PDA

View Full Version : Tail Light Lens Cover

No Handle Sam
07-25-2017, 08:32 PM
Does anyone have any details or tips on how to remove the actual rear lens cover itself from the housing without breaking it? It appears to just be 4 tabs along the top and bottom, but they don't seem to flex much when you give them a little pry with a small flathead screw driver. Thoughts?

Walcrow
07-25-2017, 09:36 PM
I may be mistaken about this, but I think you have to remove the lens covers by going inside each saddlebag and removing the nuts. I've not done it or even looked, but did watch a few YouTube vids and did stay at a Holiday Inn maybe 30 years ago. I wouldn't start prying on some tabs or you might be visiting your Honda dealer pronto.

Addendum........Just watched that video again. Open up the bags and look up top in the back. You'll see the acorn nuts (4 I think, 2 on each side) and remove them, then the lens cover will come off the back, but you have to remove the plastic piece above the lens cover first. Don't even think about that pry bar from the outside on those tabs you were referring to. You gently lift it out with your fingers, then the lens cover can be removed.

Here's a good video for you..............https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhumqeAgYSY

Jimmytee
07-26-2017, 03:25 AM
I may be mistaken about this, but I think you have to remove the lens covers by going inside each saddlebag and removing the nuts. I've not done it or even looked, but did watch a few YouTube vids and did stay at a Holiday Inn maybe 30 years ago. I wouldn't start prying on some tabs or you might be visiting your Honda dealer pronto.

Addendum........Just watched that video again. Open up the bags and look up top in the back. You'll see the acorn nuts (4 I think, 2 on each side) and remove them, then the lens cover will come off the back, but you have to remove the plastic piece above the lens cover first. Don't even think about that pry bar from the outside on those tabs you were referring to. You gently lift it out with your fingers, then the lens cover can be removed.

Here's a good video for you..............https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhumqeAgYSY

I believe he is asking how to remove the lens cover from the rear tail light assembly. In contrast to just removing the "assembly" from the rear of the bike.

My guess is there is some time of glue involved. Have not tried to remove my lens, but read about someone else doing the same thing on Facebook. I seem to recall a heat gun was involved in one of the comments. You might look up or ask this question on Facebook on the Kustom Gold Wing and F6B page.

No Handle Sam
07-26-2017, 07:21 AM
I believe he is asking how to remove the lens cover from the rear tail light assembly. In contrast to just removing the "assembly" from the rear of the bike.

My guess is there is some time of glue involved. Have not tried to remove my lens, but read about someone else doing the same thing on Facebook. I seem to recall a heat gun was involved in one of the comments. You might look up or ask this question on Facebook on the Kustom Gold Wing and F6B page.

That is exactly right Jimmy. I'm talking about removing the lens itself from the housing, not the entire assembly. I don't to Facebook, but thanks for the suggestion.

06Blackpearl
07-27-2017, 04:38 AM
Heat gun and warm the outer edges all the way around it and pull up gently.. just gotta warm the sealant to its goo form again..
get some rtv sealer and seal it back up, place a heavy object on it for a few hrs to ensure a good seal..

No Handle Sam
07-27-2017, 07:12 AM
Thank You Sir

No Handle Sam
07-27-2017, 07:15 AM
Do you know if there is a different technique for a light from a full wing as opposed to a F6B? I know the tail light assembly itself is slightly different between the two.

Apache1
07-27-2017, 07:51 PM
I saw where people heat oven to 200degrees, put light assembly in for 20minutes and then remove lense.

No Handle Sam
07-28-2017, 07:08 AM
I saw where people heat oven to 200degrees, put light assembly in for 20minutes and then remove lense.

:shock:

06Blackpearl
07-28-2017, 11:07 AM
Do you know if there is a different technique for a light from a full wing as opposed to a F6B? I know the tail light assembly itself is slightly different between the two.

Wouldn't think so..

But I'm not sure what's different either??