PDA

View Full Version : Mountains and F6B

cody13
08-12-2017, 05:04 AM
Wanted to ask others how does the bike handle the hard curves, as far as scraping bottom or anything.

willtill
08-12-2017, 06:14 AM
Scrapes more readily than other bikes I have had. It's probably the only thing that I don't like about it.

I could lean over my Rocket 3, Victory, Vision, DR650, etc at much more extreme angles while negotiating a sharp curve... without dragging parts. Not so much with my F6B.

I did this to keep the wear down on my pegs :icon_mrgreen: Read this thread:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?8969-Really-tired-of-scraping-my-pegs&highlight=Kinetic+pegs

wjduke
08-12-2017, 06:48 AM
I thought I leaned pretty good and still haven't scraped a peg yet. I touched a boot once :)

2wheelsforme
08-12-2017, 07:01 AM
Wanted to ask others how does the bike handle the hard curves, as far as scraping bottom or anything.

It does well I think, the bike loves the curves but the pegs do scrap a little early. They fold up so you can go over a little more after first contact. Do not put on the lowering offset boards, and do install the peg disk/pucks to protect the underside and avoid the loss of pegs. Too late for install if already ground down.

Old Ryder
08-17-2017, 07:30 AM
ERGO II scrape quickly for me and I don't think of myself as aggressive---see picture below. Fold them up and I had a hard time. BTW---the F6B will fool a lot of folks with it's ability to handle the tight turns and braking.

Jimmytee
08-17-2017, 08:09 AM
The bike handles awesome in the twisties. Definitely recommend a belly pan and I like the titanium pucks on my pegs. I recently upgraded my suspension. Installed Progressive Monotubes Cartridges in my forks and the Arnott air ride in the rear. When I am going to get my groove on ,so to speak, I simply add more pressure to the rear with the touch of a button. I definitely have gained more cornering clearance . Good riding techniques also get more speed in the corners before scraping. http://i.imgur.com/go0pCsk.jpg]

grendl
08-17-2017, 10:10 AM
I for one could use some lessons from you Jimmitree. I live next to the mountains in Colorado and ride them often - never that aggressively - Kudos my man!

DTOM
08-17-2017, 10:33 AM

Handles fantastic...much better than I expected for a tourer. I routinely scrape the foot pegs and I don't consider myself overly aggressive. I was going to install the Kuryakyn drop mounts to gain a little more comfort in my knee angle, but not so sure I want to anymore. I loosened up the suspension (just to experiment)...tightened it back up after one 30 min ride (I'd have to pop the side panel again to remember which setting). No wobble in a high speed corner...love it.

GaTeach
08-17-2017, 12:00 PM
The bike handles awesome in the twisties. Definitely recommend a belly pan and I like the titanium pucks on my pegs. I recently upgraded my suspension. Installed Progressive Monotubes Cartridges in my forks and the Arnott air ride in the rear. When I am going to get my groove on ,so to speak, I simply add more pressure to the rear with the touch of a button. I definitely have gained more cornering clearance . Good riding techniques also get more speed in the corners before scraping. http://i.imgur.com/go0pCsk.jpg]

I was hoping you'd chime in.

Another suggestions is to crank the suspension all the way up when you're headed to the mountains.

GaTeach
08-17-2017, 12:03 PM
Handles fantastic...much better than I expected for a tourer. I routinely scrape the foot pegs and I don't consider myself overly aggressive. I was going to install the Kuryakyn drop mounts to gain a little more comfort in my knee angle, but not so sure I want to anymore. I loosened up the suspension (just to experiment)...tightened it back up after one 30 min ride (I'd have to pop the side panel again to remember which setting). No wobble in a high speed corner...love it.

Yes! This! If you take it all the way up, you'll gain some clearance. Just remember to take it back down when you leave the mountains!

Right side :)

Jimmytee
08-17-2017, 12:51 PM
Yes! This! If you take it all the way up, you'll gain some clearance. Just remember to take it back down when you leave the mountains!

Right side :)
My Corbin seat prevents me from removing the side covers without first removing the seat. Ughh. Problem solved :icon_wink:

3Chief
08-17-2017, 02:18 PM
I ride fairly aggressively and generally didn't scrape with the stock suspension. I had my preload set at the mid way point. With the Traxxion suspension the only time I've scraped was with my new Ergo-3 highway pegs...I hit a corner a little fast with my feet on the pegs :icon_doh: you should be good.

JerryC
11-24-2017, 09:38 AM
I for one could use some lessons from you Jimmitree. I live next to the mountains in Colorado and ride them often - never that aggressively - Kudos my man!

I just joined the forum and have had my F6B for one week. Two friends and I
are planning a grand trip next summer (4000 miles), starting in Denver. I may contact you to get suggestions about riding in the mountains out there (riding the passes; clothing suggestions given the altitude and temp changes, etc). Love the "B".

I assume your bike is garaged for the winter; here in Florida we are just getting started. LOL

JerryC

ShanghaiDan
11-25-2017, 07:01 PM
I did this to keep the wear down on my pegs :icon_mrgreen: Read this thread:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?8969-Really-tired-of-scraping-my-pegs&highlight=Kinetic+pegs
Wait, those are foot pegs and not lean angle indicators?

:)

thumper 549
11-26-2017, 06:52 AM
If you swap between a Harley and the F6B you will find that the Honda
seems more adept at the turns.
It will make most anyone a wannabee cafe racer~!
The HD -is a constant heavy counter steer.
Under hard turns, one has to pick the line .
The Honda just leans over and goes.
No complaints.
However the F6 has rear steer wiggle and my Road King has none (cause I have worked it over)
But I am truly surprised that the F6 will respond to tar snakes, grooves in road and the like.
Something I am not used to.

Jimmytee
11-26-2017, 07:06 AM
If you swap between a Harley and the F6B you will find that the Honda
seems more adept at the turns.
It will make most anyone a wannabee cafe racer~!
The HD -is a constant heavy counter steer.
Under hard turns, one has to pick the line .
The Honda just leans over and goes.
No complaints.
However the F6 has rear steer wiggle and my Road King has none (cause I have worked it over)
But I am truly surprised that the F6 will respond to tar snakes, grooves in road and the like.
Something I am not used to.

This past summer a good friend of mine and I were on the third day of a little road trip trough back roads and twistier sections of roads I could find. He rides a 16 Ultra. We had just spent the night in Georgia and was taking War Woman Road to 28 and heading north. Anyone who knows, this is a pretty entertaining road. We are linked up through Sena headsets and he was commenting how tiring and cumbersome his bike was in this section of our trip. The F6B with it's low center of gravity just eats this stuff up.

thumper 549
11-26-2017, 07:22 AM
As for me and my VERY old EVO Road King which is 180 deg from the F6.
Now for "Something completely different" said Monty Pythion-
One is in touch and keeps your hair on fire if the envelope gets thin.
I think the danger for me, the F6 and I may be in deeper then i should be and not even know it!
I look at the speedo and say OH CRAP!
But- it just wheels through it much like watching a video.
No complaints.
The bike is much like riding with a huge shot of Novocain in me.
I do not feel anything.
But i do like it.

Jimmytee
11-26-2017, 07:48 AM
As for me and my VERY old EVO Road King which is 180 deg from the F6.
Now for "Something completely different" said Monty Pythion-
One is in touch and keeps your hair on fire if the envelope gets thin.
I think the danger for me, the F6 and I may be in deeper then i should be and not even know it!
I look at the speedo and say OH CRAP!
But- it just wheels through it much like watching a video.
No complaints.
The bike is much like riding with a huge shot of Novocain in me.
I do not feel anything.
But i do like it.

When I am with a group of like minded individuals , all I can say is nothing , nothing is more exciting than 2-4 bikes carving up some twisty roads in sync. I guarantee I am feeling a lot. :icon_wink:

broncsrule21
11-26-2017, 02:58 PM
I just joined the forum and have had my F6B for one week. Two friends and I
are planning a grand trip next summer (4000 miles), starting in Denver. I may contact you to get suggestions about riding in the mountains out there (riding the passes; clothing suggestions given the altitude and temp changes, etc). Love the "B".

I assume your bike is garaged for the winter; here in Florida we are just getting started. LOL

JerryC

Here in Colorado, you do not have to park your bike for the winter. Its been over 70 degrees a few days last week. There are times where you might not be able to ride for a month, but usually you can get lucky with some sunny days.

BobR
11-26-2017, 04:27 PM
These bikes ride great in the twisties. I spend 7 months a year living in the Smoky Mtns. a mile from the Blue Ridge Parkway. My F6B handles great. I do have a Super Brace on the front forks and also have changed the front neck bearings to tapered ones due to my being gravitationally challenged to the point of about 270 lbs. If someone tells you they do not handle check out this video of a Wing on the Dragon.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxHNnOHuikI

thumper 549
11-26-2017, 04:50 PM
i never said they did not corner well...
Perhaps the opposite, too well.
They do it without complaint.
a Harley will start DRAGGING EVERYTHING.

motozeke
11-28-2017, 09:59 PM
This bike doesn't really like curves with posted limits under 30 mph. Of course you can take them, but the tighter the turn the more the wheelbase and weight take their toll.

This bike is the *bomb* on longer, faster sweepers. For those of you who know Northern California and the Trinity Alps, it's a CA-299 bike more than a CA-36 bike. Totally.

Jimmytee
11-28-2017, 10:06 PM
This bike doesn't really like curves with posted limits under 30 mph. Of course you can take them, but the tighter the turn the more the wheelbase and weight take their toll.

This bike is the *bomb* on longer, faster sweepers. For those of you who know Northern California and the Trinity Alps, it's a CA-299 bike more than a CA-36 bike. Totally.

I love switchbacks on the F6B. I differ in my opinion. I think it handles them wonderfully.

Pumper
11-30-2017, 01:12 PM
I love switchbacks on the F6B. I differ in my opinion. I think it handles them wonderfully.

Amen agree 1000%..great handling bike after mods, stock not so good