PDA

View Full Version : Camelbaks.......

stepbill
08-15-2017, 07:14 PM
Curious if anyone uses one when they ride? I normally use my butler cup/large but it does not carry enough fluid for when I'm riding in the summer months and thought about going with a camel pack. I have the RDL seat with a backrest and was not sure if it would interfere with it or not. Thoughts and suggestions........

Az Wingrider
08-15-2017, 07:33 PM
Camelbacks come in a variety of sizes so you can probably find one that will work with your seat. Personally I don't like the weight of the Camelback on my back so I made a hydration system that mounts on the bike. I use a one gallon insulated plastic Coleman water jug. I made a bracket that mounts to my right side passenger foot peg and the crash bar just behind it. I then use 5/16" food grade tubing that is run into jug. On the end of the food grade tubing I attach a bite valve from a camelback. The bite valve is made to fit the 5/16" tubing.

I fill the jug with ice and water and put it in the bracket on the bike and I have water for most of the day.

If you will look on the Ironbutt website (www.ironbutt.org) they have a good article about hydration systems. That is where I got the idea for mine.

Good luck

F6Pilot
08-15-2017, 07:38 PM
I use a Camelbak when riding the dirt bike but have never taken it on the street. As stated, there are a variety of sizes available. I believe the one I use is the Lobo which is a smaller style. I don't even notice it while riding.

Steve 0080
08-15-2017, 09:58 PM
I use one on my bicycle...I freeze some water in the bag and then fill with water before leaving...blow water back into the unit when done drinking so the water stays cold...ready for next sip!

STRaider
08-15-2017, 09:58 PM
Curious if anyone uses one when they ride? I normally use my butler cup/large but it does not carry enough fluid for when I'm riding in the summer months and thought about going with a camel pack. I have the RDL seat with a backrest and was not sure if it would interfere with it or not. Thoughts and suggestions........

I use one on most of my trips, even if just an overnight trip. Bought one at Walmart, not sure of the brand, but it can be a real difference maker when it's hot out and you are wearing gear. The weight doesn't bother me at all. It's one more thing to deal with at stops, but well worth it while riding. I've only put water in mine, but a friend puts gatorade in his. I have a driver backrest, and once I settle back, I can just raise my shoulders, then lean back, and position the pack on the other side of the back rest, and it does not interfere.

Brasco
08-15-2017, 11:39 PM
Have one and used it on a summer trip last year riding through parts of Utah and Nevada -- despite adding ice cubes was still 'enjoying' warm gatorade more often than I care to remember! Definitely glad I had it though on the long stretches where zero or limited services exist. I bought the camelback after getting heat stroke in Arches National Park in Utah on a trip a couple years earlier. What could go wrong after being on the road for hours and then trying to hike the Arches trail in mid-90s F heat wearing kevlar jeans and heavy riding boots etc. :icon_doh: Canadians and heat are a dangerous combo. Anyway, I always have it with me on road trips down south but didn't need it this summer in eastern Oregon and Washington. It's a bit awkward having it on your back but that's a minor annoyance given the alternative (i.e. laying on the ground sick as a dog hoping the vultures don't get you).

ths61
08-15-2017, 11:47 PM
I use one on long trips. It is a lifesaver in hot weather and a full face helmet.

P.Sutton
08-16-2017, 08:18 AM
I have thought about wearing mine a few times but never ended up doing it for one reason or another. I always wear it while dirt biking.

I bought mine on Amazon. I think it was about $20 and has held up to some incredible abuse. Always drain and dry the bladder after use, then modified a hanger to hold the bladder open and hang for storage.

53driver
08-16-2017, 08:55 AM
I should use mine - but it's been sitting so long I'm scared of what might have grown inside it!

jmdaniel
08-16-2017, 09:09 AM
I use one from time to time, when on self powered two wheels, as well as gas powered. I remember a run from Big Bend back to the house a few years back, 8 hours in the saddle in Texas heat, and I rolled up to the house fresh as a daisy! Well, my head was anyway. At gas stops, I would half fill the CB with ice from the soda fountain, then the rest with Gatorade. The ice, as it melted, is a good coolant on my back.

imscots
08-16-2017, 01:59 PM
When I ride, I use an insulated bag that si the same shape as the trunk on the B. I bought it on Wingstuff pretty cheap. I freeze a few blue ice packs the night before I go for a run and also a few filled water bottles. I put them all in the insulated bag and into the trunk it goes. I also have a full cup on the handlebar bracket. when my cup is empty, I simply stop and fill up cup with fresh ice water which is available all day long. Why carry on your back a weight all day when the B does it nicely in the trunk? Ride safe guys

http://wingstuff.com/products/33637-king-kooler-saddlebag-liner

53driver
08-16-2017, 02:09 PM
When I ride, I use an insulated bag that si the same shape as the trunk on the B. I bought it on Wingstuff pretty cheap. I freeze a few blue ice packs the night before I go for a run and also a few filled water bottles. I put them all in the insulated bag and into the trunk it goes. I also have a full cup on the handlebar bracket. when my cup is empty, I simply stop and fill up cup with fresh ice water which is available all day long. Why carry on your back a weight all day when the B does it nicely in the trunk? Ride safe guys

I got one of those - great piece of gear.....but doesn't ever seem to have just water in it though.
Usually a water/malt/barley concoction that consumption indicates the riding is over.

Cheers,
Steve

wjduke
08-16-2017, 02:38 PM
I can't help it.....do you guys ride in the desert? I carry little bottles in a small cooler that fits in the saddlebag, stop once in a while and take a swig. When it's gone, I stop at the next store! I guess I don't know real heat like some of you do.

jmdaniel
08-16-2017, 02:43 PM
I can't help it.....do you guys ride in the desert? I carry little bottles in a small cooler that fits in the saddlebag, stop once in a while and take a swig. When it's gone, I stop at the next store! I guess I don't know real heat like some of you do.

Stopping isn't needed with Camelbacks.

willtill
08-16-2017, 03:13 PM

:icon_lol: Not unless your bladder is like a Camelback

I'd use a camelback but don't want to have to wear another piece of gear.

I've been wanting to attach a holder to the lower right part of my fairing; below below the voltage meter; so I can carry a 20oz Yeti clone insulated tumbler. I can't bring myself to drill any more holes into my bike though :icon_doh:

Bighutch14
08-16-2017, 03:21 PM

Does this bag leak or sweat inside your saddlebags? Keep ice for long time?

53driver
08-16-2017, 03:25 PM

It's a fully lined/insulated bag.
I've not any issues with sweating or leaking.

Cheers,
Steve

wjduke
08-16-2017, 04:14 PM

I don't stop very often. Just for gas or if I'm zoning out from the bike running so smooth. I don't see the need for constant fluid intake, at least where I live. At my age, I do have to stop for bathroom breaks. Guess I'm getting old.

Hornblower
08-16-2017, 05:02 PM
My personal choice is the Hydro Flask like this one on Amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Flask-Double-Insulated-Stainless/dp/B00JSFV2BO/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1502920401&sr=1-1&keywords=hydroflask%2B32oz%2Bwide%2Bmouth&th=1&psc=1

It keeps drinks cold all day long. I usually put 4-5 ice cubes in and fill with water. So now, at gas stops I don't have to run in and buy a bottle of water. These flasks aren't cheap but should last a long, long time and can be used for hot or cold drinks. Also, they're easy to clean (much easier than cleaning a Camelbak, IMHO).

crossbowme
08-16-2017, 08:02 PM
This is what I use: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2-5-Litre-MOLLE-Aqua-Bladder-Camel-Back-Official-MultiCam-Military-Camo-/400781180218?hash=item5d506b7d3a:g:~2gAAOSwEK9UKXi D

Works great when I remember to bring it with me!

jmdaniel
08-17-2017, 11:46 AM
I don't stop very often. Just for gas or if I'm zoning out from the bike running so smooth. I don't see the need for constant fluid intake, at least where I live. At my age, I do have to stop for bathroom breaks. Guess I'm getting old.

When it's hot enough to have the Camelbak on, I'm also sweating. That means all that goes in one location doesn't come out in one location on the other end, youknowwhatImean? Works for me... as always, YMMV.

wjduke
08-17-2017, 11:52 AM
When it's hot enough to have the Camelbak on, I'm also sweating. That means all that goes in one location doesn't come out in one location on the other end, youknowwhatImean? Works for me... as always, YMMV.
There's a slight issue with TX heat compared to our heat too...I get that part, just don't see that here at all.

imscots
08-21-2017, 03:10 PM

No leaks or sweating. It is insulated and zips up. Keeps stuff cold all day.

shortleg0521
08-22-2017, 06:24 AM
They are also good for keeping your body cool when its hot.
Have kept mine next to my body when it is filled with ice and water.
They are a good thing to have when traveling all day in the strong sun.
always to remember to keep the water going during your ride.