PDA

View Full Version : Mustang Seat

F6BPDX
10-21-2013, 02:19 PM
Just as an FYI incase anybody was waiting for it, Mustang released their F6B seat today.

http://www.mustangseats.com/Product/76840/Honda-2013-Gold-Wing-F6B-Tripper-Fastback

bobbyf6b
10-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Looks cool, I like it.

Scotrod
10-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Looks good! Uncertain if the slope in the center of the pillion would be passenger friendly, but who cares if you're a solo rider, right!?!?
$579 MSRP,,, Dang, stuffs gettin expensive,,, Neck to neck with Custom made,,

Mustangjake
10-21-2013, 03:25 PM
I don't like the driver is position father back I can't reach thehandle bars now.
but it is pretty.

opas ride
10-21-2013, 03:31 PM
I will wait until a few are sold and some reviews are out...I love the fact that it is 1"lower than stock which is a minor issue for me now...I have never had a Mustang seat on a bike ,but those that have say they are hard as rocks for the first few thousand miles???? Can't do the bucks now anyway as I spent a bundle on custom paint, Cobra pipes, Baggershield, grips, etc...

MichaelG
10-21-2013, 03:41 PM
That is a good looking seat, and the fact that it sits the rider 1" lower than stock, will be appealing to those with a shorter inseam.

Cool Hand Luke
10-21-2013, 06:14 PM
I thought I post a picture of it on a bike. It looks good, my concern is if loosing one inch of height might make it less cushy, seems to me most custom seats are thicker than stock.

I had two Mustang seats on two previously owned bikes. They are well made and not hard like Corbin. Price seems inline with other seat manufacturers, pricey but that's the world we live in.

It's good to see more choices for our bikes. I am also curious what Ultimate comes out with then I'll decide. I still like the idea of Corbin's Smuggler Trunk, however it is more expensive and you loose a helmet lock in the process.

Darkknight
10-22-2013, 08:07 AM
I thought I post a picture of it on a bike. It looks good, my concern is if loosing one inch of height might make it less cushy, seems to me most custom seats are thicker than stock.

I had two Mustang seats on two previously owned bikes. They are well made and not hard like Corbin. Price seems inline with other seat manufacturers, pricey but that's the world we live in.

It's good to see more choices for our bikes. I am also curious what Ultimate comes out with then I'll decide. I still like the idea of Corbin's Smuggler Trunk, however it is more expensive and you loose a helmet lock in the process.

CHL, I was also wondering about the loss of comfort by less foam. It will be interesting to hear reviews. Being impatient, I've already e-mailed Mustang and it wouldn't be out of character for me to order one as soon as they answer my e-mail. Hell, my VISA still has some raised numbers left on it! They're not completely worn off.

I didn't know that Mustang is up here (stone's throw from Enfield CT) in MA.:icon_doh:

Passenger comfort is a real concern for me, and I also wonder if a rider backrest is offered or needed. They did beat Ultimate to production.

I was disapointed with Corbin on this bike, LOVED my Ultimate on my last bike, and never had a Mustang.
As for price... I'd spend $1000 today for a seat that supplied all day comfort for me solo and with sweetie snuggled up to me. RDL is very interesting to me but shipping my seat to them (I shipped the corbin to NC at a cost of $157) and being without a seat for a while is not exciting to me.

dgman2
10-22-2013, 08:56 AM
I'm vey interested in a lower seat, but would like to know if the passenger seating surface has dropped an inch also in order to maintain a passenger to diver head hight equal to stock. I would also like to know if the rider area is also narrower than stock or just lower. If not narrower, the edges might still dig into this rider's medial upper thighs. If anyone from mustang is reading this, I'd appreciate a response.

chipmaker
10-22-2013, 09:02 AM
I know in the past, mustang seats were generous in their return policies...
They have a smooth and ''deluxe'' version...
http://www.mustangseats.com/dImages/76840_HD.JPG.ashx?width=800&height=800&scale=canvas
http://www.mustangseats.com/dImages/76841_HD.JPG.ashx?width=800&height=800&scale=canvas

GiddyupF6B
10-22-2013, 09:43 AM
I like that a lot! I don't like being an inch lower though, at 6'3 the stock height is perfect. The inch further back however is very appealing as my arms are bent too much for my comfort. I will be getting risers over the winter to move the bars forward and up a little. Might have to give this seat a try.

Scotrod
10-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Curious if 'farther back' is only in reference to the bottom of the riders seat. Riders 'backrest' area on the Mustang is a lot more vertical than the sloping OEM portion.

Still, a nice looking seat.

Wife had a Mustang on her Vulcan 900 that was SWEET! Same goes for the Mustang on my Friends Shadow 750. :yes:

MY Mustang on MY Liner dug into the bottom of my thighs. Same thing happened to the wife when we put my Mustang on HER Liner. :icon_frown:

Pan size/shape has a lot to do with seats.

With the foot positioning of the F6B, I'm not sure I'd want to go any further down w/o highway pegs.

CruiserCustomizing
10-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Mustang makes awesome seats. The 1 inch lower seat height should not compromise rider comfort. The foam padding that they use to construct their seats is far superior to any OEM seat foam. In addition to placing the rider 1 inch lower and further back, the seat also offers an 8 inch rise behind the driver to give additional back support, and the contoured passenger portion should definitely increase passenger comfort Cruiser Customizing sells boatloads of Mustang Seats and rarely has anyone ever been unhappy with their comfort and style. For all that goes into a Mustang Seat, the $579 to $599 price tag is a bargain. Especially for a long distance cruiser like the F6B

F6BPDX
10-22-2013, 12:08 PM
I had a Mustang seat on my Suzuki C50 and it made a world of difference. At this point I don't have any issues with the F6B seat (have only done 250 in a day and that was 125 - 2 hour break - 125) but I do wonder about it in the long run, also I like the looks of the Mustang better.

I do share part of Scotrods concern, while I wish I was an inch lower from the perspective of being able to flat-foot the bike comfortably I am not big on the idea of having an extra inch of bend in my knees. I am thinking that maybe the Mustang seat with the Kuryakyn pegs that give a 3/4" drop might be the way to go, although chances are it is an upgrade that will have to wait until beginning of next year so I will be watching for reviews if anyone else decides to be the forum guinea pig.

GiddyupF6B
10-22-2013, 12:43 PM
Mustang makes awesome seats. The 1 inch lower seat height should not compromise rider comfort. The foam padding that they use to construct their seats is far superior to any OEM seat foam. In addition to placing the rider 1 inch lower and further back, the seat also offers an 8 inch rise behind the driver to give additional back support, and the contoured passenger portion should definitely increase passenger comfort Cruiser Customizing sells boatloads of Mustang Seats and rarely has anyone ever been unhappy with their comfort and style. For all that goes into a Mustang Seat, the $579 to $599 price tag is a bargain. Especially for a long distance cruiser like the F6B

Will you guys be selling these?

Cool Hand Luke
10-22-2013, 12:44 PM
The deluxe version will give a really nice look to F6B in my opinion. I might just have to bite the bullet and get it!

GiddyupF6B
10-22-2013, 01:17 PM
The ribbed seat appears to be a little thicker, maybe more padding? Also the little bumb on top of the back rest sticks out further.

db24
10-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Gets a definite "A" for looks/ styling-- but that's only a small part of the equation when it comes to bike seats. Maybe the owner of the F6B they used for the model photos is on the forum and call tell is about performance?

woody
10-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Does anyone know if you have to remove the Mustang seat in order to remove the side covers? This is important to me as anything that hinders routine maintance is not for me.

I will say I like the style of the unit and the quality is there.

Scotrod
10-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Does anyone know if you have to remove the Mustang seat in order to remove the side covers? This is important to me as anything that hinders routine maintance is not for me.

Doesn't affect oil changes, Checking antifreeze or rear brake fluid levels.

What other 'regular maintenance' are you referring to?

woody
10-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Doesn't affect oil changes, Checking antifreeze or rear brake fluid levels.

What other 'regular maintenance' are you referring to?

Battery maintenance and rear suspension adjustment. The later would be a nuisance if you had to remove the seat when ever you wished to fine tune suspension to suit conditions.

Dfinkelsteinmd
10-23-2013, 02:10 AM
I love the look of the new Mustang like everyone else who is vertically challenged (30" inseam)), but I had my OEM seat cut down by Clancy's Speed Shop in Cotati, Ca and I now sit 1" lower and my junk is not frog legged over the wide nose of the seat. He took some out of the pan on both sides of the taper and 1" off the foam under the butt. Works grat and looks stock so no pic's to post. No loss of comfort nor am I pushed farther away from the bars. Passenger section is unchanged. Something for those of you who like the stock look and don't want to put a big dent in your credit score.

yellowskeeter1
10-23-2013, 08:22 AM
I am not a big fan of custom seats, but this one did it for me! I will be ordering. Just put my stock seat in the classifieds. Thanks for posting

Jack Raymon
10-23-2013, 10:15 AM
ORERED THIS MORNING.IM 5.10 WE WILL SEE IF I CAN REACH THE BARS.LOL

CruiserCustomizing
10-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Will you guys be selling these?

We have them up on our website now.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/mustang-seats-tripper-fastback-original-one-piece-seat-honda-gl1800-f6b-models-13-newer/part/M-76840

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/mustang-seats-tripper-fastback-deluxe-one-piece-seat-w-tuck-and-roll-center-honda-gl1800-f6b-models-13-newer/part/M-76841

Cool Hand Luke
10-23-2013, 01:18 PM
We have them up on our website now.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/mustang-seats-tripper-fastback-original-one-piece-seat-honda-gl1800-f6b-models-13-newer/part/M-76840

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/mustang-seats-tripper-fastback-deluxe-one-piece-seat-w-tuck-and-roll-center-honda-gl1800-f6b-models-13-newer/part/M-76841

I will be ordering, it is a better deal than from Mustang Website!

dgman2
10-23-2013, 05:57 PM

Hello there,

Maybe you can answer my questions since no one else has. Once you have your seat, could you measure the difference between the actual seating area of the passenger and the rider and compare that to the stock seat? I would like to know if the rider versus passenger head hight while sitting on the bike will be the same as stock. I love the look of the seat and the 1" drop, but I don't want a seat that would have my wife's head higher up than mine. I also would like to know if the sides have been tapered, getting rid of, or diminishing, the pressure on the rider's inner upper thighs when standing still with feet on the ground.
I hope you have the time to check this out for myself and others who might be interested in that info.

Cool Hand Luke
10-23-2013, 06:32 PM
I'll be happy to measure that for you when I get it.

jakec
10-23-2013, 06:53 PM
If you have any questions call Mustang. There customer support is fantastic, they are motorcycle enthusiast and are as helpful as possible. I asked them about the room for the passenger and they E mailed me a picture of the seat with a 12" ruler on the rear half and there is plenty of room for the passenger. I also asked them about the side panels and they said they took the left one off with out any problem, they never tried the right one but they feel confident it would be the same as the left. If you buy from Mustang you have a 10 day trial period if you don"t like it return it. The seat is also narrower then stock and since I only stand 5'5" I'm really pumped about this seat. I'm going to order tomorrow but I can't make up my mind between the standard or deluxe, any opinions which looks better?
Jakec

Cool Hand Luke
10-23-2013, 08:03 PM
I prefer the look of deluxe model.

kjelders
10-23-2013, 08:45 PM
I ordered the Deluxe. I was told I was one of the first 4 to order and those orders will be shipped out within 48 hours.
I will give a critic after I put some time in the saddle. By the way I'm 6' and 225lbs

dgman2
10-23-2013, 08:57 PM
I'll be happy to measure that for you when I get it.

Thanks. Looking forward to the info :icon_biggrin:

kjelders
10-24-2013, 09:04 AM
My MBL Tall Risers will deliver today. I torn down the dash area yesterday so I can install them today. The risers should put me in good position for the Mustang Deluxe.

Steve 0080
10-24-2013, 10:13 PM
dgman2...Just a question....Why would you NOT want a passenger to be able to see over the driver's head.....I want my pillion to be as comfortable as possible and see more than just the back of my head, that way she WANTS to go with me.... Thanks.

dgman2
10-24-2013, 11:12 PM
dgman2...Just a question....Why would you NOT want a passenger to be able to see over the driver's head.....I want my pillion to be as comfortable as possible and see more than just the back of my head, that way she WANTS to go with me.... Thanks.

Jean looks ahead over my shoulders and likes it that way. if she sat up higher, there would be two additional issues she would encounter. One would be more wind noise, especially when not looking directly forward. The other would be increased bumping up against the back of my helmet due to the fact that the lower front of the helmet protrudes further forward than the higher parts. Additionally, she and I both like to sit as low as possible and anything that lowers the center of gravity of the total ride is a plus to both of us.
One of the reasons we like this bike as much as we do is the fact that it is lower than some of our previous rides.
By the way, we ride all of our trips together and she loves it. I bought her two bikes before and she attended and passed two MSF classes and has her MC endorsement. I ended up selling her bikes since she preferred to ride with me and wasn't eager to ride her own even after I replaced her first one with one that was more user friendly for a new rider.

CruiserCustomizing
10-25-2013, 02:21 PM

We would greatly appreciate your feedback regarding the seat if you end up ordering it from Cruiser Customizing. Posting a review on our site, sending us pictures of your F6B with the seat installed, or filming an install video as you are installing the seat on your bike would help future customers decide whether they wish to purchase a Mustang Seat for their F6B's.

Cruiser Customizing works closely with Mustang, Kuryakyn, Cobra and other major manufactures, so please let us know if there are any items that are not currently being produced that you would like to see made available for the F6B. Any feedback that F6B Riders forum members can send our way will help us and our industry partners to make sure that we are offering the best possible selection of F6B accessories.

yellowskeeter1
10-25-2013, 03:35 PM
I ordered mine locally yesterday got the standard one. As soon as I get it in I will post my thoughts. Was told about 10 days or so to get it in.

kjelders
10-25-2013, 03:44 PM
I just heard from Mustang, and my seat was shipped out this afternoon direct from their business. The reason I ended up buying direct is because I called them first to ask about the seat pan and if the finished seat would interfere with removal of either side panel. I talked to one of the seat designers and was assured you could remove either panel without having to remove the Mustang seat.

I will do a write-up on the installation and possible video as well. And after some riding time, my thoughts on seat itself. I will post that here as well as on Cruiser Customizing website.

Dfinkelsteinmd
10-26-2013, 05:36 AM
We would greatly appreciate your feedback regarding the seat if you end up ordering it from Cruiser Customizing. Posting a review on our site, sending us pictures of your F6B with the seat installed, or filming an install video as you are installing the seat on your bike would help future customers decide whether they wish to purchase a Mustang Seat for their F6B's.

Cruiser Customizing works closely with Mustang, Kuryakyn, Cobra and other major manufactures, so please let us know if there are any items that are not currently being produced that you would like to see made available for the F6B. Any feedback that F6B Riders forum members can send our way will help us and our industry partners to make sure that we are offering the best possible selection of F6B accessories.

Can you find or have made a better set of passenger foot pegs or boards? Obviously black would be best but even chrome is an improvement over the alloy OEM crap, especially folded up.

Mustangjake
10-26-2013, 08:41 AM
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/kuryakyn-ribbed-floorboards-for-driver-or-passenger-black-pair-various-models/part/KY-4357

These have five positions

Jack Raymon
10-30-2013, 04:56 PM
SEAT IS ON.TOOK A SHORT RIDE.GOING TO RIDE IT HOME FROM SHOP AND MAKE UP MY MIND.

Mrf13
10-30-2013, 06:27 PM
Pics and a review would be awesome

Mustangjake
10-30-2013, 06:38 PM
The suspense is killing me. Pictures + your opinion we are waiting.:banghead:

Cool Hand Luke
10-30-2013, 07:19 PM
Same here! I actually emailed Mustang last week, I was told that You Can order different color thread and insert for seat. I am thinking about black seat with orange threading and maybe a distressed brown leather insert. But I am dying to know how good the seat is!

Here is the picture of a different Mustang seat with those colors.

1951vbs
10-30-2013, 07:54 PM
Same here! I actually emailed Mustang last week, I was told that You Can order different color thread and insert for seat. I am thinking about black seat with orange threading and maybe a distressed brown leather insert. But I am dying to know how good the seat is!

Here is the picture of a different Mustang seat with those colors.

I like the looks of the Mustang seats! IMO be conservative on seat color unless it is the feature you want people to notice. It can easily be the first thing somebody draws their attention too if it doesn't blend in with the bike. Again just my opinion but I have seen many cool bike features overlooked because you hear "Wow look at that orange Ostrich covered seat".

Cool Hand Luke
10-30-2013, 08:02 PM
I'm just starting to think my bike is a little too much black, little color may not be so bad. Maybe just orange stitching as a small contrast.

Scotrod
10-30-2013, 11:05 PM
IMO be conservative on seat color unless it is the feature you want people to notice. It can easily be the first thing somebody draws their attention too if it doesn't blend in with the bike. Again just my opinion but I have seen many cool bike features overlooked because you hear "Wow look at that orange Ostrich covered seat".

Yep.

Color needs to co-ordinate somehow with what you have elsewhere.

Some additional pin-striping, ghost flames, accents, or what not, but just adding a color in one spot on an otherwise mono-tone bike can have some pretty bizarre side effects! LOL!

IMHO, a bike should appear to be MORE than just the sum of the parts!!! :yes:

Cool Hand Luke
10-31-2013, 06:42 AM
I agree with Scotrod, this may lead me to do more customizing. I may add some air brushed flames on side covers, etc. I also had red painted brake calipers in the past on my black BMW K1200LT and it looked great.

Scotrod
10-31-2013, 07:44 AM
There are lots of little 'accents' a person can add to any vehicle to make it all come together. Worst problem with that it some people don't know when to stop!!! LOL!!!

1951vbs
10-31-2013, 09:56 AM
There are lots of little 'accents' a person can add to any vehicle to make it all come together. Worst problem with that it some people don't know when to stop!!! LOL!!!

I totally agree.

With a bike like a mostly Black F6b it would be easy for one accentuated feature to stand out a little too strong. I personally am a "less is more" kind of guy but see nothing wrong adding chrome accents, paint, wheels etc. I just like it best when it compliments the overall look.

Tastes are very subjective and as long as you end up being happy with it is all that counts!

F6B-RICH
10-31-2013, 10:13 AM
I also agree with some accents.Over the winter which is very soon I am sending out some covers to be Hydrographics/Hydro Dipping.I will either do a
ghosted skull design or a carbon fiber design on some of the covers.The front cowl is cover number one it gets to much abuse from bugs and road crap
and cleaning it will be easier with a clear coat applied over the Hydrographics.

av8rdave
10-31-2013, 12:13 PM
I had a Mustang on my Roadstar and loved it. However, that seat actually raised me slightly and moved me towards the handlebars.

I'll be anxious to hear reviews from anyone who gets one for the F6B. I definitely don't want to be lowered, but slightly further aft would be great.

Cool Hand Luke
10-31-2013, 02:53 PM
I also agree with some accents.Over the winter which is very soon I am sending out some covers to be Hydrographics/Hydro Dipping.I will either do a
ghosted skull design or a carbon fiber design on some of the covers.The front cowl is cover number one it gets to much abuse from bugs and road crap
and cleaning it will be easier with a clear coat applied over the Hydrographics.

That's exactly something I have in mind and have done before. Here are pictures of my previous bike, BMW K1200LT, where all carbon fiber looking parts were hydro dipped. Visible frame, forks and wheels were polished and brake calipers painted red. People loved it wherever I went, kind of like now with F6B, in fact I sold it with over 80,000 miles on it to a gentleman that offered to buy it while I was on a ferry going from Jacksonville Beach to Amelia Island FL on my way back home from Daytona bikeweek.

pittprof
10-31-2013, 03:09 PM
Just as an FYI incase anybody was waiting for it, Mustang released their F6B seat today.

http://www.mustangseats.com/Product/76840/Honda-2013-Gold-Wing-F6B-Tripper-Fastback

I have one arriving tomorrow. I'll let you all know what it's like. And I'll try to post pics, although they have a pretty good pic on the Mustang site. I asked if it worked with the deluxe, and they said yes. At $580 (only a buck for shipping), I'm willing to give it a try. My last favorite seat for my Valkyrie was an Ultimate. Still waiting on that company to make one.

I'm hopeful about the Mustang for my comfort and my wife's. I've owned Mustang seats and liked them.

Cool Hand Luke
10-31-2013, 04:35 PM
Just got this picture from Mustang as an example of which panels can be ordered in a different color. Red is too strong for me but I really like the deluxe seat. Mustang is also mailing me samples of two colors I am considering, distressed brown and mandarin orange, free.

So far I think their customer service is exemplary.

Johnny-B
10-31-2013, 08:19 PM
Ordered mine on the 29th from cruisercustomizing.com, but no clue since payment of when it will arrive.

kjelders
10-31-2013, 08:22 PM
My Mustang Deluxe Seat will be here Monday. I'm anxious to get and test it out.

BobootzSHIRTS
10-31-2013, 08:32 PM
I've sent 2 emails to Mustang . One about heat option and one about stitching color pics and no response yet. Glad others are getting info and sharing. Thanks

Scotrod
10-31-2013, 08:39 PM
WHERE IS JACK RAYMON??!!??!!

He must live a Loooooooong way from the shop!!!!! :shock:

kjelders
10-31-2013, 08:50 PM
I've sent 2 emails to Mustang . One about heat option and one about stitching color pics and no response yet. Glad others are getting info and sharing. Thanks

Call Mustang and ask to speak with Dave. He has answered my calls or called me back if he wasn't available at the time.

Cool Hand Luke
10-31-2013, 08:58 PM

I'm not aware there is a heated seat option but I'll ask anyway. I was told on the phone today it takes approx. two weeks to get the seat after order is made. Also, different color stitching and panel insert cost additional $120; it is the same price if you get just the stitching without the panel insert color as these seats are custom made. They are also not returnable as they are custom, that is why Mustang is sending me color samples so I can make a correct choice for me. Good news is the shipping is only $1! So that saves a bit of money.

All in all I like it, I like the company, I dealt with them before, I see them every year at Daytona Bikeweek and they do stand by their products. On my HD Road King I had a studed Mustang seat. Couple of studs broke off as my wife would hit them with her boot dismounting. They replaced the studs and fixed the seat at the Bikeweek right away for free.

BobootzSHIRTS
10-31-2013, 09:11 PM
Thanks... I really like the look of it and was also curious if they'll match material on a factory backrest if sent to them. I like the stock but I think I'll like the Mustang more.I appreciate the info.

Steve 0080
10-31-2013, 10:00 PM
Cool Hand Luke..... where is the Mustang dealer located in Daytona? There is quite a selection in a store( can't remember the name ) in S. Daytona....

Cool Hand Luke
11-01-2013, 05:50 AM
Cool Hand Luke..... where is the Mustang dealer located in Daytona? There is quite a selection in a store( can't remember the name ) in S. Daytona....

During the Bikeweek Mustang has a mobile store by JP Cycles at Destination Daytona and maybe by Speedway. The dealers listed on Mustang's website for Daytona are:

DAYTONA HARLEY-DAVIDSON
290 NORTH BEACH STREET
DAYTONA, FL 32114
(386) 253-2453

MADDEN'S ACE HARDWARE
2034 S. RIDGEWOOD AVE.
SOUTH DAYTONA, FL 32119

In addition JP Cycles carries Mustang products and if they don't have them in stock they will mail it to you for free, or at least they did this in the past.

Steve 0080
11-01-2013, 07:59 AM
There ya go...now I remember !!!! I will be there is the spring....

Scotrod
11-01-2013, 08:24 AM
Mustang trailer should be at the Lone Star Rally in Galveston this weekend. (Has been for years now)

Weather should be EXECELLENT.

Y'all come on down!!! :icon_biggrin:

F6BPDX
11-01-2013, 11:53 AM
I wonder how close that red is to the red F6B paint. Maybe I need to give Mustang a call and see if I can get a sample because if it matches well....hmmm...

pittprof
11-01-2013, 04:55 PM
I have one arriving tomorrow. I'll let you all know what it's like. And I'll try to post pics, although they have a pretty good pic on the Mustang site. I asked if it worked with the deluxe, and they said yes. At $580 (only a buck for shipping), I'm willing to give it a try. My last favorite seat for my Valkyrie was an Ultimate. Still waiting on that company to make one.

I'm hopeful about the Mustang for my comfort and my wife's. I've owned Mustang seats and liked them.

I didn't get anything fancy, but it went on easily and I like the fit so far. So does my wife.

Cool Hand Luke
11-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Great pictures, thank you! Can you tell us did you notice a difference in riding position, bend in your knees, reach to footpegs/floorboards?

Steve 0080
11-01-2013, 11:06 PM
Is it just me ... or does the stock seat look like it came off a scooter??? the step thru kind....

Scotrod
11-02-2013, 08:22 AM
The Mustang does have a sporty/low slung/appealing look! :yes:

I wish I was (A LOT!) smaller as I might fit better in 'normal human' sized stuff.

Pic 4 reminds me of my size and fitment issues,,,,,, Kinda like a Jumbo egg trying to fit in a 'medium' carton,, :shock:

BY ALL MEANS, lots of folks are interested in this seat and the more reviews we can get, the better!!!!

Just by the pics, it looks a bit narrower and should help with reaching the ground. Would be nice to get folks stats when they help us with reviews of these seats.

Inseam, HT, approx. weight, etc

kjelders
11-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Is it just me ... or does the stock seat look like it came off a scooter??? the step thru kind....

It's just not you. The first time I looked at the F6B I thought the same thing. I told myself that scooter seat has to go.

pittprof
11-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Great pictures, thank you! Can you tell us did you notice a difference in riding position, bend in your knees, reach to footpegs/floorboards?

I haven't had time to ride the bike with the new seat, and it has been a bit chilly (no excuse, I know). But the weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow. Think I'll take me and my wife down to the casino to play cards tomorrow on it. Styling wise, it really does look better than the stock. And it actually feels better texture wise. I'll post something tomorrow night about the ride. The casinos about 20 or 30 minutes away.

Gonzo
11-02-2013, 05:29 PM

Ultimate seat is also coming out with a seat in about two weeks, they are finalizing fit right now, I spoke to Des Hockley he said pictures and info will be out in about two weeks, Check out there site at that time Ultimate Seats. I'm also waiting for comments from someone.

Steve 0080
11-02-2013, 05:45 PM
When Ultimate seat is done... I will ride over and check it out !!!!! Post some pic's and see what they look like !!!!!

Cool Hand Luke
11-02-2013, 06:26 PM
20-30 minute ride should be sufficient for first impression, I'm just curious if lowered seat height is still comfortable, although it should be. Thanks again for posting.

Ultimate Seats has been saying 'in about two weeks' for a while now, I stopped at their store during Biketoberfest and they told me the same. They showed me a picture of a new seat with foam only and said the cover has already been made, however I was also told that they can only work on the new seat in between bike shows and travels. But I am willing to wait, although I really like the looks of Mustang Deluxe seat the best so far. Corbin looks great but I used them before and I am not a fan, too hard for me, and no matter what they claim, it stayed hard.

bobbyf6b
11-02-2013, 11:18 PM
I didn't get anything fancy, but it went on easily and I like the fit so far. So does my wife.

I did 1000 miles in 16 hours on the stock seat without any butt pain. I was really surprised. That being said, I really like the looks and features of that Mustang seat. I can't wait to hear your review after your ride tomorrow. I would like to sit an inch lower for better foot placement and a little more wind protection from the shield. I'm just worried my butt and knees might not be happy.

MichaelG
11-04-2013, 07:49 PM
A couple of us found some problems with the NEW Mustang seats today, and have spoken to Dave at Mustang about it, and his crew dwon at R&D are scrambling to figure out the fix, and made changes.

PittProf, if your new Mustang seat mounted correctly and nicely to the bike, then it may be from a different batch, or a mold change has been made. It is good if your seat did mount properly, but we had a vastly different experience today.

I rode over to Kevins place today...(thank goodness for Gerbing heated clothing)...and he had already received his new Mustang seat this morning before I got there. He was having problems mounting it, as it did not fit right.

What we found was three (3) problems that need to be fixed.

# 1...the seat mold has been changed at the factory, because the prototype that Dave (at Mustang) was measuring is different than what we had at Kevins' place. The seat mold needs to be redone, as it does not allow the seat to be mounted 100 % forward, up close to the fuel door, like the stock seat was. The seat Kevin received today had a gap of close to 1/2 inch, away from the fuel door area. It was quite obvious that the seat needed to come forward another 1/2 inch. In discussing this with Dave, at Mustang, we found the problem, and the seats will have to be remolded.

The new mold will allow the seat pan to be forward by another 1/4 inch...and item # 2...below...will allow the seat to be forward the additional 1/4 inch, to make up the full 1/2 inch it needed to be correct.

# 2...the rear bracket...that is riveted to the seat pan, is 1/4 inch too far forward, so as it is now, the seat rear bracket will not line up with the holes on the bodywork, to secure the seat to the bike. In comparing this bracket from Mustang with the OEM bracket that is bolted to the bottom of a stock seat, we found that the OEM bracket has arms that are bent backwards, to match up to the bikes holes for mounting. In the end, Dave, at Mustang, agreed that the bracket need to be changed.

# 3...when the above changes are made, that moves the entire seast forward a total of 1/2 inch, which then means that the SIDE holes on the seat...the holes used for mounting the seat to the bike via the grab rails, will be off by 1/2 inch. Right now...they line up correctly, but when changes # 1 and # 2 are made to the seat, the SIDE holes will need to be moved backward a 1/2 inch.

Mustang is on top of this, and working quickly to make changes. Both Kevin and I individually spoke to Dave, at Mustang, and he has a clear picture of what needs to be done.

"IF" you have a NEW Mustang seat already, and it fits...that is great. But somewhere along the line sonething got changed, and not for the better. If you have a New Mustang seat and it does NOT mount up correctly, do not force it. Contact Dave at Mustang, let him know, and he will take care of you.

bobbyf6b
11-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Where's Dave?

Cool Hand Luke
11-04-2013, 09:25 PM
Miles, thanks for posting. I guess it's good I haven't ordered it yet. I don't understand how come these errors exist yet seems like some seats came out OK from pictures I have seen. However I would expect Mustang to correct the problem shortly as they have excellent customer service in my opinion.

pittprof
11-05-2013, 12:02 AM

I don't think you sit that much further back, but I put those wedges under my handlebars for pullback. You are definitely closer to the ground, and my legs seem straight up and down now on the floorboards. My highway pegs seem much more comfortable, and the back support is the best I've ever seen without a real backrest.

pittprof
11-05-2013, 12:18 AM
I had no real problem mounting the seat. One of those back brackets was bent a bit, probably from shipping, so I straightened it and the other side fit over the hole just fine. I'm not too worried about those brackets, since the real fasteners for the seat are on the side bars. I really like how the seat feels riding. I'm 6 foot and weigh about 190-95. My wife is bigger than me and she liked the back seat better than stock.

I did notice that the front of the seat seems to sit back very slightly compared to the stock seat. It's about 1 3/4 inches from the bottom of the fuel door. It's not really anything that is noticeable to me. I'm happy with the way it fits. Sorry you guys are having so much trouble.

pittprof
11-05-2013, 12:20 AM
When Ultimate seat is done... I will ride over and check it out !!!!! Post some pic's and see what they look like !!!!!

I'm interested in what they do, too, Steve. Keep us posted.

Steve 0080
11-05-2013, 12:33 AM
I do like the look of the Mustang seat !!!! And yes when Ultimate has a seat in Daytona I will be on their doorstep!!!

kjelders
11-05-2013, 09:17 AM
Thanks Miles for coming by yesterday and for the summary you posted. I'm confident Mustang will make it right.

kjelders
11-05-2013, 10:45 AM
I talked with Dave Humphrey of Mustang this morning. They had an "All Engineers" meeting first thing this morning. They are stopping the production of the F6B seats. They discovered the production mold for the pan is not correct. They have brought back to the shop a F6B and will be re-engineering the seat pan mold. Overall, the seat is too short. They are re-structuring the nose of the seat with promises of an easier mounting bracket systems. They are currently making the new seat pan mold.

Also, Dave is asking anyone who has the F6B Mustang seat to contact him. (800-243-1392). He will send you via email a RMA to return the seat. Mustang will replace the seat with the new re-engineered seat when it is available.

jimsol1
11-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Seat is too short, mustang is aware, and sending shipping label to return, did not speak to Dave, but guy I talked to seemed genuinely apologetic and helpful. New seat should have different mounting system, easier than 1st mustang. Jim

kjelders
11-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Seat is too short, mustang is aware, and sending shipping label to return, did not speak to Dave, but guy I talked to seemed genuinely apologetic and helpful. New seat should have different mounting system, easier than 1st mustang. Jim

Great Customer Services from Mustang. I'm confident this will be a great seat.

Tbone56
11-05-2013, 11:24 AM
I received my Mustang seat today also, and like others does not fit. I called Mustang and they are sending a UPS shipping label to return the seat directly to Mustang, even though I purchased from Cruiser Customizing. Expected them to tell me to call Cruiser Customizing, so I consider that good customer service.

kjelders
11-05-2013, 11:35 AM
I received my Mustang seat today also, and like others does not fit. I called Mustang and they are sending a UPS shipping label to return the seat directly to Mustang, even though I purchased from Cruiser Customizing. Expected them to tell me to call Cruiser Customizing, so I consider that good customer service.

Dave and others at Mustang are determined to make this right. The company has been in business for years and they will not let their reputation get tarnished. They understand the best marketing for after market products are the members of forums. Dave encourages all feedback on even the slightest imperfection.

CruiserCustomizing
11-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Can you find or have made a better set of passenger foot pegs or boards? Obviously black would be best but even chrome is an improvement over the alloy OEM crap, especially folded up.

We just added Rivco Black Anodized Billet Passenger Floorboards to the Cruiser Customizing Web-Site this morning. They measure 8 inches long X 5 inches wide and they look tough. Only prototype images are currently available, but the production version should look very close to the prototype images. The floorboards come with mounting hardware and retail for $249.95.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/rivco-premium-billet-aluminum-passenger-floorboards-black-anodized-honda-gl100-f6b-models-13-and-newer/part/RIV-F6B0005

Kuryakyn offers a Transformer Passenger Floorboard for GL1800 Goldwing and F6B Models, but currently only available in chrome:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/kuryakyn-transformer-passenger-floorboards-pair-honda-goldwing-gl1800-01-to-newer-gl1800-f6b-models-13-newer/part/KY-7006

Kuryakyn also offers a Passenger Cruise Peg for GL1800 Goldwing and F6B Models. again only available in chrome right now:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/kuryakyn-passenger-cruise-pegs-honda-gl1800-goldwing-models-01-and-newer-gl1800-f6b-models-13-newer/part/KY-7016

More options will be available shortly.

CruiserCustomizing
11-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Mustang discovered a problem with the initial production of F6B Seats. They do not fit properly at the front portion of the seat making them difficult to install and the design prevents removal of the side covers. Mustang says that the initial run of seats will fit, but Mustang has told us that they will gladly replace any of the seats purchased with the new updated design. Any forum members who have purchased a Mustang F6B Seat from Cruiser Customizing and are unhappy with the fit, please contact our Customer Care Dept at 1-888-857-5417 so we can exchange your seat with the updated version.

Johnny-B
11-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Got mine today also, got too excited and then read all these posts only to come up short also, removal of backrest and seat only to put OEM stuff back on and wait for a RMA, just hope turn-around isn't too long.

pittprof
11-05-2013, 08:16 PM

bobbyf6b
11-05-2013, 09:43 PM
I wonder if they will re-use all those skins from the bad ones. I would buy one of those "bad" ones for a big discount, especially if they're going in the trash.

kjelders
11-05-2013, 10:51 PM

Thanks pittprof for the pictures. The nose of the seat against the top shelter was what I wanted to see on your seat.

Yeahoo Whoyah
11-06-2013, 07:58 AM
Miles, thanks for posting. I guess it's good I haven't ordered it yet. I don't understand how come these errors exist yet seems like some seats came out OK from pictures I have seen.

:thumb:
I would like to hear the story of how a long established company could let something like this happen. What happened to their processes, procedures, and plans?

bobbyf6b
11-06-2013, 09:20 AM
Can someone talk to Dave, at Mustang, and ask what they're gonna do with all these returns? Some of us could survive with a small imperfection like that, especially if there's a considerable discount.

kjelders
11-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Can someone talk to Dave, at Mustang, and ask what they're gonna do with all these returns? Some of us could survive with a small imperfection like that, especially if there's a considerable discount.

Reply from Dave at Mustang.

"No seconds are ever allowed out into the public. We shred and destroy any seat that is not 1st quality."

bobbyf6b
11-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Reply from Dave at Mustang.

"No seconds are ever allowed out into the public. We shred and destroy any seat that is not 1st quality."

Bummer, but I understand. A good company doesn't want anyone to see their name on a crappy product. Thanks for asking! :icon_cool:

yellowskeeter1
11-06-2013, 04:34 PM
I got a call from both mustang as well as my local dealer about the issues and received an rma and sent seat back today. I did sit on it while I was trying to fit it and I really like it. Much better than the stock. I was a little bummed with the issue but their customer service and Gwen have been so nice that I will be eagerly looking for the replacement. I must say quality and looks of the seat where awesome. Well new model and €£^% happens, how you take care if it is what counts, and that they have.

bobbyf6b
11-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Well new model and €£^% happens, how you take care if it is what counts, and that they have.

:biggthumpup:

That makes all the difference. I will be seriously considering the Mustang seat for my bike.

kjelders
11-06-2013, 05:11 PM
I received my RMA today as well and will be shipping the seat back this afternoon.

Dave was telling me yesterday, once the issue was brought to light, they stopped the production of the F6B seat. And, it was all hands on deck to correct the problems and get the re-designed seats out to the customers as quickly as possible.

MichaelG
11-06-2013, 05:38 PM
I received my RMA today as well and will be shipping the seat back this afternoon.

Dave was telling me yesterday, once the issue was brought to light, they stopped the production of the F6B seat. And, it was all hands on deck to correct the problems and get the re-designed seats out to the customers as quickly as possible.

Okay, Kevin, I suppose that you and I should feel like a couple poopy-heads for finding all the errors on this new Mustang seat. :icon_frown:

It is unfortunate, but as has been said, new seat, a couple design errors, and they appear to be seriously stepping up to the plate for good customer service. Next time, I will just keep my eyes and mouth closed, and let Kevin ride around on a bad seat.:icon_rolleyes: His butt won't know the difference.

kjelders
11-06-2013, 06:13 PM
You should probably go check on your bike in the garage and make sure your RDL is still on the bike. 😊

No officer, I know nothing about his missing seat. Sparky is still suffering some memory lapse. 😃