PDA

View Full Version : Tire brands

2wheelsforme
08-04-2017, 04:39 PM
I have run E-3s (bias) on another brand bike with good results for years. I'm now running Avon Cobras on my F6B and I like them for the short time I've had them. E-4s were to be my choice if I had not found a really good price on the Avons. Several people here run the Dunlops and like them. What I don't understand is that over on a GL board they hate Dunlop both 3 and 4s. Say they are terrible in wet weather. That feeling vrs what I read here is confusing. What is up with the differing opinions? I understand that the Bridgestones are good and may now be my second best choice due to all the bad talk about the Dunnies. I don't consider Michelin (bias) due to a local friend hating them on wet pavement. Metzeler is not an option due to all the reports of cracking. Ran Pirelli and they have a very short tread life, Shinko is garbage the one time I tried one. What will be my next tire? Please understand that a CT is not an option so please don't turn this into a darkside thread. I am interested in your opinions on motorcycle tire brands.

bob109
08-04-2017, 05:00 PM
I have run E-3s (bias) on another brand bike with good results for years. I'm now running Avon Cobras on my F6B and I like them for the short time I've had them. E-4s were to be my choice if I had not found a really good price on the Avons. Several people here run the Dunlops and like them. What I don't understand is that over on a GL board they hate Dunlop both 3 and 4s. Say they are terrible in wet weather. That feeling vrs what I read here is confusing. What is up with the differing opinions? I understand that the Bridgestones are good and may now be my second best choice due to all the bad talk about the Dunnies. I don't consider Michelin (bias) due to a local friend hating them on wet pavement. Metzeler is not an option due to all the reports of cracking. Ran Pirelli and they have a very short tread life, Shinko is garbage the one time I tried one. What will be my next tire? Please understand that a CT is not an option so please don't turn this into a darkside thread. I am interested in your opinions on motorcycle tire brands.

A standard Gold Wing has a "Curb Weight" between 904 lb. and 933 lb. depending on its "option package"! The F6B tips the scales, in stock form, at 844 lb. That's a 60/89 lb. difference which may contribute to the decreased tire wear on the E-3/E-4 tires. Throw in a rider and passenger, as most full Wings carry, and you have substantial additional weight thrown into the mix. That, IMHO, would definitely impact overall tire mile, regardless the brand/manufacture!

Trying to find a cycle tire for a "heavy cruiser" which delivers good overall mileage is like trying to find the "Holy Grail". Many improvements and claims of "duel compound" threads are advertised/touted, but fail to deliver great/respectable mileage/wear and can be tricky in wet conditions:shhh:

2wheelsforme
08-04-2017, 06:05 PM
I agree with what you say Bob. Do you think Dunlops attempt to make a high mileage tire by using a harder center compound results in a tire that delivers less wet road traction to go along with the higher tread life?

bob109
08-04-2017, 07:41 PM
I agree with what you say Bob. Do you think Dunlops attempt to make a high mileage tire by using a harder center compound results in a tire that delivers less wet road traction to go along with the higher tread life?

Not a tire engineer by any means, I'll take a stab at your question and guess that "tire siping" and "compound softness/composition play a major role in "wet traction". If you "Google" pictures of motorcycle racing tires you'll find some great pics of "wet" and "dry" tire thread characteristics. I'm sure you'll find it enlightening. The "new thing" in cycle tire manufacturing is, of course, "duel compound". I can personally attest to the Bridgestone Battle Ax BT-45 having a extremely hard center compound with softer compound both sides off center. I have some pics of the worn Ax but unfortunately can't post them! I'm a "Double Dark Sider" and use the Ax on the front of my 6. The tire is a rear tire:icon_wink: hence its hard center! 20K plus miles and the tire exhibits cupping in the soft off center rubber yet the center has plenty of "good rubber":icon_biggrin: So goes my "unscientific experimentation".

I would think the bottom line is for each of us to try a brand specific tire and closely observe its performance and longevity! As we each have our own distinct riding styles and encounter different road surfaces, depending where we live and ride, there are many variables which will effect wear and performance. That said, two different riders with the same bike and tires could have remarkably different results!

Ride Safe

bob109

Brasco
08-04-2017, 09:58 PM
Posted on a similar thread a couple weeks ago but this issue. I had to put a Michelin Commander II on the rear due to need to make an emergency replacement while on a road trip. I got some great input on that thread and did a lot of research -- including reading those poor wet traction reviews for the Dunny Elite 4 on the GL1800 forum. Despite generally positive reviews for the E4s on this forum (which I agree is kinda confusing given some pretty negative comments from full Wing riders) I decided to go back to the Stone OEMs both front and back. For me the decider was much better price point for the Stones and the fact they do their job just fine on the F6B.

Sure, I'm not going to get the same tread life out of them but for the price savings that's not a huge deal when you consider price of E4s or other dual compound makes. By the time this new set of Stones of mine is worn out I figure enough time will have passed that there should be a clear opinion on whether the E4s can get the job done long term (he says hopefully!). Not saying tire choice should be a decision based exclusively on price, but they sure ain't giving dual compound makes away so you want to make sure it's going to be worth it from a $$ standpoint when compared to OEMs.

3Chief
08-04-2017, 10:05 PM

I thought the issues with the Metzler were with the 880's and not the newer 888's. May be worth investigating as I've run Metzler's on my VTX for years with no cracking.

2wheelsforme
08-05-2017, 06:46 AM
The cracking and chunking issue might be related to only the 880. Good for them if they fixed that problem with the 888.

wjduke
08-05-2017, 11:36 AM
I think it's a matter of keep trying until you find the one for you. I just have to try the E4's next. I've only run OEM's so far, but I know two folks who are completely satisfied with mileage and handling. One of who rides like an animal and got 22k out of "hers". Plus they were worn edge to edge. 53 is getting great mileage. I had the chance to ride with him once recently. He wasn't on his bike, but he doesn't baby it. I don't have surplus cash, but sometimes money shouldn't matter. Forum people like to embellish stories sometimes. I'm going with first hand experience.

That "other forum" is for full wing owners. Yes, they have an F6B section, but don't waste too much time there....my opinion.

olegoat345
08-10-2017, 03:57 PM
I've always had great service from AVON, handling, mileage, ride always been great on every bike I've put them on. AVON makes a tire just for the GW. Call AVON USA tech rep. 800# to get P/N. From Dennis Kirk, delivered for just under $300. 1oz beads in the F; 2oz beads in the R, @ 100+ mph smooth a silk. Nothing else to say.

BobR
08-10-2017, 06:17 PM
I now have 2000 miles on my 2nd set of E4's. I had 6800 miles on them when I got a large bolt in my rear one. I replaced them with like kind. I do notice that these tires are very noisy off of center. They also seem to have a vibration whenever I get off center to turn one way or the other. I liked my original Bridgestones and got 13,500 miles out of the original set but was having a problem with the 40mph wobble and accelerated tire wear with the 2nd set of Bridgestones so my dealer said he wanted to replace them with a set of E4's under my tire warranty so I said go for it. I also had the neck bearings changed out for the AllBalz tapered bearings. The 40mph wobble is gone but I am really annoyed by the noise and vibration of the E4's and will probably go back to the stock Bridgestones when I wear through these E4's. BTW, those new tapered bearings completely changed the handling of the F6B. Steering is much tighter and precise.

2wheelsforme
08-10-2017, 07:03 PM
Yes Avon has a Cobra tire made just for the wing. I'm sure the price has went up science I bought mine. Avon Cobras in all my searches have mostly positive things said about them like they sick well and are quite. The only thing I read negative is that they do not last as long as some others. So I think I'll stay with a tire that has great traction in wet and dry, runs quite, does not crack or chunk up, does not react to tar snakes, does not wander on cement or metal grating and balances out smooth as silk with little weight. Add that cost is low compared to some brands and I don't mind changing at 10 K or so. Numbers needed to get the Wing rubber:

Quantity Product Unit Price Price
1 Rear Cobra AV72 180/60HR-16 Blackwall Tire - 90000001418
Part #: 544272 $139.88 $139.88
1 Front Cobra AV71 130/70HR-18 Blackwall Tire - 90000001167
Part #: 543337 $118.88 $118.88
Thank you for your order!

If you have any questions or comments, please either email or call Customer Service: orders@denniskirk.com or 1-800-969-7501
Merchandise Total: $258.76
Shipping Charge: $0.00
Tire Fee: $10.00
Sub Total: $268.76
Tax: $0.00
Order Total: $268.76

2wheelsforme
08-28-2017, 08:14 PM
abc

Bunny
08-30-2017, 11:06 PM
i just got the E4 on my bike today. Had the e3 and got 35000 kliks on them. Could have gone a few more thousand kliks on the E3's. The E3's cupped?? - do alot of tires do that?? i was told that our roads here are so bad that it contributes to the cupping.

bunny

thumper 549
10-01-2017, 11:04 AM
I will publicly say this because I have had 3 rear metzlers come apart.
I personally think they are an inferior tire for a Hvy application.
I am not behind the back, backstabber either, as I have stated my pain 10 times to the
Honda vendor that sold them to me .
Ignore is a word they have used on me a lot.

These were on a Roadking.
I have switched to Avon Cobras, and when the F6B I just bought gets tires it will get cobras also.
Do as you wish.

willtill
10-06-2017, 09:59 AM
Deleted

2wheelsforme
10-06-2017, 10:18 AM
The last two lines of the original post: "Please understand that a CT is not an option so please don't turn this into a darkside thread. I am interested in your opinions on motorcycle tire brands."

willtill
10-06-2017, 10:56 AM
The last two lines of the original post: "Please understand that a CT is not an option so please don't turn this into a darkside thread. I am interested in your opinions on motorcycle tire brands."

Oh sorry. :icon_doh: deleted my post... :shhh:

53driver
10-06-2017, 11:16 AM
My riding is two-fold: take the super slabs to get to near where I want to be, then ride the twisties like I own them.
The Dunlop E4 dual-compound has the best compromise for what I do.

I like the 'Stones better in the rain/wet.

I've not tried Metzler or Avons on Isleen.
Cheers,
Steve

ff73148
02-07-2018, 09:31 PM
So what's Wong with putting Exedra's back on my F6B?

jm21ddd15
02-07-2018, 09:51 PM
So what's Wong with putting Exedra's back on my F6B?

Nothing wrong with that . Choice is what it's about. If you like a certain brand, go for it. I ride the excedras, too.
They don't last as long as the car tires, I will agree to that, but they run okay, and seem to grip the road decently.