PDA

View Full Version : BMW K1600B

unsub
08-20-2017, 11:52 AM
The Beemer Bagger or BeemBag if you prefer, is popping up a lot on line these days. However it's driving me crazy how the "reviewers" and I use this term loosely, keep saying it's "competing in the tradition of Harley", has the "lines of a Harley"..etc.... I guess it could technically be, as could the Honda F6B, but I haven't seen a single review where anyone compares it to it's most obvious competition, which is our beloved B!

I mean for crying out loud BMW even took the fast black and the moniker "B" from Honda so I want to see a side by side comfort, power and handling comparison.

I need enlightenment. If someone has a link to such a comparison review I would appreciate them posting it here.

F6B1911
08-20-2017, 01:37 PM
Exactly, I've been waiting for that exact review, don't think it'll happen now, the F6B is 4 years old, nothing new to warrant a review with a 2017 model.
The K1600B is too much of a compromise compared to the Concept 101, which is what the K1600B should have been.
The bags are rather small. You can't beat the price compared to the F6B Deluxe.

But it beats out the F6B in current technology...
• Safety package: Adaptive headlight, tire pressure monitor (TPM), and Hill Start Control
• Comfort package: Gear Shift Assist Pro, central locking system
• Anti-theft alarm
• Keyless Ride
• LED auxiliary lights
• Touring Package: Reverse assist, GPS preparation, and audio system with radio, Sirius XM, and Bluetooth
• Three riding modes (Rain, Road, and Dynamic), Dynamic Traction Control, cornering-optimized integral ABS Pro
• Heated seats and hand grips
• Power adjustable windshield
• Cruise control,
• Multifunction display with on-board computer,
• Dynamic Electronic Suspension Adjustment (D-ESA) with “Road” and “Cruise” damping modes.
and a slew of expensive options

Ultimate Motorcycling Magazines does mention that "The bike—a direct aim at the Honda Gold Wing F6B—was designed to appeal to the American bagger market, and is designed to be low and sleek."
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2017/03/20/2018-bmw-k-1600-b-bagger-price-announced-usa/

If it looked just a bit more like the original Concept 101, I'd buy one.

opas ride
08-20-2017, 02:12 PM
Exactly, I've been waiting for that exact review, don't think it'll happen now, the F6B is 4 years old, nothing new to warrant a review with a 2017 model.
The K1600B is too much of a compromise compared to the Concept 101, which is what the K1600B should have been.

• Safety package: Adaptive headlight, tire pressure monitor (TPM), and Hill Start Control
• Anti-theft alarm
• Keyless Ride
• LED auxiliary lights
• Touring Package: Reverse assist, GPS preparation, and audio system with radio, Sirius XM, and Bluetooth
• Three riding modes (Rain, Road, and Dynamic), Dynamic Traction Control, cornering-optimized integral ABS Pro
• Cruise control,
• Dynamic Electronic Suspension Adjustment (D-ESA) with “Road” and “Cruise” damping modes.

Ultimate Motorcycling Magazines does mention that "The bike—a direct aim at the Honda Gold Wing F6B—was designed to appeal to the American bagger market, and is designed to be low and sleek."
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2017/03/20/2018-bmw-k-1600-b-bagger-price-announced-usa/

Once I see this bike I will then decide what I am going to do...If it fits me right and the seat is low enough, etc. etc., I might just "pull the trigger" as this will most likely be my last bike as 78 is around the corner for me...Anxious to also see the 2018 Indian Chieftain and "hopefully" a 2018 F6B!!!...Ride safe

broncsrule21
08-20-2017, 02:38 PM
To me (I haven't seen it in person), from the rear, it looks like an adventure bike, very high. From the front, it looks more "sport tour" than bagger. That motor though, has me drooling. Bags look even smaller the the 6's, electronics seem awesome, but isn't that one of the known historic problems with Beemers? (could be wrong on that.....) I wish they made a V-Max bagger.....

F6B1911
08-20-2017, 03:23 PM
I wish they made a V-Max bagger.....

Yeah, Yamaha choked on the new "Transcontinental Tourer," The power plant should have been from the V-Max, not a V-Twin.

opas ride
08-20-2017, 04:49 PM
Yeah, Yamaha choked on the new "Transcontinental Tourer," The power plant should have been from the V-Max, not a V-Twin.

Hey there, I am not so sure about the Yamaha decision...Big V-Twins have dominated touring bikes for years and Yamaha makes one of the best out there...GW's are great touring bikes, as are big "beemers", but Indian also makes really nice big V-Twin tourers...HD has been a top seller for years... Hope for a much improved new generation of Goldwings in the future and only time will tell....Ride safe

unsub
08-20-2017, 05:14 PM

• Anti-theft alarm
• Keyless Ride
• LED auxiliary lights
• Cruise control,

No disputing the technology (which scares me a little when it's on a BMW) is superior but I'm interested in a point A-B ride where the riders change out at the halfway point and compare the rides..sigh..

broncsrule21
08-20-2017, 06:07 PM
Hey there, I am not so sure about the Yamaha decision...Big V-Twins have dominated touring bikes for years and Yamaha makes one of the best out there...GW's are great touring bikes, as are big "beemers", but Indian also makes really nice big V-Twin tourers...HD has been a top seller for years... Hope for a much improved new generation of Goldwings in the future and only time will tell....Ride safe

I don't want a touring bike. I'm talking about a mean ass bagger. I know it's a pipe dream, not very realistic. But if BMW can build a 160 hp bagger, why couldn't one of the Japanese makers build one on one of their HP motor platforms? Again just dreaming, but I would be first in line... here's another... maybe Ducati puts the V4 motor they are rumored to be working on in the Xdiavel.... +200hp cruiser. Or how about KTM makes something else on that 1290 platform...I need a beer😎!

Jimmytee
08-20-2017, 06:13 PM
I wouldn't leave my B for a Beemer B. Might be more tempted if the rumors hold out for the new GL line

unsub
08-20-2017, 06:46 PM
I wouldn't leave my B for a Beemer B. Might be more tempted if the rumors hold out for the new GL line

:yes:

F6B1911
08-20-2017, 06:50 PM
I don't want a touring bike. I'm talking about a mean ass bagger. here's another... maybe Ducati puts the V4 motor they are rumored to be working on in the Xdiavel.... +200hp cruiser.

A Ducati XDiavel Diesel bagger would be a mean ass bagger.

unsub
08-20-2017, 06:56 PM
Once I see this bike I will then decide what I am going to do...If it fits me right and the seat is low enough, etc. etc., I might just "pull the trigger" as this will most likely be my last bike as 78 is around the corner for me...Anxious to also see the 2018 Indian Chieftain and "hopefully" a 2018 F6B!!!...Ride safe

And still riding! I drink a toast to you sir!:cheers:

TripleDuck
08-20-2017, 07:46 PM
Purely from ascetics (which are important but not #1), someone else will have to ride that one.

F6B1911
08-20-2017, 09:13 PM
And still riding! I drink a toast to you sir!:cheers:

Opas Ride says he's 78, but looks 58, and drives like he's 28.

Verismo
08-21-2017, 02:32 AM
I'm looking forward to riding the Beemer at some point, but in no hurry considering how much I like the B. However, that said, a couple of notes: The bags looked a little smaller to me, too, but I heard on one of the video reviews that they could each fit a full face helmet, so maybe they're actually bigger? Central locking would be nice on ours, and the K has it, but even without, I think the integration of ours looks better.

Besides Central locking, though, there are plenty of features that make this seem like a fun ride. Multiple on the fly suspension modes, electronic windshield (a little silly this one in particular isn't already on the Goldwing platform), and that engine. 160 ponies. Yeehaw. Not to mention the inline 6 allows for easy toes-forward foot positions, and those forward position floorboards look pretty trick to me, and quite comfortable. Being able to plant your feet forward and clutchlessly shift on a bagger seems like a VERY nice combo.

Like I said, I'm looking forward to riding it at some point. But honestly, I'm looking even more forward to Honda's answer to it. What great time to be alive. :)

Jason

Jimmytee
08-21-2017, 05:17 AM
I'm looking forward to riding the Beemer at some point, but in no hurry considering how much I like the B. However, that said, a couple of notes: The bags looked a little smaller to me, too, but I heard on one of the video reviews that they could each fit a full face helmet, so maybe they're actually bigger? Central locking would be nice on ours, and the K has it, but even without, I think the integration of ours looks better.

Besides Central locking, though, there are plenty of features that make this seem like a fun ride. Multiple on the fly suspension modes, electronic windshield (a little silly this one in particular isn't already on the Goldwing platform), and that engine. 160 ponies. Yeehaw. Not to mention the inline 6 allows for easy toes-forward foot positions, and those forward position floorboards look pretty trick to me, and quite comfortable. Being able to plant your feet forward and clutchlessly shift on a bagger seems like a VERY nice combo.

Like I said, I'm looking forward to riding it at some point. But honestly, I'm looking even more forward to Honda's answer to it. What great time to be alive. :)

Jason
I tried to find an actual dyno for the 1600 series and didn't come up with one. I know it has more horses and the inline 6 is considered a great engine, but isn't the 160 hp just a claimed hp? Also , I'm not sure that 160 hp isn't at the crank as opposed to what actually makes it to the ground. I didn't spend a lot of time searching, but what searching I did, I didn't come up with anything other than the stats the BMW claims. For instance , our GL1800s are supposed to produce 118 hp at the crank, but depending on which dyno you look at , only 100 to 106 make it to the ground.

I'm sure the BMW is a great ride though. I still think the F6B "eclipses" :icon_doh: the BMW in the looks department.:icon_lol:

I've have on the fly suspension adjustment on my B. Well , at least for the rear.:icon_wink:

broncsrule21
08-21-2017, 05:36 AM
There havnt been any actual testing of the bike that I know of. I think those figures are taken from the other bikes that BMW uses that 1600cc motor in. Who knows, the power could be different ala the 1340cc motor in the Hayabusa and B-king. Some slight changes here and there changes the HP and torque numbers slighty.

Verismo
08-21-2017, 07:00 AM
I tried to find an actual dyno for the 1600 series and didn't come up with one.

I haven't seen an actual Dyno yet, either, Jimmytee. But I do know a couple of guys who have run their F6C and F6b against a K1600GTL, same engine. Both were glad they didn't do it for pink slips.

Cool Hand Luke
08-21-2017, 01:26 PM
First test ride I found: http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-bmw-k1600-b-review

I sat on one at this year's Daytona Bikeweek. It was on centerstand at BMW of Daytona. Also, the BMW rep was there to answer questions.

It felt comfortable (I'm 6'), reach to handlebars was good for me. Forward floorboards were great, great legroom. Bike made great sound (it was started for us and I was able to rev the throttle). It just felt very well put together. I like the power windshield (really miss that on F6B).

Saddlebags are not removable (at least not meant to be) and smaller than on F6B. I asked the rep about the trunk and he said that the accessory trunk will be available and it is being specifically designed for this bike.

Overall an impressive design, especially for solo rider (which is me). I used to have 2000 BMW K1200LT and loved it, it gave me over 80,000 trouble free and fun miles. I am not a GW guy (I sold my 2007 GW for 2013 F6B). I like my F6B (have over 34,000 miles on it so far, not bad considering I have other bikes and work full time) but it is starting to feel outdated to me. I am very curious if new GW and hopefully F6B comes around soon. I will take a chance and test ride this new BMW when opportunity presents itself.

However, even if I like it (or new GW for that matter) I don't want to buy it new. I have owned close to 20 bikes in my life so far, all I got used except for F6B. I usually did very good financially buying and selling them, but it looks like I will loose the most on F6B (bought new for 17,250 but it looks like the true value of it currently is around 10,000). For example, 2000 BMW K1200LT Custom was listed around 22,000 new, I got it for 12,000 a year old with 3,000 miles on it. After 8-9 years and over 80,000 miles I sold it for 7,000. Another time I bought 2012 Victory Cross Country (a great bike) about a year old for 10,500 and sold it 3 months ago for 9,000 (only because Victory closed as a brand). So, I will use my current F6B for at least 2-3 more years to amortize the cost and enjoy riding it, even though a new GW may become available. But that's just me.

98valk
08-21-2017, 02:57 PM
Hey BMW copied my bag netting at the bottom of the opening. It looks darn near identical to mine!

It works great. Keeps small things from falling into the hinges. And is easily stretchable for putting in large items.

Here's my pic: Oops, still no worky ...

unsub
08-21-2017, 03:17 PM
First test ride I found: http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-bmw-k1600-b-review

I sat on one at this year's Daytona Bikeweek. It was on centerstand at BMW of Daytona. Also, the BMW rep was there to answer questions.

:yes:

Brewdog
08-21-2017, 03:57 PM
The bike looks terrific and no doubt performs according to the specs. My biggest issue is getting in bed with the dealers. Every one I've been to is arrogant not to mention expensive, and they rule the warranty with an iron fist. I was at the one in Cleveland and the shop was so full of bike repairs sitting around, you could barely walk through it. Looking further at the BMW forums, these machines are not without their problems and issues. I'm sticking with the F6B and will happily wait for the next generation from Honda.

Jimmytee
08-21-2017, 04:08 PM
The BMW is promising, but one thing I've noticed about this bike and the other 1600 is the problem there would be in upgrading the stereo. If you are one who just listens through headsets, it's a non issue. Even in this review, the stereo was said to be drowned out at 50 mph...lol Now I know my stereo is far from stock, but I just came back yesterday from a 5 state weekend excursion, and my system is rocking. Even at 80 plus mph, I can hear clearly my system with every kick and bass beat. I'm sure this is secondary or a non issue for some, but I know from all the messages back and forth I've entertained, that many have sought out improving the audio on these F6Bs. Looking at that bike it seems hard to imagine being able to do much with it. Just one negative I see with it.

ths61
08-21-2017, 04:13 PM
The BMW is promising, but one thing I've noticed about this bike and the other 1600 is the problem there would be in upgrading the stereo. If you are one who just listens through headsets, it's a non issue. Even in this review, the stereo was said to be drowned out at 50 mph...lol Now I know my stereo is far from stock, but I just came back yesterday from a 5 state weekend excursion, and my system is rocking. Even at 80 plus mph, I can hear clearly my system with every kick and bass beat. I'm sure this is secondary or a non issue for some, but I know from all the messages back and forth I've entertained, that many have sought out improving the audio on these F6Bs. Looking at that bike it seems hard to imagine being able to do much with it. Just one negative I see with it.

LOUD MOTORCYCLE STEREOS SAVE LIVES !!!

New bikes should provision for at least 6.5's front and rear. Adding a mic'd PA for the stereo would also be nice to talk to cagers. =)

Jimmytee
08-21-2017, 05:30 PM
LOUD MOTORCYCLE STEREOS SAVE LIVES !!!

New bikes should provision for at least 6.5's front and rear. Adding a mic'd PA for the stereo would also be nice to talk to cagers. =)

IKR :icon_lol:

Seriously, it's part of the deal for me. I really enjoy the whole package. I've sunk some cash into mine, so I guess I have less to want after. Don't get me wrong, I would love to test ride one of those, almost afraid to.:icon_wink: I will definitely be waiting to see what Honda does with the GL line before I would plunk down money for the BMW. This past weekend ride I was ever so pleased with my B though.

LA Weld
08-21-2017, 06:42 PM
The bike looks terrific and no doubt performs according to the specs. My biggest issue is getting in bed with the dealers. Every one I've been to is arrogant not to mention expensive, and they rule the warranty with an iron fist. I was at the one in Cleveland and the shop was so full of bike repairs sitting around, you could barely walk through it. Looking further at the BMW forums, these machines are not without their problems and issues. I'm sticking with the F6B and will happily wait for the next generation from Honda.

Coming off a BMW, I can attest to deal warranty issues as I had a gremlin in my computer that was a 9 month + ordeal that dealer A could never get right and dealer B fixed the bike after 3 DEAD ON ROAD recalls.
The first bill was 1500.00 and a call to BMW. They competed the part as the bike was out of warranty and the problem was noted before warranty expired but I was on my own for the labor.
The Dealer in my opinion was more than fair and I would not hesitate to purchase from THIS Dealer.
With that said I now have my F6B, and do not even worry about vehicle engineered flaws that BMW is known for :banghead: and they have a few....

The K1600 has a loyal following and I am sure the 1600B is a fine machine, but that price tag is way to high for a first year flaw finder in my opinion.
K13 was a 11 plus year run starting in 2004 with the 1200 and still had clutch issues in 2015. German engineering is sometimes more complicated than it needs to be.:stirthepot:

Jimmytee
08-21-2017, 06:52 PM
Coming off a BMW, I can attest to deal warranty issues as I had a gremlin in my computer that was a 9 month + ordeal that dealer A could never get right and dealer B fixed the bike after 3 DEAD ON ROAD recalls.
The first bill was 1500.00 and a call to BMW. They competed the part as the bike was out of warranty and the problem was noted before warranty expired but I was on my own for the labor.
The Dealer in my opinion was more than fair and I would not hesitate to purchase from THIS Dealer.
With that said I now have my F6B, and do not even worry about vehicle engineered flaws that BMW is known for :banghead: and they have a few....

The K1600 has a loyal following and I am sure the 1600B is a fine machine, but that price tag is way to high for a first year flaw finder in my opinion.
K13 was a 11 plus year run starting in 2004 with the 1200 and still had clutch issues in 2015. German engineering is sometimes more complicated than it needs to be.:stirthepot:

The reliability factor was another reason I went with the B in 2014. The BMW K1600GT and GTL were on my list of potentials. I was never quite enthused about the front end appearance, but reading through some of the trouble issues with the electronics was definitely something that went into the consideration. Hopefully by now ,they have those gremlins resolved.

LA Weld
08-21-2017, 07:31 PM
The reliability factor was another reason I went with the B in 2014. The BMW K1600GT and GTL were on my list of potentials. I was never quite enthused about the front end appearance, but reading through some of the trouble issues with the electronics was definitely something that went into the consideration. Hopefully by now ,they have those gremlins resolved.
Not from what I have heard:yikes:
The GS1200 is hands down the bike to have for touring SO I HAVE BEEN TOLD, that is not my style of ride for me. many a K13 ride went to the GS, I went the other way.:jerkit:
I am getting ready to do a week on the F6 and I will see if I miss my sport touring rocket. I just could not see myself on a GS:icon_lol:

Cool Hand Luke
08-21-2017, 07:37 PM
I also discontinued BMW ownership after my K1200LT. I have to say that it was very reliable and never let me down. 2 things broke during my 80,000+ miles with it:

- trunk lock latch. All of them would break at some point. It was over engineered, too many small weak parts, and made out of pot metal. If broke under warranty BMW would replace the whole trunk! BMW did not sell just the latch itself. If outside the warranty you were on your own. Finally a gentleman from K1200LT forum made replacement latches out of aircraft grade aluminum, guaranteed for life. I installed his and never a problem again.
- shift linkage broke. Apparently some were not lubed properly at the assembly line. The dealer replaced it for free (to me), lubed it properly and I never had a problem again.

That was it. Never an engine, transmission or frame problem. I also would recommend my dealer, Touring Sports in Greenville SC. They also sold Ducati, Aprilia, Vespa and maybe more. They were very professional. Because they are about 120 miles from my house I always made a service appointment. They would take the bike in and start working on it right away. I simply waited there until finished.

I have a Honda dealer in town and this is pretty much the reason I decided on Honda. It just seemed like a safe choice. So far F6B has been very reliable and enjoyable bike. Sometimes, though, to me it feels so refined that is bland and lacks a bit more character. I have to admit that I really enjoy riding my Ultra Classic, which by comparison feels like it has a pulse and makes me feel 'bad'. That's why I always have at least 2 bikes at a time, a sportier tourer and a cruiser, as I really enjoy feeling different while riding each bike. Kind of like owning a sports convertible and a pickup truck. I like both.

Seems to me that BMW bikes suffer mostly from electrical problems, which is a direct result of putting so much technology in them. Maybe over time they'll get it right. I like the tech in bikes. Next gen Honda GW, if they continue, should be tech ladden as well. Just look at new Yamaha Venture (which I will try as well).

It's good to have many choices.

Jimmytee
08-21-2017, 09:10 PM
Not from what I have heard:yikes:
The GS1200 is hands down the bike to have for touring SO I HAVE BEEN TOLD, that is not my style of ride for me. many a K13 ride went to the GS, I went the other way.:jerkit:
I am getting ready to do a week on the F6 and I will see if I miss my sport touring rocket. I just could not see myself on a GS:icon_lol:

I didn't even mention the GS1200 :shrug:

fast eddie
08-25-2017, 08:30 PM
What would take me away from my F6B would be 2 things i want and the Beemer has Reverse and 6th gear. The Beemer has those really cool floor boards, LED circular headlites, wind deflectors I have to see it in person before I buy but it had my attention. Oh and a nav system too

Brewdog
08-25-2017, 09:25 PM

Thanks for the great comments! You confirmed my suspicions. The K1600 is a great bike but I'm sticking with the "B." Its rock solid engineering. I saw a guy riding a HD Roadglide over the weekend in New York off I-90 at a rest stop. He loved my F6B and said it best, with Harley you pay for the name, with Honda you pay for the engineering. He's ready to unload the road glide and move on.

unsub
08-26-2017, 10:47 AM
What would take me away from my F6B would be 2 things i want and the Beemer has Reverse and 6th gear. The Beemer has those really cool floor boards, LED circular headlites, wind deflectors I have to see it in person before I buy but it had my attention. Oh and a nav system too

I just saw one in person. I thought I might like it and I wanted to like it once I had access for myself.

I can't put my finger on it, but it just looked way more complex and "busy" than our B. The engine is the focal point of the bike. It's not pretty, and appears to be way over engineered imo, whereas our B's engine is down and out of the way and "looks" smaller. The tank hump is the other part of the design that doesn't appeal to me now. It's much larger and in your face than the photos give away. Although I'm sure it's highway capable and has too much cool stuff to mention, but the bike's design seems to limit it's true purpose to city cruising and posing, unlike our very versatile B.

After my walk around I hopped back on my B the first thing that sprang to my mind was how "svelte" it felt.

Anyway the experience has allowed me to get it out of my system and move on - so to speak.

PS the experience reminded me that although it would be nice to have Honda release an updated version of the wing with new bells and whistles, I don't want them to mess with the design.

PPS...oh yeah Will, the pipes. Hornblower might be able to appreciate them, I understand they're tuned in B flat!

:039:

willtill
08-26-2017, 11:49 AM
Those pipes look like they belong on a Mac truck.

opas ride
08-26-2017, 02:23 PM
Those pipes look like they belong on a Mac truck.

I loved the thing at first glance, but now after more info/pictures are released I am not so sure..Agree the pipes are way to big and ugly and the gas tank "hump" is not my thing, but I will wait until I see one in person to place further judgments...So far this year I have seen nothing new that would prompt me to get rid of the F6B...Although I really do like the new Yamaha Touring bike I don't take many long trips anymore, so it would be wasted money for me....Hope Ma Honda does something really sweet with the new GW and perhaps a newer version of the B....Ride safe

jmdaniel
08-27-2017, 01:18 PM
Here's a review. As a guy that owns an FJR and an F6B, I had to laugh at the description of the front end (FJR) and the back end (F6B) of the BMW. Maybe if I leave my two bikes in the garage with some candles and a little Marvin Gaye, they'll create a Beemer baby of my own! ;)

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2018-bmw-k-1600-b-first-ride-review

WEGI
08-27-2017, 08:57 PM
As a guy that owns an FJR and an F6B,.....

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2018-bmw-k-1600-b-first-ride-review

Hi Jeff

So what decides which bike you take out? Length of ride? Weather? Which needs the dust blown off?

I also have a stablemate for the B, a Kawa Vulcan 1700 that I run for shorter day trips to keep it charged up! The B is the bike of choice for just about any ride for me...

WEG

unsub
08-27-2017, 09:49 PM
From the article, tell me it ain't so!

"The back half looks very close to a Honda F6B to me, which would have been a competitor for this bike if it was still in production."

jmdaniel
08-28-2017, 05:46 AM
Hi Jeff

So what decides which bike you take out? Length of ride? Weather? Which needs the dust blown off?

I also have a stablemate for the B, a Kawa Vulcan 1700 that I run for shorter day trips to keep it charged up! The B is the bike of choice for just about any ride for me...

WEG

It usually comes down to a need for luggage. The FJR has lots, with the side bags, each of which is 3x the size of the same on the B, a Mama Yama rear case, and a Corbin Smuggler, because the wife don't ride. I was taking the B for the trip this week, because I have plenty of other reasons to be verbally abused, so didn't need to bring an FJR to a B rally...

http://imgur.com/kIWk1wWhttp://imgur.com/kIWk1wWhttp://i.imgur.com/kIWk1wWh.jpg

jmdaniel
08-28-2017, 05:47 AM
From the article, tell me it ain't so!

"The back half looks very close to a Honda F6B to me, which would have been a competitor for this bike if it was still in production."

Well, in the US, there was no '17 model, so it's kinda sorta true.

speedjunkie
08-28-2017, 11:15 AM
It usually comes down to a need for luggage. The FJR has lots, with the side bags, each of which is 3x the size of the same on the B, a Mama Yama rear case, and a Corbin Smuggler, because the wife don't ride.

Wait, what? The fjr has more luggage space than the B? It's been over 10 years since I traded my 05 away, but we had 24k happy miles. That is the bike that I still get real close to gushing over, every time I think/talk about her. Maybe I need to consider going back? Hmmm.

Mike

imported_scottydi
08-28-2017, 12:00 PM
If you want a truly bad ass bagger the KTM Super Duke GT could fit the bill, not really a bagger per say, but could be an absolute blast to ride. Guess it would be a "sport touring" bike.

WEGI
08-28-2017, 07:48 PM
It usually comes down to a need for luggage. The FJR has lots...

Thanks for the reply Jeff. I can understand that.
I strap a 40 liter Torrent bag to the back seat to take my "stuff", but a top case is a real nice addition. Plus I never seem to have any extra space in my saddlebags! But the ride is just the best. I haven't ridden an FJ so can't compare but I do know it's an IB favorite.

Enjoy the rally

WEG

jmdaniel
08-28-2017, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the reply Jeff. I can understand that.
I strap a 40 liter Torrent bag to the back seat to take my "stuff", but a top case is a real nice addition. Plus I never seem to have any extra space in my saddlebags! But the ride is just the best. I haven't ridden an FJ so can't compare but I do know it's an IB favorite.

Enjoy the rally

WEG

Yeah, not making the rally this year. We have this little thing in Texas called Harvey, and I don't ride in that kind of rain... mebbe next year. On a lighter note, WingDing is three hours north, and away from the coast!

jmdaniel
08-28-2017, 10:03 PM
Wait, what? The fjr has more luggage space than the B? It's been over 10 years since I traded my 05 away, but we had 24k happy miles. That is the bike that I still get real close to gushing over, every time I think/talk about her. Maybe I need to consider going back? Hmmm.

Mike

You can pick up clean Gen IIs for about $5K now, which is one of the reasons mine is going to be living here for quite some time. The side cases are 30 liters each, and I believe the B is 11 liters each.

speedjunkie
08-28-2017, 10:13 PM
You can pick up clean Gen IIs for about $5K now, which is one of the reasons mine is going to be living here for quite some time. The side cases are 30 liters each, and I believe the B is 11 liters each.

The B is advertised with 22l, I assume that is each, not total. Surely that's not total. I'd probably get a current gen for the tbw & cruise alone. All I know, next bike will be abs again.

Mike

michal
09-03-2017, 07:19 AM

Jason Test drove one two weeks ago, smoother than my F6B with more power. Was raining so wasn't able to really hit the gas. Also bags look smaller but are larger than F6b. Handling function & ride quality are better too. Love my F6 but might wait a year & decide. When facing the front faring they look a little like a space ship, fit & finish was spot on.

Cool Hand Luke
09-03-2017, 08:59 AM
Test drove one two weeks ago, smoother than my F6B with more power. Was raining so wasn't able to really hit the gas. Also bags look smaller but are larger than F6b. Handling function & ride quality are better too. Love my F6 but might wait a year & decide. When facing the front faring they look a little like a space ship, fit & finish was spot on.

That's awesome, thanks for the review. I'm really suprised about the bags, I thought they are smaller than F6B. Less weight and more power is a good thing. I like my F6B but I will test drive a BMW when opportunity presents itself. I'm also curious about the new Wing, if there is any next year. What with Harley updating it's line, BMW with their bagger and Yamaha with new Venture the market is getting heated. Logic dictates that Honda should update the Goldwing platform soon.

Verismo
09-03-2017, 03:16 PM
Test drove one two weeks ago, smoother than my F6B with more power. Was raining so wasn't able to really hit the gas. Also bags look smaller but are larger than F6b. Handling function & ride quality are better too. Love my F6 but might wait a year & decide. When facing the front faring they look a little like a space ship, fit & finish was spot on.

Nice!! I'm looking forward to riding one. However, owning one will definitely have to wait a couple of years for others to eat some depreciation, look for any reliability red flags, and also for Honda to answer the call with their new offerings. In the meantime, I'm riding one of the best bikes I've ever ridden, the F6b, so all of this is just fun food for thought to me.

Jason

bigdawg
09-03-2017, 04:32 PM
The K1600b is a great bike and I have owned one for about a week. I love my F6B so I plan on keeping it for a long time. It has taken quite a bit of work to make the F6B extremely comfortable for me (taller windscreen, Corbin seat, Air Hawk pad, bar risers) and I think it will probably be a little less work to make the K1600b as comfortable for the long rides. Out of the box it is a lot more fun, sporty and refined in every way possible than the F6b. It's electronically controlled dynamic suspension results in a very luxurious ride and it handles corners like a sport bike. What a hoot!! The saddlebags are oddly shaped, but hold 37 liters each. The stock seat is better to me than the F6B stock seat (you also have your choice of the standard seat height or a shorter seat at no extra cost) but I will need a little more comfort and a seat with a backrest for long trips. Rumor is that BMW is designing such a seat or I will have to wait for an aftermarket seat. In the meantime the stock seat is pretty good. I have a Cee Bailey windscreen that is 3 inches taller (choices are 3 inch up to 11 inches taller in 2 inch increments) on order and I have ordered the saddlebag liners and center stand. The Garmin GPS is the bomb! I also own a 2014 K1600gt and have not had any problems in 3 awesome years of ownership. The BMW 6 cylinder motors are simply intoxicating.

Cool Hand Luke
09-03-2017, 08:00 PM
The K1600b is a great bike and I have owned one for about a week. I love my F6B so I plan on keeping it for a long time. It has taken quite a bit of work to make the F6B extremely comfortable for me (taller windscreen, Corbin seat, Air Hawk pad, bar risers) and I think it will probably be a little less work to make the K1600b as comfortable for the long rides. Out of the box it is a lot more fun, sporty and refined in every way possible than the F6b. It's electronically controlled dynamic suspension results in a very luxurious ride and it handles corners like a sport bike. What a hoot!! The saddlebags are oddly shaped, but hold 37 liters each. The stock seat is better to me than the F6B stock seat (you also have your choice of the standard seat height or a shorter seat at no extra cost) but I will need a little more comfort and a seat with a backrest for long trips. Rumor is that BMW is designing such a seat or I will have to wait for an aftermarket seat. In the meantime the stock seat is pretty good. I have a Cee Bailey windscreen that is 3 inches taller (choices are 3 inch up to 11 inches taller in 2 inch increments) on order and I have ordered the saddlebag liners and center stand. The Garmin GPS is the bomb! I also own a 2014 K1600gt and have not had any problems in 3 awesome years of ownership. The BMW 6 cylinder motors are simply intoxicating.

Wow, that's pretty good! Now it makes me want to test ride it sooner. Hopefully at Daytona Biketoberfest BMW will have some to try.