PDA

View Full Version : Well hell!

speedjunkie
08-20-2017, 02:01 PM
High sided the wing this AM on the way to work avoiding three deer, which earned me a bus ride to the hospital. Got a little rash on my knuckles, knees, & left love handle. Also broke my ankle, cracked my scapula, 6 cracked ribs, & 6 staples in my scalp. They'll decide what to do with ankle & shoulder tomorrow. The bright side of this? It wasn't the shovel!

Mike

Drive Jehu
08-20-2017, 02:13 PM
speedjunkie, I'm sorry about your crash, sounds painful, but very glad that you are alive to tell about it! I hope you have a quick and full recovery.

tpwood
08-20-2017, 02:49 PM
So sorry to hear that! wish you a speedy recovery! Hit a deer on my GL1500 a few years ago at 65 mph, luckily I hit the head on my left side and just broke some plastic and blew my saddle bag apart, kept on riding.
Get Well Soon!

broncsrule21
08-20-2017, 03:05 PM
Staples in the head? ouch! Get better quick!

willtill
08-20-2017, 04:10 PM
...go one of us. :shock:

How is the bike?

I wish you the best and may you heal without issues. Deer scare the crap outta me when on my bikes and we are getting into the rut soon.

Btw.. I hunt them as well. The first one I take this fall will be in honor/payback for you.

speedjunkie
08-20-2017, 04:49 PM
Buddy is going to look at bike tomorrow. I've never had the desire to buy & fill a dear tag......till now.

Mike

Jimmytee
08-20-2017, 06:17 PM
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Wishing a speedy recovery.

TripleDuck
08-20-2017, 06:29 PM
Hi-side a B? That must have been a rodeo. Glad you are up and typing and hope you heal quickly.

wjduke
08-20-2017, 06:36 PM
Sorry to hear this. Cracked bones are bad enough, broken ankle can haunt for a long time. Doesn't take much to total a bike either. You seem in good spirits, that's a good start.

stepbill
08-20-2017, 07:59 PM
Good luck to you Mike! Are you in the hospital or at home?

Verismo
08-20-2017, 08:32 PM
Glad your ticker is ticking and your humor is intact! Speedy recovery!!

speedjunkie
08-20-2017, 09:06 PM
I'm in the hospital, hopefully go home Tue. It may not of been a high side looking @ skid marks. I think the front folded during the front brake lockup. First deer stepped out and I was clamping down. When the other two darted put last second, I clamped down harder. Not much time to think about hitting the rear harder. Dammit.

Mike

53driver
08-20-2017, 09:42 PM
HOLY CRAP!!!!

As already noted - glad you are typing and telling the tale!!!!
If you need a 'tool' to assist in filling your deer tag this season, let me know.
I have several fun options!!

Cheers,
Steve

willtill
08-21-2017, 06:26 AM
Deer are so unpredictable. And when you see one.. there's usually a couple more still unseen but close. I've read that the best thing to do is rapid de-acceleration and prepare to drive through them if required. swerving will likely produce contact due to their unpredictability.

I have never had a close call (yet) with deer while on my bike... but have in my truck.

Secondary roads arounf here where I'm at always increase my pucker factor at dawn/dusk. That's when they start moving. At night time right now... forgetaboutit.. I try not to run at night towards this coming time of year. :nono: deer up here are thicker than ticks on a hound dog.

Navvet
08-21-2017, 08:27 AM
Sorry to hear about your mishap, hope every thing goes back together quickly .....

Not to start any controversy but ....

After I retired and the wife was still active, I commuted from Norfolk. Va to Raleigh, NC every weekend for 6+ years across a road known as "Suicide Strip". I was averaging a "critter strike" every 3-4 months. These included dogs, cats deer, coons, possum, etc ....

After i bagged my 6th deer, I decided to add those cheap dear whistles from walmart.

15 years later and (knock on wood) I have yet to hit anything bigger than a squirrel.

As a side note, I put a set on an SUV roof, near the luggage rack. After 2 or 3 miles on the interstate I had to pull over and tear them off .... The noise made my teeth hurt !!!!

I am not saying they work and I am not advocating anyone to use them .... but I will not drive a vehicle without them.

f6bdan
08-21-2017, 08:39 AM
[QUOTE=speedjunkie;154409]I'm in the hospital, hopefully go home Tue. It may not of been a high side looking @ skid marks. I think the front folded during the front brake lockup. First deer stepped out and I was clamping down. When the other two darted put last second, I clamped down harder. Not much time to think about hitting the rear harder. Dammit.

All good thoughts your way. Glad you survived. As for me I think Ill practice some emergency braking and swerving. Can only help. Thanks for the incentive.

Dan

choptop
08-21-2017, 12:21 PM
Sorry and get well soon !!

wiggy
08-21-2017, 04:29 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident. Just hearing the phrase "high side" makes me wince. Glad your injuries weren't any worse. I hope you're recovery goes well and without a hitch!

speedjunkie
08-21-2017, 08:58 PM
Put a couple screws in my ankle this evening. Probably here another day or 2 per bone doc. Thanks for all the well wishes guys! Still haven't seen pics of the scoot yet.
Appreciate all the well wishes!

Mike

WEGI
08-21-2017, 09:01 PM
Hi SpeedJunkie;

Not a good experience, but glad to hear you are still with us.
Get well Mike...

WEG

P.Sutton
08-22-2017, 08:25 AM
I had an off-road accident early 2016. Broke my left leg and tore a bunch of the connective bits in my ankle. I bought my b with the cast still on. I found that the incentive to ride my new bike was great motivation. Once the cast came off working to shift the b was incredibly difficult but was perfect rehabilitation, both mentally and physically.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope you get back in the saddle soon.

speedjunkie
08-22-2017, 08:32 PM
Buddy stopped by the yard tonight & took a few pics. Said concrete under it was dry, & the only damage noted was the L crash bars & the kury highway peg.

It looks like once I came off, the bike righted itself & rolled off the road, then tipped over on the field. So hopefully it's a real cheap fix. I've got a 500 deductible, so part of that got ate up in the tow alone.

Mike

willtill
08-23-2017, 05:38 AM
Buddy stopped by the yard tonight & took a few pics. Said concrete under it was dry, & the only damage noted was the L crash bars & the kury highway peg.

It looks like once I came off, the bike righted itself & rolled off the road, then tipped over on the field. So hopefully it's a real cheap fix. I've got a 500 deductible, so part of that got ate up in the tow alone.

Mike

That sounds like the bike made out better than you. :shhh: Which is a good thing for the pocketbook. :icon_cool:

speedjunkie
08-23-2017, 07:59 AM
Bike made out way better! Hospital stay is gonna be $!

Mike

speedjunkie
08-25-2017, 07:51 AM
Going home today. Bike made it home last night. Wife agreed, I got the shit end of the stick. I'll check it over and post back.

Mike