got a workout this week on my PA ride. Good thing I pay attention, because cagers don't. I had two close calls....within feet of me.

VStarRider
07-21-2017, 03:21 PM
You sure Klim doesn't have the rain liner? I bought one from a member here and got a liner with it. One other thing...I'm not convinced hi-viz is all that. I'm still not seen. My horn got a workout this week on my PA ride. Good thing I pay attention, because cagers don't. I had two close calls....within feet of me.

Yes. This is the first year without one. They dropped the liner to drop the price; discovered this is as part of my research.

Sorry about your close calls...high viz is no guarantee, but I'll take any advantage when out there.

ReserveBum
07-21-2017, 07:21 PM
I've had my Olympia for 5 + years. Its a great jacket with rain liner and cold weather liner. Has held up excellent, all fasteners/zips/pockets are all intact. Comfortable and has the armor in the shoulder/elbow/back which I have had the good fortune of not having tested. For the price, thats my pick.

olegoat345
07-21-2017, 10:55 PM
I'm in central FL. I'll wear a mesh jacket, in the winter w/ a liner & I always carry a good rain suit.

VStarRider
07-22-2017, 07:56 AM
Sorry about the mistake! Thanks for the input so far!

Bigcityd
07-22-2017, 08:11 AM
I've had my Olympia for three years now with both the cold and rain liners. Great Jacket. Lots of airflow. My riding buddy has the KLIM jacket and matching pants. He stays dryer if caught in the rain as I usually don't wear the rain liner. I have to stop to put it on. The one you're talking about should be made of Gore-Tex and therefore shouldn't need the liner. I'm happy with my Olympia and the extra $200 bucks you'd save could go elsewhere on your bike.....

VStarRider
07-22-2017, 09:15 PM
Ended up going with the Olympia jacket. I was thinking the same thing as you guys...fairly equivalent jacket for nearly half as much; take what's left and spend it on other things.

I tried on a Switchback at the dealer I bought my bike from. They had the retail of $239, but gave it to me for $215. RevZilla was about $20 cheaper, but I like support a local business when I can, plus I could take it home today vs. waiting for it for a week.

So far, so good with the jacket. Much more airflow than my current armor jacket/hi viz vest combo, especially in the arms.

Thanks for the advice!

unsub
07-31-2017, 04:36 AM
I've had my Olympia for 5 + years. Its a great jacket with rain liner and cold weather liner. Has held up excellent, all fasteners/zips/pockets are all intact. Comfortable and has the armor in the shoulder/elbow/back which I have had the good fortune of not having tested. For the price, thats my pick.

:yes:

unsub
07-31-2017, 04:36 AM
Ended up going with the Olympia jacket. I was thinking the same thing as you guys...fairly equivalent jacket for nearly half as much; take what's left and spend it on other things.

I tried on a Switchback at the dealer I bought my bike from. They had the retail of $239, but gave it to me for $215. RevZilla was about $20 cheaper, but I like support a local business when I can, plus I could take it home today vs. waiting for it for a week.

So far, so good with the jacket. Much more airflow than my current armor jacket/hi viz vest combo, especially in the arms.

Thanks for the advice!

:yes:

If you're married take the wifey out.

imscots
07-31-2017, 02:46 PM

-more hi viz material
-Has a rain liner option

However, the Klim:
-no rain liner

I just bought a mesh jacket on Amazon a few weeks ago, and it comes with a removable inner liner. It is now my favorite jacket for the heat here in Southern California. Check it out. Joe Rocket Goldwing Skyline 2.0 Mens Silver/Grey Mesh Jacket. Good luck